What in Gaming Makes You Lose All Hope in Humanity?

• 106 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

List stuff you see in gaming, that make you lose all hope in Humanity.

• BF4 Rent-a-Server. Server titled *Best Map Mix 24/7*. Maps? Operation Metro and Operation Locker Conquest 64. 100% guaranteed congested mess. Talk about horrid taste. This type of server is very popular and tends to be very well frequented, to the point that these people matter to DICE. We'll get one of these congested-as-dried-up-flaky-shit turds of a map with every iteration of the game, stinking up the map rotation.
  • GTAV Online. One lap races on super-short circular tracks for *quick cash money*. This has since been patched. The type of player doing this just moved on to the next best lamest thing ever. Whatever that might be. So fucking low.
  • Rumors have it that there's going to be a new Wipeout game for PS4, rather than a Rollcage game. Ugh. Been clamoring for a new Rollcage game since forever. The next gen potential for it is through the roof. What could be done with modern physics and destruction, it would be amazing. Wipeout will just be Wipeout with shinier graphics. Yet another wasted opportunity. Maybe when the PS5 comes around then?

For the most parts, I'm an asymptomatic nihilist. But good gods sometimes games bring it out in me. What in gaming makes you a suffer a case of early onset misanthropy? So much hate!

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

free2play

microtransactions

flappybird

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmmm..... depends, actually I found a TF2 server where players read off Sonic erotic fanfiction..... knuckles never lived up to his name. But that didn't make me give up on humanity, in fact it made me happy people could do this in such as a performance piece.

I think I play the wrong games to make myself feel that way about everyone. The mechanics of the game sometimes either are just broken or I can excuse that instead of how people play.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SingingMenstrual

Gameplay feeling and interacting with me the same way since Half-Life 2, Morrowind and Resident Evil 4 set the norm.

Meanwhile the developers spend millions on technology and story elements. What type of technology, you ask? Nope, not the gameplay technology that should break the current grounds and bring us closer to intimate interactive mechanics, but graphics technology. The visuals.

They do the easy shit and have avoided putting any effort into revolutionizing the hard (and supposedly essential) part, and ya'll are just eating these new games up.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who give up way too quickly. We've all been in a multiplayer game where you are down some amount of points, but could still easily come back, but half the team gives up and or leaves. Similarly people would rather jump off a bridge in Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 than face an invader. I was once invaded and the person died before I ever even saw him. It is silly to give up when losing and not trying end up at the place.

Slowing the character down and then adding a sprint option that can be used more or less infinitely.

Cheating. As in hacks and stuff, not cheesy tactics.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

Those people who bemoan progress and emotional resonance in video games because it "gets in the way" of their gameplay. While I understand there are those who just want to unwind and enjoy a good game, I crave more creative and adult (mature themes like sex STILL rarely appear) stories in my favorite hobby. It's pretty sad that a game like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (which I just finished recently) is twenty years old and blows most recent games out of the water in the severity of its themes.

Gameplay feeling and interacting with me the same way since Half-Life 2, Morrowind and Resident Evil 4 set the norm.

Meanwhile the developers spend millions on technology and story elements. What type of technology, you ask? Nope, not the gameplay technology that should break the current grounds and bring us closer to intimate interactive mechanics, but graphics technology. The visuals.

They do the easy shit and have avoided putting any effort into revolutionizing the hard (and supposedly essential) part, and ya'll are just eating these new games up.

...also this.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By HH

that more people don't think both the dialogue and characterization in the mass effect games completely one hundred percent suck ass.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hmm, lots of stuff I guess. I'll just list a few that have been bugging me as of late:

- While I'm not at all a religious person, even I'm getting tired of religion constantly being portrayed as evil in almost every single RPG that it appears in. Like, it's so cliche at this point that you're practically spoiling your own stories now. " Oh, these characters have a god they all love? Well, I know who the final boss is gonna be! "

- " Dis gaem haz too many cutscenezzz!! "

- I am really tired how more and more sequels are reusing a ton of stuff from the previous game. Like, I loved Tales of Xillia, but I'm not sure I wanna play it anymore after seeing gameplay. It seems like it literally just takes place within the exact same areas as the first game. I mean, yeah, it takes place in the same world, but at least try mix it up a little. Maybe it does, I dunno, I haven't seen the whole game obviously. FF X-2 took this to extreme levels though and just really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hmm, lots of stuff I guess. I'll just list a few that have been bugging me as of late:

- While I'm not at all a religious person, even I'm getting tired of religion constantly being portrayed as evil in almost every single RPG that it appears in. Like, it's so cliche at this point that you're practically spoiling your own stories now. " Oh, these characters have a god they all love? Well, I know who the final boss is gonna be! "

Can I perhaps sell you on Mugen Souls, where you -ARE- the god (who is adorably voiced Tamura, Yuuki if you're not a noob and make the correct choice to switch the voice track to Japanese)? The Atelier series, where religion doesn't really play any sort of part, at least in the Arland series?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

I think that's a little extreme, but...

@slaegar said:

Slowing the character down and then adding a sprint option that can be used more or less infinitely.

...this. And any other mass practice that we get because the masses like "realism". A cousin of mine wouldn't play Saints Row the Third because it wasn't "realistic" and that attitude just makes me super angry. Here we have a medium where you can do literally anything,ANYTHING, and you just want to poorly emulate real life? Or, rather, what you think real life is from too many bad action movies and gangsta rap albums? He played GTA V instead which is a pretty good game in its own right, but it was his reasoning that I strongly disagreed with, and it's not exactly an uncommon reasoning for not picking up a game.

OK, back on topic, running speeds - or, rather, walking speeds - seem to be getting slower and slower. Sprint options that make you run in one direction do not replace a fun running speed. What I find worse than that are enemies, usually some sort of monster, whose attacks I don't feel able to dodge because I just can't run fast enough. This is pretty evident in Borderlands 2, but it looked like Destiny had this same issue as well from the gameplay video that was posted a few days ago. I'm not asking to be able to move at Doom speeds, but I would like to feel like the player character can move faster than I can in real life.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Video game forums.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neonie: I remember playing an Atelier game with a kickass intro song when I was younger. It didn't look or play anything like these new ones that I've seen, though.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@steadyingmeat: The Arland ones look amazing. I'm not as much of a fan of the Dusk ones, but boy if play Meruru it is one of the best looking games of the PS3 generation.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay of enter room - shoot dark people - go to next room - shoot dark people with periodical "HAMMER X TO BRODUDE" QTEs.

Multiplayer balance of "fastest firing weapons win" so that about 5% of the available weapons are the ones you have to use or you'll need to catch enemy players unaware.

JRPGs that are the dullest of dull stale rehashed samey shit (non-Xillia 3D tales games) (buy Atelier Ayesha, Esha & Logy if you want good serious shit that puts Square to shame)

Peoples love and praise for Bioware when their last generation and on games besides ME1 were nothing but "kiss the baby" VS "murder the baby and then its parents and the galaxy they came from" with incredibly poorly written thought out romances and characters.

The fact that Alpha Protocol deserved a damn lot better during development so that people could have found out that Bioware are shit and have not a hint of RPG in their Mass/Dragon games.

The "it has experience points and levels in it so it's an RPG" dumb shit line of thought which at least gives us a good idea of who to write up for organ and plasma donation when the lizard people unveil themselves and take over.

And then the sad lonely sheep who think that everything F2P is the devil.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ervonymous

Doom with mouse aim.

People insisting 2D games should by default be cheaper than 3D ones.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

All the youtube community shit like this

Loading Video...

Not sure it fits with the spirit of the thread. But still, fuck this. Fuck this so much.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My twelve or so year old cousin thought the monkey from Ape Escape was from Metal Gear Solid.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Corevi
DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@corruptedevil: Ahh, interesting. That might make sense I think? I'd never played either of the series, and he was convinced that he played this game on the original playstation, but hell if I know.

I'm just gonna assume that this is what he saw, and he wasn't quite remembering things right.

Edit: Jesus, now I've got an image in my head of him seeing this and thinking, "So THIS is the Metal Gear Solid I've heard so much about. Wow." Yup, my hope for humanity is still lost. Probably more so before discovering this.

dizzylemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's area or general chat in any MMO any semblance of humanity just turns into a wash of noise and comparrisons to WoW. Being part of a community or guild largely resolves the issue but, damn, that general chat saps away the humanity.

Also the trend in games and communities (the internet in general?) where everything is obtusely black or white, like @somejerk mentions about Mass Effect.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I acknowledge that it's an utter beast to take on a project that really does go beyond black and white decisions but that didn't stop Alpha Protocol and so many Japanese games.

I would vomit about how every little kid uploads "letsplays" on youtube within hours of a games release and how over 99% of it is completely useless waste of space and internet bandwidth that affects us all but I try my best to ignore that situation. Youtube will not survive.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By CaLe

The overuse of the word cynicism by man-children with delicate sensibilities.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

People whose hope in humanity is so weak that something in video games can shatter it.
(Sorry, I just think the whole lose/restore hope/faith in humanity phrase is overused as FUCK on the internet.)

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By TreeTrunk
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

The pessimistic or fan-boyish comments you read every day in every forum or article on any website. It sucks the wind out of any enjoyment I have when a new game is announced or a interesting discussion is taking place just to be derailed by a non articulated bogus comment(s).

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The I NEVER PLAYED A POINT AND CLICK GAME SO HEAVY RAIN IS NOT A GAME attitude get tiring quick.

People who have personal accountability as the only thing holding them back from being constant dicks to other people (ie the ones who abuse others via the 'net) scare me.

People who draw battle lines and get actually angry over stupid crap such as which is the better console or game.

@droop said:

All the youtube community shit like this

Loading Video...

Not sure it fits with the spirit of the thread. But still, fuck this. Fuck this so much.

Out of all of those, Markiplier is the only one who can really do better (and TBFP, but they already have their own thing going on). He actually seems a friendly guy that I would want to play games with. But I guess the whole pander to 13 year olds while playing scary and games thing is just way too great a cash-grab (oh, and Prop Hunt and TTT from Garry's Mod, can't forget those). The popularity of TB is just beyond me. The way he acts and speaks and reacts to both fans and critics, he just doesn't seem like a guy I would ever want to know in real life. He seems to think he is above everyone else. I have to give credit where it's due though, using his early diagnosis of cancer to spread awareness and encourage getting yourself checked out was a good move on his part.

Unfortunately, because of how monetization from Youtube emphasises quantity over quality, this type of content isn't going away any time soon.

These people definitely correct, Dark Souls 2 is just a rage-inducing, hard game, and there is nothing beyond that /s.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Microsoft have a console that's beating a Nintendo one. Everything is soul crushing about it. Crap western games, achievements, first person shooters, driving games without red shells. All sickening. Microsoft have ruined games forever.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZolRoyce

@punkxblaze said:

People whose hope in humanity is so weak that something in video games can shatter it.

(Sorry, I just think the whole lose/restore hope/faith in humanity phrase is overused as FUCK on the internet.)

Preach it! Those phrases have entered into 'over used meme' territory and come off as pretty groan inducing whenever used.

But to stick to the spirit of the thread: Quick time events persist. Unless your game is based around a QTE type of mechanic specifically, they really need to stop appearing in other games, and there is not a single person alive who wants them in other games, no one has ever uttered the phrase "Oh boy, the new [INSERT GAME SERIES] is coming out, I can't wait for the section with the quick time events!"
Either let your cutscenes speak for themselves, or have the moment happen with actual gameplay.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pessimism, I suppose. There's plenty of things about video-games that I don't like, but I still try to be enthusiastic. Some people behave like playing video-games is a chore, and that's a real bummer.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marcsman

Candy Crush

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire Xbox LIVE community

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Fans and hobbyists.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

- 9-year-olds cussing up a storm and regurgitating offensive shit they don't even understand just because they can.
- "Adults" who get in pissing matches with those little assclowns and expose them to some REALLY horrific shit.
- Cheap-ass strategies like finding a camper spot and sitting there aiming at the one opening to get to you.
- Jackasses like potato marshal in the BB Demon's Souls who simply want to f*** up someone's game.
- Console wars. If your console is so awesome, play it instead of spending time trashing other consoles.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Corevi

@deadpancakes: It was an unlockable minigame in Ape Escape 3. Part of a crosspromotion deal with Metal Gear Solid 3, which included an Ape Escape focused minigame.

Loading Video...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By splodge

Complaints about camping in battlefield 4 when I am a sniper class. I don't understand that. I am a god damn sniper! Should I fasten my tie around my head and run screaming at the enemy, flashing my wobblies from beneath my gilly suit? Bf4 is about tactics and strategy. Counter snipe me if you are able, dont moan about getting hit with a 1 km headshot that I patiently lay in wait for.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By monkeyking1969

1) Gamers satisfaction with obviously bad stories, dialogue, and narratives.

2) Lack of imagination in an art form where anything can be created - alien worlds, unseen wonders, mind bending points of view are all possible. Yet, what we do with this wonderful tool is make muddy battlefields, boring race tracks, and recreations of our mundane medieval/modern/future world.

3) We know we rely on shooting/hitting/swording too much. Oh, these games are fun, but everyone needs to expand their horizons just a little. There is more way to interact with a world, even a virtual one, that doesn't involve violence. I rather think it is an important hump we must get over.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A highly inebriated Dave Lang. I was always fascinated on what happens in the mystical place of existence that is the Lang zone, but after watching that GDC livestream I found out that knowledge can sometimes be a a terrible, terrible curse.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Sonic.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I think there's already plenty of those games to begin with, and more are being made as we speak. We've passed that hump a long time ago.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Threads like this one.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrpandaman

@xenolair said:

Pisses me off that developers feel the need to enlarge female character's breasts.

hahaha, I wouldn't say it necessarily offends me, but the over enlargement of female character's breasts creeps me out a lot. That and also breast physics.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people mostly. And the games. Gaming is boring right now. I'm so tired of gaming.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Anyone vilifying first person shooters, or military games in general.

Also, complaints about the color palette. Guess what, the natural world (enlist, you may even get to see some of it) is where armies work and it's predominately - you guessed it - green and brown. It's just asinine. Retarded. And these stupid complaints come out of the woodwork every time, just to drive the idiocy home.

There are still plenty of dumb, goofy-looking, abrasively colorful games made about fictional stuff anyway. It's not like that stuff disappeared.

Honorable mention goes to the Quixotic quest for emotionally resonant games, whatever that means. It basically leads to a bunch of hilariously stuffy conversations which effectively ignore major advances made in existing genres (especially, you guessed it, shooters) in order to justify picking up cassettes around an abandoned house as "fun."

I get that people want to recognize something new, different, etc. But for heaven's sake, recognize something better than this.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Barbie Dreamhouse Party.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've found the "lifestyle" part of the hobby has become exhausting and embarrassing.

It's always been fun to have heated debates, discuss politics and hypothesize on conspiracies but these days it feels like that's all there is.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

NSFW but yep everything abuot this is why I stopped playing FPS online with chat enabled