Stop camping, you noob tube!

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Pezen

I don't know why I can't grasp the mentality in competitive online shooters at times, but it just puzzles me how some people think about this. I suppose I am a person to play a game based on how I enjoy it to be played. I come up with my own tactics, that fit my playstyle. Why should I adhere to a set of norms? So, here's my take on it.

Stop camping! 
If you're playing a fast paced game and someone is sitting somewhere taking easy shots at your skull whenever you turn around that specific corner, you might get a little bit frustrated. So what do you do? Perhaps you change tactics the next time around and throw a granade or flashbang in his general direction before or maybe you'll try and flank the guy. But, nope, that's not what you'll do. You'll scream "stop camping you [insert racial, gender or sexuality based insult here]." But why? One could argue that sitting around is not playing the game by the rules, but are they really rules? I've never seen someone kicked for camping, other than for complete inactivity. 

There is another element to this that is probably the main reason for my own discontent with the whining; Sniping. A lot of times when I was playing Battlefield 2 and I was on a good streak, I got to overhear people not liking the fact that I was "camping," I thought that was a bit weird considering I was a sniper. What do you think snipers do? Exactly, they stay down to make sure they get a good shot, they don't generally run around as much as the other guys. Also, as my rifle has long range, and shitty hipfire stats, why would I risk running into you wen I can take you out before you even knew there was someone looking at you? Maybe I am a little more patient than most people, because I love it when there's a big map with a ton of snipers and sometimes, it can get really quiet for some time because everyone is waiting for one guy to make a mistake. But I digress. 

So, I would advice people to rather than whine about that guy who always sit in that corner in those bushes, find a tactic to smoke him out. Because once a camping spot has been smoked once, it generally keeps them away. I mean, anyone remember those cranes in Battlefield 2. Awesome sniping right? Yeah, the first week until everyone realized how easy it is to kill a sniper up there.  

I suppose to me, sniping in online shooters is a high risk/high reward scenario. Because while you can pick people off from afar, there's also the big possibility that with every shot you take, someone will figure out your location and one is not always the best at looking at the rear view mirror when you're prone trying not to move unecessarily. I continue to digress. Let's move on. 

How to tube your noob. 
My rifle has a granade launcher? That's crazy! Awesome! Wait, what? I can't use it? Why? Oh, I see. So basically using a really effective weapon is something for beginners? So when do I unlock the stick? Because that's prestige, killing people with a stick. If you get killed by a granade launcher; get over it. You were not catious enough and ended up in a blast radious of an exploding little thing fired from the bottom of my rifle. I can kill you with my rifle, or even knife if I wanted to. But if I know you're coming, or even calculating the odds that you might (and you might bring friends), I'll shoot a granade in your general direction. Or, into the building I saw you in. It's not me who should be told I'm a noob for using my arsenal to the best of it's abilities, it's you who should reconsider your tactics. I've had granade flown right on past me, blown up behind me, so I know it's not the holy grail of weapons. It does take a little bit of thought to get it to the right place. 

So, for anyone who thinks using a granade launcher is a thing for beginners, here's my challange; I want you to play with nothing but a knife. Because if granade launchers (by implication, something you just shoot in a general direction and it has a large blast radious) are for beginners, the elite would use the exact opposite, right? So... knife only. Awesome. 

Right back at you, pal! 
Team killing is a touch one, sometimes people are enjoying the griefing of others like that. But, contrary to camping, people do get kicked for too much team killing. The thing about it though is that it's not always your intent to kill your teammate, sometimes your buddy just ran right into your line of fire without thinking ahead. A quick "sorry" in the headset might smooth things over (even if it wasn't technically your fault), but sometimes (especially with Modern Warfare 2) it kills their killstreak and they're a little more frustrated than a mere "sorry" can cure. So what then? Well, you could send flowers, but the most likely scenario I've noted is that they will bring the gift right back and kill you. 

How is that helping anyone? If someone killed me, ruining my killstreak, what would I (or my team) gain by killing him and getting reduction to my points? That has to be one of the most crazy stupid things I've experienced of them all. Because if you think about it, he just lost his killstreak and then he decides to deduct points from himself. What?! 

You stole my kills, I'm telling mom. 
My most recent encounter with weird gaming logic. I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and made a nice flanking move on two guys and took them out, just seconds before a guy on my team dropped a harrier strike on their position. The whole rest of the game he was whining and whining about how I stole his kills. As if I knew he was planning to drop something right then and there and killed them out of spite. No wait, I actually knew it by mind reading over the internet. Bazinga! 

So what's your take on gaming logic, especially multiplayer wise? Agree/Disagree? Give me your thoughts.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pezen

I don't know why I can't grasp the mentality in competitive online shooters at times, but it just puzzles me how some people think about this. I suppose I am a person to play a game based on how I enjoy it to be played. I come up with my own tactics, that fit my playstyle. Why should I adhere to a set of norms? So, here's my take on it.

Stop camping! 
If you're playing a fast paced game and someone is sitting somewhere taking easy shots at your skull whenever you turn around that specific corner, you might get a little bit frustrated. So what do you do? Perhaps you change tactics the next time around and throw a granade or flashbang in his general direction before or maybe you'll try and flank the guy. But, nope, that's not what you'll do. You'll scream "stop camping you [insert racial, gender or sexuality based insult here]." But why? One could argue that sitting around is not playing the game by the rules, but are they really rules? I've never seen someone kicked for camping, other than for complete inactivity. 

There is another element to this that is probably the main reason for my own discontent with the whining; Sniping. A lot of times when I was playing Battlefield 2 and I was on a good streak, I got to overhear people not liking the fact that I was "camping," I thought that was a bit weird considering I was a sniper. What do you think snipers do? Exactly, they stay down to make sure they get a good shot, they don't generally run around as much as the other guys. Also, as my rifle has long range, and shitty hipfire stats, why would I risk running into you wen I can take you out before you even knew there was someone looking at you? Maybe I am a little more patient than most people, because I love it when there's a big map with a ton of snipers and sometimes, it can get really quiet for some time because everyone is waiting for one guy to make a mistake. But I digress. 

So, I would advice people to rather than whine about that guy who always sit in that corner in those bushes, find a tactic to smoke him out. Because once a camping spot has been smoked once, it generally keeps them away. I mean, anyone remember those cranes in Battlefield 2. Awesome sniping right? Yeah, the first week until everyone realized how easy it is to kill a sniper up there.  

I suppose to me, sniping in online shooters is a high risk/high reward scenario. Because while you can pick people off from afar, there's also the big possibility that with every shot you take, someone will figure out your location and one is not always the best at looking at the rear view mirror when you're prone trying not to move unecessarily. I continue to digress. Let's move on. 

How to tube your noob. 
My rifle has a granade launcher? That's crazy! Awesome! Wait, what? I can't use it? Why? Oh, I see. So basically using a really effective weapon is something for beginners? So when do I unlock the stick? Because that's prestige, killing people with a stick. If you get killed by a granade launcher; get over it. You were not catious enough and ended up in a blast radious of an exploding little thing fired from the bottom of my rifle. I can kill you with my rifle, or even knife if I wanted to. But if I know you're coming, or even calculating the odds that you might (and you might bring friends), I'll shoot a granade in your general direction. Or, into the building I saw you in. It's not me who should be told I'm a noob for using my arsenal to the best of it's abilities, it's you who should reconsider your tactics. I've had granade flown right on past me, blown up behind me, so I know it's not the holy grail of weapons. It does take a little bit of thought to get it to the right place. 

So, for anyone who thinks using a granade launcher is a thing for beginners, here's my challange; I want you to play with nothing but a knife. Because if granade launchers (by implication, something you just shoot in a general direction and it has a large blast radious) are for beginners, the elite would use the exact opposite, right? So... knife only. Awesome. 

Right back at you, pal! 
Team killing is a touch one, sometimes people are enjoying the griefing of others like that. But, contrary to camping, people do get kicked for too much team killing. The thing about it though is that it's not always your intent to kill your teammate, sometimes your buddy just ran right into your line of fire without thinking ahead. A quick "sorry" in the headset might smooth things over (even if it wasn't technically your fault), but sometimes (especially with Modern Warfare 2) it kills their killstreak and they're a little more frustrated than a mere "sorry" can cure. So what then? Well, you could send flowers, but the most likely scenario I've noted is that they will bring the gift right back and kill you. 

How is that helping anyone? If someone killed me, ruining my killstreak, what would I (or my team) gain by killing him and getting reduction to my points? That has to be one of the most crazy stupid things I've experienced of them all. Because if you think about it, he just lost his killstreak and then he decides to deduct points from himself. What?! 

You stole my kills, I'm telling mom. 
My most recent encounter with weird gaming logic. I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and made a nice flanking move on two guys and took them out, just seconds before a guy on my team dropped a harrier strike on their position. The whole rest of the game he was whining and whining about how I stole his kills. As if I knew he was planning to drop something right then and there and killed them out of spite. No wait, I actually knew it by mind reading over the internet. Bazinga! 

So what's your take on gaming logic, especially multiplayer wise? Agree/Disagree? Give me your thoughts.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

The problem is, you're playing with 12 year-olds and "emelgee pr0s". Often these are one and the same.

AjaxNV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AjaxNV

LOLOLOL, only nubs use knives. Pro use long stare. 

But seriously, I agree with your points. Two problems with gaming: It got mainstream and brought idiots with that success. And it has fanatics.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

I agree. Thats why I generally avoid competitive games unless I know who I'm playing with 

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By OldGuy

"I died! But I'm GREAT at this game! It can't be MY fault! You CHEATING!"

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1

i couldn't care less about gaming logic. i just want to kill dudes and win the game and i couldn't care less if i'm using 'cheap' weapons or tactics

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten
@AjayRaz said:
" i couldn't care less about gaming logic. i just want to kill dudes and win the game and i couldn't care less if i'm using 'cheap' weapons or tactics "
This right here is how I feel too. 

If I'm the one killing you over and over again by taking advantage of what the developers put in the game and also taking advantage of your pathetic excuse for a "tactic" then how am I the "noob" ?  

Also camping is the best part about sitting around with a sniper. 
It's his fucking job =D
memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By memo
@ZeForgotten said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" i couldn't care less about gaming logic. i just want to kill dudes and win the game and i couldn't care less if i'm using 'cheap' weapons or tactics "
This right here is how I feel too.  If I'm the one killing you over and over again by taking advantage of what the developers put in the game and also taking advantage of your pathetic excuse for a "tactic" then how am I the "noob" ?   Also camping is the best part about sitting around with a sniper. It's his fucking job =D "
Agreed.  Just kill dudes and rack those points up, as long as I play good and do my best to help out the team with points then I am satisfied.
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pezen

Exactly, all is fair that is in the game. I suppose, as noted, it's probably just a matter of projecting your failure on someone's success. I just find it interesting that people resort to sticking to their ways, when there is really nothing to gain from it. Like using inverted controls!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

While I will always believe that "Noob Tubing" takes away a lot of fun, it's not like only certain people can use it. Everyone has the choice of using a grenade launcher if they wish. Then theres the blast shield, the most underrated item ever. Seriously, blast shield has saved me from predator missiles that would have killed me two times over. If your constantly getting killed by noob tubers, USE THE FUCKING BLAST SHIELD. ITS GREAT.

Smokay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smokay
@Pezen: normal controls are downright crazy dude
lemmdawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lemmdawg

I'm actually surprised by how everyone is in agreement with Pezen.  I'm in agreement with most of his comments.  Camping is a tactic that I don't mind because you can easily counter that, and usually campers are very bad at the game.   TK I never deal with, and people complaining about stealing kills is part of every shooting game.  

Noob tubes on the other hand make the game completely frustrating.  It's ok in games like BC2 where the fields are enormous.  But in MW2 it can drain all fun out of the game.  I don't see any skill involved in scavenger pro, danger close, one man army, and then lobbing nades or rockets in the general vicinity of people.  It's really fun to run around a corner and see a guy waiting to shoot nades at you.   Yes, the developers did make it, but developers don't always get everything right.  It's like CSS where they have plenty of servers that don't include the awp.  Sure in a 5v5 competitive game an awp is essential, but when you have 32 people in a pub using awps the game becomes mind numbing.  MW2 does not have a limitation on tubes because of lack of dedicated servers.  One person using a noob tube kit makes the game annoying.  Two or more suck the fun out of it.  The counter to a noob tube kit is to shoot him before he sees you which often entails camping and being passive.  The littlest type of aggressive behavior is often met by a nade being flung your way.  Sure you can make the kit as well, but I don't find any pleasure in running around blowing three people up at once.  I also recognize many people find it incredibly annoying.  If you watch replays of top MW2 kill streaks like on Machina you never see anyone just running around tubing because it's generally accepted as being lame, and requiring less skill than aiming.  In my opinion playing with a noob tuber is almost the equivalent as playing with  a hacker in terms of fun.

Blast shields are another decent counter to noob tubes, but it limits your sight, takes away your radar, and takes away using nades.  The trade off doesn't seem balanced.  All because you're trying to avoid being blown up.  I believe Black Ops addresses these issues by taking away dangerclose, and including flak jacket which limits noob tubes radius.  Also, running around knifing people is very common.  Marathon, lightweight, commando pro or ninja pro and a tactical knife.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Binman88

I always ran wild with the M4 + tube in COD4, unless it was prohibited by server rules. I'll agree that it's an annoying and overpowered weapon (in that game), but it's there for the taking, so why not use it? If you have one or two people on the other team complaining about that tactic, you actually have a distinct advantage - when people are pissed off they usually play worse. That's when you start firing straight into chokes and in the general direction of their spawn points :) If a server admin wants to put a restriction on the use of noob tubes and nades, I'm totally fine with that. 

As for camping, I'm not a fan of that style of play at all. It's a lazy and boring way to play the game. However, if it's not against server rules, I won't call them out for it, because I have nothing to gain from doing so. Any server I create, though, and any clan I'll consider joining in the future would have to have strict anti-camping rules. I have kicked plenty of people off our old RavenShield server for camping, as it was against our rules. The game was always better without them - rounds finished sooner, and the better team (ie. the one with the players with better reactions, aiming, and map knowledge) would always be favoured to win, as it should be. 

If someone unavoidably, accidentally tks me, I don't really care. If someone tks me numerous times due to their own stupidity (trying to shoot enemies through my body or something like that), I'll probably have a word with them.  

Couldn't give a fuck about kill-stealing. I've always looked upon it as rather humorous to steal someone's kill, or for them to steal mine. It was always a kind of joke in my old clan. If someone got there first, good for them.

Starklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Starklight

I actually play with the knife only quite frequently; it can be a lot more fun than using a gun; and it's really satisfying to kill someone with it.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

wall too big to read.

i dont have problem with campers. but when i play.... my personal play style is usually always-move...... cause in my opinion when camping i dont have patient..... i just want to go bo0m bo0m baNG baNG run and gun.

.........however theres time when i have to camp say like a camp intended map.

yeah i think campers can be annoying to come against too but at the end i dont have a problem with them just that it is annoying butthen yeah sure go ahead and camp. in fact camping is skill but then.... what if u camp... i cmap... u camp.... i camp...... when playing 1on1 or 2on2 everybody camp..... it be so boring no action..... but then camp game is kindda fun it makes u feel like those 80s 90s action movies where criminal and police or heroe go to some deserted place or ruins that has many crates and cover..... pretty cool.

yeah no problem with campers. just annpoying but then yeah... pretty fun. ok. not bad. all good.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lutonhatter

'noob tube' is annoying, just like 'juggernaut' is but is a flaw in the design of the game rather than the person using it. In fact it is only flaws that annoy me, for instance when playing on map so small that the opposition can mine most of the spawn points.

As soon as someone starts wingeing on the microphone about camping/noob tube etc., to me it just means that player has already lost. They are not going to be playing 100% while they have their rage on, it is then time to get the knife out to stab them in the head to hear what rude words fall out. 

My favorite, is something that has started happing to me a lot recently, while playing  CoD games on PS3 I get people calling me a cheat and accusing me of using an aim bot!?! So I've killed you, more than you have killed me, so I must be cheating?

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kyelb22

I feel the same way. I do what I can to win. If the developers but a feature in the game, I'm going to use it to my advantage. I loved to run around with marathon/knife in MW2 because it WORKED and it was fun pissing of the other team. If you sucks bad enough not to shoot a guy who's running straight towards no and not shooting, then you deserve to get knifed in the throat. 

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kyelb22

I feel the same way. I do what I can to win. If the developers but a feature in the game, I'm going to use it to my advantage. I loved to run around with marathon/knife in MW2 because it WORKED and it was fun pissing of the other team. If you sucks bad enough not to shoot a guy who's running straight towards no and not shooting, then you deserve to get knifed in the throat. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

i don't have a problem with snipers. it is their job to camp in places. you know sniping you have to be far away from. it is hard to get a kill from people being close. 

noob tubing is a problem. a lot of times when that happens i usually end up using my noob tube class. it just pisses off every one else.