What do you think of the new video player? (POLL)

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sungahymn

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sungahymn

Simple question: what do you think of the new video player?

I think it's great.

EDIT: Except when it times out on me.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By UnrealDP

Eh, it's fine. Not much of a problem or really all that different.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

The bar is way too big and ugly! So I switched to the HTML5 since GB just uses your browser's own thing for that.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

It's fine, I don't get why everybody gets mad at video players. I mean once you've clicked play it all goes away anyway.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

i ahve been using HTML 5 but i dont like the look

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its totally fine, I don't really notice it all that much.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By two_socks

It's been fine so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

It works just fine for me.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Monkeyman04

It's fine. I just don't like the fact that every time I want to watch a video I have to change the quality settings even though I have HD selected before I press play.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By emem

Do you guys not see the difference in video quality? Maybe my monitor is broken, hmm.

holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By holybins

@Monkeyman04 said:

It's fine. I just don't like the fact that every time I want to watch a video I have to change the quality settings even though I have HD selected before I press play.

Same here. Hopefully this is a bug they fix eventually (soon?).

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mak_wikus

@emem said:

Do you guys not see the difference in video quality? Maybe my monitor is broken, hmm.
g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By g6065

All good here.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Canteu

The quality is poor and it is broken in several ways, but Dave is working to fix the issues.

HandsomeMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By HandsomeMuffin

HTML5 is the only real player.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By szlifier
@emem: Yes. There is no resampling or filtering when in fullscreen wihich suggests unfinished code. This shouldn't work this way. I don't understand how any website engineer could allow this to be like that. Abomination.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By s-a-n-JR

It's good, but I do wish it allowed for changing quality settings without resetting the video. Also, I wish there was an option to switch to streaming rather than progressive.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
@Szlifier said:
@emem: Yes. There is no resampling or filtering when in fullscreen wihich suggests unfinished code. This shouldn't work this way. I don't understand how any website engineer could allow this to be like that. Abomination.
Dave is working on it
NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It's fine but I don't like not being able to skip ahead.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By szlifier
@ZeForgotten said:
@Szlifier said:
Dave is working on it
Fantastic. I didn't see it on his list and was afraid it isn't considered as a real issue.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten
@Szlifier said:
@ZeForgotten said:
@Szlifier said:
Dave is working on it
Fantastic. I didn't see it on his list and was afraid it isn't considered as a real issue.
Just send him a message with the bugs you find, even if he's heard it before he needs to hear them again and again.  
Also, it makes it seem like he has friends when people see that his inbox is filled with messages :P 
LAMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By LAMP

Bummer that I can't skip ahead and that changing video quality causes the file to restart, but I couldn't change the video quality mid-video at all before, so that's a step up. Also, haven't had any issues with buffering yet, so that's a marked improvement. So it's fine, because great to me implies being wowed and my reaction was more "oh, okay, neat."

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexxan

Major improvement compared to the old one for streaming/progressive which were very slow or not working at all for some videos for me.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emem
@ZeForgotten said:

@Szlifier said:

@ZeForgotten said:
@Szlifier said:
Dave is working on it
Just send him a message with the bugs you find, even if he's heard it before he needs to hear them again and again.  Also, it makes it seem like he has friends when people see that his inbox is filled with messages :P 
If that's the case, why hasn't Gamespot changed/fixed it after what feels like years? They had a different player not too long ago (I think), but there has been that terrible video quality for a very long time and it's actually one of the main reasons why I don't watch videos on Gamespot.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten
@emem said:
@ZeForgotten said:
@Szlifier said:
@ZeForgotten said:
@Szlifier said:
Dave is working on it
Just send him a message with the bugs you find, even if he's heard it before he needs to hear them again and again.  Also, it makes it seem like he has friends when people see that his inbox is filled with messages :P 
If that's the case, why hasn't Gamespot changed/fixed it after what feels like years? They had a different player not too long ago (I think), but there has been that terrible video quality for a very long time and it's one of the main reasons why I don't watch videos on Gamespot.
I will ask around the office and see why we at Gamespot haven't changed it yet... Wait a minute, I don't work a Gamespot. 
Maybe it's because they don't have their own Dave? (face it, nobody does) and now that he's in the same building that one will get fixed too? 
emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By emem
@ZeForgotten: Well, I would assume that it either has to be a bigger problem which takes more time to fix (I'm having a hard time believing that) or people don't see a difference in video quality and no one has complained about it before. It's not about the site GS, but about the fact that videos have been offered to people with that same quality for a long time and it hasn't changed... I was just wondering why?
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Humanity

@NoobSauceG7 said:

It's fine but I don't like not being able to skip ahead.

MY biggest issue with it as well.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By abendlaender

There is a new player?

I dunno, I hit "play" and the video starts. What's new about it?

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By predator

Indifferent because it's not Gnash compatible. Youtube HTML5 WebM player for me, and downloading for premium videos.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ElixirBronze

Granted top men will eventually work out the issues present right now, I think it's great. It feels way faster than the old one.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By web966

The progress bar is to big

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RockAction

its great, i use safari on mac and had problems with youtube freezing the browser for videos longer than 5 or 10 minutes* so for quick looks i had to open chrome to watch

it wasn't a problem just slightly inconvenient, the new player loads perfectly in safari so i'm happy with it

*not to derail the thread, but, anyone else having this problem?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alternate

Missed the option for - give it a few weeks to work out the bugs before grabbing the pitchforks.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sign

I use the HTML5 version so I didn't even notice they had changed it until I saw 3-4 threads spring up. In that regard I have no problem with it, but I can certainly see why people take issue with it given the post by Dave of the problems they are looking into. I am sure it will be fine once they get those issues sorted though.

BruceLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BruceLeet

Annoying that it wont default to 720p when I have "HD" selected before I press play. I hate having to press stuff twice!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kindgineer

Wow, didn't even realize it was there until I looked at this thread. I usually keep it on HTML5, but after seeing this I switched. The HTML5 video UI doesn't disappear unless you take your mouse completely off the page, and I don't like the full screen option it gives you. Does have some work to go, though, but I have faith in Dave!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bybeach

It sucks and I feel a rage coming on.

seriously, it doesn't work for me

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JYoung

I miss mousing over the progress bar and being able to see the time, if I'm continuing to watch a video from before.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Robo

HTML5 for me. I don't really care what other player they offer.

Lucidquasar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lucidquasar

From the radio show discussion I had thought they might add a player that would incorporate user comments along the progress bar that highlighted specific times of the video, similar to what soundcloud does for their audio player. My only gripe with the player is not being able to jump to any time of the video without it fully downloaded, with longer videos there really needs to be that option. Other than that it seems fine.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By musubi

Where's the "I use HTML5 so I dont give a fuck" option?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I didn't even notice.

Vyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vyper

Along with other things people have said. My biggest annoyance would be the fact that the fullsize button is to the left of the quality (which is far right). On other players like youtube, the fullscreen is on the far right.

I feel like this is an internal GB joke, like how the xbox controller switched around the colors on their controllers lol, but it still annoys me.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

the last one they had was terrible. All premium videos would take forever to buffer that i would just download the file instead

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Quarters

Seems fine. Same basic thing as the previous one. Haven't had any difference, really.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ZeForgotten said:

@Szlifier said:
Dave is working on it

Really? Because Gamespot had it like that for evvvvvvvver. As someone who watches HD on a big monitor, fullscreen, it looks fucking awful, even in HD. Anything else is just impossible to watch in fullscreen.

There was nothing wrong with the old player. Changing quality midstream seems like a totally useless thing, but I guess it would be handy if you have really spotty internet and need to turn it down? I would just put it at progressive/download it and be patient but that's just me. I don't see why they felt the need to change.

@yoshimitz707 said:

The bar is way too big and ugly! So I switched to the HTML5 since GB just uses your browser's own thing for that.

This another issue. That bar is so fucking fat. Luckily I'm on a 1920x1200 monitor so it mostly fits in the black bar, but it's way too big. Sadly HTML5 doesn't work in my browser. Although I'm not sure why, I had no issues with Chrome before, I thought they had been going back on that whole "we hate HTML5 videos despite supporting HTML5" crap.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ketchupp

I'm astonished by the results!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It plays videos. It is fine.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BrockNRolla

I would say it's fine, but given that it's currently broken to only allow "progressive," I'm going to have to say the last one was better.