What will be the next best MMORPG after WoW?

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By btman

WoW has been pretty dominant in this gaming area.  Just wondering if theres any speculation on the next good MMO

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By schizogony

Well, there's best and there's successful. WoW is the most successful but it's not the best. 

I think Final Fantasy XIV will be the best but The Old Republic will be the most successful.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brockly46

after WoW?

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Sh4ft3d

Guild Wars 2, without a question.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think another MMO will ever reach the level of WoW's success. Future MMOs will just be more moderate successes.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kishan6

I think it will be something along the lines of planetside which i thought was amazing 
it was ahead of its time but the gaming landscape has evolved and i think that everyone is much more into the shooter scene than they were in 2004

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

The next one Blizzard makes? Maybe? Actually, i doubt that. 

I think the next game that will succeed WoW will be no longer an MMO, and something more. Some kinda major leap in gaming/MMO/internets or something. Kinda like how WoW was. 

I don't see FFXIV or The Old Republic being quite as popular as WoW. I just can't see the majority of WoW players getting into them.
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schizogony

There is no doubt in my mind that Blizzard is working on a WoW sequel right now, so probably that.

SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SilentCommando
@Sh4ft3d said:
" Guild Wars 2, without a question. "
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By schizogony
@Shirogane said:
 I don't see FFXIV or The Old Republic being quite as popular as WoW. I just can't see the majority of WoW players getting into them. "
Yeah, that's kinda the problem. WoW users probably don't want to move onto anything other than another super easy, solo-friendly fantasy experience, as tired and played out as that is. 

WoW 2 is what will dethrone WoW.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Trilogy

My money is on blizzard's secret MMO being free to play with micro transactions. If I'm right, you can count on it being very successful since it caters to the casual/mainstream gaming market.

@schizogony said:

" Yeah, that's kinda the problem. WoW users probably don't want to move onto anything other than another super easy, solo-friendly fantasy experience, as tired and played out as that is.  WoW 2 is what will dethrone WoW. "

Blizzard has specifically said that the mmo they are currently working on has nothing to do with world of warcraft. That doesn't mean they don't have WoW 2 in mind but it's a long ways off at this point.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

Blizzards next MMO will top world of warcraft.  simple as that... only people that can make a better game than blizzard is blizzard themselves.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NathHaw

It will probably be something by Blizzard.  They are just too good at what they do.  I'm interested in Final Fantasy and The Old Republic though.  Those games will probably be pretty good.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By schizogony
@Trilogy said:
" My money is on blizzard's secret MMO being free to play with micro transactions. If I'm right, you can count on it being very successful since it caters to the casual/mainstream gaming market.

@schizogony said:
" Yeah, that's kinda the problem. WoW users probably don't want to move onto anything other than another super easy, solo-friendly fantasy experience, as tired and played out as that is.  WoW 2 is what will dethrone WoW. "
Blizzard has specifically said that the mmo they are currently working on has nothing to do with world of warcraft. "
That is absolutely WONDERFUL to hear. WoW has got  THE MOST unappealing aesthetic I've ever seen. I've tried the trial three separate times and never subscribe because I just HATE the art direction. HATE! 

Though, you know what? It probably will be some more tired-ass fantasy stuff, just not Warcraft lore. I'll take my tired-ass fantasy in the form of Square Enix's FINAL Fantasy when it comes to my next MMO a-thank-you-very-much.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane
@Trilogy:
Lost Vikings Online?!! 

For some reason that reminds me of Maple Story...urgh.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

WoW2. All the wow sheep are addicts for life. 

That's like asking what drug baseheads will abandon crack for. The only answer could possibly be Crack 2.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@schizogony said:
" There is no doubt in my mind that Blizzard is working on a WoW sequel right now, so probably that. "
They're not working on a sequel, but I think it's been heavily rumored, if not confirmed, that they're working on another MMO that won't compete with WoW. How they'll pull that off? No clue, but say what will: Blizzard knows what they are doing.  

Anywho, I think SWTOR is the next big mmo and I actually think it has a shot at 'taking the crown.'  However, I don't think anyone is sure how instanced this game is. All the misions they've shown look really fun, but also don't seem possible if you have 1000 other people running around. If this game is too instanced I think that will be a major setback. There's very little information about this game which has me scared because I want to play it but I don't want it to suck.

GW2 is a little iffy for me. It sounds great in concept, but all this new stuff they're trying might backfire, but we'll see. The first GW was nothing but a smash hit so heck they might just pull it off. 

TERA had me excited for a while, but now they're just annoying the crap out of me. They keep talking about all the so-called 'talent' they're bringing to the dev team, but they have yet to answer a single question we couldn't already guess from the trailers. Plus, when they do reveal anything, it all sounds like another generic Korean mmo. Plus they want to charge a monthly fee? Good luck trying to pull that with all the heavy hitters in 2010,  

APB had me excited...until I played it. No way that game is gonna make it a few months without MAJOR changes to it's pricing structure.  

FF14 is another one that sounds great in concept, but no one is sure if it succeeds in it's execution. Their class system just sounds off to me, but again we'll just have to wait and see.
darkivn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darkivn
@MrKlorox said:
" WoW2. All the wow sheep are addicts for life.  

Without a doubt.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @schizogony said:
" There is no doubt in my mind that Blizzard is working on a WoW sequel right now, so probably that. "
They're not working on a sequel, but I think it's been heavily rumored, if not confirmed, that they're working on another MMO that won't compete with WoW. How they'll pull that off? No clue, but say what will: Blizzard knows what they are doing.  

Anywho, I think SWTOR is the next big mmo and I actually think it has a shot at 'taking the crown.'  However, I don't think anyone is sure how instanced this game is. All the misions they've shown look really fun, but also don't seem possible if you have 1000 other people running around. If this game is too instanced I think that will be a major setback. There's very little information about this game which has me scared because I want to play it but I don't want it to suck.GW2 is a little iffy for me. It sounds great in concept, but all this new stuff they're trying might backfire, but we'll see. The first GW was nothing but a smash hit so heck they might just pull it off. TERA had me excited for a while, but now they're just annoying the crap out of me. They keep talking about all the so-called 'talent' they're bringing to the dev team, but they have yet to answer a single question we couldn't already guess from the trailers. Plus, when they do reveal anything, it all sounds like another generic Korean mmo. Plus they want to charge a monthly fee? Good luck trying to pull that with all the heavy hitters in 2010,  APB had me excited...until I played it. No way that game is gonna make it a few months without MAJOR changes to it's pricing structure.  FF14 is another one that sounds great in concept, but no one is sure if it succeeds in it's execution. Their class system just sounds off to me, but again we'll just have to wait and see. "
APB was supposed to be free wasn't it?  

It seems it was like something they had free then looked at their costs was like " O SHIT" then made up that insane pricing. 
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Three0neFive
@schizogony said: 

Yeah, that's kinda the problem. WoW users probably don't want to move onto anything other than another super easy, solo-friendly fantasy experience, as tired and played out as that is. "

Wait, what?
Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jasonofindy
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" I don't think another MMO will ever reach the level of WoW's success. Future MMOs will just be more moderate successes. "
While you may be right, predictions like this can be tough.  I can guarantee there was a time that no one thought an MMO could be more successful than Everquest and then it happened.  WoW is a juggernaut but as broadband penetration continues to increase and as the third generation of gamers (and largest so far) reaches adulthood over the next several years I could definitely see an even bigger breakout hit. 
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By schizogony

Guild Wars 2 will probably be so reliant on an item mall that it will implode under its own expensiveness early on. NCSoft sucks.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Trilogy
@MrKlorox said:
" WoW2. All the wow sheep are addicts for life.   That's like asking what drug baseheads will abandon crack for. The only answer could possibly be Crack 2. "
Just like everquest... oh wait...
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By RIDEBIRD
@schizogony said: 

That is absolutely WONDERFUL to hear. WoW has got  THE MOST unappealing aesthetic I've ever seen. I've tried the trial three separate times and never subscribe because I just HATE the art direction. HATE!  Though, you know what? It probably will be some more tired-ass fantasy stuff, just not Warcraft lore. I'll take my tired-ass fantasy in the form of Square Enix's FINAL Fantasy when it comes to my next MMO a-thank-you-very-much. "

Yeah, okay. Look, here's how it is: 

You like catgirls and spiky hair. I like big green spacemonsters with axes. We're both ridiculous. We do not have a similar tastes.  That's it really. 

The next extremely successful game will be Blizzard's next. ToR might be a semi-hit with 1-2 million subscribers. The next best game though, I'm not sure. WoW is extremely hard to trumph, as it's constantly evolved to be even better and better. You might call us sheep or whatever, fine, but the game IS and always have been REALLY good. But sure, you get tired of it. Then you take breaks. And come back. As I've done since release. 

I think Guild Wars 2 will be quite well made. I hated the first one though, and one can argue (erhmm) that it wasn't a MMO at all. ToR looks good. FFXIV looks grindy as hell, closed in, instanced and boring. It will captivate the XI audience and might impress a few others, but I doubt it will be massively different or better. APB is pure shit (yes, I've played it).  

I think that the next MMO Blizzard releases, unless it's waaaay too casual and without any epic story/raiding, it will be the best MMO ever made, and quite possibly one of the best games ever. Seeing how they evolved WoW from being a timehogging, frustrating (while sort of rewarding) experience, to the sleek and extremely well crafted masterpiece it is today (fuck the Wrath-haters, y'all crazy, you can still do superhard shit 8 hours a day, it's called heroic *insert raid*/hardmodes, it's just that it has opened up for us less skilled), one can only imagine how good it will be.
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mesklinite

Guildwars 2.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@The_Laughing_Man: Yep. I honestly think this game will lose more money now than if it was free. They should have released the game for $50 or w/e then opened up a cash shop that sold only special clothes or cars accessories or something. The game is already unbalanced as it is, but now they want us to pay monthly as well? No thanks.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
@Trilogy said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" WoW2. All the wow sheep are addicts for life.   That's like asking what drug baseheads will abandon crack for. The only answer could possibly be Crack 2. "

Just like everquest... oh wait... "
Wow is a super refined EQ. If Wow is crack, EQ is mere cocaine. I don't know how one could refine Wow enough to steal all the Blizzard brand allied who have spent thousands in sub fees for one game. Slapping on a new coat of paint and hanging a 2 by the title would probably be the only way to re-funnel that revenue, but it would just be into another pocket on the same pair of pants.
Avatar image for doctorpineapple
DoctorPineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorPineapple
@Sh4ft3d said:
" Guild Wars 2, without a question. "
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brunchies

Blizzards next fantasy MMO most likely WoW 2, they won't get into the old republic or Final Fantasy XIV.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Trilogy
@MrKlorox said:
" @Trilogy said:

" @MrKlorox said:

Just like everquest... oh wait... "
Wow is a super refined EQ. If Wow is crack, EQ is mere cocaine. I don't know how one could refine Wow enough to steal all the Blizzard brand allied who have spent thousands in sub fees for one game. Slapping on a new coat of paint and hanging a 2 by the title would probably be the only way to re-funnel that revenue, but it would just be into another pocket on the same pair of pants. "
Or maybe the experience doesn't need to be refined in the same way that WoW did it. Maybe the WoW playerbase will grow tired of the fantasy setting and want a new one. Or maybe not. Maybe WoW 2 will be the only thing that pulls people away from WoW. Time will tell.

By the way, your theory on addiction is bogus. I quit WoW and I'm not going back. *scratches arm feverishly* Unless of course you're just being a smart ass...in that case, carry on. On the other hand, your theory on money and time investment leading to the playerbase sticking with WoW is completely valid. It's why I think it's going to be a long time before we see a WoW 2.

Think about it. Why make a whole new game when you can keep pumping out these expansions. There's no point in splitting your playerbase unless your playerbase is dying and you need to revitalize it. Also, WoW is a casual friendly MMO so you won't be seeing a huge overhaul in graphical power anytime soon. There's a reason WoW is so popular. Almost anyone with a computer that wasn't made in the stone ages can play it.

This is all speculation of course.
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uniform

Way too far into the future to give any serious answer. World of Warcraft will still be successful, heck, probably remaining top dog for many years ahead. Run out of lore? Keep making additions to it. Graphics dated? Just keep adding minor improvements with future expansions, as they have done. WoW is not going anywhere for a long time. The new Blizzard MMO is supposedly vastly different, they've said it's not supposed to be anything like a WoW successor. Why would they want to create something that draws away from a game that still has no trouble lining their pockets? If you're a current or former WoW player, bored, and salivating at the thought of something to take over, my advise would be to not hold your breath.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Star Track.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By demonbear
@Brockly46 said:
" after WoW? "
After WoW, the universe will cease to exist.
SoftButtCheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SoftButtCheeks

WoW 2 is the correct answer

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArcLyte

the Warhammer 40,000 MMO being developed by Vigil.
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#36  Edited By tearhead
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers