The increase in spam on forum

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Hi all

So I have flagged five spam entries on the forum today and I have run out of flags to issue.

Is there a reason there been an increase?

They seem to posting spam as questions at the moment.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This has been going on for a very long time at this point. I don't know the specifics but it does seem like some of the bots have gotten better at posting things that look legitimate at first glance, mostly by copying material from other forum posts here or elsewhere.

I think the issue is that this is just old forum software that doesn't do a good job of screening out spam posts by more modern bots, and if there's no mod around at the time the stuff gets posted it stays up for awhile. It's mostly during the North American night when I'd guess that the number of mods online is lower or zero.

The real question I have is why this forum gets targeted so much. It has contracted a lot over the last few years and doesn't have a huge userbase, while most of the people on here are savvy enough to not click any of the links, so who is this stuff even for? I assume the answer is that the bots are self directing and just look for random forums where they can post, but I wonder how the business model actually works. Probably just how cheap it is to run bots vs. the volume of spam you can get out there.

BoyNukem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're in the KETO ghetto now boys.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I see a ton of threads in the mornings in my timezone where I don't think any mods are on and I flag most of them although recently there has been such an influx that I've stopped bothering.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I have flagged a lot of those threads too but I'm not sure if it serves any purpose because it's not like mods can't see that "Free Lions v. Packers Stream!!!!" or "Will Gulag Keto Make You Look Delicious?" are probably spam threads even without flags.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

It is an issue the moderation team and staff are aware of on the site. As some have said, when spam bots crop up, please continue flagging their threads. Also, understand that we take breaks and cannot be on the site 24/7 and that often results in the "waves" some might observe.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, European morning time here is rough with spam.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just miss the funny mistranslated spam. Almost a decade later and I still think about "Sonic the Gnawer 3 and Arm".

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

China was never going to let it go when Ryan said "China don't care."

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@bigsocrates: I mostly flag posts in legitimate topics because I imagine those you can’t find unless you’re actively scanning all threads.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

So, you don't want dozens of links to the latest sports event?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I also flag stuff when it's in a 'real' post for the same reason and I do sometimes flag the obvious spam but I worry that even going into the thread to flag it increases its views and the Bots might get data suggesting their links are being seen.

It's just annoying as heck. I think the mod team does a good job all things considered but I feel like the botters are like jerks who litter all over a public place for their own amusement.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: I've personally ran out if my supply of streeOverlord, the guy I get it from is serving time for smuggling hornet wings and I need a new dangerously unproven male enhancement for when I'm gaming!

MtnDoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really have to watch yourself out there. I almost clicked on a spam wall in a moment of weakness. The eerie undeniability of it all is palpable. I don't want to be friends with an Indonesian refugee, a popsicle stick, and a horde of outdated technology. We have to stick together to remind each other that we're worth more than indefinite servitude. I for one am cashing my chips in!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15 chaser324  Moderator

Not sure what you people are talking about. Archwar is clearly the GOTY.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem is bots don‘t sleep, while moderators do. And with the automation tools out there (a lot of which have legitimate uses) it’s fairly easy for even the minimally trained to build some sort of attack tool. And hell it might not even be a bot - a manual fraudster could hit all the main gaming forums in an afternoon of work. It’s the same principle as gold farming - as long as these posts show a minimum profit for somebody somewhere in the world, somebody will try something.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jokes on you I'm over here nose-deep in fr*e U*C F*ghts. I've only had 3 men call my house trying to blackmail me saying they're the feds, and I only paid one. But yeah keeeep complaining folks.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

So, you don't want dozens of links to the latest sports event?

Look, I JUST want to make CEO wages while working 20 hours from home, WHY MUST YOU THWART MY DREAMS?!