what game/games do you feel are the most underrated of all time?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MakoTitan

Mine would be Goof Troop for the SNES. I wont post a link here to avoid spam, but there are two guys that play through it. They're names are the Game Grumps, aka Egoraptor and Jontron. After watching them play it, it brought back all my good memories of it.

Whats yours?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Canteu

Dark Chronicle

I'm lying. Everyone loves dark chronicle.

Their Goof troop LP is probably my favourite, although their Wild Guns is god damn amazing.

Do you think they'll finish '06? It hurts them. I can feel it in my soul.

Edit: Here is a link, to save the OP from hawt spamlyness:

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

@vegetashonor: When I was 10 or 11, my mom rented the Goof Troop game for me. I don't actually remember playing it, but I know it got lost and we had it for about three months. Good story, right?

Anyway, not enough credit is given to Dynamite Headdy.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan
coilcloudvaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coilcloudvaper

Halo 2 a real underdog

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MakoTitan
@Canteu if they decided to not complete the shadow and silver campaigns, I wouldn't hold it against them. I can feel them dieing a little. Btw, always a joy to meet a fellow Grump!!! :D
blessey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blessey

Nier

Spectrobes : Origins

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Camoufrage

I would have to say the Disgaea series of games. It seems like many people avoid it because it's an incredibly complicated SRPG, but if you actually manage to get used to it and actually play it the game is amazing! Plus it's got some hilarious writing and good characters. Disgaea 4 was pretty good in particular, I like Valvatorez and Fuka, very memorable, far more than the ones in 3 (though Mao was awesome).

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BigBoss1911

Such a great game and a great story, I don't feel this game got the recognition it deserved.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tomba 2
Brave Fencer Musashi
Omega Boost
Pokemon Colosseum
Rock of Ages

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nadril

I feel Chrono Cross often times completely gets overshadowed by Chrono Trigger and other JRPG's around that era. It's probably my favorite JRPG. The combat system was great (no more mana, instead it was based on # of casts for each skill), the story was great and it has some of the best music from that era. The biggest problem with it was the incredibly large roster of characters (like 40) makes it so that it was a lot harder to really make you care about them. (save for some of the main characters, such as Kid) Still, I think the story made up for it.

So even though I like Chrono Trigger's characters a lot more I think I prefer Chrono Cross as a game overall.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

@vegetashonor: Please sir, we prefer to go by:

Grumplings

Also, I don't rage in their youtube comments. Like the other enraged Grumpling bretheren! We must find a cure!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MakoTitan

@Canteu: Lol. If Arin had his way, hev said he would call us his ladies...lmao. Yeah, I get so disappointed when ppl bust their balls in comments. I appreciate them for what they do. I am one who thought the dead space video was hilarious!

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Socialone

I feel like a preacher because this is my go-to answer for this kind of thread, but Company of Heroes. Yes, it ranks among the highest on Metacritic when it comes to RTS, but no one seems to know about it. Whenever I meet a fellow gamer, they immediately associate the genre to Command and Conquer, Starcraft and Age of Empire. That such a great game remained relatively obscure is mind-boggling to me, especially considering how cheap it is through frequent Steam deals.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jjm494

Doom 3. I didn't play this until 8 years after its release, but I think it held up exceptionally well. The PDA concept felt like something Bioshock got more credit for only because it was presented through voice over rather than text. I feel that many of its detractors were disappointed because it went in a different direction than its predecessors rather than based on the overall quality of the game.

I also think Lord of Shadows is incredibly underrated.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Heavy Rain, people haven't really talked about it but that game feels different with the playstation move support. Also Playstation All-Stars is alright.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By spankingaddict

The Sly Cooper games

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

Just Cause 2 deserves so much more praise than it gets.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258
@jjm494

Doom 3. I didn't play this until 8 years after its release, but I think it held up exceptionally well. The PDA concept felt like something Bioshock got more credit for only because it was presented through voice over rather than text. I feel that many of its detractors were disappointed because it went in a different direction than its predecessors rather than based on the overall quality of the game.

I also think Lord of Shadows is incredibly underrated.

I agree, I named Doom 3 BFG my #2 game of 2012.
Also, I never hear Omega Boost mentioned.
PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By PandaBear

Superman 64.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hugh_jazz

Since the advent of Steam I haven't really felt that strongly about games bought there, but from the games I have in my shelf a few come to mind(probably because I was younger and poorer and each purchase was a larger investment). Throne of Darkness is a big deal for me, I thought that format was much more enjoyable than standard Diablo, and I was totally bummed out about it tanking the way it did.

One other would be Dragonshard. Not near as cool as Battle Realms before it, but it had some really neat ideas for RTS games.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flindip

Underrated or unappreciated?

If its the later: the easiest answer is Clive Barker's Undying. That game deserved a MUCH better fate.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zekhariah

Sanctum / Orcs Must Die never seem to get as much attention as they should. Indie darlings are usually the story centric ones (which definitely deserve attention), but titles with fantastic gameplay that is not available in the broader AAA market seem to be picked up on a more limited basis.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zebracal

@PandaBear said:

Superman 64.

Really this one?

Going on topic: I really second the motion on Omega Boost

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No One Lives Forever, especially the first one in my opinion.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By natedawg_kz

Killzone 2&3

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Canteu: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to Drak Chronicle!

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshthebear

Lost Odyssey.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Snail

How many times has this thread been made on the Giant Bomb forums?

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dutch42

Not so much based on critical reaction but more from the lackadaisical response I got from lending it to my buddies - Binary Domain. I thought that game was fun as hell. Them, not so much.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Legacy of Kain games, particularly the Soul Reaver ones. They have quite a big cult following, but deserved way more attention and success than they got. I'd like to see a remake/reboot after they're done with Tomb Raider, but I'm not sure a project like that would work without Amy Hennig.

Alpha Protocol had some really unfairly harsh reviews. It had problems, but pulled off the branching storyline in a way that no other developer ever has before or since and if it had the Bioware or Bethesda logo on the box, I don't think it would have received anywhere near as much criticism for the bugs and such.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By peritus

@PandaBear said:

Superman 64.

That's a joke right? Right?

I would say Blast corps.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EchoEcho

Probably not "underrated" so much as "overlooked", but I really enjoyed Phantom Dust. Damn shame it never got a sequel, especially since the lead designer was very keen on making one.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By LackingSaint

@Snail said:

Considering the amount of people that still have something to say about it, does it really matter?

For me probably Bioshock 2 and the No More Heroes series. Though they were both fairly well-received, it seems like most people just kind of shrugged them off when in my opinion they were fantastic.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Snail

@LackingSaint said:

@Snail said:

Considering the amount of people that still have something to say about it, does it really matter?

For me probably Bioshock 2 and the No More Heroes series. Though they were both fairly well-received, it seems like most people just kind of shrugged them off when in my opinion they were fantastic.

I just feel like these are made so often it's kind of silly. Like you could actually find an older one to bump that isn't that outdated. But whatever, videogame forums.

Also people freaking loved No More Heroes. It wasn't a "fairly well-received" series, it was a fantastically well-received one. As for Bioshock 2 I think there were many people that thought such a sequel to Bioshock was, from the point of view of the plot and the canon, an unnecessary cash-in. Or something like that.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By LackingSaint

@Snail said:

@LackingSaint said:

@Snail said:

I just feel like these are made so often it's kind of silly. Like you could actually find an older one to bump that isn't that outdated. But whatever, videogame forums.

Also people freaking loved No More Heroes. It wasn't a "fairly well-received" series, it was a fantastically well-received one. As for Bioshock 2 I think there were many people that thought such a sequel to Bioshock was, from the point of view of the plot and the canon, an unnecessary cash-in. Or something like that.

I get what you mean, but unless it starts getting stupid like topics right next to eachother with the same subject, I don't think it really matters.

Wow, I didn't know about the No More Heroes love, I guess I just don't know many people with more than a neutral feeling towards the series. And yeah that seems like by far the biggest complaint I always hear about Bioshock 2, and it's a little frustrating that so many people would arbitrarily decide a sequel is a "cash-in" just by the last game had a complete story. Or that it being a "cash-in" would stop it being a great game.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ChillyUK7

Recently I'd say Mafia 2 and Red Faction Guerilla both succeeded for me by approaching an open world in different ways.

Mafia 2 was basically a linear game set in an open world, for many this dissapointed them in that they wanted lots of side quests and crazy stuff to do but for me it worked and wouldn't make sense to do time trials or daft side quests, to me I existed in a city with a focus on my gang, the game would have been a lot worse if it was strictly a corridor shooter/cordened off driving game. btw if you have this game try muting it, going for a stroll or getting into a shootout while listening to the Road To Perdition soundtrack by Thomas Newman, it's a great experience.

Red Faction Guerilla excelled in the more crazy aspect of open world games, I lost myself in exploring and doing everything, using jetpacks and destroying building after building, the shooting/driving mechanics worked well and graphically it was very clean if not all that impressive.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Mirror's Edge and Sleeping Dogs.