What is dark souls about?

SGT_HAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've spent over 200 hours on the game. yet. I don't know why we're basically killing everyone in the game. Can't seem to tell who are the bad guys lol. can anyone explain.

SGT_HAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there some sort of a book I can get?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sgt_ham: Dark Souls is about the human struggle to overcome depression and hopelessness in the face of life's unending challenges.

SGT_HAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SGT_HAM

@truthtellah:

isn't that the story of life. I was expecting a more informative answer.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TruthTellah
@sgt_ham said:

@truthtellah:

isn't that the story of life. I was expecting a more informative answer.

I suppose it's more of an overview than an in-depth statement on it, but there's no reason to be rude. You asked a simple question, what's Dark Souls about? And I gave you the simple answer.

Though, thousands of people have thought long and hard about every nuance. So, there are plenty of answers out there. I'd be more curious to hear you try to decide for yourself what it's about.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's basically a post-apocalypse wherein you fight the mindless undead hordes of the former civilization, the monsters allowed to roam free in the absence of man, and the demons and Demi-gods who serve masters trying to keep another apocalypse from happening. The game is basically a metaphor for the Big Bang, the rise and eventual fall of man, and the mindless toilings of the creatures that will follow us before the universe collapses on itself again at long last.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soldierg654342

The immediate plot, as it pertains to the player, is that you are an Undead hoping to break your curse by undertaking a pilgrimage to Lodran. How you do that depends on which Primordial Serpent you choose to follow, but for the most part, that's all there is. That's why you ring the Bells, go to Anor Londo, gather the Lords Souls, and everything in between.

When people start pointing to videos on YouTube, they are mostly explaining the lore of Dark Souls, the history of the world and the backgrounds of the characters, not the plot itself.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By viking_funeral

People in the world are dying, then coming back to life. They are the undead. This, understandably, is freaking people out, so they are corralling the undead and sending them to prisons in the north. There you start as a fresh undead, when another undead drops a corpse with a key into your cell. You later run into this other undead, who explains that his family claims the fate of the undead is to go the land of the gods and ring two bells.

Not some time later a giant crow just so happens to fly you to the land of the gods, and you proceed to run around trying to ring the bells. Why? Well, your character motivation is up to you. It's an RPG of sorts, after all.

Things are attacking you for various reasons, but at some point the undead will turn 'hollow' without enough humanity, or those little black sprites that you can collect. 'Hollow' undead are basically mindless zombies, a.k.a. jerks who attack things because they dumb. That includes you. Somewhat spoilers, but other things are attacking you because they are collecting bodies for Seath the Scaleless, and others are just jerk demons who were created when the Witch Izalith tried to create a new flame. But that's starting to get heavily into lore stuff.

TL;DR: Zombie apocalypse with Greek gods

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Its basically your A typical romantic coming of age tale.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the first fire, the kindle, and how light dies out and we huddle to a warm fire.

Oh yeah, and Tails, what's up with that?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fattony12000

Now that was Dark Souls.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TobbRobb

Love and brotherhood.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Everybody recommends Vaatividya's videos for lore, and he's great at story telling, but he takes a lot of liberties with speculation, and he doesn't really "cite his sources". I like Davecontrollive way more, he goes deep into where everything he is saying comes from, and lets you know when its just speculation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sgt_ham: Dark Souls is about the human struggle to overcome depression and hopelessness in the face of life's unending challenges.

I'll agree with this.

Dark Souls leaves a lot of room for interpretation and uses a lot of imagery to tell the player what they need to know. Note that I didn't use the words "story" or "narrative". Dark Souls has those things but they're not really the point.

I really need to play more Dark Souls one of these days.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alwaysbebombing

It's about Praising the Sun!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

dark souls is about nope gifs

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my interpretation of the ending but im not sure there is really a "point" to dark souls besides your own interpretation of it.

My sort of attempted explanation is that the game is sort of asking if its more noble, or "human", to save the world by letting all the power go or by becoming the most powerful. Would you preserve the balance of natural power or assume responsibility for all, take the power and become the dark lord. The game made me think about which choice is selfless and which is selfish. But I mean the game is kind of open to interpretation.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression that you were trying to save the world. Something about preventing an age of darkness or whatever.

As for why you kill the bosses, I have no idea. I guess you do need their souls, but that's kind of a dick move.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My frustration was I do not believe I ever ran into knaethe (spelling I am sure). But I met only one primordial serpent.

The book, and probably the videos are good sources. I checked out the one guy's, the one w/that dude running around in the drake helm. He was a little too emotionally involved with his narration. To the point I was going, really? But he seemed like he was into the game, for sure.

I did pick up there was 2 obscure but different rationales to why, and that either could be questioned. The theme of the world progressing from a magic one to a more human themed existence is common in some fantasy. And maybe it isn't always the best, instead of just sad...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@random45 said:

I was under the impression that you were trying to save the world. Something about preventing an age of darkness or whatever.

As for why you kill the bosses, I have no idea. I guess you do need their souls, but that's kind of a dick move.

Pretty much all of 'em (beyond only two I think) are openly hostile towards you at least, so... you could look at it as self-defence. Plus the majority of the bosses are all crazy people/monsters/demons.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cloudymusic

The timeless tale of a young hero who travels the land in a lifelong search for the perfect ham sandwich.

But the stuff that everyone else said is good too.

TheFeenMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls is about embracing your hatred, and using it to transform you into an unstoppable killing machine.

Oh, you meant story. Anybody who tries to tell you definitively what that games story is about is lying to themselves. The point is, who cares what the story is about when you're laying waste to things twenty times your size.