What game music evokes a visceral emotional response from you? (Updated with Playlists!)

• 110 results
kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By arbayer2

Boy, what a tough question to be concise on. "Concise".

A few which come to mind immediately just out of good ol' personal nostalgia are the main menu theme from Metal Gear Solid, Theme of Solid Snake from Metal Gear 2, Animal Crossing's main theme, Super Mario Land 1 and 2's themes, the Pokémon Red Pallet Town theme, Halo: CE theme, Unreal Tournament main theme, Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3's main themes (and a hell of a lot of each of their soundtracks, to be fair), Spyro the Dragon's main theme, Super Smash Bros. Melee theme, Max Payne's theme, Road Rash 1-3 and Shadowrun on Genesis.

Gunstar Heroes' opening theme, just about anything off the Ys franchise (especially I and II), the soundtracks from Twisted Metal 1 - 3, the Crash Bandicoot theme, the GTA 1 theme "Joyride" by Da Shootaz (and probably 3/4 of every track ever put into the franchise) and (if you count promotional demo discs) pretty much everything I ever heard off of the PlayStation Underground CD Magazine back in the day. CART World Series' Track 7 aka Michigan. Grabbag, E1M1, Castlevania: SOTN's save-loading screen song Prayer. Moon Over The Castle. Siphon Filter. Deus Ex. That's it, I have to walk away from this at some point.

(REEEAAAAALLY hard to decide, it's taking all the self-restraint I have not to go on a YouTube embedding binge here. My family's been tremendous fans of Gen I - II Pokémon, mainly, since the beginning, so any music from that's up there on the highest rungs of the ladder for me personally alongside the 90s Mario and Sonic (and Spyro) franchises. Lots of sweet moments spent catching Snorlaxes, collecting badges and showing the fam. And rings, and springs, and gems, and Stewart Copeland.)

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

NANAKOOOO

Loading Video...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fingers get twitchy just hearing it:

Loading Video...

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster:

No doubt! I had to take multiple breathers from that game. The atmosphere and tension... whew

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Loading Video...

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably gonna edit this response like 50 times because there's so much music in games that resonates with me emotionally, but this is the first one that came to mind.

Loading Video...

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The one that immediately sprang to mind. I love/hate it so damn much.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So many good ones in this thread. The main theme from Ocarina of Time is one for me too. Same with the MOHAA theme (I was huge into that game. It was one of my first multiplayer games), the BF2 theme and anything from Age of Empires 2 (I've played that game since I was 7, so it's a big one for me).

Others I can think of are a couple songs from Hotline Miami 2 (like Perturbator's "Sexualizer"), The Fallout Theme from Fallout 3 and 4, The theme from BF1942, the original Animal Crossing theme, the Animal Crossing: Wild World theme, Mute City from F-Zero GX.

The biggest one for me though, is this:

Loading Video...

I've long considered the PC version of Mafia to be one of the best games of all time. For its time it was mind-blowing. The shooting was fantastic, the graphics were insane for the time, the cars had highly detailed damage modeling like being able to shoot out the gas tank and run a car you are chasing out of gas, something GTA didn't have until over 10 years later, along with wheel damage, engine damage, and transmission damage including losing gears (Most of this damage modeling was removed from the console version in favor of a simple GTA-like damage model). You also had more realistic traffic and you had to follow the rules of the road. The missions in the game were amazing also. They did a fantastic job of building tension, and the atmosphere was quite good. They managed to do some things in the game that we still rarely see today.

Mafia II was alright, but it lost most of the magic that made the original Mafia so good.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This isn't the only game song to invoke that WOOOOO YEAHHH!! feeling for me...but this was the first one that popped into my head for some reason. Even listening to this now makes me excited and I wanna play through the game again.

It's the opening song from Tales of the abyss.

Loading Video...

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

Realistically, this could just be shortened to "Persona 3/4 +Spinoffs OSTs", but I'll pick out a few of the stand-out tracks:

• Persona 3 - Kimi no Kioku [Ending theme] - Such a strong way to end the game; Without spoiling it, the ending of the game is a real bittersweat moment, and this song goes perfectly with it.
  • Persona 3 Portable - Wiping All Out [FemMC battle theme] - The female route in Persona 3 Portable is my favoured way to play P3 (mainly due to better S. Links). I love the entirety of the song, but the first 20-25s of it are a perfect accompaniment/start to a battle
  • Persona ~Trinity Soul~ - Breakin' Through - Cheating a little, as this is from the P3 anime spin-off (which isn't that great), but this is a great track
  • Persona 3 The Movie #2 -Midsummer Night's Dream- [Ending theme] - Again cheating a little, as this is from the P3 movie adaptation, but since hearing it for the first time in Persona Super Live 2015, I can never not hear it when I think of (P3 spoilers) Shinji's death.
  • Persona 4 - Reach Out to the Truth [Battle theme] - Possibly the most recognisable track from Persona 4, I think it is used better in The Golden, where it only plays if you get player advantage
  • Persona 4 - 霧 (Fog) [True Ending battle theme] - On its own, this is a good track, but not great. The way it is used in the game, for the long final battle, is fantastic - it ebbs and flows, and prepares you for the real final battle (after a mid-battle story event) themed by The Genesis. As I'm sure people who watched the Endurance Run will remember, that works amazing well for that battle - sombre beginnings, but just as you are starting to feel all is lost, the guitars kick in with the main melody from Reach Out.... and pulls you through to the victory. Great use of music in a game.
  • Persona 4 The Golden - Snowflakes [Winter 'overworld' theme] - I very rarely get emotional whilst playing games, but having watched the Endurance Run a number of times (and so knowing the game was heading to a close), and having some ideas what was going on with Marie, this hit me HARD in my first playthrough of The Golden. Beautiful song, and perfect for the mood of the game at that moment.
  • Persona 4 - Never More [Ending theme] - Beautiful song to close the game with. The linked version is from the [Never More -Reincarnation:PERSONA 4] album, which is my prefered version of it.
  • P4U2 - Break Out Of... [Opening Theme] - As someone who isn't a big fan of fighting games, the music was one of the best things about Persona 4 The Ultimate and its sequel. This song epitomises what I love about these OSTs - a nice fusion of the P3 and P4 musical styles. The ending theme, Today, is also very good
Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By reasonablesteve

Pretty much all of FEZ's soundtrack is incredible, and with the context of my experience with the game, virtually core to my entire being. So, that one's up there, yeah.

Loading Video...

Prior to that, Total Annihilation pretty much took the cake for all-time most important soundtrack.

Loading Video...

Outside of those, there's a few tracks here and there that stir up pleasant or melancholy memories. Ultima Underworld had a short soundtrack of some value, and oddly, Sonic Advance for the GBA stood out to me, Ice Mountain and Egg Rocket zones in particular.

EDIT: Just remembered possibly the most vital piece of music ever composed for a game, which is the Phendrana Drifts theme. Here's that for half an hour.

Loading Video...
TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A link to the past, credits theme.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ben_h: Oh man! Mafia was awesome! That song brings out so many memories.

Best thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The lead melody from Terra's Theme about fucking makes me cry. It's both beautiful and driving, it hints at the scope and grand adventure of Final Fantasy with this minor, detached bittersweetness. When the harmony comes in, it gets even better.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the first one that comes to mind is the music that plays over the ending cutscene of Grim Fandango.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Turambar

Certainly more than I can think of right here and now, but here's what pops to mind immediately.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

The first two are self explanatory, being arguably the most memorable core melody from their respective games / franchises.

The third needs a bit of explanation. In Super Robot Wars games, every unit on your side has a music theme attached to it and is played when that unit attacks, and continues until a unit with a different theme attacks. Bosses in the game generally also have their own themes and boss themes always override your own unit's themes.

However, due to a programming error in one of the earlier SRW games, Trombe! will not be overwritten by boss themes. As a result, it has turned into both a bit of a running joke, and also a signal for extreme badassery in any and all SRW games that include it.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got one more

Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Uhm most Final Fantasy music

Loading Video...

Suikoden music

Loading Video...

FFT music of course

Loading Video...

And as a bonus here's a song from Escaflowne that always fills me with pure joy...

Oh fuck I guess after decades someone stripped it from YouTube now I'm super bummed out. Gotta figure out which external HD I have the song on.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why since I don't have a huge attachment to Zelda compared to other games, but I almost cried when listening to a re-orchestrated version of 'Hyrule Castle' when I installed the 'Classic Zelda music' mod for Skyrim.

http://www.zreomusic.com/listen

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By 49th
Loading Video...

Painful Memories from Heavy Rain

Say what you want about the game, the music is really good.

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire soundtrack for Toy Story Racer.

My favourite Kart game of all time.

Loading Video...

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mithical said:

Phantasy Star 4 - Motavia Town, Rika, Her Last Breath, Laughter, The Edge of Fables, Ooze

I'm sure these won't effect you the same way they do me, though. Sure, maybe there's something about the music that is powerful, but I feel like you're not going to get nearly the same feeling without the memories and experiences that came along with playing the game.

EDIT: For me, these all take me back to a place and time, usually with a slightly heavy feeling in my chest. Even the happy ones are tinged with a bittersweetness of knowing I'm not actually 12 again, losing myself in a game.

I know that feeling since ALL of Phantasy Star music from 1 to 4 gets that response from me and more so as it was some of the great times I had with my now passed away father, since as a kid I would watch him complete these games and the music (despite how freaking awesome it is) was all part of that.

Valkyria Chronicles A loved Passed on with always destroy me and make me cry due to just because of everything that happened for that song to present itself in the game, I wont say as it's all spoilers but it hit me hard and still does.

Loading Video...

Mass effect had the most amazing response from me at the end of the game, it was a case of just shepard/my shepard just kicked ass and then basically goes "this was just the start....I will be there to finish this." then BAM! THIS SONG!! Made me feel so achieved. Even when I was completing it for the 5th time before going out to buy Mass Effect 2 on release day still made me pumped.

Loading Video...

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have to think on some more because there are plenty that have elicited an emotional response. Music is the most effective tool I find at making me 'feel' something. I don't cry at actions or storylines or get too super excited at other things, but man, the use of music can just blow me away (Jurassic Park theme building to a crescendo, I'm looking at you).

For me the Intro to the Secret of Monkey Island just reminds me of my childhood. Plus it's a kick ass tune.

Loading Video...

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cmblasko
Loading Video...

If you've never played Terranigma you should give it a try.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By no means the only, nor the peak. But this was a great song timed amazingly. Really stunning use of a song in a game.

Loading Video...

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Both are played during the credits of their respective games and listening to them just makes me remember the hours I spent playing those games as a kid and how awesome they were.

Loading Video...

Godot and the whole craziness of the final case!

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of the music from Phantasy Star, @mithical, a number of games on the Genesis have powerful songs attached to them. Something about the sound chip in that thing could do incredibly unique, very sharp music. For instance:

Loading Video...

Super Hydlide is so weird, so completely unremembered, that I have to mention it even if the music isn't super great (it's still good, though!)

Loading Video...

Just listen to the sick stereo intro to Herzog Zwei! As long as you had your stereo output hooked up on your Genesis.

Loading Video...

Master of Monsters is obscure, and has an INCREDIBLE soundtrack. I still hear some of the musical themes and melodies crop up in modern games.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This one:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Five that come to mind is the main theme to Metal Gear Solid 2, E1M1, the main Super Mario theme, and the battle song from Persona 4 (thanks to the Endurance Run), and Sins of The Father from Metal Gear Solid V.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The San Andreas loading music has always gotten me super amped and ready to pull of some insane stunts and actions

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Karmosin

Lots of persona-stuff. Memories of you, never more, reach out to the truth, the almighty, the last version of Mayas theme etc... But that has already been brought up.

Legend of heroes: Trails in the sky, two games that deserve to be played by anyone with a love for JRPGs hit me really hard and has been on my mind alot even after two years after I first played it.

There's simply too many pieces that moves me, but the ending song always stuck with me. It's a vocal version of the games main theme and efter the ending it just struck the exactly right cord with me.

Loading Video...

For the very same reason, this version from the second chapter makes me feel all gooey and warm inside and if I'm in the right m.ood, my eyes becomes a little teary.

Loading Video...

And lastly... The most badass and powerful final boss-theme I've ever heard. Chills man. So many chills.

Loading Video...

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Boktai is one of my favorite games ever, with Sabata being a contender for favorite character. Every time I hear his theme it brings back a bunch of memories--from across the entire saga.

----------

Vivi's Theme, Vamo Alla Flamenco, Steiner's Theme, Qu's Marsh, Amarant's Theme, You Are Not Alone, and Dark Messenger all give me some serious emotions on their own, let alone when I hear them in-game. Vivi's Theme instills in me a sense of tepid anticipation and excitement. Steiner's Theme and Qu's Marsh are the songs of the daily grind that I trudge through; Amarant's Theme (through game memories) and You Are Not Alone lift my spirits back up.

Dark Messenger, though. That gives me actual chills. I gear up for a fight.

----------

Loading Video...

This is perhaps one of, if not my favorite song ever. Full stop. I can't describe the feeling I get from it besides overwhelming joy.

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoW was a social thing between myself and a large group of friends back in high school when it launched. Played for maybe 4 years, then off and on for another 4. The original login music still holds a lot of weight with me, not in a "my favorite music of all time!!!" sense, but in an evocative time-and-place emotional sense.

Loading Video...

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a few that spring immediately to mind--the romance theme from Mass Effect 3 as well as the ending theme were sufficient to leave me an absolute fuckin' wreck on multiple occasions (I really liked Mass Effect 3 you guys). Also the guy who was repping the Machinarium Soundtrack is 1000% on point--I am such a fan of that music, especially this one (DANCE LITTLE ROBOT MAN! GET YOUR GROOVE ON). That and the vast majority of the FFIX soundtrack (particularly the piano arrangements) make me remember many late nights spent grinding and drinking vanilla Pepsi. Ah, I can taste it e'en now.

Finally (and most recently), the entire goddamn Oxenfree soundtrack causes a relaxation and wistfulness far beyond what it probably should--but fuck, listen to this track and tell me it doesn't blow your mind.

Loading Video...

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#88  Edited By frymillstrum
Loading Video...

Song of Storms means a lot to me too.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Cannot BELIEVE we got Chrono Cross before Chrono Trigger! What song makes you feel more like a hero than this:

Loading Video...

What makes you feel a sense of foreboding dread into an epic struggle than THIS?!

Loading Video...

The black wind howls, mothertruckers!

And to keep the Jesper Kyd train a'rolling:

Loading Video...

I can't imagine a song that more perfect evokes the feeling of an overwhelming invasion.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Zeik

@vextroid: I can't believe I forgot Ace Attorney. The music in those games are definitely a huge reason they are so successful at what they do.

It's hard to beat the pursuit and objection themes for epic music that gets your heart racing and adrenaline pumping.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every single song from Nier and Memories of You from Persona 3 probably get the biggest emotional response out of me. It's amazing to me that I'm gonna get two new soundtracks from the creators of these two this year.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There's plenty of game music out there that has the power to affect my emotions. The piano theme from Max Payne, basically any music from the Metal Gear Solid franchise, and heck even the Final Fantasy X theme does something for me. Most of it's largely based on nostalgia, but I think the music onto itself might be effective even taken out of context.

However there's nothing out there in almost all music, except for some Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Bop stuff, that gets to me the way that the Halo theme does. I've cured entire bad days just listening to the thing and gone into horrible dental surgery powered by adrenaline derived from it. It's simply the best.

Loading Video...

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mikeeegeee

@ben_h: Props for Mafia theme!

This thread is great.

Michael Giacchino is a famous composer who does all sorts of huge movie scores, but he also did Call of Duty:

Loading Video...

If you dig that, also check out Pegasus Bridge. It's beautiful, Band of Brothers quality stuff.

And then obviously:

Loading Video...

That song is childhood.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Loading Video...

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Jeldh

This is because of nostalgia, but I love the metal gear solid 2 intro, it just fits the feel of the game.

Loading Video...

Another song that fits really well is most songs in Hotline Miami, but especially this song. It just get the blood pumping. The big contrast when the level is over, music stops and you have to walk back to your car through all the horrible slaughter is incomparable to any other game I played.

Loading Video...

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jadegl

A lot of good stuff has already been mentioned. Almost anything from the original Mass Effect hits me because I played the game at a strange time in my life, so I think the emotional moments hit me in a way that they wouldn't have otherwise. I especially loved Vigil, which I think is one of the best pieces in the entire series at encapsulating the awe of your character in that universe and how young and small humans are supposed to be in comparison to these other alien cultures. Off the top of my head, my own choices -

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - Main Theme

I think as a piece of music, this theme really hits me. I remembering starting the game up and hearing this really sad theme and wondering just what I was in for. It's a wonderful, unique game and I think the main theme really sets the stage for the game.

Hotline Miami - Knock Knock -Scattle

Hotline Miami is filled with songs that push the player forward through level after level of gory violence. I think the music and the gameplay are perfectly paired, and one of the best song and level combos was Knock Knock in the level called Assault. I have listened to this song outside of the game many times and it still makes me feel like I could run through a brick wall.

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Overworld Theme

I don't think any game is as special to me as Super Mario Bros. 2 is. I pretty much love all of the music in the game, but the overworld theme just brings me back to being a kid again. If there is a fountain of youth, this is the song that you'll hear when you take a sip of the water.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Teddie

Stuff from Kingdom Hearts still gets a reaction out of me, although I think it's mainly nostalgia at this point. When that HD collection came out and they'd redone the music with a live orchestra it sort of became the main driving force of replaying that game for me-- to see the cool new versions of the old music that didn't age as great.

Nier's soundtrack hits the same notes it did the first time I heard each track, despite listening to that soundtrack probably 100 times over by now. It's probably my favourite video game OST.

In terms of more recent stuff, the opening theme for Tales of Zestiria made my jaw drop and then burst out laughing at how out of place it was (and then it did it again in a late game boss fight with another song), but I don't quite think that was "emotional" :p

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Moon theme from Duck Tales is probably the only game music that truly MOVES me. Even as a kid, I remember thinking, "this has a weird effect on me that I do not understand."

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@captain_insano: So glad someone mentioned Monkey Island!
For me it is the version from Curse of Monkey Island, as that was the first one I played back in the day. Just makes me so happy!

Other than that there is a ton. I am easily moved, one of those who gets easily emotional. But if there was a "deserted island, one thing to bring" type deal, I would bring music from Legend of Zelda - Majoras Mask.
Specifically the Clock Town music. Mostly because the feelings it invokes is happiness and hope. Well, until you get to the third day that is.
Here is a bonus remix version from the awesome Theophany.
If they ever make a movie or a TV-series based on The Legend of Zelda, they must use this as some kind of "this is the happy end" music. If not, they have fucked up.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

For me the Intro to the Secret of Monkey Island just reminds me of my childhood. Plus it's a kick ass tune.

Same here! Can't here that intro without being teleported back to Boxing Day 1992. The Monkey Island 2 intro has a similar effect. I'd been wanting to play that game so much, so when I finally had it installed and fired it up it was just magical.

The Encounter, Duel and Escape themes from Metal Gear Solid still gives me a great adrenaline rush. That soundtrack sounds like a lost John Carpenter record.