Starting to sound like Ubisoft will stop releasing games on PC.

• 80 results
MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrCandleguy

LINK:http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/138269.20111124.I-Am-Alive-unlikely-to-see-PC-release/ 

Some quotes from the douche bag:  “loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching.”
“Are these people just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?”  

Advice for Ubisoft. How about you make a GOOD PC version of a game WITHOUT your bullshit DRM. Put it on steam and maybe people will buy your game. People have no problem buying a game if it works. Skyrim has almost always 200k people playing on steam all the time.  

I'm starting to really dislike you ubisoft. We had a good thing going, this is why we can't have nice things.  

EDIT: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ubisoft-i-am-alive-skipping-pc-because-its-not-worth-it/ 
Thats PC gamer having a go lol.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Hey, psst, down here.. Ubisoft games are on steam. Don't tell anyone!

I've not had a problem yet with their PC DRM stuff though, not yet anyways, so I'm still behind Ubisoft and their games.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By samfo
@ZeForgotten: same here, never had any issues with DRM. I think tons of people love to get up in arms about it even though it hasn't affected them.
People used to HATE steam. And now everyone wants to have sex with it.
MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrCandleguy
@ZeForgotten: By put it on steam I mean without their added DRM. just straight steam.  
also... hello down there!
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

@SamFo: That's what usually happens. People hate on things for no reason at all.

It's like saying "That movie is terrible!" without having watched it. Or heck even when a movie gets announced like "We're gonna start making a movie about *insert something here* in late 2012!" and everyone going "That movies gonna suck while all they have is the name for the movie

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrCandleguy
@ZeForgotten said:

@SamFo: That's what usually happens. People hate on things for no reason at all.

It's like saying "That movie is terrible!" without having watched it. Or heck even when a movie gets announced like "We're gonna start making a movie about *insert something here* in late 2012!" and everyone going "That movies gonna suck while all they have is the name for the movie

I just don't like my DRM in my DRM they are ubisoft not Xzibit. They seem surprised that people pirate their game despite them DRM the hell outta their games, or even lying to people about it. From Dust anyone? 
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By adoggz

they should have stopped putting them out on pc a long time ago.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Simplexity

Surprised they've kept making Pc ports for so long to be honest.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jozzy

Aparently the DRM is succesful in declining piracy, or they wouldnt do it. Not saying I agree with it, but I bet they have a better idea of the effect of DRM than you.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@SamFo: except a lot of their games required internet connection at some point, even for retail copies. Just because you have internet doesn't mean A) everyone does or B) that those things can't go wrong. When the servers go down and people get affected, like a LOT of people have been with Ubisoft games, then yeah, it's reasonable to say they go too far. And you know what? Piracy probably didn't go down at all. I know for a fact that all of those DRM things they did didn't stop piracy at all. There is no denying that there were problems with their DRM in the past that were UNACCEPTABLE and even influenced the entire user base. There were times NO ONE could play some of their games because their servers were down for their online-only games. You don't need to experience something to know you're at risk for shit like that happening to you in the future.Ubisoft has a history of SERIOUS problems with it's DRM.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aegon

Hate to sound ignorant but uh, what's DRM?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BionicRadd

Step 1 - Release everything on Steam or at retail with Steamworks

Step 2 - Make sure the port isnt half-assed

Step 3 - Dont add additional DRM on top Steam

Step 4 - Enjoy PC games that actually sell

I realize Ubi is basically a console company trying to play in the PC pool but god damn, it really isn't that hard to get people to go along with DRM when it's something like Steam that serves to enhance their experience by way of a unified friends framework and achievement system. PCs are at a point now where playing console style games is no longer a huge pain in the ass (who misses going through a setup process for your controller for every game you wanted to use it on??), so if you they would just put out good ports, people will buy them.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By samfo
@MordeaniisChaos: Anybody who doesn't have the internet is a cunt...
Yes I know that's offensive, but they won't see it.

Always on DRM = bad.
One time activation = fine, as long as servers stay up.
MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrCandleguy
@BionicRadd: I think Ubisoft reads stuff like this, puts their fingers in their ears and go "NA NA NA NA, not our fault people pirate our games. NO ONE MUST BUY GAMES ON PC."  

@SamFo said:
@MordeaniisChaos: Anybody who doesn't have the internet is a cunt... Yes I know that's offensive, but they won't see it.  
I read the first part, i thought what a asshole.  
Read the second part... kinda makes sense. Well done. 
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands

@H2Oyea said:

Digital Rights Management. It's the stuff on PC games that tries to combat piracy by making it more difficult to play legitimately.

Ex. Games that require an online connection at all times and kill themselves if you lose connection for a moment. I believe Ubisoft uses that style but I have not purchased one of their games on PC so I can't say for certain.

Also, Ubisoft released Senko no Ronde here (NA) so I still like them even if they are assholes :(

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz
@H2Oyea said:

here you go
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By samfo
@MrCandleguy: haha, i said it entirely in jest. 
But the point was. It's an odd thing to complain on the internet about how some people don't have the internet :)
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubisoft has quickly become a developer I highly dislike.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By robot4me

@H2Oyea: not shure what drm means but it is protection to stop piracy of games. the only problem is the pirates still get their game and the legit customers get a major pain in the ass. for example some console single player games that don't need online will be ported to the pc with drm that always need an internet connection to play the game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The only Ubisoft game that interests me is Assassin's Creed, so I don't personally care. 

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dystonym

@jozzy: It's also successful in lowering sales, though. Or at least bouncing what would have been PC sales off onto other platforms.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funkydupe

@MrCandleguy: Wait.. so Anno 2070 has both Steam -and- Ubisoft DRM protection?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DonPixel

@ZeForgotten said:

I've not had a problem yet with their PC DRM stuff though, not yet anyways, so I'm still behind Ubisoft and their games.

Anno 2070 is a good game developed for PC. Trackmania 1 and 2 both published by Ubisoft, I don't care about DMR it's a bit annoying but we should be mad at pirates not at developers.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DonPixel

@MrCandleguy said:

LINK:http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/138269.20111124.I-Am-Alive-unlikely-to-see-PC-release/ Some quotes from the douche bag: “loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching.” “Are these people just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?” Advice for Ubisoft. How about you make a GOOD PC version of a game WITHOUT your bullshit DRM. Put it on steam and maybe people will buy your game. People have no problem buying a game if it works. Skyrim has almost always 200k people playing on steam all the time. I'm starting to really dislike you ubisoft. We had a good thing going, this is why we can't have nice things.

Not trying to be a dick but you sound quite ignorant and cliche.. talking about bitching.

Anyway Ubisoft has released a lot of good PC games both ports and PC exclusive games, I've been playing Anno 2070 today and it's the best "Sim City" like in a looong time. As far as DMR goes I'm not annoyed by it, I always purachase my games and I'm always online anyway. Ubisoft has the right as everyone else to protect their property for thieves.

I think as a community goes we need to start putting our money were our mouth is, Because other than the Sims, WoW and BF3 truth is PC has less than stellar sales numbers.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fullmetal5550

If I made a game and 50,000 people bought it, I would be ecstatic. If Ubisoft were to release it on Steam for $20.00 and 50,000 people bought it than they would make around $1,000,000.00. Would it really cost more than that to develop a PC version?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slaker117

I believe Ryan aid something along these lines on the bombcast. "Well, if you don't like their DRM, don't buy it. And then they'll stop making PC games. Good job."

Kind of sad, but if that's what business forces them to do, well, money talks.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TorMasturba

@MrCandleguy said:

LINK:http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/138269.20111124.I-Am-Alive-unlikely-to-see-PC-release/ Some quotes from the douche bag: “loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching.” “Are these people just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?” Advice for Ubisoft. How about you make a GOOD PC version of a game WITHOUT your bullshit DRM. Put it on steam and maybe people will buy your game. People have no problem buying a game if it works. Skyrim has almost always 200k people playing on steam all the time. I'm starting to really dislike you ubisoft. We had a good thing going, this is why we can't have nice things.

I'm no fanboy I just feel the need to say that I don't have a problem with Ubisoft's DRM, my internet never goes down without me purposefully pressing the power switch, and that rarely happens at all, if ever.

My above statement being the standard situation these days I don't see the problem with Ubisoft's policy with DRM, I mean when you go to the gas/petrol station do you leave your car unlocked with the door wide open for everyone to gape at and be tempted by, or do you lock it and hope that nobody who knows how to hot-wire it passes by like evybody in the known world with a semblance of intelligence does. Protecting your investment makes sense, no matter how bad the thievery of it gets.(and it doesn't really penalise real consumer of their products either.)

Sure DRM is very quickly surpassable these day, but that doesn't mean they should just give up on trying to protect their investments.

Especially since, if your internet connection is at least 350kb/s (I'm sorry if it's that low, because that's what I used have and it sucked but it worked), you shouldn't have a damn problem keeping a connection to Ubisoft, (for repuation reasons, like as if I actually had one, my current connection speed is 5MB/s)

Btw I have AC 1+2+Brotherhood over Steam that have Ubisoft's DRM going on in the background, and don't have a single complaint about Ubisoft's DRM even though I've played at least 75 hours in each game (20 hours for the first AC, because it wasn't all that great a game.) and that's baring in mind that I've played AC 2+Brotherhood both twice through.

Also, you might note that I've talked about AC games being on Steam, yeah I don't understand you're getting that "none of their games are on Steam" from...

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pinworm45

And nothing of value was lost.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slaker117
@fullmetal5550 said:

If I made a game and 50,000 people bought it, I would be ecstatic. If Ubisoft were to release it on Steam for $20.00 and 50,000 people bought it than they would make around $1,000,000.00. Would it really cost more than that to develop a PC version?

That would be nice, but you aren't looking at the bigger picture. If they charge significantly less for a game on PC, how many console gamers are going to take notice and switch over? In that case, they aren't gaining a sale, they'd be losing money. If they are happy with the numbers they're getting on consoles when changing $60, how much of that are they willing to risk to serve a smaller audience on PC? Making everyone happy would be great, but at some point it stops making sense to pursue that.
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Funkydupe

@fullmetal5550: Its really interesting and really obvious at the same time. If games were cheaper, more people would buy them, even for PC. If something is a proof of the fact I only need mention: Steam Sales. The first weekend Left 4 Dead went on sale it increased its sales by 4000%. Four. Thousand. Percent.

In light of this though: Console games aren't what we'd call cheap. However, the user-base don't have as much pressure to update to current hardware.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TorMasturba

@Funkydupe said:

@fullmetal5550: Its really interesting and really obvious at the same time. If games were cheaper, more people would buy them, even for PC. If something is a proof of the fact I only need mention: Steam Sales. The first weekend Left 4 Dead went on sale it increased its sales by 4000%. Four. Thousand. Percent.

In light of this though: Console games aren't what we'd call cheap. However, the user-base don't have as much pressure to update to current hardware.

Ubisoft may see this with their own games as 4000% of thier games that could've made them considerably more money had each singular unit been sold on console platforms instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pc gaming sessions, but I'm a realist and businesses only thrive when they go where the money is, why sell a single unit(1 videogame) for $40 on a platform that is rife with piracy when you can sell it on a different platform for $20 more with considerably less piracy.

Not to sound condescending but they see the maths in these simple terms of 1+1=2 in these situation, why should they go and sell on a platform that has an equation of 1+0.6=1.4 (this doesn't make sense on purpose because what they're putting in in terms of investment capital into the pc market they may not be getting what they want back out of it.)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo

They're going to use the leftover PC port funds to help fund Beyond Good & Evil 2 hahahahaha

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan

Oh no! One less sloppily ported example of mediocrity to have on PC... whatever will I do now?! :O

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ftomato

@fullmetal5550: It's a digital release on consoles, so it'll probably cost $15 on PC, and then there's Steam's cut, which is at the very least 20% because Ubisoft is a big publisher, but likely more like 30%. Even at 20%, that's only $600,000. If it takes 12 people 3 months to make it (which sounds about right), that can easily reach those number. Then consider they'll probably lose XBLA / PSN sales due to people pirating it (yes, not every pirate would have bought it, but some amount of them would).

Plus, I Am Alive is looking increasingly like a niche title, so it may have problems making the number of copies it needs to be profitable.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Ha, Gameplanet.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phrosnite

I hope they do stop. GTFO Ubisoft.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TentPole

So he is right about the bitching. Right?

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrCandleguy
@DonPixel: less than stellar sales? Wow, really? 
Minecraft 4mil 
Valve is more profitable per employee than Google. Why? Steam 
200k people playing Skyrim on steam at least every day. 
Humble indie bundles make MILLIONS of dollars. 

I agree we are not on par with consoles, but that doesn't mean you can't make money on the PC.  
So please i'm not   ignorant  

@TorMasturba said:

@MrCandleguy said:

I'm no fanboy I just feel the need to say that I don't have a problem with Ubisoft's DRM, my internet never goes down without me purposefully pressing the power switch, and that rarely happens at all, if ever.

My above statement being the standard situation these days I don't see the problem with Ubisoft's policy with DRM, I mean when you go to the gas/petrol station do you leave your car unlocked with the door wide open for everyone to gape at and be tempted by, or do you lock it and hope that nobody who knows how to hot-wire it passes by like evybody in the known world with a semblance of intelligence does. Protecting your investment makes sense, no matter how bad the thievery of it gets.(and it doesn't really penalise real consumer of their products either.)

Sure DRM is very quickly surpassable these day, but that doesn't mean they should just give up on trying to protect their investments.

Especially since, if your internet connection is at least 350kb/s (I'm sorry if it's that low, because that's what I used have and it sucked but it worked), you shouldn't have a damn problem keeping a connection to Ubisoft, (for repuation reasons, like as if I actually had one, my current connection speed is 5MB/s)

Btw I have AC 1+2+Brotherhood over Steam that have Ubisoft's DRM going on in the background, and don't have a single complaint about Ubisoft's DRM even though I've played at least 75 hours in each game (20 hours for the first AC, because it wasn't all that great a game.) and that's baring in mind that I've played AC 2+Brotherhood both twice through.

Also, you might note that I've talked about AC games being on Steam, yeah I don't understand you're getting that "none of their games are on Steam" from...

My internet goes down maybe every few days for a bit, its not a big deal i agree. its just annoying. I understand the point of DRM, they want to protect their work. I get it, but they are making HONEST buyers jump through hoops. While pirates get rid of the DRM in a few days, and overall have a better experience when they didn't buy the game. So who wins there? Pirates do, thats not how it should be. That's what annoys me. 

Ubisoft servers haven't always been reliable, I think AC2 they were down for a few days? Thats when this DRM bites you in the ass. 

Also can you point out where i said that their games weren't on steam? I can't seem to find it. 
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Branthog

Yeah, I've been saying for years now that game developers and publishers (especially UBI) were trying to make PC gaming such an unwelcoming experience that even those who care about PC gaming stop buying PC versions of games (or stop buying the games at all). That way it drives down PC sales, they can justify not producing for the PC anymore, and then focus entirely on consoles without seeming to have directly just ditched PC (because they can claim it was based on the sales). And those who supposedly are full-throttle in support of PCs turn out to be treating them like step-children (ala BF3 suddenly became a console-focused game for them).

It's kind of like when a musician has a four record deal with a company and half way through, their relationship with the record company turns to shit and they just put out two more shitty records made intentionally shitty just so they could fulfill the "two more albums" clause in their contract.

Of course, whenever I say "PC gaming is dying because developers want to kill it", I get shouted down. Until someone in the industry says exactly that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ZeForgotten: To be fair, back in the early days, Steam was an unwieldy fucking nightmare.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If it was profitable they'd keep doing it.  Period.  Exclamation point.  Umlaut.

Ubisoft is a business.  If putting games on the PC made them money, they'd keep doing it regardless of how angry it makes the consumers.  They're in the business of making money.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sooty

I hate the always on DRM, couldn't play Conviction because the fucking authentication servers went down.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ZeForgotten
@SamFo

Ubisoft DRM has affected me personally.
It is much more stringent and inconvinient then Steam DRM.
I've had major issues trying to play my single player games while in regions with poor internet connectivity.

It's not a simple issue of having internet or not.
That's the entire problem with their DRM is that it fucks up, with ANY internet problems. Lost connection, poor bandwidth, remote locations (lag)

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By tourgen

@adoggz said:

yep. I stopped buying their junk years ago. It's good they are finally giving up and slinking away in shame. They failed and it's time to clear out for the people who know how to do it right.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Tennmuerti
@tourgen said:

@adoggz said:

yep. I stopped buying their junk years ago. It's good they are finally giving up and slinking away in shame. They failed and it's time to clear out for the people who know how to do it right.

I actually found the PC ports of their major games quite good.
The Assassin's Creed franchice for example I found always played much better on PC.
Only real issue I had with Ubisoft games on the PC is the alwats online DRM
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By tourgen
@TorMasturba said:

@Funkydupe said:

Ubisoft may see this with their own games as 4000% of thier games that could've made them considerably more money had each singular unit been sold on console platforms instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pc gaming sessions, but I'm a realist and businesses only thrive when they go where the money is, why sell a single unit(1 videogame) for $40 on a platform that is rife with piracy when you can sell it on a different platform for $20 more with considerably less piracy.

Not to sound condescending but they see the maths in these simple terms of 1+1=2 in these situation, why should they go and sell on a platform that has an equation of 1+0.6=1.4 (this doesn't make sense on purpose because what they're putting in in terms of investment capital into the pc market they may not be getting what they want back out of it.)

Don't worry you don't sound condescending, you sound like someone who does not understand even the very basics of economics.

Removing the choice of the purchase at the $40 price point does not mean any more sales will take place at the $60 price point (they're not even equivalent products, jesus).  There are plenty of consumers who's threshold is around $30-$40 for a game.  They will simply buy SOME OTHER GAME at $40, or not a game at all and instead opt for some other form of entertainment.  It's not like food or water where you have little choice.

It really is just Ubisoft admitting failure in the PC market and cutting their loses.  It takes infrastructure & people to maintain marketing and distribution in the PC market.  They suck at it so they are giving up.  That's all that's really going on.
zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zaglis
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By phish09

I think piracy is obviously an issue on PC, we all know that . Obviously a lot of us are honest and pay for our games, but really, when was the last time you bought a PC game for full price? I don't think I ever have. Studios obviously move a lot of unit's on Steam, but I wonder how much money they make when people like me wait for the game to drop to $5.00 or so before pulling the trigger. I do the same thing with XBLA and PSN too, but I buy a lot of XBOX, PS3 and Wii (ok, maybe not a lot of Wii games) games for full retail price because I know they won't drop in price by 75% a few weeks after I purchase them.

I'm not really condemning or condoning Ubisoft's stance...I'm just wondering if there are other gamers like me who don't really spend the kind of money on PC games that you spend on console games?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By owl_of_minerva

They've lost my respect. I may still play their worthwhile games, like Assassin's Creed or Farcry 3, but it's much more tempting not to support them directly for snarking my platform of choice in such a petty and vindictive fashion. They can get fucked if they think I will simply willingly give them full price for their games on another platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I really don't care about the always on DRM, I haven't really run into a problem where I haven't had an internet connection and wanted to play an Ubisoft game. The part with their DRM (and any other company's DRM) that gets me up in a tizzy is their first time authentication. I'm sure Steam does something similar, but it doesn't surface that to the user. Instead of telling me that you are making sure I'm playing an authorized copy of the game, just do it and don't say anything.