Strange theories that change how you view games...

librarianmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By librarianmike

A little while back, I read a really interesting article over at Cracked in which they talk about strange theories that make movies more interesting. A couple of examples are: 'James Bond' is a codename, like 007, which explains the different actors and eras; or in 'Ferris Beuller's Day Off', Ferris is just a figment of Cameron's imagination. Anyway, the link is here:

http://www.cracked.com/article/18367_6-insane-fan-theories-that-actually-make-great-movies-better/

So, my question is whether anybody has an interesting/strange theory about a game. Here's one.

Gears of War is about a guy who goes to one of those Church-run organizations that supposedly 'cures' people of homosexuality. He is hooked up to a machine (like in Assassin's Creed) that projects an aggressively masculine scenario to try to make him 'straight'. The homoerotic subtext which is present in the series is actually the main character resisting the programming of the scenario.

...Okay, I realize it's kind of an 'out there' idea, but it certainly makes the game seem a lot more interesting from a story perspective. Any other ideas?

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cornman89

I always admired the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory, from FFVIII fandom. I thought it (1) provided the edge that Rinoa's character severely lacked, (2) gave the main villain of FFVIII some actual backstory and motivation, and (3) complimented the game's theme of time and regret better than the actual game ever did.

But alas, it was debunked by Word of God...

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ReyGitano

When I read this title, I was thinking game theories like, "every time you reset a game or load an old file, you either destroy the universe you were playing in or abandon it." 
I told my friend that when he told me how often he would reset games so he wouldn't have to see the main character die... he wasn't happy with me.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Mrnitropb
@SlashseveN303 said:
" When I read this title, I was thinking game theories like, "every time you reset a game or load an old file, you either destroy the universe you were playing in or abandon it." I told my friend that when he told me how often he would reset games so he wouldn't have to see the main character die... he wasn't happy with me. "
Thats horrifying! That's like .2 GigaHitlers!
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kelbear
@SlashseveN303: There was some old 3d-animated kids show about a world inside a computer, and every so often the "player" would load up a game and then the characters in the show would be forced to play in the game, and even get killed in the process. It was a kid's show so they didn't highlight these facts too much, but it was pretty screwed up if you think about all the AI you've killed as sentient characters.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano
@Mrnitropb: Hitler should never be used as a unit of measure, lol 

@kelbear: I think I know what you're talking about, people were like green and purple. Yeah, that was some disturbing stuff when you think about it.
cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cdfishman

I have a theory that duke nukem forever might be coming out... 

does that count?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@librarianmike said:
"  Gears of War is about a guy who goes to one of those Church-run organizations that supposedly 'cures' people of homosexuality. He is hooked up to a machine (like in Assassin's Creed) that projects an aggressively masculine scenario to try to make him 'straight'. The homoerotic subtext which is present in the series is actually the main character resisting the programming of the scenario. ...Okay, I realize it's kind of an 'out there' idea, but it certainly makes the game seem a lot more interesting from a story perspective. "
i love those 'out there' ideas because yes even though you might not believe them, you'd still think about them and they spice shit up 
that Gears of War one was awesome 

i dont have one about a video game, but my favorite ever is a fellow giantbomber's interpretation of Black Eyed Peas' "I Got A Feeling". saying that its about a soldier returning from Nam and trying to party and let go of the stressful memories, and how they kept haunting him.. 

one of the best reads of my life !
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Chummy8

Thread is kinda meh.  But that article is awesome. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck

Guess I should link for the lazy?

I can't say I've thought about things like that myself, although the things brought  up in that strip posted earlier sure is interesting. Has anyone stopped to think in the middle of playing, let's say, CoD campaign that the hundreds of people getting killed all probably had families, lives, etc (if we're to act as if it was real). Or Halo for that matter. How the fuck does the covenant society even look?

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By hexx462

I have a theory that every main character in the GTA games is actually an avatar of the Angel of Death. How else do they get away with slaughtering hundreds (possibly thousands) of people in large cities?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AuthenticM
@Cornman89: This. I read extensively into this theory ever since I first read it. And yes to all three of your points.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cornman89
@Video_Game_King: Oh, the lengths to which fans will go to make sense of that ridiculous game. To enjoy the Final Fantasy series at all, you need to accept that they all fall apart in the third act. No exceptions.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Gordon Freeman is a psychotic killer who destroys everything in his path and never speaks a word. Everyone is terrified of him. From the now deceased Idle Thumbs podcast. 

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I have read this and this . Hours of my lifes wasted, but it was so captivating
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Cornman89: 

What about Final Fantasy VI? Or IV?
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cornman89
@Video_Game_King: Well, the third act of IV involves moon aliens, secret brothers and a last boss that rivals Necron in its randomness. To me that constitutes a botched third act. Story in games were so wonky back then, though, that it's hard to hold it against them.

You got me on VI, though. God that's a great game.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Cornman89: 

Eh, I think Zeromus has his place. That is, if you follow the insane theory that their journey to the center of the Moon represents them probing the deepest recesses of their mind, meaning that Cecil and group are purging the deepest-seeded hatred from their brain. (Told you it was insane.) Besides, how can you accept shit like "warring underground cities" and "every character getting their chance to skullfuck the Reaper", but dismiss moon men as crazy?

FF6 is awesome :P.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's not necessarily the same thing, but the more I played Persona 3 and watched the Persona 4 Endurance Run, the more I thought those games were made as a metagame for hikkikomori. By relating the anime and JRPG concept of leveling up to developing friendships with different people while still keeping the main character a relatively generic blank slate, it's a way of convincing social outcasts to come out of their shell and see things in a way they're used to rather than looking at the world as a daunting place.