Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World?

OdysseyChaplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World? (244 votes)

Like both equally 7%
3 35%
World 57%

• 
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By AV_Gamer

First!

I want to say both, but 3 raised the bar so high. World almost does the same but comes up short, still a classic Mario game. And World had the best final boss fight with Bowser with a great rock theme.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

World. I love both but Super Mario World is the best game of all time.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only one these games has a shoe

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boos are more fun in World.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World.

Also, going to steal @superjoe's joke because I thought it was hilarious and is even more applicable now.

@odysseychaplin:

No Caption Provided
ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote for @odysseychaplin or which ever screen name he/she/they choose next to be the only one who has the power to create videogame this-or-that polls.

OdysseyChaplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sentence is false!

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I respect the Super Mario Bros 3 people because I've always assumed they're older and wiser than me, the Super Mario World fan. For what it is worth, while I prefer SMW, SMB3 does have a lot to offer--and a lot of weird and unique stuff that is absent from SMW. And I think there's a way to look at SMW as the first codified Mario game. Everything gets set in stone there whereas SMB3 has a weirder edge to it. Love both games in any case.

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 is longer to play through, has more total levels, and is more difficult. I think SMW was the first game I remember thinking that a franchise had been dumbed down to make it more broadly appealing. I can't think of a game before SMW where running out of lives didn't matter, and that you could retrieve free 1ups or powerups whenever you like.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I know Super Mario World is the better overall game. I know it improved upon damn near every single aspect of Super Mario Bros. 3. I know all that stuff.

But my heart still lies with Super Mario Bros. 3. Best 2D Mario? No, but it's my favorite game of all time.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, sorry if that was mean... I swear I'm a nice person... probably I was in a bad mood that day.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mario World cause of Yoshi and Star World.

nangstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nangstuff

Super Mario World is the best game of all time, I love it.

voidburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't have a NES/SNES growing up so I am woefully unprepared to have an opinion on this!

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb movie analogy but I see Mario 3 as The Godfather and World The Godfather part II. Most people now think II is the best movie but it’s totally not wrong to think of 3 as the best one, like the original GF.

shiyamiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only 2d mario I bothered to finish was Yoshi’s Island so probably that one

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 is one of the best games of ALL TIME. Super is still better.

bigevil1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

We skipped a generation when I was a kid, we got an NES in probably ‘91-ish, but I was about 4 so it was new to me. Played some PC games growing up as well, and then we jumped to N64 so I have little to no attachment to the 16-bit era despite growing up in the 90’s.

I love Mario games but for some reason every time I’ve tried to go back and play World I’ve never been able to finish it. It just, doesn’t feel right to me. Not sure why. For me SM3 was the pinnacle of Mario.

Zooclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main hang-up I have with SMB3 is that there are way too many auto-scrollers. Most of the final world are those tedious tank auto-scrollers, and all the airships are kind of a bummer too.

Thankfully there's a neat ROM hack out there that converts the auto-scrollers to regular, acceptable levels.

EphantMon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMB3 has a TON of different power-ups that are barely utilized, World takes a handful and shows you a TON of ways to use them.

Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up starting with 1 and loved 2 USA, and was blown away by 3, but World absolutely captured my heart and imagination. It's a perfect game.

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally suspect that the “3 is better than World” people are the kids who had NES’s and then went to Genesis.

World is just better in every way and is still one of the high water marks of the franchise. It’s utterly brilliant. The way it takes every new thing that the SNES could do and works it into gameplay in SOME way is still the TED Talk on how to make an ACTUAL “next generation” game. The SNES can scale? Have Mario puff up like a balloon. The SNES can to layers? Have a fence where Mario can go in the foreground and background. The SNES can do huge sprites? Make a Bullet Bill who is as large as the screen. Every level was “you couldn’t do this on the NES. You couldn’t do this on the NES.” And then there’s the concept of the exploration and the “world”. There’s no ACTUAL first level. That’s amazing. To go to the level actually called 1-1 you have to BACKWARDS toward an intentional dead end. To progress toward Bowzer and your objective, you have to go to level 1-2 first. And Mario enters the map on a free space. Why? To communicate to the player that they can go whether htey want. It’s a WORLD. And where are you ultimately headed? To the giant Bowzer head in the center of the map. Why is it shaped like Bowzer? So that you never get lost. You always know what the ultimate objective is and where you are headed from moment 1. GENIUS.

The way World introduced puzzles and a cerebral aspect with secondary exists, ghost house puzzles and shortcuts, alternative routes is simply second-to-none.

My favorite Mario game by far.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The difficulty curve in the last world of three is too much

timoneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The advent of Mario Maker has made me appreciate SMB3 a lot more than I did. But at their respective releases, World was hands-down the more impressive game. I just wish Nintendo made a true follow up to it. Yoshi's Island doesn't count (but it's still a great game).

Would blow my mind if they eventually put out a New! Super Mario World. But really what everyone really wants is a follow up to the US version of SMB2.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

3 is both more important, impressive for its hardware and better balanced

Ericbarker306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer super mario world, cuz all those awesome rom hacks about it!

stratogustav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite game of all time is Super Mario World, but I have to admit Super Mario Bros. 3 wins for the following reasons:

1. Super Mario World is a little broken in comparison to Super Mario Bros. 3. In Super Mario World you can often fly your way through entire worlds ala Demon Crest.

2. It is also important to realize that Super Mario Bros. 3 has more attention to detail when it comes to platforming. Each jump has been well thought out on each level, representing different challenges and aids depending on whether you want to play it safe or with momentum.

3. Super Mario Bros. 3 has a more compelling narrative ala Shakespeare "The World Is A Stage", which to me is a more powerful message than defeating Princess Toadstool children with Bowser through Jurassic Park.

4. Super Mario Bros. 3 came first, even though it is not by much, it is still the pioneer, and that gives it higher status when it comes to its quality of being inventive.

5. The creativity on Super Mario Bros. 3 has higher value, not just because it came first, but also because it runs on a more limited hardware, which demands of the creative process to have more cleverness and assertiveness to deliver an epic adventure which is a staple of Super Mario Bros. games.

So in conclusion Super Mario Bros. 3 is the better game, and easily the best game of all time. However, in my heart I will always love Super Mario World a bit more because of nostalgic reasons, and because it is still one of the best games ever made.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 easily.

I don't know what it is about World, but it's just never felt like a Mario game to me. Played it at release and, to this day, I still have never finished it. Not because it got too difficult or anything, I just always lose interest.

Locclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll always be World for me. Perhaps I'm just a baby gamer, but even as a kid, I was super frustrated playing SMB3 because of always having to start over completely from scratch. The first two worlds of Mario 3 are practically burned into my brain, while I know almost nothing from world 3 on. Part of the reason I loved SMW was because it was a Mario game I could finally play at my own pace and actually stand a chance of finishing the damn thing.

Aside from that, I just always found World more fun to play. I prefer the cape over the leaf (flying just feels so good, and I don't like having to mash A to fly/glide), and I loved how a lot of levels had secret exits, so there was always this extra game of exploring the levels for hidden paths rather than just figuring out how to get to the end. Plus the game just looks gorgeous on the SNES hardware.

AnnaLee123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Super Mario World more because of the freedom you have with the cape and Yoshi. Sure Super Mario Bros. 3 has a **** ton of power ups and creative worlds that Super Mario World doesn't have, but in Super Mario World it feels like you have more control over Mario especially when you're in the air with a cape or Yoshi.