What are your favourite genres? And games in those genres?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

What are your favourite genres in video games? And games what do you love in those genres?

Mine is action: action adventure and psychological action thriller. Action with a twist.

Games I love in those genres are:

• Uncharted 1, 2 and 3;
  • Alan Wake;
  • Alan Wake: American Nightmare;
  • The Last of Us.

What are yours?

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By theacidskull

Hack'n'Slash

• God of War chains Of Olympus
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow
  • Devil May Cry (DMC)
  • Darksiders II

Action Adventure:

• Crash Bandicoot (the first three games)
  • Shattered Demensions
  • Crash Twinsanity

2D fighting Games

• Tekken 3 and 4
  • Motral Kombat 2011

I do like Horror games but I found that I haven't picked up many from that Genre. I'm about to though.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I love open world games. I've played every single GTA release, and have 100% completed everyone since III except for GTA Advance. I'd say the standouts are Sleeping Dogs, Vice City, Burnout Paradise and Deadly Premonition.

I also like racing games and JRPGs with NFS High Stakes, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Persona 4, FFXII and Valkyria Chronicles. With that said, I'd bet an open world racing JRPG would be terrible.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Panelhopper

For me its story driven adventures ( my favourite in that genre being Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2) and action RPGs (my faves being Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

RPG - Bioware games, Persona games

Music - Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 2

Action - God of War 2 and 3, Dantes Inferno

Turn Based Strategy - Civ 5

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fighting, RPG (usually J but I like a variety)

Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear XX, King of Fighters (13 right now), Tekken 3 and Tag, Soul Calibur 2 (GC version, of course)

Zelda: Majora's Mask, FF6, Xenoblade, Mario&Luigi trilogi, Knights in the Knightmare, The world Ends With You, SMT: Devil Survivor

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bluefish

Action Games/Action Shooters/Rpg's

It's getting all so darn muddled these days...

Uncharted 2, Halo C.E, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, Deus Ex H.R, Alan Wake, The Darkness, Vanquish, Gears of War etc.

Usually a big emphasis on great world building around a guided (but not corridor) story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Open world

GTA

Saints Row

Sleeping Dogs

Farcry series

Fighting

Mortal Kombat

FPS

F.E.A.R.

Battlefield series mostly just BF2

MOHAA

CS:S

Crysis 1

Third person shooters

Max Payne series

Alan Wake

Splinter Cell series

Tomb Raider 2013

RE4

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Westwood style RTSes:

Command & Conquer

C&C: Tiberian Sun

Dark Reign

Krush Kill 'n Destroy

Total Annihilation

Party based first person dungeon crawlers:

Wizardry 7

Wizardry 8

Might & Magic: World of Xeen

Legend of Grimrock

Persona 1

Perihelion: The Prophecy

Arcade Air Combat:

Ace Combat 4

Strike Commander

LHX Attack Chopper

F29 Retaliator

Comanche Maximum Overkill

Terminal Velocity

Warhawk

Space Combat:

Wing Commander

Wing Commander Prophecy

Descent Freespace

Frontier: Elite II

Six Degrees of Freedom

Descent

Descent II

Aquanox

Forsaken

FPS:

Wolfenstein 3-D

Blake Stone

DoomHexenRed Faction 1

Rise of the Triad 2013

Unreal Tournament '99

System Shock

Gloom

Sin

Zero Tolerance

Turn based strategy:

Alpha Centauri

Civilization Call to Power II

Age of Wonders

Battle Isle

M.A.X: Mechanized Assault & Exploration

This list is getting kinda long, I'll just stop.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By jadegl

RPG - Mass Effect, Fallout 3

FPS - Halo 3: ODST, Borderlands 2, Quake III Arena (I have so many faves it's hard to choose...)

Platformer - Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario World

I'm all over the place, I know. My favorite genre overall is probably FPS, but it's close with RPG, especially sci-fi themed as I listed above.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a massive weak spot for Metroidvanias. To the point where I've played just about every one I can get my hands on, including some that are quite less than stellar. Highlights of the genre include:

• Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Fusion. The original and 2 are a bit dated. The Prime series is also great. Other: M can fuck right off.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and just about every Castlevania for both the GBA and DS, though the later games on the DS started to abandon some of the Metroidvania trappings.
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap and Monster World III (Wonder Boy sequel naming conventions are pretty screwed up.) These two are absolute classics that deserve more attention. Westone - who developed these games - apparently went bankrupt and is in liquidation as of October 2014; however, Sega owns the rights to the Wonder Boy IP already, and recently bought Atlus... That's probably not going to happen, but I can dream.
  • Cave Story and Treasure Adventure Game (had to look that title up, despite the incredibly generic name, it's a great game) are two indie offerings that are totally worth playing through. The latter is free.
  • La Mulana I really, really want to like, but it's just too obtuse for it's own good. I absolutely defy anyone to beat this game without a guide. I gave up after five hours of getting absolutely nowhere and watched a longplay and still don't understand in the slightest how to actually finish the game.

It's a shame the genre has been basically abandoned to indie studios these days. Even Nintendo and Konami don't seem interested in making this style of game anymore. Meanwhile Ubisoft cranks out another bloody Assassin's Creed.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sinusoidal: I totally agree with you on La-Mulana. I've put about 10 hours into it (using a guide/map) and it still was incredibly dense and hard to get into. Going back to it now feels almost hopeless since I've forgotten all the details of what I've already accomplished.

I also have a very soft spot for these types of games. I recently finished Aquaria which was great.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Hack 'n Slash

1. Ninja Gaiden Black
  2. Devil May Cry 3
  3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  4. DmC
  5. Devil May Cry 4

RPG

1. Dark Souls II
  2. Mass Effect 3
  3. Dark Souls
  4. Mass Effect 2
  5. Final Fantasy X
  6. Borderlands 2

Survival

1. Don't Starve
  2. The Last of Us
  3. State of Decay

In order. This is too hard to answer completely though. I really like open world games for instance, but what am I going to say? Fallout 3? That's more of an RPG. Too many genre's cross paths. Where does Darksiders II fit? It sure isn't a hack 'n slash game since 50% of your time is spend doing something other than that. It has a loot system and RNG for drops while you level up. Is it an RPG? Not really... Can I name Destiny under RPG's? Because shooters definitely are not one of my favorite genre's. The only ones I've liked in recent memory are Halo 4, Destiny and FarCry 3.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I love open world games. I've played every single GTA release, and have 100% completed everyone since III except for GTA Advance. I'd say the standouts are Sleeping Dogs, Vice City, Burnout Paradise and Deadly Premonition.

I also like racing games and JRPGs with NFS High Stakes, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Persona 4, FFXII and Valkyria Chronicles. With that said, I'd bet an open world racing JRPG would be terrible.

That FFXV trailer had a car in it and I'm kinda hoping there will be open world racing in it. Not because it will be good, just because I can't remember having anything of the sort since racing a post apocalyptic robot in Chrono Trigger.

My favorite genres? I don't know. I kinda just play whatever comes my way. I can give you a list of games that I really love - Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Doom 1, 2, and 3, pretty much all of the first person Halo games, Half-Life and its sequels, FEAR, Metroid Prime, A Link Between Worlds, Just Cause 2, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Persona 4, TESV Skyrim, Minecraft and Counter Strike.

Basically, single player adventures through mostly soft sci-fi worlds and Counter Strike. CS actually stands out to me because it's the only multiplayer shooter I've ever played where death doesn't feel like a minor annoyance. I never felt pressured to get better at CoD4 or Titanfall because in those games, you die and you're back and even if you lose the match, you're going to get rewarded with progress towards your next unlock. Those games are just one big grind, which can be fun but it can never be as rewarding as both surviving a round of CS and getting a few kills or achieving the objective. I've also enjoyed the multiplayer of Halo and Quake Live quite a bit, both of which I tried to play better because the only reward you can get is placing on top of the scoreboard. Halo 4 has progression now, which I'm not a fan of but I still enjoy playing it.

Wow, that was a random paragraph for someone who likes almost solely single player games.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sinusoidal: There are a decent amount of Metroidvania games coming out. Guacamelee and the new Strider came out not too long ago. And Axiom Verge is said to be coming out somewhat soon. Obviously there are much more FPS's and MOBA's but what can you do.

Favourite Genres:

RPG

1. Morrowind
  2. Knights of the Old Republic
  3. The Witcher
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Fallout 3

Hack 'n Slash

1. Ninja Gaiden Black
  2. Devil May Cry 3
  3. Bayonetta 2
  4. Metal Gear Rising
  5. Bayonetta

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FPS/RPG hybrid. My favourites are the original Deus Ex and STALKER:SoC.

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D platformers, favourite games in the genre are the Sly, Ratchet games, Jak, Tearaway. Haven't played Psychonauts yet but I have it on Steam.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

JRPG: Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile 2, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden V, Xenosaga 1-3, list continues.

Souls RPG: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Lords of the Fallen, Presumably Bloodborne (While Dark Souls II is the best I enjoyed my time with every one of these games quite a bit)

RTS: Starcraft: Brood War, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Strategy: Heroes of Might and Magic V, Europa Universalis IV, Heroes II, King's Bounty: The Legend, original King's Bounty

I play the other major genres and enjoy them but I wouldn't say the genres themselves appeal to me; just shooters are so ubiquitous you might as well play them. Witcher 2 and Black Flag will have to go uncategorized. Super Metroid is either the best or 2nd best game ever but I don't really like the genre (That is to say: Platformers not Metroidvania) in general aside from the ridiculously good games. Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4/The Last of Us follow similar routes.

I've played almost every character action game and beaten them on the hardest difficulty but I still can't deny that those games have very obvious flaws that more or less cripple the genre from moving forward, even in near perfect incarnations such as Bayonetta. Diablo clones also have this problem.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poop

• Binding of Isaac
bomber_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hack'n'Slash

• God of War chains Of Olympus
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow
  • Devil May Cry (DMC)
  • Darksiders II

Action Adventure:

• Crash Bandicoot (the first three games)
  • Shattered Demensions
  • Crash Twinsanity

2D fighting Games

• Tekken 3 and 4
  • Motral Kombat 2011

I do like Horror games but I found that I haven't picked up many from that Genre. I'm about to though.

Nice list friend!!!!!!! All perfect!!!!!! :)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As I tried to compose a list of genre's I liked it quickly became a list of video game genres. I like pretty much everything. The only things I might dismiss simply because of their genre are Rhythm Games, Sports Games, and pure multiplayer stuff like MOBAs. If I had to pick the genres I care about the absolute most though it would look something like this:

RPG: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Persona, Dragon Age.

Turn Based Strategy: Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics. (I need to play more games in this genre but they're super long).

Third Person Shooters: Uncharted, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Music -The Beatles: Rock Band

Shooty gun games - CoD 4 Modern Warfare

Anime - MGS3 Snake Eater

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By penguindust
  • Western RPG - Skyrim, KOTOR, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 1
  • JRPG - Dragon Quest V, Persona 3, Dark Cloud 2
  • Single-player FPS - Halo Reach, Borderlands, Bioshock Infinite, System Shock 2
  • Action-Adventure - Uncharted 1, Batman Arkham Asylum, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us
  • Action RPG - Diablo 3, Titan Quest, Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Action-Open World - Saints Row 3, Crackdown
  • Twin-stick Shooter - Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, Everyday Shooter, SmashTV

I used to play a lot strategy games, too (turn based and real-time), but don't have the time for investment anymore