jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187
IN THIS BLOG

Howdy folks.  After picking up Call of Duty: Black Ops the night of release (which I somehow coincidentally forgot was coming out that night), I found myself the next day laid out with illness.  As that illness wore on and pain became increasingly impossible to deal with, I went to the hospital to find out what the hell was wrong with me.  In turn, they basically told me that I'm fat and eat like shit.  There was other stuff in there about "fatty liver" and some gallbladder activity or output or something.  It's all written on a paper somewhere.  The long version is - eat healthy and get lots of sleep.  The short version is - I'm eating a lot more Subway.  With that said, games. 

More Like Bore Wars: The Snores Unleashed...  

Wanna play the game? Get ready for hours of this...and only this...
After listening to Brad talk about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II on the Bombcast a couple weeks ago, I knew I needed to play it.  It's not that I disagreed, as I haven't played it.  It's that I have a fondness for the first game, like many people do, that looks past the blemishes it had and finds something far more appealing.  After plugging TFU2 (which almost sounds like a Valve/Bono charity event) for about four missions, I can now say that I've probably played more of that game than I would care to remember. 

TFU2 sucks.  I wish I could put it lightly or in some nicer words, but I can't.  It's a plain and simple truth, a fact that just has to be stated dry and bluntly:  TFU2 sucks.  The story is almost non-existant, and when it tries to be existant, it's paper-thin and hair-brained AT BEST.  The gameplay itself feels improved as far as controls and general physics go, but the linear level design causes many of those improvements to mean very little in the end.  Part of the fun in the first game was playing around with your Force powers, but this time around feels more like a grind through stormtrooper after stormtrooper just to get to an unsatisfying plot point.  There's also that ridiculous appearance by Yoda, which personally seemed more idiotic than hearing Brad tell us about it.  Oh, and if that wasn't enough, the voice acting is generally T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E here.  How terrible?  I explicitly looked up whether Sam Witwer reprised the role because there were plenty of times when Starkiller is yelling and I told myself "there is no WAY that's the same voice actor, it sounds terrible".  Much to my dismay, it IS Sam Witwer...and I'm just thoroughly baffled by that.

Frankly, TFU2 feels like Devil May Cry 2 to me:  there was a lot of potential here to make a bigger and better game, and what we instead received was an understatement to the potential of its predecessor.  Don't buy the game.  Don't rent it.  Just let it die.  It's sad to say that it's throw-away licensed crap from Lucasarts...but that's just what it is. 

CODBLOPS is Still A Thing  

Yo, shit's good!  The small piece of single player I've gotten into has been satisfying so far.  I'm playing through on Hardened, but since I'm only about four missions in, I'm thinking I'll just jump back and start it up on Veteran and play through.  I want to play more of the campaign, but the goddamn multiplayer is so fucking good.  Well, let me rephrase that.  

The goddamn multiplayer is so fucking good...until you get to the problems of respawning.  This has NEVER...and I repeat...NEVER been a problem for me in any previous Call of Duty game.  Therefore, when I am in every fucking match...yelling out "WHY THE FUCK AM I SPAWNING ON TOP OF THE ENEMIES?", it seriously gets to be a level of frustration that I can barely handle.  Regardless, I've been pulling my usual 2.00+ KDR rounds (even pulled a 13.5 last night after going 27/2), and it's definitely proving to be fun.  Maybe one day I'll play Zombies or something, but for now, I'm just going to continue giggling at penis emblems and talking shit about how bad other people are at the game. 

That's all for this time.  Hopefully, this healthy eating and no smoking stuff doesn't turn me into some yuppy scum.  If I buy American Eagle, someone strangle me. 

Until next time, piece. 

P.S. - Zork is still my homie.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187
IN THIS BLOG

Howdy folks.  After picking up Call of Duty: Black Ops the night of release (which I somehow coincidentally forgot was coming out that night), I found myself the next day laid out with illness.  As that illness wore on and pain became increasingly impossible to deal with, I went to the hospital to find out what the hell was wrong with me.  In turn, they basically told me that I'm fat and eat like shit.  There was other stuff in there about "fatty liver" and some gallbladder activity or output or something.  It's all written on a paper somewhere.  The long version is - eat healthy and get lots of sleep.  The short version is - I'm eating a lot more Subway.  With that said, games. 

More Like Bore Wars: The Snores Unleashed...  

After listening to Brad talk about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II on the Bombcast a couple weeks ago, I knew I needed to play it.  It's not that I disagreed, as I haven't played it.  It's that I have a fondness for the first game, like many people do, that looks past the blemishes it had and finds something far more appealing.  After plugging TFU2 (which almost sounds like a Valve/Bono charity event) for about four missions, I can now say that I've probably played more of that game than I would care to remember. 

TFU2 sucks.  I wish I could put it lightly or in some nicer words, but I can't.  It's a plain and simple truth, a fact that just has to be stated dry and bluntly:  TFU2 sucks.  The story is almost non-existant, and when it tries to be existant, it's paper-thin and hair-brained AT BEST.  The gameplay itself feels improved as far as controls and general physics go, but the linear level design causes many of those improvements to mean very little in the end.  Part of the fun in the first game was playing around with your Force powers, but this time around feels more like a grind through stormtrooper after stormtrooper just to get to an unsatisfying plot point.  There's also that ridiculous appearance by Yoda, which personally seemed more idiotic than hearing Brad tell us about it.  Oh, and if that wasn't enough, the voice acting is generally T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E here.  How terrible?  I explicitly looked up whether Sam Witwer reprised the role because there were plenty of times when Starkiller is yelling and I told myself "there is no WAY that's the same voice actor, it sounds terrible".  Much to my dismay, it IS Sam Witwer...and I'm just thoroughly baffled by that.

Frankly, TFU2 feels like Devil May Cry 2 to me:  there was a lot of potential here to make a bigger and better game, and what we instead received was an understatement to the potential of its predecessor.  Don't buy the game.  Don't rent it.  Just let it die.  It's sad to say that it's throw-away licensed crap from Lucasarts...but that's just what it is. 

CODBLOPS is Still A Thing  

Yo, shit's good!  The small piece of single player I've gotten into has been satisfying so far.  I'm playing through on Hardened, but since I'm only about four missions in, I'm thinking I'll just jump back and start it up on Veteran and play through.  I want to play more of the campaign, but the goddamn multiplayer is so fucking good.  Well, let me rephrase that.  

The goddamn multiplayer is so fucking good...until you get to the problems of respawning.  This has NEVER...and I repeat...NEVER been a problem for me in any previous Call of Duty game.  Therefore, when I am in every fucking match...yelling out "WHY THE FUCK AM I SPAWNING ON TOP OF THE ENEMIES?", it seriously gets to be a level of frustration that I can barely handle.  Regardless, I've been pulling my usual 2.00+ KDR rounds (even pulled a 13.5 last night after going 27/2), and it's definitely proving to be fun.  Maybe one day I'll play Zombies or something, but for now, I'm just going to continue giggling at penis emblems and talking shit about how bad other people are at the game. 

That's all for this time.  Hopefully, this healthy eating and no smoking stuff doesn't turn me into some yuppy scum.  If I buy American Eagle, someone strangle me. 

Until next time, piece. 

P.S. - Zork is still my homie.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The spawning is really fucking me off right now, it's ridiculous. I'm also not especially excited about the variety in weapon loadouts - every fucker just seemed to pick a suppressed FAMAS with ghost, warlord and ninja. So fucking unimaginative. 

Having said that, i'm rocking the Stakeout right now and, despite your claims about shotguns being terrible in this game, i'm managing to clean up a fair amount of wins. I don't know if it's just because people aren't expecting it or whatever but it's basically instakill mode :D

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187

I've been using a suppressed Galiel, and my usual Perk loadout has been Hardline Pro, Sleight of Hand Pro, and Marathon.  My scores in TDM have looked something like this: 

Killstreaks are SAM turret/mortar/chopper gunner.  It's a killer combo, and once you get that 8-kill streak, it's essentially game over if the other team is too lazy to shoot you down. 

I still contest that the shotguns, while they have good range, are too underpowered.  The SPAS12 is taking four shots to put someone down in many instances that I've had, leading me to completely ignore shotguns unless I wanna dual wield run-n-gun with the last shotguns that are available (can't be bothered to remember the name of them). 

I've seen a lot of FAMAS online, but I can't complain about its usage.  It's a good gun, but with a suppressor, my money goes to the Galiel.  That fucker just destroys people with a suppressor on it.  I wish the selection of SMGs had some more power to it.  There's nothing but the AK74u in that list that makes sense, as they are all relatively underpowered in comparison to where they should be.  Then again, the lineup of SMGs they have available are highly HIGHLY accurate weapons, and giving them a ton of power would definitely make them OP. 

I think that Treyarch has done a fine balancing act for the most part with their game - light years beyond where Modern Warfare 2 is.  It's sad to see the numbers of those online dropping already for Black Ops, as everyone wants to keep with MW2's bullshit slinging nonsense.  Oh well.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I couldn't play through the demo in STFU2 for some reason.  I made it half way through but it didn't feel... right, so I turned it off.

Avatar image for thegeniousplayer
TheGeniousPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheGeniousPlayer
@billnyethesciencepie said:
" All I`ll say about this: Viewtiful Joe. "
Sorry but I just HAD to edit your text, your grammar just bothers me a little.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn
@jakob187:  The Stakeout is the shotgun you want, with steady aim pro, lightweight, and marathon, its basically point and shoot. Ive gotten many a chopper gunner with it, and thats playing aggressive the whole time.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
@Mikemcn: I used the Stakeout for a bit.  It was alright, but again, it didn't feel as powerful as it should be to me.  Matter of preference I think, but my buddy has been trying to do some shotgun running, and he's usually good at that stuff.  He's had little to no success with it so far.  I don't know.  Maybe shotguns just aren't out thing in Black Ops.  I'm okay with that.