Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kortex

Poll State of the Bomb (456 votes)

Fuck you, everything is great! 17%
Dude, it's fine. stop whining! 36%
Meh, it's ok... I guess. I don't really care but i still voted anyway. 12%
Yeah, it should be better. And it will be... right? right? 28%
Everything is on fire and not in a good way! I cannot believe they are doing this to me! 2%
*Just show me the answer and I wish there was an option in the poll creation for this* 5%

So, it's been a couple of weeks since the relaunch and we all had the chance to really experience the new Giant Bomb. Now may be a good time to look at our new home. At first glance everything looks quite nice and new and stuff but from my own experience and quite a few forums threats I can tell not everything is gold... or at least working. Here are my main issues:

1. Video problems
  2. chat and poll problems
  3. general stability issues
  4. almost no new features and loss of old ones
  5. lack of transparency about the development progress (Dave's post was last updated over a month ago)

What's your take on this?

• 
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The bottom line is that for legal reasons related to the sale of Whiskey Media properties, GB had to move away from the old Distillery platform to a new one. Considering that this entire current site was built essentially from scratch in under a year, it's actually a pretty big accomplishment, and I assure that top men are working hard every day to make it even better.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FourWude

The whole redesign is just so... so... unneccesary. It just doesn't improve what went before. That's the problem. It's a sideways step.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Let the engineers handle it, the problems will be fixed when they're fixed.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we have a couple of good features but everything else is broken man

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By pr1mus

Point number 4 really nails it.

The loss of features and the lack of replacements for those is the biggest problem. This the best looking design yet and at the same time it's the least functional one.

The video player is also the worst one yet but you can use the Youtube player instead. Is that still only for subscribers though? Because that is madness to keep the Youtube player behind the subscription.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like when I press the back button on my browser and it doesn't remember where I was and I need to scroll all the way down again.

It would totally be a #firstworldproblem if other websites also had this problem....but they don't.

@flstyle said:

Isn't it ironic that if we got that response from....say EA or something we would have gone on an internet crusade but when it's GB....eh whatever!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like when I press the back button on my browser and it doesn't remember where I was and I need to scroll all the way down again.

It would totally be a #firstworldproblem if other websites also had this problem....but they don't.

@flstyle said:

Isn't it ironic that if we got that response from....say EA or something we would have gone on an internet crusade but when it's GB....eh whatever!

i agree with this guy

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

this

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It sort of sucks at the minute. I've found myself watching any non-live content on youtube due to the suckiness of the player.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things take time. This is twice as important to remember when you're building a new website from scratch.

Also people seem to forget that Dave is a new father now, which is what he's been busy with for the last few weeks.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By studsmckewl

In my personal experience I've found the video player to be improved. Before I had a lot of issues where it would simply stop for no reason and I would have to reload the webpage, and then I wouldn't be able to start from where I had left off. Now it remembers where I was the last time I stopped watching, which is legitimately pretty great in my opinion.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The thing I like the least is the new image viewer with gifs. It's a nice idea and it does work well for threads with lots of pictures (even if I don't really want to look at stuff with no context), but it's really annoying when you click on a gif - the new viewer takes ages to load it. It also seems random if a gif will play in a forum post or if you need to click on it to play.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

We're getting three livestreams. It's fine duder.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my personal experience I've found the video player to be improved. Before I had a lot of issues where it would simply stop for no reason and I would have to reload the webpage, and then I wouldn't be able to start from where I had left off. Now it remembers where I was the last time I stopped watching, which is legitimately pretty great in my opinion.

I like the video resume function, too. But ironically enough I "use" it mainly after the video simply stopped playing and I had to refresh the page to get i working again.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@vinny_says said:

@flstyle said:

i agree with this guy

@kortex: None of us know what goes into the engineering process of Giant Bomb nor any EA products. That's why I try to maintain a it'll be fixed when it's fixed attitude whenever possible.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

The fact that the site is running is mind blowing. Like it was already said, they had to move away from the Distillery platform that was built at Whiskey Media because Berman Braun ownes it now.

To build this site from scratch, and in a way that will work with the massive mountain of content on the site is impressive.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17 MattyFTM  Moderator
@fourwude said:

The whole redesign is just so... so... unneccesary. It just doesn't improve what went before. That's the problem. It's a sideways step.

Except it was very necessary. It was the most necessary redesign since the site launch, for the reasons Chaser noted above. Giant Bomb and CBSi do not own the rights to the Whiskey Media platform, Berman-Braun do. Therefore the entire site needed to be rebuilt on a new platform. It is very much a sideways step for that reason - the goal of the new site was to replicate the functionality of the old site, built on an entirely new infrastructure.

And to be honest, I'm amazed that the site works as well as it does. Built from the ground up with such a strict time-scale and importing masses of data from an old site into a completely new site, it's a recipe for disaster. But for the most part, the site works fine. There are a bunch of kinks that need to be worked out, that will surely be the priority now that ComicVine is running on the new platform.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are actually well if you compare this to twitch.tv. Their site is so slow and broken most of the time. But yeah, giantbomb.com has too many bugs and broken features at the moment, hopefully not for long.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm said:
@fourwude said:

Except it was very necessary. It was the most necessary redesign since the site launch, for the reasons Chaser noted above. Giant Bomb and CBSi do not own the rights to the Whiskey Media platform, Berman-Braun do. Therefore the entire site needed to be rebuilt on a new platform. It is very much a sideways step for that reason - the goal of the new site was to replicate the functionality of the old site, built on an entirely new infrastructure.

And to be honest, I'm amazed that the site works as well as it does. Built from the ground up with such a strict time-scale and importing masses of data from an old site into a completely new site, it's a recipe for disaster. But for the most part, the site works fine. There are a bunch of kinks that need to be worked out, that will surely be the priority now that ComicVine is running on the new platform.

If that's the case. Then why didn't CBSi with all its big bucks not spend a bit more money and really make GB a truly professional site?

I don't mean to rag on anyone who's worked on the site. But it seems a quick chop job. It does the job. But the new site doesn't feel as good as the old.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Honestly, my biggest remaining problem with it is I'm not overly fond of the serif font used on headlines, usernames and the menu. I know there's a few bugs remaining to be squashed (though for what it's worth, they rarely affect me - though I'm probably no longer a typical user), but that's hardly surprising given the enormity of the task in question (rebuilding from scratch). I'm sure the bugs will be dealt with in due course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fourwude said:

Pretty sure they had to do it for legal reasons since CBS didn't own the code for the design of the old site.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't noticed any of those problems. Probably because I spend several hours a day on the web and when I encounter trivial site issues, I shrug my shoulders and use the common work-around solutions that are commonly used among internet dwellers every day or find something else to do.

Same here. Its been so long that i think i have become indifferent to websites and their issues. But i do understand that these things affect people more than they do me, and hope these concerns that people have are resolved as quickly as possible. Good luck to the engineering team i guess.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeanFoster

Yeah, why hasn't Dave weighed in lately, why aren't some of these minor issues being resolved? It's almost like he had a child and needs to spend time with his family after leaving the website he works for in a very stable state!

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of things I dislike, especially how you can't upload a picture in the middle of the post unless you choose it to OCCUPY the page in its full size. Otherwise you have to choose a side to put it on.

I'm getting used to it and don't care enough about a website to complain but this specific site relaunch is tasteless and alienating. The wikis look weird and the forums no longer give a personality to the posters.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yeah, why hasn't Dave weighed in lately, why aren't some of these minor issues being resolved? It's almost like he had a child and needs to spend time with his family after leaving the website he works for in a very stable state!

I don't think anyone here is saying Dave is an asshole for having a child and spending time with it. Some people would just like to know whats up as after they got the site relatively stable it seems like working out the kinks has come to a very slow crawl.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're getting settled into the new website.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

Weird, I'm on this site all day every day and it seems to work fine for me.

It's a bit fucked in iPad but whatever.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, I'm on this site all day every day and it seems to work fine for me.

Yeah, I dunno what site you guys are going to.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After that PM messages bug was fixed, it's been pretty much smooth sailing. The text editor is so much better now.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Actually, since they changed servers, I've been able to watch HD videos without lag or interruption. So, I'm happy I can actually watch archived stuff without having to download first. Net plus as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I love the redesign. It's a million times better than what Tested was when they went from the old whiskey site to their new one.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snail

Now that the engineers have the new version of Comic Vine up and running they'll probably get back to this website and fix a few things, and hopefully improve some stuff that isn't quite broken per se.

I've already noticed some changes and some bugs getting fixed.

Also, we no longer know when posts were last edited. That timestamp now only indicates the original post time.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

ACHIEVEMENTS WHERE ARE YOU.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

I'm doing my best to withhold judgement as I'm aware of the extenuating legal circumstances with the wiki tech and of how difficult a huge relaunch is.

That being said the bugs don't nearly bother me as much as the missing features do. I seriously hope the communication features are at least boosted back to the level they were on the old site relatively soon.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#36 Justin258  Online

I want to see achievements come back, but more than that I want people to see my latest status updates. I miss seeing :@video_game_king 's sometimes-witty comments on my wall. And now my wall is just barren.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

...I want people to see my latest status updates. I miss seeing :@video_game_king 's sometimes-witty comments on my wall. And now my wall is just barren.

Yeah the user/community stuff seems to have suffered a downgrade.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@believer258:

To be fair, I haven't written on your wall because I haven't seen anything of it. Stuff like that is far less visible than it was before. But I'd just like images to no longer be horrible. That little box (or, more specifically, its limitations) is the bane of my existence.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There are still technical issues with the site that I experience every day.

For example, nothing ever appears in my inbox, despite my having it set to alert me for things like people at-replying to me.

Aside from a few technical issues here and there, I like it. Well, I don't like that it defaulted to white. That's just racist.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

They're getting settled into the new website.

I don't really have any problems with the new design, and it works pretty well. Still, this response is so good.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#41 gamer_152  Moderator

Like the other mods said, the redesign sort of had to happen, there was no way around it. It is very impressive that they managed to rebuild the site from the ground up over a year, but how impressive that feat is and what the quality of the site is are two different things. At the moment I think I still might prefer the old Giant Bomb, maybe that's largely the nostalgia in me talking, but even a fair way after launch there are still a bunch of bugs and some design issues I'm not so happy with. The mod team has had to deal with a lot of really affecting technical issues, and one kink in the design that still really bothers me is that you can't see lists of your followed users' new blog posts and status updates. I'm sure the engineers are working hard to fix most of these loose ends, but it would be nice if there was more word from them on this. Right now there are just sort of all these issues hanging in the air and I feel like I have no idea what the engineers are actually working on.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm just looking forward to the forum feed returning to the front page.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Daveyo520

@fourwude said:

They had to

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video player is framey at full screen and recently the site has been so slow that I can't even download videos or watch them without skipping. I have to watch all videos on youtube, making my membership worthless.

I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this, so perhaps it's just me. Although I have no idea why that would be the case.

jdevlin24tgb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any issues. In fact, the videos remembering where I left off and the simplicity of the forums are great features.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I don't like that it defaulted to white. That's just racist.

No Caption Provided

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude its fine

Loading Video...

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This site now requires you to be online in order to use it. That is some CBS bullshit right there. I want my Giant Bomb on the disc and with a proper manual.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos run like shit since the relaunch, with the odd exception of live streams. I have to go to the youtube account where they are smooth as silk.

This site now requires you to be online in order to use it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By abendlaender

I like the new site, the only thing I miss is the forum shortcuts on the main page