The negative gamer stereotype

callik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By callik
"Best Computer games ... for heavens sake socilaise, travel, play sport, get a life"

"I am not remotely interested to know what some sad person who means nothing to me, has as a favourite computer game, nor would I expect anyone with a life of their own to give 2 hoots what my favourite game might be. Can we discuss something else please?

"I don't believe in computer games, and would never let my children play them. I wouldn't want them killing one of their friends or shooting up a school."

"Computer games are for weakling nerds. Do something useful with your time such as meeting the opposite sex, drinking with friends, or going to the gym or playing sport."

These were some of the comments made on the BBC have your say board under the topic of "What's your favourite ever computer game?"

As we all know modern gaming is far from the 'nerdy introverted spotty teen sitting in a darkened room/basement' image of yesteryear and it's an entertainment form in it's own right, so how do you react or respond to people who overtly put down or speak out against gaming in such a manner as demonstrated by the quotes above?
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Systech

I hate this stereotype. I exercise more than the average person and I hang out with my friends (both nerdy and popular).

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vaultboy

Well, as a gamer I find the "your favorite game" thing a boring topic.  I'd much rather talk about a specific game or a game concept.  I would rather the people who generate the "your favorite game" topics, post a topic about their favorite game.  Then discussion can be about that game.

As far as the negative stereotype, I think it's best just to ignore these people.  You can't have a rational conversation with them, because they're essentially trolls.  Why else take the time to post about a topic you have no interest in?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

The thing I find funny is they call gamers nerds but we practically made leet speak, I guess you could say. Leet speak morphed into instant messaging speak, and now it's texting speak!

Anyway, I'm guessing my Dad hates me because I didn't develop into some sports star, don't like sports, and have nothing in common with him. To him sitting on the computer is still doing nothing. It couldn't be further from the truth to me, I'm meeting new friends, interacting socially (just not physically) over the internet, and playing with my friends on XBL. I don't understand where not only parents, but downright assholes can stereotype every gamer as a nerd with no life, or a nerd as a bad thing. Alpha nerd Bill Gates revolutionized the internet which is what everybody uses nowadays.

And then there's the negativity with mature games. Any kid who becomes corrupt by video games is the parent's fault, a parent who thinks their kid will kill someone doesn't have the fucking balls to raise their child properly. Excuse the grammar and the ranting, but I'm done. Excuse me while I have no life -- happily. :D

cepwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cepwin

Yeah, I hear that kind of stuff too.  One of my closest Friends (if not my closest Friend)  can't understand my attraction to video games...she couldn't imagine their young daughter spending time doing it when she gets older.  I think she considers it a grand waste of time vis-a-vis reading or other activities.   Her Husband doesn't game but I think he appreciates it more.  He was able to appreciate the work that went into "recreating" NYC in GTA4 as he watched me drive around the game environment.  (I did mute the sound as there was language not appropriate for their four year old to hear.)   In general, I think a lot of people who don't play current gen games have little concept  for the  "works of art" (for lack of a better word) that they are.  However, once you can get someone to try something appropriate for them they understand.   My 70+ year old Dad was totally enthralled with Forza 2 once he tried it.  (However, convincing my Mom to let him get a 360 would be another matter entirely. LOL) 
BTW, They can't accuse me of not "playing sport" as I workout daily  :-).