• 68 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

So it appears that in the wake of the "terrorist" attack (imo, a lunatic, not terror, but i guess you can call it that) in Norway and on the small island Utøya, "violent" games such as World of Warcraft and MW2 have been taken off shelves, so that they are no longer available.

Is it just me, or is the dumbest thing that has happened in a while? (disregarding the stuff that happened on that island, bless those poor souls)

Just because a madman played those games, should not mean they are to be either blamed, or banned. It's just silly logic and in all fairness, retarded. You dont ban hammers, if some guy murdered a whole lot of people with it. It does not make any sense. I know they want to sympathise with all those poor families and people related to the shooting, but it has nothing to do with the incident, leading up to it or directly related to it, and it's unessacery.

Here is the article explaning it, its in Danish so i put it through google translate. I will properly translate it myself later, i just want to get some sleep before EVO.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article1593740.eceSource

Translated (ROUGH)

Violent video games have been removed from store shelves after it emerged that mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik played the computer game 'World of Warcraft. "

Because of the bloody events in Oslo and in the government district on the island Utøya where altogether 76 people lost their lives, the violent games have now been withdrawn.

- It's something that we do temporarily for the sake of those affected, says Director of Coop Norge to rogalandsavis.no

Read also: Shooter could prepare him for mass murder

no correlation

But it is not everyone believes that it is necessary to eliminate the violent killing games.

- We can not see any relationship between the tragic has happened, and we sell games. We have never seen any studies on that any game alone has led to such incidents, says marketing manager at Space World to NTB.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

......wat?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VWGTI

Ah, a classic "one person ruins it for everyone" situation. This is clearly the only logical way to stop violence in that country.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By LUMIN4RY

We all knew it was going to happen. Games get the bad press because they need someone to blame other than the psychopath. It's a joke and it's getting very tiresome. People are responsible for their actions, not video games, not music but themselves.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By crusader8463

I hate stupid people. Best of luck to the Norwegian gamers that have to put up with stupid stuff like that.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but it's still a pointless and narrow-sighted response. Kinda disappointed that the government fell for the media hype.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust

Well, World of Warcraft is a "murder simulator", you know.  The engineering profession teaches you how to make exploding sheep.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I understand that logic perfectly. After all, I remember hearing about this terrible murder case a few years back. After careful research, police discovered that the murderer spent a lot of his free time breathing. I know, right? So it was decided that oxygen would be banned, and just like that, no more murders ever again.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By NickBOTT

When are people going to stop blaming video games, music, movies and TV?  When are we going to say hey this guy was fucking crazy end of story.  People are always looking to put the blame on something other than the fucked up individual.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By onarum

Hah, you gotta admire the length that ignorance will go with some people, I mean it's not like what that retard did had political and racial prejudice motives, off course it's all because he played some games..... clearly.....*sigh*..................

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By galiant

@Video_Game_King said:

I understand that logic perfectly. After all, I remember hearing about this terrible murder case a few years back. After careful research, police discovered that the murderer spent a lot of his free time breathing. I know, right? So it was decided that oxygen would be banned, and just like that, no more murders ever again.

That's exactly how crazy this is. Exactly.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VIGGO123

It's not removed permanently, just on a for a week or so, to make a statement and respect those who lost their lives in the attack. Also, this is not nationwide, just a few retailers.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grissefar

That's a wierd thing to do temporarily out of respect for the families.

-Hey you, sad mom, we took down Ratchet & Clank from the shelves. Are you happy now?

-I don't know. Will it bring my dead son back to life?

-I don't think so.

-Then no, you asshole. Go away.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Samaritan

Humans' incredible shortsightedness after the events of tragedy will never cease to amaze me. Can't say it's not to be expected, but still. Decisions like these are 100% emotion.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

You like putting words in quotation marks. I like your distinction between terrorist and lunatic. Cus terrorists aren't lunatics? You might be "retarded" bro. 
Its a bummer they're banning violent games, Christianity, and Knight's Templar history though. And it was irresponsible of Spock in Star Trek 2 to say something this guy later quoted on page 5 of his compendium so Leonard Nimoy is rightfully banned as well.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fajita_Jim

He breathed oxygen, too. Better get rid of that, since it most definitely enabled him.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By galiant

@VIGGO123 said:

It's not removed permanently, just on a for a week or so, to make a statement and respect those who lost their lives in the attack. Also, this is not nationwide, just a few retailers.

That's not so bad then.

I still feel like it's a weird connection to make. The movies he watched and the books he read, why are those not banned?

Nope, it has to be video games.

@Grissefar said:

That's a wierd thing to do temporarily out of respect for the families.

-Hey you, sad mom, we took down Ratchet & Clank from the shelves. Are you happy now?

-I don't know. Will it bring my dead son back to life?

-I don't think so.

-Then no, you asshole. Go away.

And yeah, pretty much this.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Didn't he buy a shit load of of fertilizer (excuse the pun) that can actually be used to kill people in the real world? Perhaps they should ban it also...just to be safe. *sigh*

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho
@Twisted_Scot said:
Didn't he buy a shit load of of fertilizer (excuse the pun) that can actually be used to kill people in the real world? Perhaps they should ban it also...just to be safe. *sigh*
I know you're trying to be satirical or something, but banning substances that can easily be turned into explosives isn't the worst idea in the world. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Pretty typical knee-jeek reaction to something like this. Human nature to try and find something to blame I supose.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@Jimbo said:
Pretty typical knee-jeek reaction to something like this. Human nature to try and find something to blame I supose.
I think a lot of people are embarrassed that an attack happened that they instinctively blamed on Muslim extremists turned out to be done by someone with an irrationally large fear of Muslims. If my choice is to talk about how a terrorist is actually ideologically synced with my own irrational Muslim fears or talking about videogames, I go videogames. Or I do like Fox News and try and convince people the guy who wrote a 1500 page book called Knights Templar 2083 isn't even Christian.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jimbo said:
Actually, there's a good chance that it's the exact opposite: people have wanted to ban these games for a while, and they've found the perfect excuse.
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FritzDude

I feel for the people affected by this shocking event Friday the 22nd of July, and for my country, but there are other ways to show respect, and limiting your consumers is not one of them. I feel that games are so vulnerable when events like this happens. But what can you do... At least it's only temporary.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By scarace360

i feel for the people who wanted to buy those games and now have to wait.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@ryanwho: Yeah but the amount farmers among other industries would lose if you ban things like fertilizer is insane. Its just not possible to ban these substances that's why all they can really do is restrict their sale (im also pretty sure I read that the guy that sold it to him did contact the police about it). All my point was is why ban games when there is nothing to show that they effect people like that at all and there will always be some sadistic evil little shit that will just find something else. If he went out and stabbed 10 people do we ban knifes and all use plastic sporks? My point was just that banned or suspending things like video games or movies after something like this is pointless and only hurts the average consumer, after all it doesn't help the victims, their families or matter to the animal that murdered them. I want the authorities to post his Windows Live / XBL / PSN / WoW account details, let use see how much gaming this guy does on average...oh none? I'm just sick of all these empty symbols of respect.
m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By m0rdr3d
@VIGGO123 said:

They may claim it's a move in honor of the victims, but restricting games is at least a partial passing of the blame from the twisted eff responsible and it's a needless restriction of liberties. Those things are a shameful dishonor to the victims if anything.  Clearly, Norway, like the rest of the world, is not lacking in shitty politicians.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DystopiaX

Yeah kind of dumb IMO. So many people, especially males within his age range, play games that you pick a random person out there they probably play games. It would kind of be like shutting down all fast foods for a week just cause a terrorist/lunatic ate at mcdonalds before he committed the shooting.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nevermind the fact that he had a license for three separate fire arms. IT WAS DEM EVIL VIDYA GAMES.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By time allen

first a bombing and now this?! 

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeJerk

You know who else played violent video games?

That's right.

Adolf Hitler.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By m0rdr3d
@ryanwho said:
@Twisted_Scot said:
I know you're trying to be satirical or something, but banning substances that can easily be turned into explosives isn't the worst idea in the world. 

I understand the logic, but banning fertilizer?   Banning anything quickly gets out of hand when it's the behavior that's the issue.
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@SomeJerk said:

You know who else played violent video games?

That's right.

Adolf Hitler.

Yeah but he got what was coming to him in Wolfenstein 3D.
RwGxPsYcHo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RwGxPsYcHo

Yes, World of Warcraft. The terrible game where yesterday I was forced to complete a horrible series of quests in which I saved innocent creatures from a fire, led a group of fawn back to their mothers, and then saved a group of bear cubs.  I feel so terrible about my crimes!

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By m0rdr3d
@ryanwho said:
@Jimbo said:
I think a lot of people are embarrassed that an attack happened that they instinctively blamed on Muslim extremists turned out to be done by someone with an irrationally large fear of Muslims. If my choice is to talk about how a terrorist is actually ideologically synced with my own irrational Muslim fears or talking about videogames, I go videogames. Or I do like Fox News and try and convince people the guy who wrote a 1500 page book called Knights Templar 2083 isn't even Christian.  

Even apart from his actions, if you've read a chunk of the guy's manifesto it's not hard to see that the guy isn't Christian at all.  He's obsessed with European government, politics, and culture.  Christianity being the dominant brand of population control in European history put it in this guy's vocabulary. It has little or nothing to do with Christ.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
@m0rdr3d said:
@ryanwho said:
@Twisted_Scot said:
I understand the logic, but banning fertilizer?   Banning anything quickly gets out of hand when it's the behavior that's the issue.
The fertilizer he used had chemicals in it, it wasn't just cow's ass in a bag. I'd say banning more volatile chemicals used in fertilizer that could make a potent bomb is a reasonable thing to consider. I'm not saying ban dirt. But yeah, when a guy writes a book that includes instructions on his homemade fert bomb, then uses his fert bomb, maybe keep that from becoming an issue in the future. Reaction is knee jerk, and so is momentum. If his "movement" has any momentum, temporarily banning certain substances could be helpful.
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vexxan

Always blaming the video games...geez.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Snipzor

Temporary reaction, I doubt this would be in effect for too long, but after such an insane unthinkable thing happened, I'm not shocked that something would be done to find comfort. I can't really blame them.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zels
@Snipzor: How does that comfort anyone, anywhere? It's completely bonkers (if true).
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Claude

Wasn't a large part of his manifesto about Christianity? Only a small portion was about video games. Very curious, but I saw what my country did after the 9/11 attacks, so it doesn't surprise me when freedoms are taken away.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeffsekai

What? I thought Norway's president said they weren't going to do anything other than more democracy?

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DougQuaid

Are they temporarily removing dead-beat dads from Norway too?

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fontainefellow

Say what? He played World of Wowcraft? BAN THAT SHIT YO!!! 

It least it's just for a week or whatever.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax

That's some pretty weird logic. If he drowned someone, would they get rid of water? Strange.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Claude

@MrKadaver said:

- It's something that we do temporarily for the sake of those affected, says Director of Coop Norge to rogalandsavis.no

It's NOT banned, it's NOT the goverment, just two different kind of stores in the entire country.

Two stores does not a country make. Thanks for clearing this up.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gike987
@Jeffsekai said:

What? I thought Norway's president said they weren't going to do anything other than more democracy?

The government has done nothing. It's just some chain stores deciding to not sell those games and any weaponlike products (probably things like water guns) for an indefinite amount of time. http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslobomben/artikkel.php?artid=10081059
fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By fogh

Hey, he was also listening to the soundtrack from The Lord of the Rings, while shooting people. He said it made it easier. I guess I'm going to have to burn all my CD's and Vinyl's, 'cos they were making me a terrorist all along.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By Castiel

I feel sorry for Norway. First of all because of that terrible tragic terrorist attack and second because some stupid psychotic dipshit now ruins something completely unrelated to the killings, yeah maybe he played a game or two but that sure as hell didn't inspire him to do the killings in themselves, something clearly went wrong long before he reached that point.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sanity

Banning wow is the dumbest thing i ever heard anyways, im fairly sure they can still buy it digitally and its less graphic then a Tom & Jerry cartoon.