What yet to be released RPG(s) are you looking forward to the most in 2018?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By MocBucket62

Poll What yet to be released RPG(s) are you looking forward to the most in 2018? (177 votes)

Kingdom Hearts 3 20%
Octopath Traveler 33%
Indivisible 8%
Ni No Kuni II: Reverant Kingdom 33%
Vampyr 22%
Darksiders III 14%
Biomutant 8%
Code Vein 6%
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire 25%
Dauntless 2%
Greedfall 1%
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet 0%
Ashen 2%
The Swords of Ditto 2%
Project Pheonix 1%
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG 1%
Dead in Vinland 0%
Rainbow Skies 1%
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin 1%
Long Gone Days 1%
Shenmue III? (If its coming out this year) 8%
That Rumored Pokemon game on Switch if its a 2018 game 24%
Other 15%

2018 is turning out to be a major year for RPGs. Monster Hunter World came out back in January and has become a major hit for Capcom as it sold over 7.5 million copies worldwide and most people are praising it for turning a franchise that was formally not newcomer friendly into something more accessible. Its not the only major RPG coming out this year as this is looking to be about as big of a year for the genre as 2017 ended up being (Persona 5, Nier Automata, Horizon ZD, etc). Anyways, I made this poll asking y'all what upcoming RPGs are you looking forward to the most this year? Mine is definitely Octopath Traveler. I never played any of the SNES Final Fantasy games or really any SNES RPG, but this looks like a sweet love letter to that era for the genre while adding a lot of neat features to spice things up. Having 2 different jobs during battle, choosing 8 different characters who have unique stories and actions on the world map and the gorgeous visuals and wonderful music. Octopath Traveler is definitely my most anticipated RPG and Switch title of the year.

• 
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Pillars 2 and SMT Strange Journey Redux

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Isn't Fatal Bullet already out?

Anyway my top 3 are Octopath, Pokemon Switch and Fire Emblem 2018.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fezrock

I don't pay as much attention to upcoming games as I used to, so I'm not familiar with around half the games in the poll. But of the ones I do know about, it's definitely Vampyr.

I haven't seen any gamplay, but it's a got a cool-sounding premise and I trust Dontnod after Life Is Strange. I'm really hoping it's a modern Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (albeit, set in 1918).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Octopath Traveler. I played the demo and loved it and it looks like they're making some great improvements before release.

I've been playing Ni No Kuni and I'll probably get its sequel later this year. Not at release, though.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's gotta be Pillars 2 for me - Obsidian are my favourite developer - though I am really curious about Vampyr--I loved Life Is Strange, so I'm intrigued by the idea of a full-on RPG from dontnod.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pillars 2 for sure, the first became one of my all time favorites.

Not sure anything else on this list speaks to me right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still waiting for the PC port of Ys VIII.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Ni No Kuni 2 and Vampyr. That's it.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slasktotten
No Caption Provided

Does the new Battletech count as an "rpg"? I reckon Harebrained Schemes have been on a roll lately and man, mechs, mechs mechs!

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattGiersoni

I only have a PS4 and a crappy PC so I'm most excited about Pillars 2 and Ni No Kuni 2. I absolutely loved the first installments of both series. I'm really happy you can import a save from Pillars 1 and have your choices carry over. Larian has been teasing some stuff in the last few months so I also might double dip for a console version of Divinity Original Sin 2, which was my GOTY 2017. If not a console version, then perhaps an expansion. Oh, and I'm also very excited about Neverwinter Nights enhanced edition. It's been a long time since I played it, but I have fond memories of it.

2017 was a very good year for RPGs or games with RPG elements and 2018 is shaping up to be as good. Omensight and Ooblets are 2 indie games I'm super hyped about for 2018, too. They aren't exactly hardcore rpgs, more like games with RPG elements, but I think it's fair to include it here. The former is an action RPG-like game from the makers of Stories: The Path of Destinies and the latter is a stardew valley/pokemon/animal crossing mix game that's been in development for years and I believe it is made by only 2 people. (Double Fine picked it up for publishing I think). Super hyped for both!

As for already released stuff, I've been slowly savoring Monster Hunter, about 40 hours in, probably 3/4th through the main story (finally unlocked the absolutely last area I believe, just a few high-rank quests left). It's my first MH game and I love it. Probably gonna be one of those "infinite" type games for me. Games that I slowly play through, picking them up from time to time, to do a hunt here and there.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Other: MLB The Show 18

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much on that list I'm super hyped about compared to last year's amazing options. Even Kingdom Hearts 3, despite still being a fan of the series, simply because it still doesn't feel like it's coming out this year. I did enjoy Ni no Kuni a lot, and will almost certainly play the sequel, but for whatever reason I haven't gotten fully onboard the hype train yet. And Indivisible seems cool from that demo I played like several years ago, but I've heard nothing about it since, so it's hard to get too hyped.

I haven't even heard of like a third of those games though, so maybe I just missed stuff somehow. Unless it's because they're PC or Switch games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Pretty excited for Pillars of Eternity 2. The first game remains my “favorite” of the Kickstarter RPG revivals, and I trust Obsidian to be able to nail the writing side of things.

Not on this list is Pathfinder: Kingmaker, which is the first game to try and adapt the bolted-together leviathan that is the Pathfinder ruleset into a CRPG format (while also adapting one of its most well-liked modules.) It’s being made by a Russian team, so it could very well be a janky mess, but Chris Avellone is the lead writer and having a computer deal with all of Pathfinder’s many, many numbers sounds good.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Pillars of Eternity 2 is at the top of the heap for me, followed by Vampyr, Indivisible, and Octopath Traveler.

Here are a couple unlisted 2018 RPGs that I'm also interested in:

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pillars 2 is definitely the biggest game of the year for me. Disco Eylsium (previously No Truce for the Furies) looks super weird in a way I am into. It almost has a Zenoclash dreamlike quality to it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking forward to seeing how shenmue turns out, good or bad.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't have much faith in it being good, considering Cyanide's track record, but I'm looking forward to the Call of Cthulu game more than anything else on that list. It's not a lock for this year, but if Shenmue counts then CoC does too.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Neurogia

Looking forward to how Dauntless copes and adapts now that Monster Hunter World is going to come out on PC before they can get out of beta. lol

Furthermore, the logo for Phoenix Labs has exactly the same silhouette as Xeno Jiiva's monster icon. So, who copied who?

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I forgot, there's an interview with Todd Howard from Bethesda Game Studios (Fallout and TES devs, not the publisher) and he hints at some stuff in their new game. So if this comes out this year, I will drop everything and just play that. Don't care if it's TES 6 or F5 (doubt it's either) or the rumoured new game Starfield (open world rpg type thing similar to TES and Fallout but sci-fi). Don't care what it is, just give me. Yes, their games have flaws, but they are still my favorite dev and make games unlike any other and I've put in thousands of hours into both TES and Fallout games!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O man I keep forgetting Vampyr.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I get that Cyberpunk 2077 isn't confirmed for 2018 but if a rumored Pokemon game is on this list, so should that. It's currently my most anticipated RPG, and I'm probably not alone ;)

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ni No Kuni is the only major thing really (unless you lump Valkyria Chronicles 4 in), unless a new Bethesda rpg or Dragon Quest XI show up before the end of the year. Indivisible (will it really make this year?) and Sakuna look interersting too.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkyria Chronicles 4 and that's about it. After 2017's bounty of JRPGs, things are looking pretty dire this year.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk 2077 probably won't be a 2018 release but it's easily the RPG that interests me the most.

I don't like to get excited for games until they're basically released, but the concept of this game sounds very cool. A Blade Runner-esque sci-fi game, with similar RPG elements to The Witcher 3. On paper, my perfect game.

However, this is all speculation, and it's more likely that the game will fail to meet expectations than surpass them.

I blame EA for my pessimism.

Other than that, Pillars of Eternity 2 is the only game in the poll that I would play. I liked the first one, but never finished it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Nodima

Kingdom Hearts III is the only game on the horizon I really have my eye on, and primarily because A) it's ben in development for so long, B) the series from the outside looking in seems to have gone completely batshit crazy and C) Kingdom Hearts II was one of my very favorite PS2 games from a gameplay perspective and I'd be very curious to see if I would feel that way about either that game or a sequel to it in 2018. No No Kuni II and Octopath Traveler interest me in their own ways but I just struggle to fit straight up JRPGs into my life any more. The last one I played was...goddamn, it might've been FFXII back in 2006!

Even dropping the Japan part out of the equation, or straight up, The Witcher 3 would've been the first RPG I played in a while. I suppose Bloodborne right now counts; I have to say I sort of look at both of those games as narrative / character action games with RPG elements, though. To me an RPG will always be team-based battle systems at heart.