Stop using these words to discusss video games

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#101  Edited By Lazyaza

Games are and always will be extremely derivative and 90% of the time completely unoriginal in terms of core design principles, themes, styles and concepts. It makes complete and utter sense to compare every single one to that which has come before if the comparison is accurate. This is how normal people talk about games, deal with it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Kazona

@Dany: Telling people what to do makes you sound like a twat.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Simplexity said:

@Dany: But.. It is Zelda-like though.

The perfect description of Darksiders is a "mature" Zelda with a portal gun.

What's actually mature about Darksiders, again? Because it has blood and is all edgy with its hroseman of the apocalypse protagonist and the end of the world? The creators couldn't even be arsed to use two of the real horsemen and had to come up with the idiotic Fury and Strife.

People need to stop using "mature" to describe games with bloody violence, foul language, and sexual content.

EDIT: I should add, it's like they were getting ideas from the same fourteen-year-old's notebook as the Dante's Inferno team.

There's an M on the box for "Mature"

And that's a pretty important distinction because Nintendo would never make an M-rated Zelda.

It's like saying a movie is an R.

Yes, that's the ESRB rating, but there are vast numbers of M-rated games that are anything but mature. The rating only states that the game is for mature audiences based on the amount of sex and violence present regardless of how emotionally or intellectually mature the subject matter is.

The ESRB has nothing to do with the content of the game....

When a game is "meant for Mature audiences" it is not passing judgement on the game. It never has. It is simply stating the individual should be mature in age.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Dany

@Gaff:

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#105  Edited By Hailinel
@Doctorchimp I know that. I'm arguing that the term should BR used to refer to intellectual and emotional maturity when not specifically talking about the rating.
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By matthias2437

How about I continue to use all of those because most of them are perfectly fine and fitting descriptive words for video games.

Nemeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By Nemeroth

Cinematic

Movie-like

etc etc

Games are not movies

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108  Edited By Nux

No.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ekajarmstro

As a hardcore gamer I find this topic-ass topic casually dudebro.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By Phatmac

No.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Hunkulese

@Dany said:

I'm talking about the GB crew and you folks out there. It devalues any argument you are attempting to make for a video game and makes you sound like a twat.

• Hardcore
  • Casual
  • Dudebro
  • gamer
  • mario-like
  • zelda-like
  • God of war-like
  • COD-like
  • anything-like
  • It has the map from skyrim, the action of fable, the look of WOW
  • action is like Ninja Gaiden, the look is bayanetta but not as linear
  • It is the X from this game, the Y from another game
  • It is a blank-ass blank game

Discuss

You're doing a good job trying to sound like a twat. Almost everything you listed is valid when used in proper context. If a game is like Zelda and you call it Zelda like then everything you say has no value?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Stop trying to control my mind, man.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#113  Edited By Tireyo

Whatever. Games are just games.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Stop using discuss to give your thread conversation

WhiteLotus01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By WhiteLotus01

I am definitely agreed with "hardcore" and "casual". Because there should not be a differentiation. Back in the NES era, did Nintendo Power ever use those terms? Well, maybe hardcore, but back then it would have been applied to Ninja Gaiden and whatnot.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By bananaz

@Galiant said:

@Dany: Some of those are actually valid ways to describe a game. You sound like a twat.

This. It devalues nothing. It means I'm not wasting several minutes describing things like, "You collect collectibles on a 2-d plane and there's cartoon graphics." I don't have to say, "You fight on a 2-d plane in an enclosed arena one-on-one until one of you gets knocked out." Nobody knows what Rayman or Crysis are, and describing them in detail would be time consuming and confusing. Meanwhile, COD and Super Mario Brothers are culturally iconic.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Scrawnto

@Gaff said:

Overall, this list is a mixed bag - what it lacks in depth and intricacies, it makes up with simplicity and pick-up-and-play qualities - but fans of the genre will certainly find something to like. While promising, the lack of polish and design flaws ultimately hurt the end-product, making it suffer from a lack of direction. In the end, your mileage may vary.

Holy crap! It's like a whole review, except that it says absolutely nothing about what it's reviewing! That's kind of impressive in a really disgusting way.

talkingtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By talkingtoast

@Dany:

Why would we ever stop using these words to describe games ? They work. I guess your first four items are valid, but the others work really well.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#119  Edited By StarvingGamer

Visceral!

Compelling!

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By bananaz

@Gaff said:

Of all the video game journalism clichés that should be banned, you pick these? Hm.

Overall, this list is a mixed bag - what it lacks in depth and intricacies, it makes up with simplicity and pick-up-and-play qualities - but fans of the genre will certainly find something to like. While promising, the lack of polish and design flaws ultimately hurt the end-product, making it suffer from a lack of direction. In the end, your mileage may vary.

Followed.

Also, I love dudebro. I've been looking for that word to describe dudebros forever. You know who dudebros are. You've met them.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Ulain

Translation of OP: I am 14 years old and have never played any of these games, and am too lazy to look up the generic playstyle of any of them. Please only use Mass Effect-like, Battlefield-like, and Halo-like. Even then, it is probably best you use an excess of words because I am a control freak/sentence structure nazi and this is the only real power I have over you. Also, I am most definitely a twat.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By JasonR86

@Dany said:

• Hardcore
  • Casual

I agree with most of these but especially these two. Only morons who want to sound more...I don't know, credible or feel like they need others to feel as if their opinions are more valid then others use these words. It makes them sound childish and petty.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Anomareh

@Ulain said:

Translation of OP: I am 14 years old and have never played any of these games, and am too lazy to look up the generic playstyle of any of them. Please only use Mass Effect-like, Battlefield-like, and Halo-like. Even then, it is probably best you use an excess of words because I am a control freak/sentence structure nazi and this is the only real power I have over you. Also, I am most definitely a twat.

Pretty sure lazy, 14 year old, grammar nazis don't exist. Those are kind of contradicting traits. Also, "anything-like" was in his list, so your second sentence makes no sense.

Did you try to translate it in Google or something?

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Ulain

@Anomareh: Way to take it too literally. I believe that's a trait of Asberger's Syndrome, might want to get that checked out.

Also lurk moar with your argumentative shitfest of posts.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Gargantuan

I don't understand why people hate the word gamer.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By EvilTwin
@Dany said:

I agree with this.
Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Anomareh

@Ulain said:

@Anomareh: Way to take it too literally. I believe that's a trait of Asberger's Syndrome, might want to get that checked out.

Also lurk moar with your argumentative shitfest of posts.

One sec, let me toss your reply into Google.

It spit out:

"You just pointed out how my post failed even more than the OP. That's not cool.

You should continue to not post frequently so you are less likely to point out how stupid my posts are in the future."

*shrugs*

Seems it's hit or miss.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By landon

This is a fucking stupid topic. Games borrow from other games, sometimes they downright copy exactly. And it's rare that games do something completely brand new, so why would I go into deep detail of a mechanic already seen in a dozen other games? I think it would be covering up the truth if we didn't compare the game to something already out, especially if it's taking mechanics to an absurd degree. I mean, which game are you more likely to buy:

Dante's Inferno is a fast paced action game. You upgrade weapons and battle through the depths of Hell.

Dante's Inferno plays almost exactly like God of War, but in Hell.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Quick, somebody tell movie critics that it's wrong to compare things.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By tyxja

@Dany: Stop using giantbomb.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By landon

@Nemeroth said:

Cinematic

Movie-like

etc etc

Games are not movies

Some games play out like movies. I would call Heavy Rain movie like.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Lunar_Aura

AAA and (J/W)RPG are almost pet peeves at this point

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By thatfrood

I'd really like to see a review for Darksiders without a single mention of it being "zelda-like". I'm just curious how it could be done.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#134  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ulain said:

Aw crap. I knew this thread couldn't get this many hits without something bad happening. How could you be so stupid as to misspell Asperger's Syndrome?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GreggD

@Landon said:

@Nemeroth said:

Cinematic

Movie-like

etc etc

Games are not movies

And I would call it dogshit, but that's neither here, nor there.

Also:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ulain said:

Aw crap. I knew this thread couldn't get this many hits without something bad happening. How could you be so stupid as to misspell Asperger's Syndrome?

Yeah, what the fuck?

You know what I hate? People who pass off Asperger's Syndrome as something stupid or non-existent.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#136  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

GDLK.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ShaggE

This is a thread-ass thread, dudebro. It has the length of Skyrim, the pre-adolescent humor of Fable, and the pointlessness of WOW, with the downward slope in quality of Ninja Gaiden and the over-the-top eroticism of Bayonetta (but not as linear). Basically, it's the endless prattle from Metal Gear, and the insanity of Deadly Premonition. Unfortunately, I'm too hardcore to just skim it casually.

My addiction to this thread is downright Zelda-like. Against my better judgement, I hope it keeps jumpin' in a Mario-like fashion, lest somebody, in a God of War-like manner, makes another thread like this in an attempt to incur the wrath of the gods of good taste. I'd hate to see it annualized, COD-like.

... Gamer was probably not a very good film.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#138  Edited By makari

I know a casual-hardcore dudebro gamer that's into anything-like cod-like or god-of-war-like that would oppose these sentiments.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By landon

@GreggD said:

@Landon said:

@Nemeroth said:

Cinematic

Movie-like

etc etc

Games are not movies

And I would call it dogshit, but that's neither here, nor there.

No, Heavy Rain is pretty great.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Branthog

Authors need to stop writing books with analogies and metaphors! Stop trying to convey information to us by associating what is going on with something else that we're familiar with and that explains what is occurring in a comprehensible context!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#141  Edited By Commisar123

I think they are fine. I don't like the stigma some of them carry , but they are usually fairly accurate descriptions, if very general, of a game.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Dany

How about calling Resident Evil 6 dudebro or COD hardcore?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#143  Edited By TheHT
@Dany said:

I'm talking about the GB crew and you folks out there. It devalues any argument you are attempting to make for a video game and makes you sound like a twat.

• Hardcore
  • Casual
  • Dudebro
  • gamer
  • mario-like
  • zelda-like
  • God of war-like
  • COD-like
  • anything-like
  • It has the map from skyrim, the action of fable, the look of WOW
  • action is like Ninja Gaiden, the look is bayanetta but not as linear
  • It is the X from this game, the Y from another game

Discuss

EPIC FAIL KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#144  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Sorry, but I really can't get on-board with this one. While I appreciate any effort to make video game discussions go generally better, you tell us to stop using these words without any justification why. If I may run through them...

• "Hardcore"/"Casual"- I think these terms get used in bad context a lot, but there are lots of words people like to use in flawed arguments, that doesn't mean we should just throw them out the window. One of the most basic facts about the video game industry today is that there is a side which likes more traditional games, and a side which likes more accessible, simple titles like you'd find on Facebook or iOS. I don't see how impairing our ability to describe the two fundamental markets of the industry helps us talk about the industry.
  • "Dudebro"- If people were using this word entirely seriously that might be a little obnoxious, but nothing I'd tell people not to do. It doesn't seem like people are though. Sometimes misused, yes, but it seems a pretty harmless way to describe douchey hyper-masculine people, thematics or products.
  • "Gamer"- I've heard the argument for why people don't want others to use this word. It's become associated with some bad stereotypes and if people wish to stop using it I can see why. That being said I don't think we should modify our language to cater to those who want to treat people as huge ridiculous stereotypes. I see no great evil in "gamer", just like I see no great evil in "moviegoer".
  • "[Blank]-like"/" It is the X from this game, the Y from another game"- I don't see why we should abandon this. Sometimes games are very similar to other games. Does it really give our discussion of a game more value if we spend a significant amount of time describing the mechanics and aesthetics, dancing around the elephant in the room, when really we could just say a short sentence or a couple of words and have a basic picture already painted?
  • "[Blank]-ass [Blank] game"- Again, not a phrase people are using seriously and a useful one too. It's a funny, practical phrase which lets us know a game is very true to its roots.
bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By bennyboy

How exactly are these descriptions argument devaluing?

Avatar image for michaelfossbakk
michaelfossbakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By michaelfossbakk

@Dany: Saying a game is like another game is constantly used in the entertainment industry. It helps people create a frame of mind in which to imagine this new-fangled contraption or idea that they're being told about. It is especially used during pitches, when creatives get the chance to pitch their ideas for movies/tv shows/games to executives/producers/publishers.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RankRabbit

I appreciate your successful troll thread, and I slightly agree with you.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#148  Edited By Dalai

I'm pretty sure this has been said, but this is a Dany-ass Dany topic. 

But seriously, I disagree with you.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Hitchenson

"makes you sound like a twat"

The irony is too much for me to handle.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts