The hardest game that you beat that other people claim is hard?

• 65 results
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castro

This one time I was hanging out with some friends and this guy named Aaron (who is awesome) claimed that he beat Ghosts 'n Goblins. I, of course, called him out because that was obviously a lie. Nobody has beaten that game because it is impossible. You might find tool assisted speed-runs online and you may post them in the comments here, but that doesn't count.

So yeah, what is the hardest game that you have completed that other people think is supremely difficult? I'm fairly certain that I almost beat Ninja Gaiden II on the NES. It's been a while, but I think that I beat Jacquio but the flat-top, sunglasses dude got shot or something and his blood flowed down and touched the Dark Sword of Chaos (TM) and Jacquio came back to life and attacked me hard. I never beat that second form. I think that was pretty close to beating the game, maybe.

I'd have to say that the hardest game that I actually beat that other people have problems with would be Batman on the NES. That game was rad. I actually owned Batman, unlike Ninja Gaiden II, so I had more time to play it. That's probably why I was able to finish it.

Also, when I had this conversation with Aaron I was not aware that you had to beat Ghosts 'n Goblins twice to actually finish the game. Also, Aaron is a filthy liar but I still love him to death... liar.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

Umm, CoD 4 on Veteran? It's really not that hard.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By cloneslayer

megaman 9, It's really not that hard

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I've beaten Ghosts 'N Goblins. However, I don't count that game, mainly because "hard" implies some legitimacy, which this game was severely lacking. Therefore, the award goes to Umihara Kawase.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

I beat R-Type 3, that game was fucking hard. Also not the whole game, I got stuck on some of the later bosses (ironically, ones people say are easy) but I found the Alma boss in Ninja Gaiden stupidly easy, and people often say she's one of the hardest bosses ever. First fucking try lol

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MKHavoc

Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360.  It was a lot easier than I expected and I'm not that great at games.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Castro
@Cloneslayer:  Actually, I didn't think Mega Man 9 was that hard either. I died a lot on my initial playthrough, but when you die you usually figure out what not to do the next time you do the level and it's cake. When I got to Wily's castle I just stocked up on energy tanks and I was golden.
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Castro
@Video_Game_King:  What do you mean when you say that Ghosts 'n Goblins lacks legitimacy? Also, I don't know what Umihara Kawase is so I'm going to have to look that up. Sounds Japanese...
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat

Kid Icarus, I guess. That game's more crappily designed than it is hard. (The last 3 levels, dungeons excluded, are the easiest in the game, while the first one is among the hardest.)

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Castro

Also, I finally got around to playing Psychonauts late last year and I didn't have any problems with the Meat Circus. I know it's been mentioned millions of times elsewhere, but that game is genius and you need to play it if you haven't already.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Castro said:
" @Video_Game_King:  What do you mean when you say that Ghosts 'n Goblins lacks legitimacy? Also, I don't know what Umihara Kawase is so I'm going to have to look that up. Sounds Japanese... "
I mean the difficulty is so frustrating and cheap most of the time, I can't really call it "hard." Why does the clock still count down while I'm collecting the key? Why does the "you have done damage" sound effect sound exactly the same as the "I am invincible to this weapon" sound effect? Why does the game have to send me back to the beginning of the level just because I didn't have the right weapon? WHY MUST I PLAY THIS GAME TWICE!?!?!?
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RipTheVeins

Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spiredcrescent

I have beaten Super Ghosts N' Goblins for the snes.  Also beat Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and Battletoads Double Dragon.  Ninja Gaiden black and 2.  TMNT 2 and 3 and turtles in time.  Also beat Golden Axe.  I thought that DMC 3 the original version was very hard compared to the other ones, i could never beat it.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Castro
@Video_Game_King:  I remember getting both Ghosts 'n Goblins and Castlevania shortly after I received my NES on the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER. I never beat Castlevania either, but it felt as though it was actually possible to beat that game. Ghost 'n Goblins... no. Just no. I think I got to the third level two or three times. At some point a game just stops being fun. That never happened with Castlevania, but Ghosts 'n Goblins can suck it.

Also, while we're talking about difficulty in games, I never had a problem landing the plane in Top Gun but I could never get refueled. For funsies, I went to virtualnes.com a few months ago to try the game out again and I landed the plane AND refueled successfully on the first try.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

I beat Mile High Club on Veteran

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By FlipperDesert

I played all the way through Sonic 2006, not hard per-se, but broken and soul-crushing.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Stang
@RipTheVeins said:
" Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2. "
Ninja Gaiden Black here also.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By flaminghobo
@natetodamax said:
" I beat Mile High Club on Veteran "
That took me so many damn attempts.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I regret beating Call of Duty on Veteran.  In retrospect, it wasn't even fun.  All they want you to do is pop your head up to shoot and then hide again.  It's awful.  That's just not how a hard mode should be.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kashif1
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" I regret beating Call of Duty on Veteran.  In retrospect, it wasn't even fun.  All they want you to do is pop your head up to shoot and then hide again.  It's awful.  That's just not how a hard mode should be. "
than what should it be
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@kashif1 said:
"@SmugDarkLoser said:
" I regret beating Call of Duty on Veteran.  In retrospect, it wasn't even fun.  All they want you to do is pop your head up to shoot and then hide again.  It's awful.  That's just not how a hard mode should be. "
than what should it be"
Smarter AI, more enemies, etc.
Look at halo.  It's not all "let's make it hurt more with pinpoint accuracy".

You should have to play smarter, not like an idiot.  These guys suck, but it gives you an idea of how you could do it.  It's called proper movement, setup, etc.  Not hiding behind a rock and shooting (see videogameking?)

Notice how enemies don't automatically hit you, are more aggressive, have stronger enemy ranks,
Of course with the snipers it's find them and hit them before they get you.  They can still miss, although they're quite good.  But notice how they all don't know and aim immediately where you are.

You should have to be a better player on higher difficulty levels and be more careful, not use a repeditive tactic to inch yourself through.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

Ikaruga with a high score.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Black_Rose

Trauma Center: Second Opinion.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By atejas

STALKER on master.
It's really not that hard as long as you get the right equipment.
Well, except the sarcophagus.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By dudacles

Devil May Cry 3. I thought it was stupid easy, yet few agree with me on that.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Inf225

Helo 2 on legendary... but i guess thats not TOO hard... but I was still proud of myself ;)

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NickL
@SmugDarkLoser: maybe we are at a difference here, but i think a game should have the smartest AI no matter what difficulty (maybe not easy if it involves crazy flanking and stuff like that), i do agree with everything else you said though
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheFreeMan

Ninja Gaiden 2. Last boss was tough initially, but I just pulled out the scythe and ruined him in a couple of seconds. In fact, most all bosses in that game except for the rival ninja dude were pretty easy.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ninjakiller

ghouls and ghosts .............took a long time playing that damn game to beat it.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NickL

also, i guess i never beat a hard game that others would say is hard, because usually a hard game is not fun, and i dont play a game all the way through if i am not having fun... i guess the hardest would be gears 1 or gears 2 on insane... but i dont think that was really that hard

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wolverine

I played through Halo 1 and 2 on legendary.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Inf225

I beat Person 3 fes 'the answer'... now THAT was a bitch!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#33  Edited By vager

You can't really beat it but, Dwarf Fortress.
I had to watch almost 7 hours of video tutorials to understand everything in that game.
There are still somethings that I have a hard time doing (Water/Magma Channeling) but I can get a pretty big fortress in no time now.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nasar7

Another vote for Ninja Gaiden Black and II. They really aren't that hard... Also, Viewtiful Joe, DMC series, and F-Zero GX. Now there's a hard game, F-Zero GX is a tough motherf*cker. It felt so good to finally beat all the tracks and story mode.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By chstupid

ninja  giden 2

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By c1337us

I would have to agree with Ninja Gaiden Black. I never really found it "easy" but I was expecting it too be so much harder then I found it to be. I also beat Alma first go in that game as well. I was also assured by people that F.E.A.R. would hand me my arse a lot but that never really happened either. Similar thing could be said about CoD4.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By willin

Megaman 9 and Halo 3 on Legendary by myself (2nd last level is like pain made into level design).

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Ineedaname

Not necessarily hard but I beat Full Throttle within a few hours.

Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pantalooney

Ninja Gaiden 1-2 and All COD on 360 on veteran

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vasta_narada

Does Kaizo Mario 1 and 2 count? I managed to finish those (yes I used save states >_> I don't see how you play those games without them). If not, I finished the original 6 Megaman games. People around me tend to think they're hard. I finished CoD4 (including Mile High Club) on Veteran. What else, what else...I'm drawing a blank. There's probably something impressive somewhere, though.

EDIT: Oh, I finished Ikaruga on Hard. It was physically painful.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Stalker Oblivion Lost mod on Master difficulty was pretty difficult, but I played through it. I have also played through the original Ghost Recon.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SpecTackle

World of Warcraft.

Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deathdealer108

Revenge of Shinobi for the sega genesis comes to mind. That last boss took me forever. He throws his hair at you and the girl your trying to save is getting crushed to death in the background. Ahhhhhh fun times

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@ColumnBreaker said:
" World of Warcraft. "
Technically you can't "beat" an MMO.
SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpecTackle
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @ColumnBreaker said:
" World of Warcraft. "
Technically you can't "beat" an MMO. "
But I did.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By StarFoxA
@natetodamax: It's not that difficult if you try over and over.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CL60

Halo 1, 2, and 3 on legendary and Gears 1 and 2 on Insane...

They are simple...very simple.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By jonnyboy

The Simpsons games:

Bart vs the Space Mutants on the Amiga took me YEARS! Only did it after I found you can skip past the last cement section in Springfield Mall, and that was on level 2!

Much later I played the new Simpsons game on the 360. Holy Shit! The Camera and controls in that game are legendarily bad. I have yet to meet someone in person that has beaten the game and the time challenges. All my friends and my wife gave up at the same spot, the alien invasion level. It's a shame cos the script for that game is way, way better than the show or film ever was.

So yeah Simpsons games, hard for a number of fucking reasons.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TimeWaffle

My friend kept telling me how insanely hard RE 4 and i beat it easy

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TGB

Original Ninja Gaiden, that game is a bitch thanks to its propensity for having Rocket Pack ninjas and birds knock you into pits.