What do you think the next-generation will be like?

• 61 results
Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agent1337

Sony = PS4 is released, is entirely 3D and completely overpriced
Microsoft = Xbox 720 is released with a bunch of sub-standard FPS titles
Nintendo = Releases a worthy successor to the GameCube for hardcore gamers
Sega = Re-enters the market with Dreamcast 2, dominates everything

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By overbyte

Singleplayer will get a lot shorter, game prices will go up.

Games built from the ground up as a series of DLC ("episodic content") will rise a way to minimize risk and gauge the market.
Modding tools and map editors will be extinct.
3D will go away (again).
Motion controls take some limited form for practical everyday use.
RPGs will die out as their mechanics will get absorbed by other genres.
Real-time radiosity and global illumination will be commonplace in game engines.
Indie gaming will see a slow, but steady rise. Apple/Facebook will utterly dominate casual gaming.
Games will become even more "realistic" in graphics and sound only.
Episode 3 still won't be out.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Mostly the same as this generation. Just with better graphics.

3D and motion controls will be a standard for all platforms, and there will be a bigger focus on digital distribution and cloud computing.

I expect achievements and trophies to carry over with your Gamertag/PSN ID too.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Day 1 digital releases!!!

I would expect more seamless Twitter/Facebook integration. 

...at least I hope so. 
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

I'd replace Sega with Apple making there way to the console Market, and I would also say the next Nintendo Console is going to be called the "Wii 2". The Wii is to well known to everybody to go and give it and new name that people who don't keep up with game news won't know it. PS4 will have 3D Support with all tittles and Playstation Move will have more games available that support the technology. The new Xbox will be the first to launch and will be cheaper than the PS4, Kinect would have more games available for it. Apples console would be hella expensive and would launch with all console compatible games, and the games/Apps 100% downloadable.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:
" Day 1 digital releases!!!

I really really hope so.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@overbyte said:

" Singleplayer will get a lot shorter, game prices will go up. More of a game's content will be sold via DLC.
3D will go away (again).
Real-time radiosity will be commonplace in game engines.
Indie gaming will see a slow, but steady rise. Apple and Facebook will dominate casual gaming.
Episode 3 won't still be out.
"

He said next generation, not what's happening right now :P
overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By overbyte
@Suicidal_SNiper said:
" @overbyte said:
" Singleplayer will get a lot shorter, game prices will go up.
More of a game's content will be sold via DLC.
3D will go away (again).
Real-time radiosity will be commonplace in game engines.
Indie gaming will see a slow, but steady rise. Apple and Facebook will dominate casual gaming.
Episode 3 won't still be out.
"
He said next generation, not what happening right now :P "
Games today are still structured like game + DLC, not like what Alan Wake was intended to be. Starcraft 2 still has a map editor, 3D is all over the place in film and media right now, and I only know 2 games that/will do real-time radiosity (Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3).

Not sure where the OP is drawing the line at "generation". Is it when the next iteration of a game console gets released? A huge advance in graphics tech? Some groundbreaking game that will have both?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

The continued rise and dominance of DL games.  Why pay $60 for disc based games, and get 12 hours of gameplay, when you can DL a game and get 5-10 hours for $20. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By kingzetta

It'll suck

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@overbyte: It was a joke because a few of them were already true. I wasn't trying to disprove you or something.
Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DON'T YOU remember? Shit is GONNA START getting crazy!

In reality, IT'LL PROBABLY be cool but not that MINDBLOWINGLY different. Still HAVEN'T PLAYED A game this gen THAT couldn't have been MADE LAST gen minus spec upgrades, but that's PROBABLY the way it's GONNA GO. You can ONLY SHIFT FROM 2D to 3D once.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mnzy

The systems will be more app-based which will enable the manufacturers to let their consoles be "fresh" longer and be more useful at the same time while maybe squeezing a little bit more money out of them.
Cloudbased gaming will grow and be as important as games bought in stores.

I think it would be interesting if one company totally screws things up and lands a total failure. It looks like we could get three nearly similar consoles which would suck.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By unchained

• Graphical output something like that. It won't be much of a push from the current gen, but it will be more in-line with what current mid-range PC's are capable of. 
  • I think a huge majority of the content will be downloadable.
  • It will all be expensive. 
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Funk

Digital download  day 1 with the disk release is a must. I wouldn't rule out sony making a full deal with steam to power their download service since they're already in a relationship with steamworks. Xbox may have have even tighter integration with windows 8 if they were telling truth about focusing on gaming. And I really hope this new nintendo console is built in mid for the next genration of sony and microsoft consoles and not competing the ps3 and 360, otherwise  it will be the wii all over again when they launch.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dany

Everything attached to your gamercard will carry over to the next xbox, games, acheivments, friends (as any as you can), more integration with social media, blu ray discs, games on demand for new day one titles (can be preloaded with time intervals for those with ISP issues) 1080p video, 3D capabilities supported for prominently. Kinect with every new console, 1 tb of storage, save games are both in the cloud and in your usb.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FritzDude

Sony will make an overpriced 3D toaster.

Microsoft will make a console-free console.

Nintendo will make WEEHD that will steal the hardcore users.

PC will make a MAC.

And Sega re-enters the market and get booted out after 2 hours because of poor economy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

It'll be like a cutting edge PC from about 2009.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rattle618

-Sony and Microsoft will market the next gen of graphics as the most incredibly mind blowing experience, it won't be.

-Nintendo will find some way to release yet another sub-par hardware console and will continue to rock sales aiming at the same audience that it has been aiming at forever.

-Better cloud integration and connectivity, but not on the important stuff (which hopefully will be patched in on the following years).

-Everything will be more expensive.

-The handheld situation will remain exactly the same.

-I really hope motion control improves and gains some ground, maybe that will happen?.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust

It will be the generation of flying consoles, hoovering over the furniture. AWESOME!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

It's gonna look a lot like a PC in the living room, except every time you buy something the hardware manufacturer gets a cut (because 'console' gamers hate freedom, obviously).

They have so much additional non-gaming functionality nowadays that it's already pretty tenuous to consider them Game Consoles anymore.  They're basically Personal Computers (except with a focus on entertainment rather than work) and they're only gonna keep moving further in that direction.  "It Only Does Everything" as Sony say.  It would probably be smart (and accurate) to consider these things as Personal Entertainment Systems or some such next time around.  I could see Apple competing in this market, but it will be on those terms, not as an Apple Game Console.

I think we're gonna have a situation where a status quo is reached on performance by all of the main players (could be 360 level, but probably one more jump) and then the competition will be about functionality, accessibility, hardware price and taking a cut from every game, movie, TV show or song that is bought and played on the system.  Retailers of all of these products should be worried - they're only going to become less relevant as the Digital Revolution goes on. 

If there is another jump in hardware coming, and assuming it doesn't come in the next year or two, I could easily see them offering a substantially cheaper digital-only SKU (alongside a traditional SKU).  Once they've sold you a digital-only box, you have no choice but to get all of your content through them.  At that point they've basically put a store front in your living room and told you that you aren't allowed to shop anywhere else.  It's a license to print money.  They have you by the balls, and once they have enough of you to kill retail, they have the whole market by the balls.  How much is that monopoly on your content purchasing worth to them?  Probably enough to make the digital-only SKU like $100 cheaper than the regular SKU, which is probably ample incentive to convince people they can manage without being able to buy content at retail.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JasonR86

I hope the next generation of consoles is at such a high quality of gameplay and presentation that I can't currently imagine what they'll be like.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

In a word; expensive.

Beyond that, it will be more of the same just louder, faster and more confused than ever.  True immersion and seemingly cognizant AI are another generation or two away.  Until then we'll continue playing digital versions of "Tag" and "Jacks". 
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno

I really doubt that either MS or Sony will push hardware as much as they pushed the current gen. They tried to match PCs in strength and ended up losing billions due to poor price stepping and loss on manufacturing. Both the PS3 and 360 suffered unprecedented levels of hardware failure due to trying to pack too much in too small a space with too flimsy components. I'm not sure if they've even recouped that money yet. 

Next gen they will probably price their consoles around $300-400 and break even from the get go, rather than pricing it higher and still losing hundreds of dollars per console. Assuming they release 2013-2014, if you do the math this means that there's pretty much no way they can exceed the power of a current single GPU. Probably somewhere in the range of HD 6950~GTX 580. Reports are actually suggesting that at least one of the above companies will be using an APU, so graphical strength could actually be substantially weaker (but still much stronger than current gen). 

Nintendo's going to be off doing their own thing I imagine, I think at this point whatever they release will be a resounding success since they've already got the install base and reputation. 

I doubt that any other company will enter the ring, as consoles are a hugely competitive and risky business, but if any company were to do so it would probably be Apple or Google.

I imagine Valve's Steam integration will also play a larger part in both PC and console gaming. 
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#25  Edited By Grumbel

Things we might see:

• a web browser that is actually usable for browsing the web and doesn't crash or complains "out of memory" on every second page you visit
  • serial numbers on games (maybe on the disc itself without need to enter them manually) to kill the used game market
  • motion controls by default everywhere (hopefully not gimped by lack of buttons or analogsticks)
  • more CPU/GPU power of course, but I don't expect gigantic jumps in graphics, just a few more polygons here and there, better AA and stuff like that (i.e. Unreal next gen demo looked nice, but nothing mind blowing compared to todays games)
  • maybe compatibility between portables and big consoles for the low-end games, i.e. play XBL/PSN games on your PSP successor or phone
  • maybe BDXL (100GB discs) as format, but I don't see that much need for huge storage on discs due to the length of the games (i.e. loading 100GB at 30MB/s takes an hour, not good when your game is only four hours long)
  • all games available via online store in addition to physical media is certainly likely
  • more social networking like stuff in the online support
  • Wii2 will be a "this generation" console, not a next gen console

Overall I am however I am not really sure, the whole casual titles, iPhones and Facebook are mixing up things pretty well and while they haven't really changed consoles so far, they might in the future. And well, if that heavy online focus really comes along with a crack down on the used game market I might actually just give up on modern gaming.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sameeeeam
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jay444111

I am guessing that they will release a new console either in 3 or 4 years honestly. It does not seem like a good idea to jump into a new console when devs are still learning how to program for the old one.

Steam will enter the console market. (Insane Idea... yes, but imagine a console with steam online on it and you can play PC games at max on them, I would buy it!)

Videogames will stop caring about graphics, let's be honest people, Unreal engine 3 and 4 look amazing, I don't think people will care about graphics anymore after a bit of amazement from them, you can barely get much better than them.

PS4 is going to be less powerful than the Xbox720, thus cheaper and easier to program games for.

WiiHD is gonna be like our current 360 we have now. so, good things should arise.

Xbox720 will be more powerful then anyone else, but highly expensive.

Thankfully however, you can get your gamertag into the new system with all the stuff you have boughten on the 360 and it will work in the new Xbox.

prices would be around the same, just due to the fact that charging 80 bucks for a videogame is just freaking insane and no one will ever buy new.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Cincaid

I just hope they'll be less laggy than the current consoles. FPS hickups annoy me more than subpar graphics.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

Multiple consoles will come out, I will buy more than one but not all of them.

The games will suck for the first year and a half, maybe longer.
Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS4 will have suction pads so you can stick it to your toilet while you play in 3D with a Move 2. Don't forget to wipe.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By droop

Why is everyone so pessimistic? Gaming has done (almost) nothing but improved since the last generation of consoles.

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brad_360i
@Jay444111: So you work for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo AND Valve?! AND YOU'VE BEEN TO THE FUTURE TO SEE WHAT THEY'RE DOING?!

but in all seriousness, you are wrong.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

it will be the same just like this generation just better graphics.

shorter single player, more multiplayer, a little more 3D graphics in some games.

it's going to be just like this generation. i can see digital distribution to some games that are going to be $70 dollars a game. we are all going to be like why so expensive and developers won't have anything to say about it.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By craigbo180
@Agent1337 said:
"Sega = Re-enters the market with Dreamcast 2, dominates everything "
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Now I know why they call you agent 1337.
CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CuddlyKnife

Smell Paks will become the next big thing. Insert the Pak into the bottom of your controller, so when an event happens like you crawl into a sewer, the Pak sprays a light mist that is scented to the proper stink of whichever sewer you're in. Full immersion, baby!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4d will be introduced and the controllers will include an automated spray bottle and vibrating mats that you sit on.  the market will be oversaturated with games close to the ocean

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kjellm87
@Droop said:
" Why is everyone so pessimistic? "
People are nervous,
that is understandable.

Most of the time it works out, but there are always someone who hype too much.
Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Hardgamer

That I'll be dead by 2018.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Brendan

You are the console.  

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By imsh_pl

My guess for the dates:

E3 2011 - Wii successor revealed (I'd bet its name will have 'Wii' in it; it's just such a strong and recognised 'brand' it would be foolish to abandon it)
E3 2012 - A new XBOX and a PS4 revealed (at the earliest)
Q4 2012-Q1 2013 - Wii successor released
Q4 2013-Q1 2014 - X360 successor and PS4 released

As far as the capabilities go, I'd really like the big 3 to do something innovative with their new consoles (like the Wii did back in 2006). The Wii successor is rumored to have a new controller input (the touchscreen) so it has that covered. I would, however, expect Sony and MS to do something creative as well (taping a Move 2 and Kinect 720 to the bundles doesn't count). I want the new console not only to have more "Umph" and better graphics, but something additional as well.

A good online service is a must, in all three cases. I want to see day 1 full-game digital releases from at least Sony and Microsoft and a good online store in Nintendo's case. I honestly couldn't care less about the whole ESPN-Netflix-TV stuff availability. I also want to have cross-game chat, easier menu navigation, friends managing, etc.

As far as the visual capabilities go... just make the games look good. I want a good game to achieve near Uncharted 2 level graphics more easily than it is possible now.
Almost full 3D support is obvious in Sony's case, I don't really expect neither MS nor Nintendo to take a step in that direction.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Geno said:
" I really doubt that either MS or Sony will push hardware as much as they pushed the current gen. They tried to match PCs in strength and ended up losing billions due to poor price stepping and loss on manufacturing. Both the PS3 and 360 suffered unprecedented levels of hardware failure due to trying to pack too much in too small a space with too flimsy components. I'm not sure if they've even recouped that money yet. 
"
i dunno why but that was very pleasant to read
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By p_p_o_d

Microsoft will continue down the micro transaction rout.  new ways to spend money.

Sony will design a console thats easy to develop for.  better online integration.  

Nintendo will do something crazy.   friend codes will still be there

Although I think 2012 is when it will start.    

Nintendo will have a system out.  we know this.

both Microsoft and sony have all there big guns out this holiday so I dont see what they could do other then release new systems in 2012.   no really,  sony have resistance,  ratchet and clank and uncharted this holiday,  Microsoft have Gears 3,  forza 4 and maybe a halo CE remake.   Normally these franchises are the big holiday releases for there systems and they trade years.  now they are all coming out the same year?  smells like something is up.   unless they are just making room for GTA5 if thats ever coming.

I think 343 could have there halo 4 as a launch titles and sony could have GT6 and a killzone game for the ps4 ready by then + random 3rd party games.     

they could rush it and just take current gen graphics at higher resolution and better AA and effects and it will look pretty good.  just like how every new gen starts.  the first run of games is normally just port ups of last gen stuff.   

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Jay444111 said:
"

I am guessing that they will release a new console either in 3 or 4 years honestly. It does not seem like a good idea to jump into a new console when devs are still learning how to program for the old one.

Steam will enter the console market. (Insane Idea... yes, but imagine a console with steam online on it and you can play PC games at max on them, I would buy it!)

Videogames will stop caring about graphics, let's be honest people, Unreal engine 3 and 4 look amazing, I don't think people will care about graphics anymore after a bit of amazement from them, you can barely get much better than them.

PS4 is going to be less powerful than the Xbox720, thus cheaper and easier to program games for.

WiiHD is gonna be like our current 360 we have now. so, good things should arise.

Xbox720 will be more powerful then anyone else, but highly expensive.

Thankfully however, you can get your gamertag into the new system with all the stuff you have boughten on the 360 and it will work in the new Xbox.

prices would be around the same, just due to the fact that charging 80 bucks for a videogame is just freaking insane and no one will ever buy new.

"
a console that could play PC games at the max for it's entire 5-10 year run wouldn't be possible because it would need constant hardware updates...which would just be a PC.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Azteck

You really like Nintendo, don't you?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#45  Edited By Grumbel
@Jay444111 said:
Unreal engine 3 and 4 look amazing, I don't think people will care about graphics anymore after a bit of amazement from them, you can barely get much better than them."
That kind of depends. Will people stop to care about graphics? Yes, that one I can agree with, as the jumps in visual quality are getting much smaller, I don't think we will ever see a N64->Gamecube style jump again, they will still matter, but not be the ultimate driving force. But the "barely can get much better" bit I strongly disagree with. Graphics these days are still quite primitive, simple mechanical things like cars look already quite good, but human beings are still pretty primitive, especially when animated in a dynamic context. We are still quite a few decades away from having graphics that are indistinguishable from reality.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By monkeyking1969
@Droop: @Droop said:
" Why is everyone so pessimistic? Gaming has done (almost) nothing but improved since the last generation of consoles. "
People are not being pessimistic they just don't know what to say.  It is easier to hid ignorance behind sarcastic humor then come out with a rationally considered opinion.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#47  Edited By citizenkane

I guess I will be the first one to say it:

I honestly have no clue what they will be doing with the next generation of consoles other than the general "improved hardware/software".  I just hope it comes soon.  After this year, I think the consoles are going to get kinda stale.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dungbootle

In space

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DrBendo
@CuddlyKnife:

Joke aside, I actually think that someone should apply Smell-O-Vision/Odorama to a game. For a title with the right tone, I think that it could go over pretty well. The novelty alone would increase sales out of curiosity. Obviously, a short-lived gimmick like this wouldn't do much for full-priced games, but for a downloadable one-off it could work. I recall seeing both Scent of a Mystery and Polyester in theaters, and the audiences loved it. A properly self-aware game could make charming use of the fad.

As for the topic, I see a lot of the same bullshit in the replies that I see every generation. I can't think of any change since games hit 3D that didn't see droves of short-sighted people insisting that technology could get no better. This naive attitude persists when launch titles are underwhelming. Few seem to remember the pattern.

From a tech perspective, I would expect a leap comparable to that of this generation. Microsoft will probably continue its current tactics, as they're working pretty well. They'll keep adding low-level functions, integrating the console with various services and making an effort to reach non-gamers. However, I don't think that they'll short-change the avid gamer. If you recall the lead-in to this generation, games took a backseat in much of the promo material, and players pissed and moaned about how they'd be ignored. Sony will follow Microsoft's lead in most respects- more online bric-a-brac and useless crap complementing solid improvements in games. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both companies tried to introduce their own social network systems beyond merely integrating existing ones.

I'm not sure what Nintendo will do. I could see them going further off the rails, but I think that they'll take a note from the other manufacturers. They've made many efforts to appeal to non-gamers and bring in a new audience without alienating the existing userbase. For all the bitching about Kinect and Move from myopic fools, both add-ons are clearly auxiliary, and both companies know which side their bread is buttered on. Given that so many of the issues that hurt the Wii are rather stupid mistakes on Nintendo's part, I don't think it would be too difficult for them to backtrack a bit.
swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By swfcfan

Nintendo release the Wii 2 which flops and see's Apple buy out Nintendo.
Sony's next console is promoted as a complete high end home entertainment device and will run steam.
Xbox 720 will run a Windows OS