What Are Your Favorite Japanese Shows (Game Related Or Not)

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tempa777

I just can recommend "Gamecenter CX" to anyone here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq__dFNIFLs

Also if you are into Comedy: "Gaki No tsukai" you should definitely check out. Especially their 24 hour New Year Batsu games.

The premise is that the Staff tries to make them laugh for 24 hours. Should they laugh they get punished in various ways.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Gaki no Tsukai is pretty good stuff. As far as current stuff, the kids like Tousou Chuu, which is just kinda like a celebrity hide-and-seek type of show. There's a dodgeball variant of the show which is pretty fun to watch as well.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By styx971

its been a while since i watched any jp stuff but when i usually watch shows from other countries its usually romance dramas , mydramalist has been pretty good for finding a bunch of (asian) different shows but thats how i lean. non drama related i've only watched clips of a couple comedian guys i can't recall the name of ( but they were great) when they would interview gackt from time to time.

anyway here is my list if your interested tho i suspect this wasn't exactly the angle you were asking

https://mydramalist.com/profile/styx971

edit: looking above i've now discovered that Gaki no Tsukai (downtown) mentioned IS what i used to watch so thank you for this info ^^

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well I do like my Japanese animations

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I just figured that went without saying :P

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

If you like shows that are all about teen angst and hot blooded fights Crow Zero and Majisuka Gakuen are IMO the high water marks. If you happen to like the serious portions of Yakuza Games that deal with comraderie, honor and dudes smoking cigarettes while gazing into the distance, Crow Zero has that in spades. That and some decent fights between school factions that involve people that really don't look like they have any business being in a high school. I believe the first two are directed by Takashi Miike.

If you like the essentially the same thing but set in an all girls school with clicks and clubs that operate more like gangs factions, Majisuka Gakuen can't be beat. The fight scenes aren't as good as Crow Zero but they are still imbued with the same themes of finding an identity and place through combat.

When the entire Wind Instrument Club shows up, shits about go down.
When the entire Wind Instrument Club shows up, shits about go down.
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By isomeri

Midnight Diner was one of my favorite show discoveries of the last 5 years. I can always respect the classics like Iron Chef or Evangelion too.

Loading Video...
wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wardcleaver

Gochininarimasu was my favorite show when I lived in Japan.

The premise of the show is that 5-6 celebrities go to a 5 star restaurant and order from the menu. The catch is that the menu does include pricing and each person has to guess the price of each entrée they ordered. At the end, the person furthest away from the actual total has to pay the total bill for all 5-6 participants.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Does MXC count? Because that.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardcleaver: That show is pretty good and has been going on for a long time.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Not sure if you are still into that show but apparently they just stream the whole thing on twitch 24 hours a day.