Totalbiscuit on the passing of Ryan Davis

TJUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just in case you follow Totalbiscuit and haven't heard his recent Content Patch episode, he makes a pretty frank and humble address about the passing of Ryan. It's clear that he respects Ryan and the Giantbomb crew generally for what they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9PT_GKhjH8

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SeanFoster

Very genuine. :)

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I heard him talking about GB in an older video and it's been quite clear that GB has been an inspiration to him, but I didn't expect him to mention this. I'm glad he did, though. Respect.

Also, the John Peel analogy was spot on and he managed to sort of put a word/context to the whole thing especially in the light of my own reaction to what happened, in a way I've been unable to express myself... It's easy to get blindsided by the fact that it's "the internet" ... and yet radio personalities like Mr. Peel were similarly, and dearly, missed in their passing.

lighthaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TB's a big admirer. He also openely admits that his successfull 'wtf' series was inspired by Quick Looks. Looking at his twitter Ryan's death it hit him pretty hard. I'm not sure, but I guess doing a collab with the GiantBomb guys has been / still is probabaly one thing he'd really like to do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

Maybe it's that stupid overlay or the way he just rattles off his death among other noteworthy items like Zombi U sales but it seems extremely in poor taste. You want to talk about someone that influenced you then go ahead, but don't make it just another part of your usual YouTube spiel as if this person's death is equal in importance to Zombi U sales.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moridin

@humanity: It's a gaming news show. This was gaming news. It's the same as looking at Joystiq or Polygon, where stories about Ryan are displayed among other gaming news stories. Listen to what the man said, rather than the way it's presented.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Glad that everyone is expressing their love for Ryan all over the internet.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JouselDelka

FYI he ends the episode at 18:40 by dedicating a song to Ryan based on his love for SMB3

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@moridin: it's a YouTube channel. Also hell yah I'm gonna look at the way it's presented. Just treat it as a separate thing if it's meaningful enough. I suppose thats just me though as I naturally have a strong dislike for all YouTube personalities.

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Maybe it's that stupid overlay or the way he just rattles off his death among other noteworthy items like Zombi U sales but it seems extremely in poor taste. You want to talk about someone that influenced you then go ahead, but don't make it just another part of your usual YouTube spiel as if this person's death is equal in importance to Zombi U sales.

I don't know, it seemed incredibly genuine to me. Did you listen to the whole segment? I thought for a second he was just mentioning in passing, but he really let it all come out. You can tell there was real respect there.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By 49th

He is a big fan of Giant Bomb and I recall seeing him wearing a Lincoln Force t-shirt in one of his videos. There is no reason for him not to have included Ryan in that video, that was almost certainly the biggest news of the week and he is informing an audience who quite frankly can be pretty stupid and uninformed the majority of the time.

t-shirt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWXTwVq0foY

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan of Totalbiscuit buts it's cool that he respects and looks up GB and Ryan.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Watched this earlier, much respect to TotalBiscuit for addressing this news and knowing that Ryan and GB were inspirations for him. I can only imagine how hard it was for him to talk about this incident.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

That was a fantastic tribute. Genuine and touching.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, looking at TB's twitter feed makes me feel really good about the GB community. What a bunch of fucking idiots he has to deal with on a daily basis.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yea TB has always expressed his respect for GB and what it stands for, it was a great tribute.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@keres said:

Man, looking at TB's twitter feed makes me feel really good about the GB community. What a bunch of fucking idiots he has to deal with on a daily basis.

Agreed. Take a look at this shit.
Agreed. Take a look at this shit.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I don't really know where you're coming from on that one. After he read off Rorie's post he sounded incredibly genuine. It actually got to me a little bit listening to him. I didn't find it in poor taste at all.