The VGAs are Bad or Terrible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

They made a "... then I took an arrow in the knee" joke at the first possible opportunity. So like I said, bad or terrible?

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlastProcessing

Anything that doesn't give Deus Ex: Human Revolution at least a GOTY nomination is automatically deplorable.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I just tuned in. Will tell.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum

neither, it's fucking HORRID.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

I'm not watching this year so I can't say for sure if they've improved but based on last year I'm gonna say they are atrocious.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Some good games get announced and good trailers get shown. Its good for that, stupid for the actual awards.

I usually watch it just to see how many lame jokes there are

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alexpiercey

In their Portal 2 montage, they used footage from before Stephen Merchant was voicing Wheatley. AMATEURS!!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By project343

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. But man, those exclusives are like crack.

Whoever thought of that augmented reality thing should be fired.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dtat

This is the worst. The absolute worst. It's because of things like this show that people who enjoy games are still put into this insulting category of "Gamers." If we don't get past this image that Spike is perpetuating, Games will never be able to become anything more than a toy for immature 24 year-old males in the public eye. Please just stop, Spike. Please. I don't need dudes on a stage showing footage of robots and explosions and then shouting "HOW COOL WAS THAT?!" It's insulting.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bananaz

Gamers is a valid category because it describes people who do a thing.

But yeah, pretty bad. Who is this guy? He has, like, negative charisma.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

I don't think I care too much about who wins, I just want to watch it 'cause for one, it's about games, and two, I want to see the new trailers and announcements (though I can just see them on the internet). I hated last years awards show, it was my first, and it should be my last because it isn't great, but like I said, I watch it for the announcements.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's unfunny, I don't care about the rewards at all, the crowd is probably not composed of many people who care about what is even being shown and the augmented reality is crap. But those exclusives...

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DougQuaid

HOW COOL WAS THAT?!

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dtat

@bananaz said:

Gamers is a valid category because it describes people who do a thing.

But yeah, pretty bad. Who is this guy? He has, like, negative charisma.

Do you call people who watch movies "movie-ers?" What about people who watch tv? Or use the internet? Or read books? As a form of media becomes more ubiquitous, a specific category describpng people who consume it becomes increasingly irrelevant.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Masha2932

Can't watch it in Australia :-( 

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bananaz

@Dtat: Yes. The terms are moviegoers, viewers, internet users, and readers. Reviewers in papers and magazines use those terms frequently.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dtat

@bananaz said:

@Dtat: Yes. The terms are moviegoers, viewers, internet users, and readers. Reviewers in papers and magazines use those terms frequently.

The connotation is different and you know it. Those words are convenient terms to refer to a segment of the market. "Gamer" is used specifically to describe a person's lifestyle. There is an image of the "gamer" as being a 20 to 30 year old immature dude who spends his time shooting people on Xbox Live and going "OH SHIT!" when he sees explosions. That is the image that people picture when they use the word "gamer." There is no such stereotype of the "reader" or "moviegoer."

Not trying to be aggressive to you personally by the way. I just get really frustrated by a lot of the games press for perpetuating this stereotype.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By kingzetta
@Dtat said:

This is the worst. The absolute worst. It's because of things like this show that people who enjoy games are still put into this insulting category of "Gamers." If we don't get past this image that Spike is perpetuating, Games will never be able to become anything more than a toy for immature 24 year-old males in the public eye. Please just stop, Spike. Please. I don't need dudes on a stage showing footage of robots and explosions and then shouting "HOW COOL WAS THAT?!" It's insulting.

this
Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Strife777

It's pretty terrible. I only watch it for the reveal trailers. And I could actually wait for those to be put up on gametrailers.

I understand the reason for all that stuff (celebrities and all that). If they didn't do it, it would never be on TV. But it still really sucks.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The VGAa are pretty good and real fun, stop acting high and mighty, dudes.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

I can wait an hour for the annoucements to pop up on every site ever without having to subject myself to cheesy TV.

I'll just study for exams.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Sooperspy

I really only care for the exclusive trailers. Everything else is pretty shitty. Zachary Levi sucks at hosting this, too.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TentPole

@AhmadMetallic said:

There is nothing high and mighty about hating something as stupid, shallow and insulting as this show. If you like it that is cool. Don't shit on those who don't.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By triviaman09

VGA's are physically painful

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

It's alright. God, had no idea that gaming award shows are such serious business. Leave it to gamers to always act as if they have pine cones up in their buttholes.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainCody

@FluxWaveZ said:

It's unfunny, I don't care about the rewards at all, the crowd is probably not composed of many people who care about what is even being shown and the augmented reality is crap. But those exclusives...

Is that shit even real?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel

@AhmadMetallic said:

No one is acting high and mighty. The show is just stupid. There's only one reason worth tuning in; the trailers. But even those could easily be seen on Youtube.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TentPole said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

There is nothing high and mighty about hating something as stupid, shallow and insulting as this show. If you like it that is cool. Don't shit on those who don't.

I'm shitting on those who gave me the impression that the VGA's was some horribly superficial show with a lot of smiling fake-sounding tools, ACTIVISION banners everywhere and big breasted babes all over the place. 

Now that I'm watching it for the first time, it's pretty damn entertaining. Not even remotely as bad or insulting or awkward as us "real ass gamers" make it out to be.
TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TentPole

@AhmadMetallic: Did you see the host getting tea-bagged on stage?

Once again if you like it that is cool. Stop being a judgmental ass-hole and let us be judgmental ass-holes in peace.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Yanngc33

It feels like they really tried but it's awful. It's not an award show, it's some kind of advertisement show with funny 30 second disneyland sketches in the middle

pr0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pr0p

This is pretty terrible on all levels. Felicia Day paired with a Jonas brother is like crossing the streams, and Shigeru Miyamoto being on stage was the only time it briefly flirted with legitimacy.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TentPole said:

Once again if you like it that is cool. Stop being a judgmental ass-hole and let us be judgmental ass-holes in peace.

Hell no, this is the first time I'm playing the role of the judgemental non-cynical non-judgemental mofo in years, let me enjoy it!
killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By killacam

@Dtat said:

you said it.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By trace

There's a few too many VGA threads saying basically the same thing, so let's move any further VGA hate/discussion to this thread. Thanks!