What are you an absolute sucker for? (in video games)

• 53 results
MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is going to sound weird but I like games that let you explore abandoned places and scrounge around for potentially valuable items to use or sell or use for crafting materials. It could be a sci fi setting or a medieval dungeon. Doesn't matter if you are a human survivor stuffing junk you found in a burned out gas station into your backpack or a drone operator navigating a collector robots in a derelict spaceship. Anything that provides new places to explore with plenty or nooks and crannies to delve through and items to find.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Pooch516
  • Games that contextualize the weird video-game stuff to make it fit in the universe. If a game can give me a halfway decent reason why I want to collect a bunch of collectables (Assassin Creed 2's feathers were more interesting than the flags) or why I'm able to die and come back to the same room with my previous knowledge over and over again (Prince of Persia's time rewind in place of extra lives) I'm more likely to feel immersed and keep playing as opposed to feel like I'm just trying to make the numbers go up.
  • Groundhog Day scenarios- kind of ties into my above point, but any game that makes me restart a loop and get a little further instantly gets my attention. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game, so I'm always on the lookout for a game that does this well. I still need to play Sexy Brutale, but Outer Worlds has this mechanic and it's great. (And I just found this list! https://www.giantbomb.com/groundhog-day-scenario/3015-3480/games/)
  • EDIT: I just remembered another- good hub worlds/areas! Especially ones that build up over time. It's a shame, most games are mvonig towards just adding levels to a list, but returning to the same castle or fortress or spaceship over and over and seeing it slowly change while you make progress through the game is awesome. I love when devs get creative and add little trophies from the actual levels in, even if they are just there for decoration.
sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Stuff I can finish in under 10 hours