The Xbox 360 digital store closing July 2024. Purchases still redownloadable. Backwards compatible games still buyable.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

So the Xbox 360 store is closing.

Sony tried this and failed with the PS3 store but I think Microsoft is prepared for the backlash and will go through with it. The reason to close the store is almost certainly payment security. It's an ancient platform and allowing purchases on it is probably a security nightmare. They won't be taking down the ability to redownload stuff and a lot of the games have migrated to the Xbox One/Series store, which is presumably built to modern spec and easier to keep current from a security standpoint because it is, I believe, HTML based instead of custom storefront software.

Personally I'm a little sad about this but I can't say I'm overly affected. I have bought a couple things on the 360 store this year but they were minor and most of my favorite 360 games are backwards compatible or only disc based anyway. The store was open for 18 years, which is a pretty good run, and the games will be downloadable even after this. From a preservation perspective it's pretty bad and Microsoft has talked a big game about that, but at the end of the day it's a digital storefront that likely isn't making any money.

I hope there are some big blowout sales before it goes, and maybe a few games moved over to backwards compatibility.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm so going to miss Xbox Live Marketplace (Xbox 360 Era) when they close by next year! the same goes that what if PlayStation Network Store (PlayStation 3 era) closes down then I'm so going to miss it too!

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By eccentrix

The Microsoft Movies and TV apps will also stop working on July 29, 2024, so anything in your library there won't be viewable after that date.

This is why I dislike buying movies and TV shows digitally. Games are generally protected, but how long will it be until your Youtube paid media library is lost forever? I've bought a couple of rarer things on Youtube, and I would be willing to invest more, but I just don't trust it to last. Steam feels safer, but it's not built for it. The Steam player didn't even have subtitle options the last time I checked.

If there was a solid video library service with a good player and options to purchase digitally, with extras like DVD-style special features, I'd buy all sorts of stuff on there.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@eccentrix: My understanding is that the videos won't be viewable on Xbox 360 but will still be viewable on a modern Windows machine or via Xbox One or Series X. So yes if the Xbox 360 was your only way to view that library and you're not running Windows or an upgraded Xbox you won't be able to view that content without installing Windows on something, but I would guess the number of people in that situation who have content they still watch is pretty low. Not ideal, I will agree, but if you invested a bunch in a library it's not like you're SOL. You just need to install Windows on a laptop and run an HDMI cord to your TV (or if you have an Xbox One or Series X just watch on that.)

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Literally nobody uses a 360 still. Good riddance.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@bigsocrates: Oh, I read it as the whole service shutting down entirely, like iTunes, but I guess it just says 'apps'.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Per “Xenu” in the comments of the VGC article about this subject, here are the games currently not available on other digital storefronts:

0D Beat Drop

Arkadian Warriors

Battlezone

Blazing Birds

CrazyMouse

Crimson Alliance

Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons

Fire Pro Wrestling

Fruit Ninja Kinect

Full House Poker

Fusion: Genesis

Gel: Set & Match

Geon: Emotions

Hybrid

JAM Live Music Arcade

Kinect Fun Labs (14 games)

Kinect Sport Gems (10 games)

Panzer General: Allied Assault

Schizoid

Spyglass Board Games

Totemball

Wing Commander Arena

Wits & Wagers

Yo-Ho Kablammo

Zombie Wranglers

Hopefully someone starts carrying those on another platform, although I won’t hold out any hope on those Kinect games. But this might be helpful for anyone figuring out what to prioritize if they’d like to preserve the affected games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigsocrates  Online

@eccentrix:https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/store/xbox-360-marketplace-update

Yes, Movies & TV content purchased through the Microsoft Movies & TV app on your Xbox 360 will be available to view on other supported Windows and Xbox devices. The Microsoft Movies & TV app is available on Windows devices running Windows 10 or later, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S devices. Any content that you buy from the Store will be added to your library and be available to view on such devices.

I think that's pretty clear that the content will still be viewable on other devices. Not perfect but not the same as having your library wiped.

@sombre: I still play a small amount of 360 every year. I've finished games like Need for Speed The Run, Fuse, Homefront, and Inversion within the last few years. I also played that Yars' Revenge weird Panzer Dragoon-like some this year. But yeah my purchases on the 360 have been minimal over the last few years. I would be upset if I lost access to my already owned library but not being able to buy more after a year of warning is not a huge deal. People have time to buy what they want, and play what they want to play in the future. It will have been around for almost 19 years.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine's long been boxed up but I still have a copy of Gears 2 I've never finished. Plus I've got copies of Bayonetta and Crackdown that I will definitely replay at some point before death. Possibly.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Most of my games are in physical form, but the Movie thing did worry me as someone who hasn't been able to buy a console since the 360 gen, and that's the only place I could buy Jodorowski's Dune. Fortunately I'm running a few Windows PCs, so that's still safe.

As for games: well, that is actually a total bummer. I think the real gems that would be lost were already delisted because of licensing (Outrun 2 and After Burner: Climax for example), but yeah, bummer anyway.

Do we see the same thing with Xbone games eventually or are those safe by virtue of playing natively on the Series and Microsoft will think of backwards compatibility going forward? They kinda have to based on their "last gen was when people went fully digital and locked in their libraries and platforms" comment, right?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigsocrates  Online

@cozmicaztaway: The Xbox One store is, as far as I know, the same as the Series X/S store, so I think it's in no danger of going down (at least for now.) It's worth noting that Xbox 360 games that are on the Series X/S store because of backwards compatibility are going to remain for sale, so I think it's really this particular store front that is closing and I doubt it will affect the current store front unless they make a new one some day (but since I think the current one is HTML based they shouldn't have to.)

I think there is a chance that Xbox as a brand folds or goes cloud only in the next 5-10 years, so that might change things, but for now I don't think the Xbone store is in any danger.