The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and How It Affects Video Games (and Giant Bomb)

elise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elise

Due to the funny coincidence that The Phantom Pain has the exact same initials it's difficult to find out if there's a similar topic already created... sorry if there is!

Without getting too political sounding some of the ways this agreement can affect video games and Giant Bomb specifically is pretty scary. Those that create derivative works (like Quick Looks) under fair use are not protected in the same ways as copyright holders. Games journalists also have a lot to lose as they can be criminally punished for reporting on unreleased game information.

As someone who has personally participated in the copyright grey area by creating fanart for events, I think it is something worth being informed on. I thought this video was pretty good in outlining a very dry and boring subject with real world examples (like the Dark Souls fixes)

What do you guys think? Would you like to see the Bomb crew discuss this kind of stuff in more detail on the podcast or in an article?

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would hope they get around to giving this a look and discussing it on the podcast or something. I'm ashamed to say that I've only just read up on the TPP this morning. This thing has serious and far reaching consequences.

I feel like the fact that there's no posts in this thread is a good indicator that a lot of people aren't aware of this thing, but if they were aware of the details, there'd be a large amount of outrage. This appears to be even bigger than SOPA, but they did a good job of keeping it secretive..

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah a shame it is not a well known thing. But it is designed to be that way.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I can't find any good articles detailing the TPP on reputable news sites.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

everything I've read suggests this is SOPA part 2 but worse.

Given the clandestine nature of this being rammed through Congress and the near complete lack of of coverage in the media, I don't trust it one bit.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By caska

They have only recently (in the last day or two in Australia) released the document to the public so the real analysis should be coming along soon.

Edit: Adding a link to show that there's still a long way to go before this thing to actually be implemented

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

Man this thing sucks balls.

Although I'm not surprised.

Also, kind of on topic. I don't think there's any shame in not knowing about these kinds of things. This is a concept that in economics is called rational ignorance - when the effort taken to educate oneself is simply not worth the outcome. In this case the knowledge of the specifics of the bill doesn't really solve anything for most people.

Just knowing how dangerous the TPP is doesn't really change anything.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BradBrains

this stuff is gonna happen. this bill will eventually pass. companies have lobbies that will keep pushing until they can control the narritive. a sopa type bill will pass.

then a company will take someone to court and eventually someone will fight it and it will be changed.

the inernet is big and hard to control so of course they are trying to control it.

not trying to sound defeatist but thats just what happens. it will get worse before it gets better