The Chronicles of Riddick game: why don't I like this?

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I got this game off D2D a year or so ago, and only played a portion of it. I basically thought it sucked, but I've seen so much praise for it (this week's bombcast, for instance) that I'm tempted to try it again. What qualities make this game worth playing? 

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By slax

Well the hand to hand combat is excellent, and graphically, especially for when this game was made, this game is stunning. The stealth can be fun, but also it can be brutally difficult, which then when you get past a section you feel all accomplished.  

But I could see how not everyone might like it. So maybe it's not your cup of tea.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#3  Edited By Grumbel

I say the strongest point of the game is the immersion created by the mix of different gameplay styles, you have shooter elements, stealth elements, hand to hand combat and even adventure elements, it is really a rather unique mix and you can never really guess what the game is throwing at you next. Also the setting feels more like a real place then just another streamlined corridor shooting gallery like in so many other FPS. All that said, the game might take a bit getting into, but it is definitively worth it.

The only real issue I had with the game where the long load times on the Xbox1, those pretty much ruined the adventure part of the game, as it made traveling around a bit of a chore.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon
@Grumbel: Don't forget the advanced thinking when it came to the health system, visual indicators and well executed blend of story and action. 

It was a game ahead of it's time, which means these days you might go "Well, yeah, every game does that now, and better!"  suggest you stick with it, though. You might get a surprise or two.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaneDev

The original game is great, fun stealth, good action and an OK story but I really didn't like Dark Athena at all.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Panpipe

I feel the same. 

Even when it came out it didn't click with me. I've just accepted it as one of those things.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Grimace

Escape from Butcher Bay is one of my favourite games of all time, but I'm not surprised some people don't like it. 

The feel of the game is very unique and goes in a different direction compared to your everyday shooter. Movement and shooting are deliberately laboured and some obstacles aren't always dealt with in an obvious way. 

Add these things to the fact that... well, the game doesn't always push you in a certain direction, which combined with the very muted and gritty feel of most of the game can often give off an unwelcoming experience.  After all, prisons are not meant to be welcoming.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

The badness of Vin Diesel's ass.