What do you think of the GDC Awards GOTY choices?

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorOptimist

In case you don't know what it is or what it stands for, GDC stands for" "Game Developers Choice" which is an award ceremony where develoeprs gather and vote for the nominees of each award category. Here are the GOTY winners of the GDC Awards for each year choices and tell me what do you think of them.   

• 2000: The Sims
  • 2001: Grand Theft Auto III
  • 2002: Metroid Prime
  • 2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • 2004: Half-Life 2
  • 2005: Shadow of the Colossus
  • 2006: Gears of War
  • 2007: Portal
  • 2008: Fallout 3
  • 2009: Uncharted 2  
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Malakhii

Honestly those are really good choices, the only one of them I didn't personally love is Metroid Prime and I know I'm in the minority on that.  Shows the developers have good taste in their games. 

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Linkin10362

I agree with most of them, not really sure about the Sims...

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Malakhii: I actually disagree with 2001 and 2008. Don't get me wrong, GTA III was a great game for it's time and a very revolutionary game that influenced many games. However, it hasn't aged well AT ALL. I say Silent Hill 2 should have won, but that wasn't nominated, so I choose Halo over GTA III. Fallout 3 on the other hand, is really not a worthy sequel to two of the best role-playing games ever created. I also would choose Dragon Age Origins or Demons Souls over Uncharted 2 any day. 
DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DaemonBlack

Personally I think Portal is pretty heinous. The rest were actually longer than 3 hours.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Linkin10362: Deus Ex or Shenmue should have won over The Sims if you ask me.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Semition

Looks about right. Not exactly what my personal list would be but I can definitely see their reasoning behind the choices.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Malakhii
@DoctorOptimist: Dude you can't use GTA III hasn't aged well as an argument, you have to put yourself in the time. You said it yourself it was a great game for its time. It basically created the open world genre, and as developers are looking with an eye tuned for game design, they would especially appreciate how fucking mind blowing that was. 
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Malakhii: The thing is, the open world aspect practically overshadowed the bad parts of the game, most of the missions were horrible and the gunplay is abysmal. I guess developers back then didn't see how GTA III would influence many games of today and how it could expand it's ideas. It's not a bad choice, but still, it's not a game that I would call a classic because it's not a fun game to play today. Unless you just want to pick up hookers, fornicate them in the forest, then run them over and get your money back all the time.
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Faint

why does everyone hate on fallout 3 so much? i get that is not made by the same developer as the originals, nor have i played the originals, but its a fun game.

i agree with all of the picks and i find them hard to argue over.

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By masterherocard

Not sure about 2006, but that's probably because I have an unrational, intense hatred of gears of war and thus don't like it getting the honor, yet I don't know what else came out in 2006.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Faint: Play the original two Fallout games, and you'll know what I and many old-school Fallout fan mean. That's not to say Fallout 3 is a bad game, it's far from it, it's in fact a very good game. It shouldn't be called Fallout however, since it's not Fallout in terms of game design or spirit. Only similarity being the presentation and Vault Boy.
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Malakhii
@DoctorOptimist: I agree it hasn't aged well, mainly because the design of open world games has improved so vastly over time. GTA III is a classic though, because of how different it was then everything else being released. I would say it is easily one of the most important games of the past 10 years. Deus Ex does own The SIms, but The Sims has alot of fans. 

@Faint: Fallout 3 fucking rocks, It is a really fun game. I've only dabbled in the first two, I should fix that.  
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

Opinions man! Everyone has one, as the developers at GDC have one also. :p 

I agree with you on 2001 and 2002. Disagree with you on 2003. Agree on 2004 , 2005 and 2006. Don't remember the games released on 2007. Disagree on 2008 with you, because despite agreeing with you, F3 gave a new and much more immersive perspective on the wasteland, and was much more approachable than the elder titles, for that it deserved the nomination. On 2009 i disagree with you on Dragon Age as i hated it, and my choice would be Batman: Arkham Asylum.  

What are your thoughts on the 2010 award winner?

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Jeust: b-b-b-b-b-but mass effect 2 should've won!!!! :(
Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bouke
@DoctorOptimist:
Mass Effect 2  was released in 2010...  and this year is goning to be though! Look at all the quality games already out and the ones still coming out! Its going to be a long GB GOTY deliberations podcast this year!

I can totally agree with all of these choices although i would pick Arkham Asylum over Uncharted 2.
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't think The SIms has a place on any game of the year list but that's just me.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Bigandtasty

Overall, pretty good. I'd easily pick Deus Ex over The Sims and the rest are fine. But I don't put much stock in anyone's awards.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Deus Ex was a very very good RPG but The Sims was a revolutionary game as well as really good so I can understand why The Sims won it.  

2010 should be between Mass Effect 2 and StarCraft 2

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael

I agree with Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2 and Fallout 3, but the others...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By Jeust
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Jeust: b-b-b-b-b-but mass effect 2 should've won!!!! :( "
Mass Effect 2 released this year :p
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Portal? *poop noises* 

It's a good game and all but GOTY? Hell no.

Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Navyseils

I think I would not have complained about any of those choices except the sims. That being said, while ostensibly it's not one of the greatest games ever, it was quite different, and it was (perhaps still is) incredibly popular. It's  deserving of far more praise than I'd ever give it.  

The rest, I could live with. They may not all have been my favourite games of the year, but I didn't think any others got robbed by them being there.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Icemael
@BulletproofMonk said:

" Portal? *poop noises*  It's a good game and all but GOTY? Hell no. "

That's definitely the choice I dislike the most. While I don't necessarily think they were the best games of their respective years, I can see why someone would pick The Sims, Grand Theft Auto III, Gears of War -- they're important games that moved the industry forward.

Portal, on the other hand? After the initial wow factor wears off (which it does very quickly), it's just another puzzle game. Are the puzzles solid? Sure. Is the writing mildly amusing? Yeah. Are the puzzles Game of the Year good, or the writing Game of the Year amusing? Hell no.
kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25  Edited By kalmis

Only game I won't agree on that list is Portal. It's a nice little puzzle game but that's about it. For 2007 I'd say Mass Effect. It is no where good as ME2 is, but back in 2007 it was my favourite title of the year.

For 2010 I'd say Red Dead Redemption.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Bouke said:
" @DoctorOptimist: Mass Effect 2  was released in 2010..."

I know, I was joking.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@Jeust: Na ah! it was released at teh year of 2008!!
Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EternalInfinity0

I would probably change most of these, but 2000 and (to a lesser extent) 2008 are the only choices I REALLY wouldn't be okay with.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen

Uncharted 2 was amazing, but Batman should have won for successfully turning a license into a great game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Faint: Play the original two Fallout games, and you'll know what I and many old-school Fallout fan mean. That's not to say Fallout 3 is a bad game, it's far from it, it's in fact a very good game. It shouldn't be called Fallout however, since it's not Fallout in terms of game design or spirit. Only similarity being the presentation and Vault Boy. "
I've got the whole series and Fallout 3 is in a league of its own. Its a million times better than F1 and F2. 

I agree with every game on the list apart from Metroid and KOTOR.
DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DoctorOptimist
@MysteriousBob: No it's not, Fallout 3 is practically quantity over quality than Fallout 1 & 2. In Fallout 1 & 2, the world was actually a barren wasteland, you had to use all of your tools and skill sets carefully, it was also harder scout and scavage items. Fallout 3's "wasteland" is an all you can eat buffet, it's incredibly easy to acquire the most useful weapons very early in the game, it practically spoon feeds you from start to finish. Not to mention that Fallout's choices had more impact to the story and overall gameplay, Fallout 3 only has minor changes with each gameplay style. One thing I've found unique, is that in Fallout 1 & 2. you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. In Fallout 3, it's absolutely not optional. Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1 & 2, the same way Deus Ex: Invisible War was to the original Deus Ex. It's a good game, but not a great one.