What games that have already been announced won't seen until the next generation?

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By basicallilexi

Some people have been pointing to Death Stranding as something that's almost impossibly far away but think its closer to release than we may realise. It's worth keeping in mind Sony brought Kojma on board to make a PS4 exclusive title, they expect THIS game to sell well but they know it's too weird to ship new consoles. People aren't going to buy a PS5 for Death Stranding, it's a weird new IP. Whereas PS4 has a massive install base who every winter could do with a big-word-of-mouth-recommendation-release to buy, I think casual people have become trusting enough of the Sony exclusive label as of recent (GoW, Spider-man, Horizion etc.) that they'll take the risk on a strange game endorsed by the makers of their primary console at this point but using the same game to convince people to buy a new console is a very different ball game. At worst it'll come out on both PS4 and 5 but I think people have been low balling how close it is.

The Last of Us II can see being held as a launch title; it's a franchise with a fanbase which, even if small, are plenty die-hard enough that they will buy a PS5 just for that game.

Ghosts of Tsushima is interesting because it's clearly been in development for ages but Sony does like to employ Sucker Punch at the start of a console cycle for tech showcases and looking at Ghosts I can see it running on a pro but I can only imagine it causing bases PS4s to commit seppuku.

Am I alone in my thinking that Death Stranding will be the bang to end this console cycle on and bride us to the next one (we know its engine runs well on this gen hardware), will Days Gone be the disappointing wet fart (but maybe mindlessly entertaining) last note, or am I completely wrong and TLOU II and Ghosts are likely to be out before the next refresh?

Also tell me you predictions for Xbox's next gen line up will be (I tend to not have my ear to the ground as much with them) and what you think the third parties are up to, do you think there's many games announced right now that we'll see as cross-gen or next gen exclusives (cyberpunk maybe)? Just some theory crafting fun as to what's going on in the industry at the moment.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one I can think of is Cyberpunk 2077. It could come out for both generations though. I dread to think of how downgraded that game will look on current gen systems though.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Sony does something completely unexpected by announcing that the PS5 will be on sale this holiday season, I have no doubt The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding will all be PS4 titles. Which isn't to say they won't have PS5 versions, or that they won't receive some sort of patch/update that improves the visuals and performance on the next gen system, but there's no way Sony holds back titles just for the PS5 launch.

I'd be shocked and saddened if Cyberpunk 2077 released on current gen systems.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Efesell

PS5 is probably next year I would imagine and I don't see Last of Us 2 or Death Stranding punting for that long.

Feels like Cyberpunk might though.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can see Beyond Good & Evil 2, FF VII Remake (maybe even fucking PS6 if they don't show it again within the next 2 years), and Cyberpunk 2077 as PS5 games. While The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima as "upgraded" versions on PS5.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soimadeanaccount

I have never really considered Death Stranding before Cyberpunk 2077... I don't see putting Death Stranding on the PS5 to be a huge issue either. Death Stranding can totally hang, or at the very least be part of, a new console push. The Kojima name sells to a certain crowd. I do wonder if it ends up being a PS5 exclusive what the reaction would be...

But seriously when are we expecting PS5 anyways? 2020? or beyond. Is it a traditional "full" console instead of an upgrade?

I can't image FFVII remake can make it all within the PS4 era if they are still planning to divide it into 3 games.

I could kind of see The Last of Us 2 coming out at the very end of the PS4 cycle showcasing everything Naughty Dog had mastered in a generation as they do.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird with Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima because they are all important first party exclusives announced for ps4 that don't have a release date as we near the end of the PS4's lifecycle.

The truly weird part, though, is how the base PS4 factors into it if they launch cross platform. Will the Pro version be held back by the base PS4 or will the PS5 version be held back by the Pro? I think it's unlikely they properly adjust these games for all 3 platforms.

I think there's a decent chance what happens is these games all launch on PS4, and a PS5 version comes 1 year later, like with Last of Us Remastered. Simultaneous release might not go over well, and this way they could get people to double dip.

If any of them get pushed to being PS5 exclusive, sure that would drive new console sales, but it could backfire in terms of PR.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soulcake

CyberPunk will probably get a next gen version but CD project Red has Confirmed that i will be coming to Xboxone and PS4 at release, as for all this talk off new consoles it seems a bit to early IMO don't really know where all these rumours are comming from i would say Holidays 2020 would be a good release date for next gen? Maybe Microsoft get's a one year headstart don't see Sony releasing in 2019.

And yeah my bet is FFVII being a cross gen game and a PS5 release game.

Also the new HALO game might be next gen.

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that TLOU and Death Stranding will likely come out on PS4 while Ghosts could be pushed out.

However, what I could see happening is: rather than all of them getting remasters, since Sony seem to be doubling down on the 'traditional console' idea while Microsoft and the rest look to get at least somewhat involved in streaming, is that Sony would use TLOU and DS as showcase for backwards compatibility, you'd need huge patches if they were to up-res the games or change anything but if we're all settled on 'Sony is going to do another box', I can imagine it being more versatile in what it offers than what a lot of other machines have offered in the past. It would be backwards compatible with extra bells and whistles because it was built at a system level.

Sony seems really proud of the games they've put out this gen and with not much else announced 1st party games wise and pressure to release new hardware soon mounting AND with the competition seeming so close to releasing their new boxes/services it would make sense for Sony to put out something that uses backwards compatible and ease of use as a selling point. No? Am I crazy and expecting too much? Is this even possible to release a game then patch it later to run better on an upgraded machine?

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life 3?

(somebody had to say it )

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk and probably Death Stranding.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If Cyberpunk isn't at the very least crossgen, I'll eat my hat.

I swear this gen is flying by, though. I still think of PS4 and Xbone as "the new consoles" five years later. That said, I think I'm ready for it, if for no other reason than that PSVR proved a hit and now I'm hungry for a second generation that's not cobbled together with Move tech. (or hampered by a single camera, hopefully)

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the Elder Scrolls VI will be next-gen.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the remaining three centerpieces of Sony's E3 conference last year will be this generation, I assumed they were talked up so much because they're going to be the last four big ps4 exclusives.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

For everyone saying Cyberpunk, I seem to recall the same reaction at that E3 demo (this has to be next gen, right? This can't possibly be an Xbox One/PS4 thing!) but didn't CDPR confirm multiple times that yes, Cyberpunk 2077 would be coming to current-gen consoles? In any case, I think that game looks awesome but I fully expect the final product to not quite live up to what was shown at E3. Come on, dudes, you know that we always see idealized, hyped-up versions of big games like that and the end result is never quite the same thing.

Meanwhile, has Bethesda announced platforms for Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield? What about Halo Infinite? That FFVII remake will probably come out on the generation after next, I wouldn't hold my breath on that thing coming out anytime soon.

@shagge said:

I swear this gen is flying by, though. I still think of PS4 and Xbone as "the new consoles" five years later.

That's probably partly because you're getting older and partly because the last generation went from 2005 to 2013 - three years longer than most generations, and a lot of 2014's biggest titles came to 360/PS3 as well.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By doombot13

@justin258: Yes, they've said it will be for PS4 and XB1 (though like others have said I expect next-gen versions if not at launch then soon after).

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

I think we'll see Cyberpunk on the current gen, even if it also releases on next gen eventually. Nothing from their gameplay video looked like something that couldn't be made to work on current platforms with some tweaks.

More for temporal reasons than technical ones, I don't think UFO 50 will come out before next gen starts, nor will Age of Empires IV (remember when they announced that an eternity ago?). Unless some surprise announcements happen, those have been radio silent for a long-ass time and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Though their existences have been leaked/teased rather than actually announced, the next Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell games will definitely be next gen.

basicallilexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1118147700053159938

imchardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imchardo

@zombiepenguin9:

Yeah, no single player Elder Scrolls at ALL this generation. Very disappointing to me.