VGA vs HDMI vs Component

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZombieJesus

Hey guys, I recently got a small 19" Sony bravia tv for my bedroom. Which type of cable should I buy to get the best quality for an xbox 360. Any help will be appreciated.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Am I mistaken or is a VGA and Component cable the same?  Anyway, go with HDMI. Best picture quality and easiest set-up.  As long as you have a newer 360 model that is.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

just go with component, since I'm guessing that's what came with the console.

Seriously, with a TV that small you shouldn't worry.

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZombieJesus

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let another few people post before I decide

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny

Best is definitely HDMI, that's the only digital video specification you've listed. Digital signals basically either work or they don't, with very few exceptions.

Component and VGA you'll probably get similar picture quality to each other. They're not the same, but they're both analog standards with high bandwidth.

On a 19" TV however, it's unlikely you will be able to tell the difference from more than a couple feet away.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

From what I have read on the internet, there is virtually NO difference between the three. However HDMI should technically give the best picture quality and also gives you audio through 1 simple cable, whereas component is 5 seperate little plugs and vga is the vga plug and the 2 audio plugs from component.

So given that you have the choice, go with HDMI.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#7  Edited By citizenkane

HDMI is the best, hands down.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

HDMI has the best picture possible at the moment.
A VGA cable has a quicker response time (better for some fast paced online gaming). The response time probably won't be visible.
Component cables are useless.
Hope I helped.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

you have a sony tv, so buy a sony ps3. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

HDMI it definitely the best.

VGA has brighter colors than Component but Component has better blacks.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By tomance

Hdmi is the best.  When we bought a Blu-Ray player for my basement to make a long story short to get the sound I wanted I thought I had to use component.  The picture looked weird, almost painted.  It just didn't look crisp.  I don't really notice it with the component on my 360 though but then again I haven't had anything to compare it too.  If there's HDMI there is no reason to not use it.  I'd recommend ordering a cable from monoprice.com.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Warfare
HDMI FTW.
ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZombieJesus

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the HDMI

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By SSbabel

Either HDMI or component, preferably HDMI.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Gizmo

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but I have a Samsung 32" HD-TV, and when using my Xbox 360 with it through the Official MS VGA cables, I got very small black bars on the side which I could not fill or auto-adjust. This isn't my tv as my friend has the same brand/cable and this happened to him too. On FarCry 2 the top and bottom was completely cropped and took off a good 5 inches.

So basically, is HDMI better with these kind of things? I have seen my TV being used in many game-exhibitions, assumingly they were using HDMI for the PS3s...

Will I continue to have these black bars connecting my HD-TV through HDMI?

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By albedos_shadow
Gizmo said:
"Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but I have a Samsung 32" HD-TV, and when using my Xbox 360 with it through the Official MS VGA cables, I got very small black bars on the side which I could not fill or auto-adjust. This isn't my tv as my friend has the same brand/cable and this happened to him too. On FarCry 2 the top and bottom was completely cropped and took off a good 5 inches.

So basically, is HDMI better with these kind of things? I have seen my TV being used in many game-exhibitions, assumingly they were using HDMI for the PS3s...

Will I continue to have these black bars connecting my HD-TV through HDMI?"
I had that problem on my Magnavox 32" for a while. Not sure if it's the same for Samsung, but check if there's a format option or something in the menu, something that lets you switch between 16:9 and normal resolution.That's what worked for me.
Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa
Gizmo said:
"Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but I have a Samsung 32" HD-TV, and when using my Xbox 360 with it through the Official MS VGA cables, I got very small black bars on the side which I could not fill or auto-adjust. This isn't my tv as my friend has the same brand/cable and this happened to him too. On FarCry 2 the top and bottom was completely cropped and took off a good 5 inches.

I also have a Samsung 32" tv with a 360 hooked up with HDMI. I've never had a problem like that. Just get a cheap HDMI cable (one thats $16 is going to give you the same quality as on thats $80) and try it out.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hexpane
Emilio said:
"just go with component, since I'm guessing that's what came with the console.

component cables sadly do NOT come w/ the PS3
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo
Dr_shiggityshwa said:
"Gizmo said:

I also have a Samsung 32" tv with a 360 hooked up with HDMI. I've never had a problem like that. Just get a cheap HDMI cable (one thats $16 is going to give you the same quality as on thats $80) and try it out."
Phew, I was getting the black bars through VGA so hopefully HDMI will work perfectly on the PS3.
Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Psynapse
Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hdfisise
Gizmo said:

is your tv 1080p?

EDIT: I only ask as the VGA cables don;t actually output 1920 x 1080 but instead they output half of it and upscale due to bandwidth problems IIRC. This caused my frinds tv to have a black bar down the side whenever VGA was used but not when using component. Switching to 720p while using vga fixed it though.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hexpane
Hdfisise said:
"Gizmo said:

is your tv 1080p?

EDIT: I only ask as the VGA cables don;t actually output 1920 x 1080 but instead they output half of it and upscale due to bandwidth problems IIRC. This caused my frinds tv to have a black bar down the side whenever VGA was used but not when using component. Switching to 720p while using vga fixed it though.

"
/flagged as correct answer to the problem.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By KamasamaK

Not only is it better, but you should be able to find an HDMI cable for around the same price or cheaper than the VGA.

Hexpane
said:

"Emilio said:
component cables sadly do NOT come w/ the PS3"
He said it's for an Xbox 360. Luckily, the PS3 has the same AV connector as the PS2, so my PS2 component cables held me over until the HDMI came.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane
Kamasama said:
"Not only is it better, but you should be able to find an HDMI cable for around the same price or cheaper than the VGA.

Hexpane
said:
"Emilio said:
component cables sadly do NOT come w/ the PS3"
He said it's for an Xbox 360. Luckily, the PS3 has the same AV connector as the PS2, so my PS2 component cables held me over until the HDMI came."
Oh snap, i just glossed over the post,  missed the XBOX part, saw something about a bravia
tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By tec3297

Meh, I'm fine with my component cables on my Xbox, i'm not like one of those crazy HD enthusiests who have to have the highest resolution possible...