Top 5 games that had awsome trailers but actually crap

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Trailers are very important for video games. Since mainstream gaming is mostly a shallow vacuous money driven image of asthetics, it's what sells them. Along with currupt media lying. This is my list of games that had awsome trailers with the game itself actually being really crappy. Big turds. 1 is the best trailer. 5 the least best (but still the best).

1. Assassin's Creed Revelations

This has a cool trailer. Full of emotion and all that crap. Ubisoft is very good at promos. Most games they make look awsome. But in reality, most are garbage. This game is garbage. A re-hash of an already overrated game that doesn't deserve million of sales. Also drm. Matrix ripoff. Waste of time.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2

This is actually the intro of the game but it was a teaser used. It makes it look like you play as cool dude macho man. In reality, you play as Leonardo Dicaprio man boy. I was very hyped for this game and ran out and got it on day release. Even imported it but the thing wouldn't work. Sadly, I didn't realize the entire thing was a movie. Well, not a movie, like a badly written anime episode stretched out to about 30 hours. The trailer is cool because it short. After hours, it just becomes annoying. Overall, terrible game, good trailer. Metal Gear Solid 3/4 also suck but this has a good intro/trailer.

3. Mass Effect 2

This launch trailer stole music from Titanic. I played the original game. It seemed average at best. Like a fool, I gave into the hype. All this talk about "it fixed the problems". "It's amazing best game ever". No, it is terrible. You go round collecting people like pokemon and keep them in your pokemon area (like all Bioware games ever). It's suppose to be this amazingly emotionally engaging experience. Bioware themselves claim they are attempting to make "the most emotionally engaging games ever". Sadly, every character sounds like a Vulcan or Data from startrek. Characters who have no emotion. Overall, this is gears of war if it was in space more and even worse.

4. Grand Theft Auto 4

Grand Theft Auto 4 sold millions and millions. It was gods gift to man. Critics fapped like mad until they had a face like a light bulb that had taken LSD. Or so it appeared. The game is like Grand Theft Auto 3 without the fun. Thats all you need to say really.... short but accurate description. The trailer is great. But thats because it is a total ripoff of "Koyaanisqatsi". Overall, boring game.

5. Dead Island

Much like GTA4, this trailer is a ripoff of "The Scientist" from Coldplay. Coldplay probably ripped it off as well. Either way, this is ripoff. This game is best described as "stalker" without the scares, tension, or fun. It is really crappy. It is mostly melee based but still very boring. At the point of release, I was already sick of zombie games. But this is probably the crappest zombie game I have played (outside of Resident Evil).

Feel free to suggest your own.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trailers are very important for video games. Since mainstream gaming is mostly a shallow vacuous money driven image of asthetics, it's what sells them. Along with currupt media lying. This is my list of games that had awsome trailers with the game itself actually being really crappy. Big turds. 1 is the best trailer. 5 the least best (but still the best).

This has a cool trailer. Full of emotion and all that crap. Ubisoft is very good at promos. Most games they make look awsome. But in reality, most are garbage. This game is garbage. A re-hash of an already overrated game that doesn't deserve million of sales. Also drm. Matrix ripoff. Waste of time.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2

This is actually the intro of the game but it was a teaser used. It makes it look like you play as cool dude macho man. In reality, you play as Leonardo Dicaprio man boy. I was very hyped for this game and ran out and got it on day release. Even imported it but the thing wouldn't work. Sadly, I didn't realize the entire thing was a movie. Well, not a movie, like a badly written anime episode stretched out to about 30 hours. The trailer is cool because it short. After hours, it just becomes annoying. Overall, terrible game, good trailer. Metal Gear Solid 3/4 also suck but this has a good intro/trailer.

3. Mass Effect 2

This launch trailer stole music from Titanic. I played the original game. It seemed average at best. Like a fool, I gave into the hype. All this talk about "it fixed the problems". "It's amazing best game ever". No, it is terrible. You go round collecting people like pokemon and keep them in your pokemon area (like all Bioware games ever). It's suppose to be this amazingly emotionally engaging experience. Bioware themselves claim they are attempting to make "the most emotionally engaging games ever". Sadly, every character sounds like a Vulcan or Data from startrek. Characters who have no emotion. Overall, this is gears of war if it was in space more and even worse.

4. Grand Theft Auto 4

Grand Theft Auto 4 sold millions and millions. It was gods gift to man. Critics fapped like mad until they had a face like a light bulb that had taken LSD. Or so it appeared. The game is like Grand Theft Auto 3 without the fun. Thats all you need to say really.... short but accurate description. The trailer is great. But thats because it is a total ripoff of "Koyaanisqatsi". Overall, boring game.

5. Dead Island

Much like GTA4, this trailer is a ripoff of "The Scientist" from Coldplay. Coldplay probably ripped it off as well. Either way, this is ripoff. This game is best described as "stalker" without the scares, tension, or fun. It is really crappy. It is mostly melee based but still very boring. At the point of release, I was already sick of zombie games. But this is probably the crappest zombie game I have played (outside of Resident Evil).

Feel free to suggest your own.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jrinswand

And that, my friend, is why you should never watch trailers. Just watch gameplay videos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Trolling much?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

none of those games are crap dude. Sure, I don't like MGS2 or GTAIV, but that doesn't make them crap.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kashif1

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: But revelations and the mgs games were great.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By supermonkey122

Troll level 3/5, had me at first, but a little too obvious.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jrinswand said:

And that, my friend, is why you should never watch trailers. Just watch gameplay videos.

I agree 100% and thats exactly what I do now. Saints Row 3 done a good job in just showing the developer play the game. Nothing was misleading. Everything in the trailer, in game.

Part of the problem I think is that games are trying to be movies rather than video games.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/10 troll, made me respond.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jrinswand

You guys should know by now that OP hates everything. Everything except for the Total War games, which he doesn't play because he's sooo much better than everybody else.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Nah. Dead Island was actually really fun. Revelations was fun too.

I agree with GTA IV though. I have not played the other two.

Opinions, opinions..

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hot_Karl

That Dead Island trailer was never very good. It was interesting to see, but I can't say that it got me hyped for the game, though I probably would've disregarded it upon release anyway.

Dead Island is so busted & janky that I kind of love it, but I always feel terrible playing it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHumanDove

I wish I could have such sophisticated tastes as OP.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I give this Opinion/10.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BonOrbitz

@wewantsthering said:

Trolling much?

Remember the OP's name because you can expect a lot of troll posts (and spelling errors) from them.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnrealDP

Maaaaan, trolling and not even attempting to mask it, eh? I really feel sorry for who ever ends up stumbling in here and feeding you...

EDIT: Since everyone else is doing it; 2/5 Troll, a little too obvious for my taste and way too generic. More originality would be much appreciated!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

I like how I can verify that at least two of these games are actually pretty good.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Worst. Troll. Ever.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

What?

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Still_I_Cry said:

Opinions, opinions..

Dead Island was better than Far Cry 2. But thats not saying much.

Compared to stalker though it is very poor.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bell_End

none of those games are crap. your just one of these everything is either WOOO!!AMAZiNG!!! or FUCKIN!!CRAP!!! poster

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I thought this thread was going to be crap and it turned out to be crap. 

congratulations.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Sackmanjones

It's weird th…… oh nevermind, no food for you.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

You're a little harsh there, but basically correct. Revelations promised a lot and turned out to be the one-too-many rehash that left a bad Assassin's Creed taste in my mouth. That trailer had me charmed and duped. 

3. Mass Effect 2

Again, a little harsh. Yes the game was a glorified ally gatherer, and yes the characters feel cold and fake trying to express human emotions in a stiff and blunt manner, but the game delivered a very good experience. Probably the only game where I allowed the cinematics and smoke and mirrors crap to compell and entertain me, since I'm usually demanding of good gameplay. 
I would say the Mass Effect 2 trailer was deserving of its greatness because the game as a full package was very good indeed, unforgettable even. And that's something. 

4. Grand Theft Auto 4

A popular opinion, but what you fail to understand is that GTA IV is just as much fun as GTA 3, only it delivered the fun from a different approach and via different methods. You just didn't give it a chance.. Believe me, it's a worthy Grand Theft Auto experience. 
Also you're a bit big on the term 'rip off'. It's called influences.
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

. Also you're a bit big on the term 'rip off'. It's called influences.

Dude, it's near enough the exact same trailer. They don't credit it either. How many people playing the game will have even heard of Koyaamosqastsi?

To me thats about as much a ripoff as you can get. And it's typical of video games. They are constantly ripping off other media.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@Still_I_Cry said:

Opinions, opinions..

dead island is a completely different game than stalker dude. you can't compare them unless you think all first person games can be compared, which is dumb.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

Opinions, opinions..

dead island is a completely different game than stalker dude. you can't compare them unless you think all first person games can be compared, which is dumb.

Dead Island, Far Cry 2 and Stalker are all similar. It's nothing to do with being "first person". They are all openish world scavenging survival games with rpg elements.

The main diffrence with Dead Island is the melee combat.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Milkman

You're an idiot. 

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bell_End

Shogun total war for me

i mean like the game is total crap. it looks really exciting and dramatic in the trailer and stuff but when you like really play it its so disappointing and boring. i was totally underwhelmed by it. it so bland and disappointing and just really boring and underwhelming.

Praise_the_sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Praise_the_sun

Dead Island is the ultimate answer to this question.

Hands down.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@AhmadMetallic said:

Dude, it's near enough the exact same trailer. They don't credit it either. How many people playing the game will have even heard of Koyaamosqastsi?

To me thats about as much a ripoff as you can get. And it's typical of video games. They are constantly ripping off other media.

Video games are an infant form of art compared to the now-ancient movies and books, what do you expect?
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bell_End said:

Shogun total war for me

i mean like the game is total crap. it looks really exciting and dramatic in the trailer and stuff but when you like really play it its so disappointing and boring. i was totally underwhelmed by it. it so bland and disappointing and just really boring and underwhelming.

Actually Shogun 2 had gameplay shown prior at a Staracraft II event. It was being played live. The developers also released several videos showing the developer themselfs playing the game.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By novadth

This had the potential to be cool but just turned out to be a trite attempt at trolling.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jrinswand

@AhmadMetallic said:

I've heard of Koyaanisqatsi. That movie was apparently pretty big when it came out 20 years ago or so. The only reason I haven't seen it is that, while I enjoy documentaries and independent films, I've heard that the movie is more artsy-fartsy than anything else, and that's not something I truck with.

Also, there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi#Influence
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jrinswand said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I've heard of Koyaanisqatsi. That movie was apparently pretty big when it came out 20 years ago or so. The only reason I haven't seen it is that, while I enjoy documentaries and independent films, I've heard that the movie is more artsy-fartsy than anything else, and that's not something I truck with. Also, there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi#Influence

It is arty farty. And like you say, 20 odd years old. Which is why I suggested most people playing GTA 4 probably haven't even heard of it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Bell_End

Shogun total war for me

Well done… well done.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

@Jrinswand said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I've heard of Koyaanisqatsi. That movie was apparently pretty big when it came out 20 years ago or so. The only reason I haven't seen it is that, while I enjoy documentaries and independent films, I've heard that the movie is more artsy-fartsy than anything else, and that's not something I truck with. Also, there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi#Influence

It is arty farty. And like you say, 20 odd years old. Which is why I suggested most people playing GTA 4 probably haven't even heard of it.

I think the idea was that it was a reference to people who had seen it. Pruit Igoe is even part of the in-game radio music. It seemed pretty obvious to me they were going for homage. GTA games aren't written for children, and the cultural references can appropriately range from the obtuse to the obvious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz said:

@wewantsthering said:

Trolling much?

Remember the OP's name because you can expect a lot of troll posts (and spelling errors) from them.

Good to know. :-)

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts

I seen his name but for some reason I read his post anyway. I should have known better.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jrinswand
@MikkaQ said:

I think the idea was that it was a reference to people who had seen it. Pruit Igoe is even part of the in-game radio music. It seemed pretty obvious to me they were going for homage. GTA games aren't written for children, and the cultural references can appropriately range from the obtuse to the obvious.

The point I was making was that I've both heard of Koyaanisqatsi and played GTAIV, and I'm just a random dude on the internet. Therefore, logic would suggest that there are many others who would have seen the connection as well.
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Praise_the_sun said:

Dead Island is the ultimate answer to this question.

Hands down.

Dead Island was nowere near as hyped as the other titles though. If it was, it surely would be at the top. As it stands though, the trailer helped inject interest into a game noone otherwise cared about.

This is part of the criteria used to gouge the trailer/game quility.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By jonnyboy

How to sell an average game before the reviews hit: 1) Throw money at you marketing team, make a flashy trailer. 2) Pre-order bonuses. If that still won't shift a few copies, just don't send out review copies.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By musubi

Yeah okay. I may not be the biggest fan of Mass Effect or MGS 2 but they are far from being crap games on any level. Opinions are opinions and my opinion of your opinion is that its CRAP.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Humanity

@laserbolts said:

I seen his name but for some reason I read his post anyway. I should have known better.

The ultimate troll psyche out

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MikkaQ

@Jrinswand said:

@MikkaQ said:

The point I was making was that I've both heard of Koyaanisqatsi and played GTAIV, and I'm just a random dude on the internet. Therefore, logic would suggest that there are many others who would have seen the connection as well.

Exactly, there's no way you could call that a rip-off.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I will take this opportunity to say that I disagree with your assessment of every game on your list, except Dead Island. That trailer was an amazing short film that tackled lots of philosophical questions about death and undeath.

The game, however, ended up being a fun dismemberment simulator with an incredible disdain for women and minority groups. You were fun when the zombie head came off, Dead Island.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By N7
@supermonkey122 said:

Troll level 3/5, had me at first, but a little too obvious.

I was about to be mad, but then I was like, man, why am I mad, this guy isn't serious, it's a joke, calm down.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karl_Boss

whyareyoutrollingspock

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hbkdx12

Came in knowing that dead island would be on this list. 

People really have a grudge with that trailer in relation to the actual game.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Still_I_Cry said:

Opinions, opinions..

Why can't we judge the games on their own merits?

What did you hate so much about Dead Island?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're getting annoying and it's not even funny anymore