The Giant Bomb Persuasion

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Giant Bomb has persuaded me to try many games that normally I wouldn't have given a second glance to. If it wasn't for the After Burner Climax Quick Look I may have never of even downloaded the trial of the game, I ended up buying it and loving it thanks to them. The endurance run sold me on the Persona series even though I'm not big into JRPGs. So I'm wondering if the GB crew has ever persuaded you to play something you normally wouldn't have. Has there ever been a game the GB crew has hyped up or convinced you that you should play? Did you love it or hate it?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Only one game, really, and I'm happy / sad to say it was Persona 4.

I should have given it a chance earlier, but it turned out to be my favourite game of all time (only recently supplanted by Golden).

As to why it's only one game after all these years and GB is my main gaming website? Well, I guess I just don't play as many games as I used to in highschool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't a great Quick Look, but I bought and downloaded Terraria before the video ended and fell deeply in love with the game. Oddly enough, it's a game that's right up my alley, but I never would have given it a glance on Steam.

Other examples would be FTL, Magicka, Orcs Must Die!, Puzzle Agent, and Majesty 2. Most recently it was Super House of Dead Ninjas, which I think is a blast, but I dunno how long I'll stick with it.

My Steam library would be a lonely place without the Bombcrew's video coverage, let alone them talking about games like FTL on the podcast.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Only one game, really, and I'm happy / sad to say it was Persona 4.

I should have given it a chance earlier, but it turned out to be my favourite game of all time (only recently supplanted by Golden).

As to why it's only one game after all these years and GB is my main gaming website? Well, I guess I just don't play as many games as I used to in highschool.

This. Even the part about Golden. Also FTL, Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By redcream

Nine Hours, Nine Persons Nine Doors- loved it
Mark of the Ninja- 'twas fine

SimplyCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SimplyCheese

Asura's Wrath. And it was awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coakroach

Saints Row: The Third

Never would have touched a game with that kind of attitude and premise (the marketing was pretty lame too) but holy crap was it worth it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

FTL, Bastion and Mark of the Ninja spring to mind. And I loved all of these.

On the other hand I got burned with Rayman: Origins, but that one is mostly on me for attempting to get into a genre I have always hated (to try to expand horizons etc)

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nine Hours, Nine Persons Nine Doors

Mark of the Ninja

Saints Row: The Third

Bastion

Legend of Grimrock

Wizorb

Sid Meier's Civilization V

All of those games I found enjoyable, well done GB.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I am now addicted to Trackmania 2 Stadium. Thanks, Giant Bomb.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By hollitz

Xcom: loved it

Saints Row the Third: loved it

Civ V: Loved it.

I think Bastion is the only game that everyone loved that I absolutely hated.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

Oh God, in the (not even) 2 years I've been here, the GB crew has changed my opinion on games in general, I NEVER played an indie game before until last year, LAST YEAR? And I was one of those assholes that never touched a game that got lower than a "9.0"

Needless to say they have convinced me to play a lot of different games that I would have never touched in previous years and they are some of my all time favorites now.

• Persona 4 - Greatest game ever
  • Deadly Premonition and now watching Twin Peaks because of them
  • Asura's Wrath
  • Binary Domain - mainly QL sold me but the little discussion it got on the BC convinced me further
  • Saint's Row: The Third - one of the few that they over hyped, good game but not THAT good
  • Darksiders
  • Bayonetta - over hyped
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Bulletstorm
  • Super Mario 3D Land
ienkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XCOM and Euro Truck Simulator. but i haven't been on the site for that long. in fact, this is my first post!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I think the community convinced me on Persona 4 and 999. Only one was actually worth it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By probablytuna

Man, there's been a great deal of games that I've bought because of Giant Bomb, mainly:

• Persona 4
  • The new DMC
  • Saints Row The Third
  • Syndicate
  • Bastion
  • Dead Space
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Just Cause 2
  • Mark of the Ninja
Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's review of Catherine convinced me that I'd like the game, and I really enjoyed it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By pr1mus

They convinced me to play Mark of the Ninja and The Walking Dead. The former was alright but nothing more and the latter was complete and utter trash.

EDIT: Oh yeah i forgot, Vinny convinced me that Sleeping Dogs was the best thing in life and he wasn't wrong.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well, not convinced in the terms of making me want to play a game that I did not want to play before. But, lots of games that I did not know about and went on to play afterwards.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cheesebob

Azura's Wrath

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By BBAlpert

A lot of the games that the Bomb Squad have inspired me to play have already been said, but there are also a number of games that they've convinced me not play (for better or worse). I was super duper pumped about the new Sim City game, but I'm have some serious doubts about it after watching the Quick Look. I know that Jeff mentions at the beginning and ending of the QL that overall he generally enjoys the game, but those two little endorsements don't inspire much confidence when they are bookending an hour's worth of pointing out major flaws.

A similar thing happened with Hitman Absolution. Leading up to the game's release, and especially after seeing some of the positive reviews, I was more than ready to fork over sixty bucks to pick the game up. But after about 45 minutes of Bombcast discussion about the awful, awful save system, I decided to hold off.

This is not to say that I think the guys are being unfairly critical or anything. Against my better judgment, Jeff's sage advice about pre-orders, and Alex's 3 out of 5 review, I pre-ordered The Cave. It was a pretty big let-down, and I wouldn't have bought it had I realized the severity of some of the flaws (I should have paid more attention to Alex's review). That next week, about half an hour of the Bombcast was devoted to complaining about the exact problems that I had with the game.

Long story short: I learned my lesson with The Cave, so I'm definitely holding out on buying Sim City until Alex's review comes in.

CodeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh boy have they ever:

• Dark Souls - Vinny talking about it on the podcast sold me and lead to being my favorite game of the generation
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Bastion
  • Rayman Origins
  • Syndicate
  • Binary Domain
  • Darksiders
  • Last but not least Saints Row the Third.
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't give in to hype or persuasion, games don't cost 10 bucks. I must watch real-time Lets Plays (only a bit not the whole thing) before I buy!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Ravenlight

Bullet points are for squares. Here's a numbered list:

1. Deadly Premonition
  2. Bastion
  3. Saints Row #3
  4. Asura's Wrath
  5. Spec Ops: The Line
  6. Walking Dead
  7. 999

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yep! Saints Row the Third! Which didn’t do it for me at all, but I still see why the GB duders would love it. Madness, madness everywhere.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Asuuuras Wraaath! It is really weird though, how an informal unedited look at games with guys talking over it ccan sell me oon games more than anything else.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only The Walking Dead. which was enjoyable but, i'd say they hyped it wayyyyy too much. it wasn't THAT good.

now ill be more careful about trusting even GB.

Avatar image for commander_crichton
Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4, Saints Row The Third, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Alex's review for Shadows of the Damned convinced me to get that game aaaand that crazy Dark Souls Quick Look convinced me to prepare to die. Those are the few games that come to mind. I'll also be getting Deadly Premonitions as soon as the director's cut comes out.