Video games on Late night

nacho25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nacho25

After watching this i now understand why video games aren't and never will reach the level of acceptance that music and movies enjoy. every one in a room can enjoy the movie being watched or the music being played, but video games are very isolated only one to four (sometimes more) people can participate in the fun. leaving every one to watch them have fun. Video games cannot be covered on late night shows like movies, and music, its doesn't work. A video game trailer is not equivalent to a movie trailer, a demo is. And i cant play a demo watching jimmy fallon. 

To me its weird watching video games on Late knight, what about you? 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

@nacho25 said:

"A video game trailer is not equivalent to a movie trailer, a demo is. "

The Mass Effect 2 launch trailer was better then 90% of movie trailers I have ever seen in my entire life. 
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Not only that but neither the audience nor the host seem to respect them much. The audience doesn't know how to react and the host bumps premiers for Justin Bieber.

I don't think a late night style talk show would be awful for introducing and demoing these games, but the current setup does not work well. And I like when they demo something on stage during E3 then release the demo the next day for us to play. That type of synchronization would help with talk show demos.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@CL60 said:
"
@nacho25 said:

The Mass Effect 2 launch trailer was better then 90% of movie trailers I have ever seen in my entire life.  "
Regardless of your opinion regarding quality, nacho25 is actually correct. Games are interactive; a true game trailer would be akin to a demo, and it would have to be playable - just as nacho25 says. I haven't seen the Mass Effect 2 trailer which you mention, but take for example every single Metal Gear E3 trailer after Metal Gear Solid. They are overwhelming concerned with story. I don't know if Kojima has noticed, but, you know, most of MGS2 and MGS3 was taken up by gameplay. (MGS4 was all cutscenes; there was about five hours of gameplay there, so in that respect the MGS4 trailers were accurate.)
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox
@CL60 said:

"
@nacho25 said:

The Mass Effect 2 launch trailer was better then 90% of movie trailers I have ever seen in my entire life.  "
So was that The Old Republic cinematic trailer. But the game won't look or play anything like that.

They need to play stage demos like On The Spot and stuff. Videos alone, especially trailers, cannot give you an idea of what the game is actually like.
bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bibledoctor

I dislike Late Night TV in general, but bringing attention to video games can't hurt. Showing people gameplay and trailers may cause an individual to at least try playing a game, and thats what its all about. Trying to share the hobby we all love with others who may not really understand what it is.

nacho25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nacho25
@BibleDoctor:  actually  i think video games on late night hurts the hobby because, its comes of as occurred and unappealing and people. any attention towards video games on late would be negative attention. the thing with video games is that the barrier to entry is so high unlike movies and music you make a mistake with your pitch ( glitches bugs lag) on tv people start to wonder and is this wroth $60. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

game trailers is on late at night. i find it cool to watch video games and people talking about video games. 

it is pretty fun to play during the night. the only time i had fun with a lot of people was playing halo 2. 8 people could play at a time because really it is the only game that lets people us guest accounts. it is something i think more games should have.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" @CL60 said:

"
@nacho25 said:

Regardless of your opinion regarding quality, nacho25 is actually correct. Games are interactive; a true game trailer would be akin to a demo, and it would have to be playable - just as nacho25 says. I haven't seen the Mass Effect 2 trailer which you mention, but take for example every single Metal Gear E3 trailer after Metal Gear Solid. They are overwhelming concerned with story. I don't know if Kojima has noticed, but, you know, most of MGS2 and MGS3 was taken up by gameplay. (MGS4 was all cutscenes; there was about five hours of gameplay there, so in that respect the MGS4 trailers were accurate.) "

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
@nacho25: WTF are you talking about??!?!?! Videogame trailers arent equal to movie trailer?! say that to the dozens of amazing trailers that get released all year long for game that this site and many others like it go apeshit over. now...playing the games on a late night show is fucking stupid. 
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

I too find it strange when games are demonstrated or when trailers are shown on Late Night. I mean, sure, us gamers will find it interesting and cool that games are being put in the spotlight, but I can't help but think that everyone else in the audience doesn't give a damn or just doesn't get it. Jimmy might act genuinely enthused, but the audience is only clapping because the sign tells them to. And that's probably my problem with it, it's forced enthusiasm. If you're in an audience filled with game journalists and gaming crowd, you'd feel comfortable getting excited and riled up about game announcements. Late Night is not the same kind of gaming environment as E3.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Ace829
@CL60:  What was the music used for that trailer? I must know because it fit perfectly with the trailer.
GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GrandpaJelly

It feels really awkward when games are on Late Night shows, it takes too much time to get to show people what the game is all about. 
I've only been seeing Jimmy showing games though :/

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I wouldn't know, I sleep during "late night". 

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By spankingaddict

video games kick music and movies buttssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By btman

I don't really get how this matters.  I don't think it can hurt or help the industry.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By bacongames

The only reason video games don't get benefit from Late Night exposure is that the audience that happens to watch that stuff doesn't care about video games.  Unfortunately it's a side-effect of the generation gap but that's all that is going on here.  I don't know what you're on about trailers and demos because PLENTY of people enjoy watching games being played and even a trailer would work.  However the audience who sees that has nothing to gain so we still have to process information within the industry where it matters.

@btman said:

" I don't really get how this matters.  I don't think it can hurt or help the industry. "
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phished0ne

You people are all strange.  With all of the bad press about videogames, we need a Representative with broader reach than G4(if that channel is still even about video games..i dont know anymore). Fallon is perfect for this, he is honestly enthused about the products, and is indeed a gamer, or at least someone who has interest in it.  You people are insane if you think the people that watch Fallon dont care about video games. Fallon has the same market as Conan did, Drunken/stoned college kids who are up late trying to combat the next mornings hangover by chugging more Stoli. Thats the market for video games, like it or not, and Fallon is hitting right on target.  I would probably say the opposite is the issue, the people who are watching Fallon are more likely bigger gamers than he,  who already know more than what he is talking about.

I think its nice to see people like Reggie and Kudo on Fallon, these are interesting people, more interesting than the droll celebrity interview shlock thats usualy on late night shows. It may not be as exciting as seeing the new trailer for Spider Man 5: The Birth of Spider-Boy  but it is indeed a step forward for the industry, getting pretty good coverage fairly often. Even if it is on a late show.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Red

Both trailers and demos can be pretty deceptive for a game. Demos can take the only good section of a game, while trailers can take sections from all over the game. I think that Mass Effect 2 Trailer was hella more representative of the final product than the Mirror's Edge demo was. 
On topic, I think that having games developers and talking heads on Late Night shows is wonderful. While I doubt games will ever quite get the respect and attention from mainstream audiences--or people who watch Letterman (but those people are crazy)--as movies, this is still a good step they should take.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
@Ace829 said:
" @CL60:  What was the music used for that trailer? I must know because it fit perfectly with the trailer. "
I'm not sure. I would like to know as well though.