UK has good taste... F1 2010 outsells Halo Reach

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spikester

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6279713.html

F1 2010 outsold Halo Reach and Dead Rising 2, together, in the UK.

If only it was true worldwide... No, not a Halo fan here (nothing against it, per se. I enjoyed the 1st one a bit.

First let me clarify something. I said I don't mind Halo. I bought the first Halo when it was available on PC and it was an ok game... nothing great, just another shooter with a couple neat features to set it apart. The next games didn't add anything to it. There's also a hundred other FPS games just like it out there, some better and some worse.

F1 2010 on the other hand, well guess what. There hasn't been an F1 game in 6 years! Dissing the game for being a racing game is rather stupid, by the way, as it can take far more skill, endurance, patience, and composure to win a race in F1 2010 than to beat the entire Halo Reach campaign. I say this because 55 laps around Monaco is FUCKING HARD. Now, you certainly don't need to go that far, I've been playing 30% race length so it's more like 15-17 laps, but it's still very tough.

A reason why F1 2010 is in better taste is because, aside from not being "yet another shooter" - which, fanboys, isn't me saying Halo Reach sucks, I'm saying it's all been done before in one form or another and very recently to boot. F1, as I said, has not been done in years and years. Sure there's been other racing games, GRID, Dirt, Forza, GT5P etc etc but these are not F1. It's like a JRPG vs a WRPG vs an RTS! The only similarity is that you're in a vehicle on a track.

They also definitely raised the bar for racing game immersion. You have interviews. You do practice, qualifying, and race day. There's dynamic weather which truely affects the race. You can be fired from your team, or hired by others. There's R&D objectives for small upgrades. The track gets rubbered over the course of the weekend and gets grippier. You have fuel weight, so your car is faster by the end of the race than at the start. Tires wear and can pop. All kinds of stuff that's either innovative or far refined over what any racing game has given in the past.

Halo Reach adds a jetpack. Wooosh!

I'd give Halo 1 credit for having some new things to bring to the genre. But Reach is same old hat. This isn't to say anything of the story mind you. A story is a story, and if I wanted a good one I could play many games with excellent stories, or just read a book/watch a movie.

F1 2010 is in much better taste than Halo Reach. Sorry but it's true.

As a final point to the guys out there who got their panties in a bunch... of course taste is subjective. I say it's in bad taste to hang onto a long running sequels with nothing to add. I think CoD is in bad taste too, surprisingly, while I think Portal or Metro 2033 or Cryostasis or Mirror's Edge were all in quite good taste as they all bring something different to the table

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

Haters gonna... uh, how did that go again?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Soooo...have you played Halo: Reach?  I mean, just curious...since it's far more in line with the first two games in the franchise...and you yourself state that you enjoyed the first one... 

Also, HEY, CHECK IT OUT I GOTZ A THREADZ TO TALK DOWN BOUT DA HALOZ IN!

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CSXLoser
@Spikester said:

"
Driving game better than a shooter? Comparison does not comprehend 
Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Interfect
@jakob187 said:
" HEY, CHECK IT OUT I GOTZ A THREADZ TO TALK DOWN BOUT DA HALOZ IN! "
This man speaks the truth. And the truth is your an annoying fanboy.
Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Spikester
@jakob187 said:
" Soooo...have you played Halo: Reach?  I mean, just curious...since it's far more in line with the first two games in the franchise...and you yourself state that you enjoyed the first one...  Also, HEY, CHECK IT OUT I GOTZ A THREADZ TO TALK DOWN BOUT DA HALOZ IN! "
I have played Halo 3 with Jetpacks.
ebritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ebritt
@CSXLoser said:
" @Spikester said:

"
Driving game better than a shooter? Comparison does not comprehend  "
I much prefer chalk to cheese!
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scrawnto

Yeah, I'm not really into simulators. I've never gotten into the Gran Turismo or Forza thing. F1 seems like it's even further in a direction I don't want to go. All of that means that I'm way more interested in playing Halo: Reach. That said, my game time for this Fall is going mostly into New Vegas.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By niamahai
@Interfect said:

" @jakob187 said:

" HEY, CHECK IT OUT I GOTZ A THREADZ TO TALK DOWN BOUT DA HALOZ IN! "

This man speaks the truth. And the truth is your an annoying fanboy. "
OH HO! THEM FIGHTING WORDS OVER THERE!

FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!    
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

They are probably mad since you said that if you have F1 2010 then you have better tastes than someone who has Halo. 

You should stop thinking you are always right and everyone else is wrong when it comes to games.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Interfect
@niamahai: It's not a fight if other's seem to agree.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

If F1 beat Halo would GT5 beat COD?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By niamahai
@Interfect said:
" @niamahai: It's not a fight if other's seem to agree. "
I thought its always a fight when there is 2 different views.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Trilogy

I really want to "cool story bro" right about now but I'm going to practice some self restraint.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This whole post reads like it should be on ihatehalo.com . Seriouly dude, cut out the crap. You don't like halo, that's fine, but don't go around insulting the game and people who like it at every opportunity.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gargantuan

My mom watches some British home decoration TV shows and they definitely do not have good taste. :P

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CSXLoser said:
" @Spikester said:

"
Driving game better than a shooter? Comparison does not comprehend  "
Dude didn't you hear that F1 2010 was this year's top shooter? I am so happy that the developers have FINALLY addressed the iron sight issue that was glaringly apparent in earlier renditions of the F1 RACING GAME series.

@Spikester said:

Halo Reach adds a jetpack. Wooosh!

Just wait until F1 2011.