Time limited /now unavailable Achievments?

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deleth

Do you know the feeling when you're playing a game, and you're really having fun. And you're doing most of the achievments while playing anyway, not to get the achievments. But you know that you will never ever be able to get 100% on that game. Not because some of the achievments are "too hard" or anything, but simply because they were time limited or are not availabe any longer.

I don't know why. But it really really demotivates me playing in general. Like right now I am playing "Dungeons of Dredmor" and I am slowly getting most of the achievments (while dying a lot, rogue like + perma death does that to me). But I know no matter how much effort I put into it, I wont ever get 100% on that game, since there's a certain achievment which one can no longer get. And I end up asking myself, why bother once I finished the game and got enough achievments for an A rank. Since that's as good as it gets?

I'm not just talking about this game, there are quite a few games were achievments aren't available any longer. And it kind of irks me whenever I look at these games and I often end up not buying/playing them. How do you guys feel about this, is it just me?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

Hopefully, developers will remember that they've made the achievement unattainable, and can have it pulled from the game. This can happen on Steam (Torchlight used to have an achievement called something like "Iron Man" or something, where you complete the game without ever dying. It was deemed either too hard, or the achievement kept bugging out and not unlocking even when people did it, I can't remember which). I don't know if that is possible on Xbox Live and PSN, since they have "values" associated with them that would have to be reassigned or something.

So if we're lucky, the devs will remember to remove the achievement for the Deadshot skill (or did you mean the Sewer Brew achievement?), now that that skill is no longer in the game. There's still 1 or 2 other achievements that are basically impossible to get at this point, so I don't expect to ever S-rank it either.

In generally, usually I'll look at the achievements of a game early on, to size up whether they're remotely possible, and if a few of them aren't, then I decide that I'll just play the game and not concern myself with coming anywhere close to an S-rank. Lots of games just aren't worth it, even if none of the achievements are strictly impossible.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Deathawk

Final Fantasy XI has the most comically unachievable achievement set I've ever heard of. Basically you have to max out every character class level set to get them all. Need I remind you this is an MMO and even doing that once takes forever?

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Harkat

I need to go get those online killing spree achievements for Avatar: The Game.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

I fucking hate multiplayer Achievements, especially when they are tied to online progression.

Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Jonnyflash80

I think you're putting too much emphasis on achievements, to the point that it's taking away from your enjoyment of the game. What's more important? Your gamer-score or thoroughly enjoying a good video game from beginning to end.

I am of the opinion that, in some cases, achievements are hurting video games because developers put in some excruciatingly difficult achievements that people such as yourself will chase to the ends of the earth. Achievements were made to be a fun little extra you get for doing special things in games. As soon as they become a job and make you hate the game you are playing, they are not worth getting.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EchoEcho

I'm never going to get more than half the Achievements in Armored Core: For Answer on 360, due to almost nobody playing multiplayer -- and those that do are a super-exclusive club, apparently. I tried playing Armored Core 4 multiplayer once, and there was only a single group of people I could manage to get matched up with. Problem was, every time I joined the group via matchmaking, they'd cuss me out and then boot me from the game. Super frustrating, but what can you do.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

Batman has an achievement for speaking to Calender Man on special dates, and then they released the PC version AFTER thanks giving... meaning if I want that I have to wait a whole year. it will be unobtainable to me.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's just the way it is. There's very few achievements that aren't technically possible at all anymore, though there are plenty that are impossible for any reasonable person, or require a special alignment of the planets to get. The vast majority of those would be multiplayer achievements on old games.

I rented Far Cry 2 and saw there were multiplayer achievements. I didn't even bother trying.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Dingofighter
@AlisterCat said:

Batman has an achievement for speaking to Calender Man on special dates, and then they released the PC version AFTER thanks giving... meaning if I want that I have to wait a whole year. it will be unobtainable to me.

Can't you just change the system date? That is usually how these things work, right?
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Branthog

@JoeyRavn said:

I fucking hate multiplayer Achievements, especially when they are tied to online progression.

Especially for games where the multiplayer community will last for approximately twelve days before it vanishes like 98% of every other half-assed multiplayer concept tacked on to a game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss

"Game Master" for Smash TV was never obtainable and will never be fixed so I will forever have 150/200 gamerscore on the game.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By w00ties

@JoeyRavn said:

Me too. I never bother with online achievements. I'm pretty sure the Gears of War trilogy is the worst for them.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deathawk

@JoeyRavn said:

I remember when I bought Turok, it was like the most depressing thing ever. Not because the multiplayer achievements are literally half of the possible achievements, but because it tells the story of a developer clearly living in denial about how there game will do in the marketplace.