Stepping into Development

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff
So I better get used to using my Giant Bomb blog - seems I'll be needing it.  
After four years of podcasting, writing, recording and publicizing, I'm stepping back from games journalism and oddly enough, into development. Lets me explain.

No Caption Provided
I started Citizen Game a few years back in an effort to win favour with prospective employers, but after 4 years of hard graft I'm no closer to that dream than I was when I left college. I was close, a couple of times. As close as you can come really - but never did get that final phone-call. I'm okay with that, now. Though it took much longer than I expected to come to terms with it. For months I'd replay the final interview in my head, over and over. In the shower, in bed at night and most memorably on my evening run's as a way of motivation. Having your dreams dashed at the finish line is tough. Very tough.

Almost as tough as falling out of love with a project you've devoted four years and endless work hours to. That happened quite recently, and I'm wise enough to stop flogging a dead horse. Maybe the old mare will lurch back into life if someone else is doing the whipping - but my time on the reigns is coming to an end.

So when a programmer buddy of mine asked If I could help him on his next project, I jumped at the opportunity. And that's where I am. After four years of operating on one side of the gaming fence, I've jumped over to development. So after all these years my college programming experience may actually pay dividends and thanks to my varied and scattershot project history - I feel quite at home running production, PR and marketing on my own.

I haven't used this blog much in recent years as I didn't think it fair that I use it to publicize my own website, but I plan to use this space throughout development to keep you guys updated and get any feedback you'd be willing to give.

So that's it for now. We're currently working on the fundamentals of our game world so won't have anything of significance to show for a few weeks at least. The development life-cycle is looking between 5-7 months, and though I can't give specifics on what type of game we eventually chose, there are some clues on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

For now though, please feel free follow our Twitter feed @tripledgames and LIKE our Facebook Page.
Oh and if you have any questions, please do to ask.

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff
So I better get used to using my Giant Bomb blog - seems I'll be needing it.  
After four years of podcasting, writing, recording and publicizing, I'm stepping back from games journalism and oddly enough, into development. Lets me explain.

No Caption Provided
I started Citizen Game a few years back in an effort to win favour with prospective employers, but after 4 years of hard graft I'm no closer to that dream than I was when I left college. I was close, a couple of times. As close as you can come really - but never did get that final phone-call. I'm okay with that, now. Though it took much longer than I expected to come to terms with it. For months I'd replay the final interview in my head, over and over. In the shower, in bed at night and most memorably on my evening run's as a way of motivation. Having your dreams dashed at the finish line is tough. Very tough.

Almost as tough as falling out of love with a project you've devoted four years and endless work hours to. That happened quite recently, and I'm wise enough to stop flogging a dead horse. Maybe the old mare will lurch back into life if someone else is doing the whipping - but my time on the reigns is coming to an end.

So when a programmer buddy of mine asked If I could help him on his next project, I jumped at the opportunity. And that's where I am. After four years of operating on one side of the gaming fence, I've jumped over to development. So after all these years my college programming experience may actually pay dividends and thanks to my varied and scattershot project history - I feel quite at home running production, PR and marketing on my own.

I haven't used this blog much in recent years as I didn't think it fair that I use it to publicize my own website, but I plan to use this space throughout development to keep you guys updated and get any feedback you'd be willing to give.

So that's it for now. We're currently working on the fundamentals of our game world so won't have anything of significance to show for a few weeks at least. The development life-cycle is looking between 5-7 months, and though I can't give specifics on what type of game we eventually chose, there are some clues on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

For now though, please feel free follow our Twitter feed @tripledgames and LIKE our Facebook Page.
Oh and if you have any questions, please do to ask.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By RagingLion

Interesting.  I watched one of your videos on Youtube once after a link from GB, I think, and I presumed it was with a view to get into gaming journalism at a big company at some point.  It seemed like you were doing everything someone could hope to, to make that a reality.

Good luck with the new direction.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By joshs

Interesting change, Danny. I seem to remember a video or screenshots of something you were working on in XNA. I believe it was for school. I wish you the best of luck, good sir! 

Followed & Liked :)

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By h0lgr

Come back & make a new thread when you have something to show, then I promise I'll follow you and like, and all that. 
Good luck!

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dannyodwyer  Staff
@h0lgr:  fair enough :) will do mate
Thanks guys!
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iam3green

well good luck with the making of games. i wish you luck.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

Good luck man. I respect your determination in following what you love.