What is the most disappointing game you have played?

• 136 results
Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fordroog

I'm going to say an extremely controversial one, simply because I only played it for the first time 2 years ago and it was Ocarina of Time.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

By a long shot, Heavy Rain. Man, I thought that game was utter shit.

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: fair. I really thought Beyond Two Souls was so much worse though.

mintyice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mintyice

Skyrim. Oblivion was better.

Gone Home, too.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fez? Did people even care about that game to start with? I can't remember. Actually the Walking Dead. That was a buggy piece of shit game and the ending combined with the awful OMG BAD SHIT HAPPENED story beats left me unhappy with it after.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

@fordroog: Haven't played Beyond Two Souls but honestly I have heard nothing but negative things about. Add that to the fact that it's a David cage game and it's something I don't see myself playing, ever haha.

@mintyice: That was going to be my answer too. Skyrim was still a good game (though with a ton of faults and IMO a huge step back from the previous entries), but HR beat it out for me because I thought it was just pure garbage.

@alexw00d: Yeah, Fez was definitely a game people cared about when it came out.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cerberus3dog

Gone Home. I was impressed because it solves the issue of ludonarrative dissonance with its unique setup. Found everything else except the voice over lackluster.

EDIT: Saw people below me name KOTOR 2, that game is pretty disappointing too.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the OP. I'm sure it was great for its time, but the only thing keeping OoT regularly popping up on best-of lists IMHO is nostalgia.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

That's an incredibly subjective question. One person's overrated game can be another person's all-time favorite. This feels more or less like a thread for hating on games that other people like.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darksiders. I like beat em ups like God of War and I like Zelda and this was meant to be the magnificent alliance of the two. I found the game boring clunky and it just never clicked with me. I playe the first level (if even) then never touched it again, bought it in a sale for £5 though so didn't lose out too bad.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

That's an incredibly subjective question. One person's overrated game can be another person's all-time favorite. This feels more or less like a thread for hating on games that other people like.

My thoughts exactly as my answer is Bastion.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@hailinel said:

I agree with this. Overrated is such a loaded term, and quite frankly meaningless without context. I think the real question being asked here is what are some highly regarded games you didn't like, because saying "overrated" brings with it the implication that something is objectively worse than most people accept it to be, which gets into the murky territory of saying people that like something are wrong for doing so.

Anyone is free to not like Ocarina of Time or any other game, but saying it's "overrated" is a somewhat arrogant statement, and one that completely neglects the greater significance it had for the Zelda series, action adventure games, and polygonal gaming in general.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Mirrors Edge. I actually thought it was just a bad game and never even finished it.

el_stork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bioshock Infinite

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Any Final Fantasy game. I just could never see what people see in them. Story, characters, gameplay. It all just seems really bad.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say, but I kinda hate the ME series for being hugely overrated. CoD/Battlefield. AC has been really over rated since AC 2. Ohh, Killzone those games suck!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Risk of Rain.
I bought it on the Steam sale because it looked neat and it's got near universal praise across the board. It didn't take me long to realize that the only way to survive and do decently was to kite enemies around while attacking them. I thought "This can't actually be the only strategy in the game." So I looked up high level play of it, and yup. All you're doing from level 1 on is jumping over groups of enemies and attacking them while running away.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fordroog said:

I'm going to say an extremely controversial one, simply because I only played it for the first time 2 years ago and it was Ocarina of Time.

That seems to be far less "overrated" and more "standards have changed."

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As usual, I have to ask the question: what the hell does overrated even mean?

All I see from every answer is simply "I disliked this game that a bunch of other people talked about liking". Considering something being "overrated" implies it has an objective rating somewhere, what a shitty, useless, and needless word.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I don't mean to be a dick but this topic is kind of lame because people just name popular games they dislike without any explanation, plus it only encourages negative discussion.

I think we should criticize game and their problems but this isn't criticism.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22 fisk0  Moderator

Hard to say. Kinda leaning towards Diablo II. I just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first Diablo, and I keep seeing people claiming Diablo II is not only the best in the series, but best in the entire ARPG genre. At least Diablo III and WarCraft III got a bit more mixed receptions, and I'm in the "I didn't enjoy those at all" camp when it comes to them, but Diablo II gets near universal acclaim, so, yeah, I think it's pretty overrated.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense intended to the OP, but I'm flagging this thread as I don't believe that this is going to lead to any sort of positive discussion.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Overrated? Probably GTAIV

Game that people like the most that I hated? Probably Mass Effect 2

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

• Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
  • Gone Home
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Skyrim
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • DOTA 2 (Any MOBA, really)
  • Smash Bros
  • DmC: Devil May Cry
afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock Infinite

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Achaemenid

It's just the same as the unpopular opinions thread. Nothing wrong with it.

My answer in Wolfenstein the New Order. Just about the only thing that game had going for it was the really cool setting. The story was especially bad.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Anyone is free to not like Ocarina of Time or any other game, but saying it's "overrated" is a somewhat arrogant statement, and one that completely neglects the greater significance it had for the Zelda series, action adventure games, and polygonal gaming in general.

Historical significance don't mean shit for quality. Keep in mind that Pac-Man was historically significant, too. The Atari 2600 Pac Man.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By crithon

Skyrim, Halo, Dota, Smash Bros, Civ, Borderlands, Hitman, Limbo, the N64, everquest, Kingdom Hearts, god of war.....

Zelda, and coming from me, I'm glad I sold my copy of A Link to the Past for SFAlpha 2 on the PS1 back in the day.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnow

@hailinel said:

I think the use of "disappointing" keeps it from being that, though. For example, my answer would probably be FEZ. I played about four hours of it and thought it was a mediocre puzzle platformer, and that was with foreknowledge of the hidden puzzles and depth. But I don't think that it's a bad game or that the people who love it overrate it. It just didn't strike a chord with me.

@crithon said:

Skyrim, Halo, Dota, Smash Bros, Civ, Borderlands, Hitman, Limbo, the N64, everquest, Kingdom Hearts, god of war.....

Zelda, and coming from me, I'm glad I sold my copy of A Link to the Past for SFAlpha 2 on the PS1 back in the day.

You can't have twelve games/series and an entire system as your most disappointing game.

EDIT: Was the original title changed? 'Cause everyone has mentioned "overrated." If the intent was to get a list of overrated games, then I'm out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I think the use of "disappointing" keeps it from being that, though. For example, my answer would probably be FEZ. I played about four hours of it and thought it was a mediocre puzzle platformer, and that was with foreknowledge of the hidden puzzles and depth. But I don't think that it's a bad game or that the people who love it overrate it. It just didn't strike a chord with me.

The OP edited the topic. It was originally asking for "most overrated," not "most disappointing."

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 is the answer for me. I came to the game (and PS3) about 6 months after it came out and everyone had anointed it as the Game of the Year and then some.

By the time I actually played it I had already played Assassin's Creed II and Gears of War 2. What I got with Uncharted was a game that tried to take elements of both of those (cover shooting, parkour styled climbing-platforming) and mix them together however they didn't really excel in my mind at either. I felt the shooting was extremely unfair, enemies could soak up an entire clip but if you popped out of cover for even a couple seconds you were dead. I also didn't find the cover controls to be as responsive as I wanted and seemed to always stick to the wrong side or not at all. I felt like the platforming controls were sluggish and always felt that I didn't have as much control over him as I needed. It seemed much easier to just detach from/drop off of a wall or ledge than you would need and I felt like they didn't always have the best lines in the level to keep you moving in the right direction.

Bottom line was that I came into the game with huge expectations. I enjoyed the Indiana Jones-inspired plot (even if there were some issues between the tone of the narrative and the gameplay) and the game did a good job of making you feel like you were exploring/discovering clues in a few sections. That said I found the majority of the gameplay to not measure up.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CODMW2. I loved the original MW. I came in expecting greatness and left extremely disappointed.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wolfgame

I've been thinking a lot about my old school days of gaming, maybe brooding is a better word. Even as a kid I had stuck to franchises that I felt comfortable with. In the days of dial-up I didn't have the resources to keep from getting taken advantage of by bad games. I thought this game was one of the best platformers I had played on the SNES era.

No Caption Provided

Fantastic, just great... even now this game holds up, I can tell you my thoughts were firmly resting mentally on this game when I made the terrible decision to purchase this next pos at a KB Toys

No Caption Provided

<-- This game can rot in hell, in the deepest corners burning forever never to be saved. I hold nothing but contempt for this miserable pile of garbage and the lack of sleep I got last night has only fueled the rage hiding in the past. Even from the box Buster's smile seems to be taunting me to this day,suckering my child like wonder for a beanstalk platforming adventure. I remember piss poor point and click gameplay with little direction and terrible design. If a game could drive a child to depression and ruin an element of Tiny Toon adventures for me it would have to be the bitter memories of spending an allowance that had been saved for months just to wallow in despair at feeling like I had been scammed. This Buster Bunny is smiling but only because he knows he pulled one over on me. Who knows how many other unsuspecting children that blue asshole pulled one over on with this release...

Well... I feel better getting that off my chest. I still don't know if I would say this was most disappointing. In general I feel like I have developed some appreciation for the "so bad its good" quality of games over the years, but I don't care how much time passes with game it would never get that qualification for me. All that's left is a seething hatred for what is and a long dead dream of what could have been. A Tiny Toons adventure game featuring the environments from a giant Beanstalk could have been amazing... could have been good... I forgive you NewKidCo... where ever you are now, but I don't forget :-(

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crithon

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

You can't have twelve games/series and an entire system as your most disappointing game.

EDIT: Was the original title changed? 'Cause everyone has mentioned "overrated." If the intent was to get a list of overrated games, then I'm out.

The game I picked was A Link to the Past, I just listed random things I found overrated for fun. But if you wanted to go more in depth, at the time I had a friend whom we tried very hard to beat the game as quickly compared to one another. It got to the point I could beat that game less then 5 hours and grew tired of it fast because it was rivalry of two friends trying to beat one another. That was probably lasted a month of really squeezing everything out of that game. And I sold it for a better value game SF Alpha 2 a game that still influences me a lot. If I do complement A Link to the Past it's out of tolerance because deep down I do find it annoying.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By agentboolen

When I was a kid Zelda 2. Few years ago Noby Noby Boy, from the same creator of Katamari. It just seemed to be light on game play, I really did enjoy Katamari I just didn't find this to be as fun. I can't help but mention that one Sonic the hedgehog game that was sold unfinished and still made it as a xbox 360 Platinum game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DayZ, because I feel like it's going to be an unfinished idea forever and never be more ambitious than it is right now.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OGJackWagon69

Dark souls, I didn't know exactly what that game was before I bought it and since I have the same attitude about games like that as jeff I ended up not liking it. That game sticks out in my mind a lot but I've played far worse games TBH

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By BoOzak

I'm glad the name of the thread changed from overrated to dissapointing. The word overrate personally makes me cringe. At least in regards to highly subjective things like gaming, music & movies. (some would say art)

Anyway, now that that's out the way. Fable, i'm one of the idiots that bought into Molyneux's (now laughable) hype machine. Having loved Black & White despite it's obvious flaws as an RTS I expected a lot more from Fable.

I didnt think the game would look as good as the screenshots being displayed back when the game was refered to as Project Ego. (fitting) But none of the features that made me excited about the game ended up in it. Advanced AI that gave NPCs jobs and ambitions. Advanced weapon custmization that made any weapon given the right adjustments a viable killing machine. (Augments were akin to sockets and were only available to certain weapons much like Diablo and a dozen other games) And finally the thing that the game was heavily sold on, decisions that matter and heavily impact the world.

Yeah, I was young and naive, better than being old and jaded though I guess. (you stole my innocence Molyneux!)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Bioshock or Jade Empire

Starcraft II custom map scene for multiplayer, though it was to be expected. The lack of creativity in the melee playerbase was also quite uninspiring.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XIII was one that stands out to me. The characters were so awful.

I made the mistake of trying to get into Ocarina of Time with zero nostalgia for the original N64 version recently and I struggled with it. All early 3D games can be rough to go back to without childhood nostalgia. Like I'm sure RE2 is rough for someone who never played it back in the day, but to me it's one of the best games ever.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Well, I guess I'll comment now that the grossly over prolific term "overrated" has been changed to disappointing.

For me, I'm never really that disappointed in games. I either know I'm gonna like it or not. Although, in the case of Pokemon Black/White 2, I fully expected to love it. It's pretty much more of the first game, which I adored. For some reason though, I just hated it. Nothing to articulate as to why. It just hit me the wrong way.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#43 fisk0  Moderator

CODMW2. I loved the original MW. I came in expecting greatness and left extremely disappointed.

Yeah, COD 4 was pretty good, but I just couldn't stand playing MW2 beyond the first hour or so.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

DMC2.

Bought it. Beat it. Returned it.

I never thought about doing that before and have never thought about doing that since.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Brink.

Quest64.

Titanfall.

Twilight Princess.

Twisted Metal. (Newest)

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empire Earth 3. I played 1+2 each for over 500 hours, and 3 was an over-simplified, buggy, cartoony mess. I spent half a summer saving up to get it and barely played an hour.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Dragon Age 2 till the end of time. Even ME3's bullshit doesn't top the massive bummer that DA2 was.

(Again, DA2 isn't a bad game, it is a very mediocre/good game by any stretch. BUT it is a horrible dragon age game and not the game I wanted after the hundreds of hours I put into DA:O)

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JesterArbo

Fallout 3. Probably one of the most anticipated games for me (at least for the last generation). I finally got it and about 3 or 4 hours in, was so bored by the game I fell asleep. Multiple times I have bought and traded this game in hope that I would one day realize what a great game Fallout 3 is. I have yet to successfully stay awake long enough to see it through. Seriously almost every time I have tried to play this game, it has made me doze off into a deep slumber without fail.

I am still disappointed to this day.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm playing through Ni No Kuni at the moment and I've found it pretty disappointing. Studio Ghibli's animated cutscenes are great, but they're few and far between. The voice acting is inconsistent, in that only certain dialogue is spoken. The battle system is kind of clumsy, and a lot of the writing is mind numbing. Also, Drippy is flipping annoying mun en'it.