What Is Your Favorite Video Game Genre And Why?

• 86 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

So what type of games do you prefer to play the most? For me survival horror has always been my favorite. I just love the thrill of being hopeless and getting out of a terrifying situation. While using limted resources to the best of my advantage, and trying to avoid certain situations if I can. I like being caught off guard and expecting the unexpected. So I can figure out how to overcome certain obstacles and survive. Its a challenge that I enjoy doing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Fighting games. Nothing like facing a dude face to face in a battle of wits, nerve and skill.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By falserelic

@FluxWaveZ said:

Fighting games. Nothing like facing a dude face to face in a battle of wits, nerve and skill.

true....

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clonedzero

RPGs. i just god damn love them. i get so invested in the story and characters, no other genre of games can do that. i love adventuring, i love exploring. i love big stories, characters. ect. thats the RPG bread and butter.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falserelic

@Clonedzero said:

RPGs. i just god damn love them. i get so invested in the story and characters, no other genre of games can do that. i love adventuring, i love exploring. i love big stories, characters. ect. thats the RPG bread and butter.

I got 2 friends that are a big fan of Rpgs. 1 of them are crazy about a game called persona.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By TehFlan

If I had to choose one, it'd be turn-based strategy. I like games that make me think all strategically and such.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

when your with a lot of people, fighting games are the best (street fighter, tekken, even SSBB). by myself, i prefer RPG's.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falserelic

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

when your with a lot of people, fighting games are the best (street fighter, tekken, even SSBB). by myself, i prefer RPG's.

Yeah fighting games are a blast with friends. Tekken is my favorite fighting game series.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jimi

RTS.

To me nothing beats formulating a plan and pitting it against your opponent while having the mechanical skill to pull it off.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Platformers. Mostly just 2D platformers.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clonedzero

@Jimi said:

RTS.

To me nothing beats formulating a plan and pitting it against your opponent while having the mechanical skill to pull it off.

i love it when a plan comes together

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

@Clonedzero said:

@Jimi said:

RTS.

i love it when a plan comes together

We all do....

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DoctorDanger99

even though its not my favorite,open world games.any kind.i just like the feel of them. i would say stealth games but metal gear is really all i like.id say FPS but ive grown tired of them.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic

@DoctorDanger99 said:

even though its not my favorite,open world games.any kind.i just like the feel of them. i would say stealth games but metal gear is really all i like.id say FPS but ive grown tired of them.

I'm starting to get tired of FPS too. Especially military shooters they all started feeling the same nowadays.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Sooty

Fighting games because not only does it feel fucking good to pull off those Doom TAC combos but also fighting game tournament streams such as Evo are fantastic entertainment.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By daiphyer

I love me some RPGs. Nothing is more satisfying than the sense of character progression. I love questing, looting, adventuring, I love all of it.

After that, I guess it's open-world GTA-esque games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

First person shooters, but I seem to be taking quite an extended break from them for the most part. Those are pretty much all I played for a very long time; these days it's RPG's and open world games mostly, with some racing thrown in for good measure. There have been some really good shooters here and there, but I don't think anything downright jaw-dropping has come along for me. Resistance 3 was pretty good from last year, but that's about it.

Well, OK, Deus Ex, but that is not the game that comes to mind when I think "first person shooter". Not enough dakka to really be thrown in with the likes of Halo or Doom. Good game, just doesn't quite fall in with other FPS's.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By killacam

gots 'ta agree with the OP. survival horror, because (if done right) it really makes use of video games' strengths to immerse you and drag you down to the depths of hell and beyond.

TwelveFootFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwelveFootFour

I love Open World games! That being said I also love when they have stealth, gun play(mostly first person), and RPG elements. Oh and I love games that you can talk your way out of trouble sometimes.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic

@TwelveFootFour said:

I love Open World games! That being said I also love when they have stealth, gun play(mostly first person), and RPG elements. Oh and I love games that you can talk your way out of trouble sometimes.

I love games like that too.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG most of the time, MMO's as well. (Lord of the Rings Online, WoW)

I do like a good 'arcade' shooter like Halo/Timesplitters on the side however.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By falserelic

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

RPG most of the time, MMO's as well. (Lord of the Rings Online, WoW) I do like a good 'arcade' shooter like Halo/Timesplitters on the side however.

I use to love playing halo back in the old days. It was 1 of the few online games I played at the time.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@falserelic: i know man.i played Team Fortress 2 for the very first time the other day.it was a breath of fresh air. before i knew it i had played for over four hours!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: So get back into it with Halo 4.
DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@falserelic: i get so used to the COD way of playing FPS that i get confused playing games like halo and TF2 lol

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By falserelic

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@falserelic: So get back into it with Halo 4.

I would like to but I got no 360

@DoctorDanger99: I'm actually playing team fortress 2 aswell on my PC. I love playing as pyro to me he's the funniest character. I just love shouting out medic and doing he's taunts the fire hodoken is my favorite taunt for pyro.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@falserelic: ive had it on my orange box for awile now and i just got bored and pop it in.now i play the shit outta it.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeanFoster

Nothing beat's a great RPG. I play video games to unplug from the real world, and no genre helps me disconnect quite as well as a giant, fleshed RPG.

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WileyS

Thats really tough. I play a ton of Rhythm Games and RPGs, but overall I would have to say Platformers. I find I can go back to just about any good Platformer at any time. As long as a game has solid running and jumping there is a lot you can build on to make an awesome experience.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@SeanFoster: lol "fleshed rpg". we all know how you like to game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By falserelic

@SeanFoster said:

Nothing beat's a great RPG. I play video games to unplug from the real world, and no genre helps me disconnect quite as well as a giant, fleshed RPG.

I do the same with games to escape reality for awhile, and invest my time in the cool virtually reality world.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Rockstar open world games followed by Bethesda open world games!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

RPG. I just like exploring worlds completely different from our own. Seeing new places, meeting new people...killing them and looting their bodies. Ah, the good life.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By falserelic

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Both has aswome developers.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@falserelic said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Both has aswome developers.

Those 2 developers made some of my favourite games. Fallout 3, Skyrim, GTA IV and most of all RDR

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#36  Edited By pyromagnestir

Don't really have one. And nowadays most every game seems to have a little bit of everything in it, anyways.

I guess I tend to play more RPG's than anything else, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPGs. Both Japanese and Western RPGs but more so WRPGs now like Fallout or Skyrim.

I love exploring these vast worlds and discovering a new character or story. I found Fallout 3 to be one of the most addicting games ever for me personally. Walking through the Wasteland and finding a random cave or shack and discovering what happened there. One thing that I do love about RPGs, and this goes more so for WRPGs is breaking the game. A lot of these games now are built with a lot of customization and finding a character build that "breaks" the game is just fun and the replay value.

I had been willing to write off JRPGs just because of the lack of compelling JRPGs out in the market now but then I played Persona 4 which changed my mind completely. A brilliant game start to finish.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By falserelic

I still got to get into more rpgs.The last rpg I played was persona 4. I remember grinding like forever to make my character more stronger. Then by accident I hit my ps3 power cord and lost all my progress. I was just at a state of shock, all that grinding in that tower for nothing. Sense then I haven't really played an rpg its been a few months now..

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By _Zombie_

Sandbox games, hands down. For me, nothing beats being able to run around in an open world doing whatever the hell I want.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By falserelic

@VaddixBell said:

RPGs. Both Japanese and Western RPGs but more so WRPGs now like Fallout or Skyrim.

I love exploring these vast worlds and discovering a new character or story. I found Fallout 3 to be one of the most addicting games ever for me personally. Walking through the Wasteland and finding a random cave or shack and discovering what happened there. One thing that I do love about RPGs, and this goes more so for WRPGs is breaking the game. A lot of these games now are built with a lot of customization and finding a character build that "breaks" the game is just fun and the replay value.

I had been willing to write off JRPGs just because of the lack of compelling JRPGs out in the market now but then I played Persona 4 which changed my mind completely. A brilliant game start to finish.

Playing Fallout new vegas in some ways reminded me of a survival horror. Going through creepy parts of the wasteland, exploring caves and other dark places brought out the survival horror vibe to me. Especially when you have limited ammo for weapons and bizarre monsters attack you out of nowhere. Playing new vegas was a thrill to me.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alkaiser

@falserelic said:

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

Yeah fighting games are a blast with friends. Tekken is my favorite fighting game series.

Who do you play? Most of the time I spent playing as Armor King and Yoshimitsu, but most of the cast was pretty cool. Played a little Kazuya as well.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By falserelic

@Alkaiser said:

@falserelic said:

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

Who do you play? Most of the time I spent playing as Armor King and Yoshimitsu, but most of the cast was pretty cool. Played a little Kazuya as well.

For me Raven all the way. I was a beast with him when I had tekken 6. I almost had unlocked all of the trophies except 1. I had knowledge of how to play as raven from playing tekken 5. In tekken 6 I had to get use to some of he's knew combos. But once I figured out everything I became a badass.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By imsh_pl

My recent favourite genre has been open world games a la Assassin's Creed and infamous.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#44  Edited By elyk247

Fighting Games and Platformers. I like RPG from Chrono Trigger backwards, but I can't handle the newer titles, except Mass Effect and the Bethesda titles.

Really the only genre I don't like is SImulators, they are pretty boring.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By falserelic

@imsh_pl said:

My recent favourite genre has been open world games a la Assassin's Creed and infamous.

I love the first infamous. I didn't like the second one as much but it was still a good game.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeanFoster

@DoctorDanger99: Yeah...I guess I've been playing a little too much of The Witcher, haha.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@SeanFoster: that made me shoot beer outta my nose.well played sir,well played.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thomasnash

It's interesting to see all the different views on what makes an RPG in this thread...

I would also have to say RPG, partly for all the reasons that people listed here, but it's mostly because I love getting to grips with systems in a game, and RPGs are great from that because so many of their systems are open to view. I think a certain type of person probably gets the same sort of pleasure from RTS games, with min/maxing build orders and stuff. I'd be lying if I said I didn't min/max occasionally but the best RPGs are ones where getting to grips with it means more than just figuring out the path of least resistance, it's about being able to decide how you want to play a game and then work out the best possible way to do that.

I guess the knock-on effect is to say that I like RPGs because this quality in them means they have inherent replay value (to an extent) and when I was growing up and I couldn't get a huge number of games, that was important.

There's a whole raft of other reasons as well though, mostly that people have mentioned. If Baldur's Gate II had just come out I might say that no other genre does story like an RPG, but these days that's probably less true than in the 90s. It would be a bit untrue to say that was my main reason for loving them, because the stories are just as often crappy as any other genre, and when I think about how much I've enjoyed Dragon's Dogma I realised that the story can't have had any hand in most of that.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By StarvingGamer

Fighting games because I'm a mechanics guy at the core.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By sjschmidt93

I think if I were to list my top 5 favorite games it would be 5 different genres, to be honest.

But if I had to pick one I guess 2D platformer.