• 136 results
hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By hwy_61

I'm not trying to troll, I just want to know why Brad is so bad during QLs? In the Ico/SoTC QL, it almost seemed like Ryan at any moment was gonna be like, "GODDAMMIT BRAD GIVE ME THE FUCKING CONTROLLER." I think where Brad tends to shine is in the passenger seat, just because he's always got super interesting questions about the game, ect. What are your thoughts?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

Maybe he's just b(r)ad. ahahahaaaahaaa..

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thaijedi

Adds value to being a member, I like it when he pulls Brads

Avatar image for washablemarkers
washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By washablemarkers

It's more difficult to talk intelligently about a game while playing it than you may think. Try it at home!

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hwy_61

@thaijedi said:

Adds value to being a member, I like it when he pulls Brads

haha, I suppose. My wife was giving me weird looks, because I was yelling at my TV, "Oh my GOD, BRAD, STAB HIM ALREADY, ST-ARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!"

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hwy_61

@washablemarkers said:

It's more difficult to talk intelligently about a game while playing it than you may think. Try it at home!

It's not that so much that as him taking so long to react to things. Remember the Dante's Inferno? JUMP JUMP JUMP!!!!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CptBedlam

Are these threads really necessary? I think a fewhundred comments full of rage are kind of enough.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe
@CptBedlam said:

Are these threads really necessary? I think a fewhundred comments full of rage are kind of enough.

I would agree. It's been said before but it's difficult to talk and play at the same time. It wouldn't hurt for them to brush up for a few minutes before a quick look to cover some basic mechanical stuff like the grip meter in SotC, but I'm honestly not too bothered by it.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The fuck you say about Brad?!?!?! I'm gonna break your legs! (joke)

Avatar image for deactivated-64d26467db8de
deactivated-64d26467db8de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've always liked Brad in QLs. I'm even listening to the BR endurance run of Premonition now. I think I even like it more than the Jeff Vinny one.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hwy_61

@benjaebesaid:

@CptBedlam said:

I would agree. It's been said before but it's difficult to talk and play at the same time. It wouldn't hurt for them to brush up for a few minutes before a quick look to cover some basic mechanical stuff like the grip meter in SotC, but I'm honestly not too bothered by it.

That's a great idea!

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ventilaator
@benjaebe said:

@CptBedlam said:

Yup, playing and talking is hard. For everyone. That's why tne phrase is "Pulling a Brad" and not "Pulling a guy who tries to film while playing", and that's why the community is constantly whining about Brad and not any other member of the staff.

Because everyone sucks at it. All the time always.
Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Catarrhal

Just be glad it's not Stephen Totilo doing Quick Looks; now there is a journalist who really can't play video games. Seriously, anyone else remember his battle with Soulja Boy? Arguably the most embarrassing moment in the history of video game journalism.

As far as this Shadow of the Colossus debacle is concerned, however, "let the record show" that Ryan Davis was giving him bad advice. Never put your sword away while climbing that ass; it will only slow you down that much more.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Branthog

You must be new here.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Buscemi

This is a truth about Brad you will come to learn.   
Brad's the man, man!
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By daiphyer

I think the excuse "Talking and playing is hard" has been milked to death. Look, I love Brad, but other than Mortal Kombat, he's slow. It's like there is a lag between when he wants to do things and when he does it. It's gotten really difficult for me to watch the recent quick looks because of how bad he is.  
Having said that, if you watch playing now in Gamespot, they had one for Ico/SOTC and I believe Ryan McDonald was playing. He ran around in that starting area in Ico for like 5 minutes. Again, I really like the guy, but it's like they're not even paying any attention to the game.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hwy_61

@Titus said:

LOL. Right on point. I think some of the commenters above are missing exactly this.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By benjaebe
@Ventilaator said:
@benjaebe said:
@CptBedlam said:

Yup, playing and talking is hard. For everyone. That's why tne phrase is "Pulling a Brad" and not "Pulling a guy who tries to film while playing", and that's why the community is contantly whining about Brad and not any other member of the staff.  Because everyone sucks at it. All the time always.
It's harder for some people than others, yeah, and it's easy to get flustered. Like I said, it wouldn't hurt for them to brush up on basic mechanics before they film a quick look so we don't run into so glaring an issue like in the ICO/SotC collection, but sometimes they probably have to go in cold.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

He was created to die for our entertainment

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowshi

I don't think it's too ridiculous to get annoyed when he goes, "Now I remember just how frustrating this game can be", because he's blaming the game for his own shortcomings.  People who haven't played the game will come out of that Quick Look with the impression that it s an old game not worth playing because the controls are old and clumsy, when in fact, it should take someone no longer than five minutes to fully grasp the grip meter.   

I understand that it's hard to play a game and talk at the same time, but it's not like he's never played it before.  He fucking reviewed it on GameSpot.   

It all just seemed silly.   

Though, in the interest of fairness, I must admit it is humorous watching Brad be bad at games when it's not one that I personally care about.  Maybe that's the issue. :p

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quacktastic
@elsuperdonut said:

@washablemarkers said:

It's not that so much that as him taking so long to react to things. Remember the Dante's Inferno? JUMP JUMP JUMP!!!!

That's exactly what it is.  Seriously, try it.  Games get really hard if you are trying to talk to to people at the same time.
Once MGS4 was out for a couple of months I had beat it a few times and unlocked all of the hard stuff and beat it on the hardest mode without getting spotted and all of that crazy stuff.   Then I brought the game to someone who wanted to see it and played it in front of about six people.  We were talking and casually passing the controller and I couldn't get past the first screen.
deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deanoxd

@Daiphyer said:

I think the excuse "Talking and playing is hard" has been milked to death. Look, I love Brad, but other than Mortal Kombat, he's slow. It's like there is a lag between when he wants to do things and when he does it. It's gotten really difficult for me to watch the recent quick looks because of how bad he is. Having said that, if you watch playing now in Gamespot, they had one for Ico/SOTC and I believe Ryan McDonald was playing. He ran around in that starting area in Ico for like 5 minutes. Again, I really like the guy, but it's like they're not even paying any attention to the game.

and this is a real issue for you? i ask because i am trying to understand why every time one of these threads comes up that anyone really cares. so what if he or any other staff member plays poorly or incorrectly (as you deem it) during a QL WTF does it matter. but if this stuff really bothers some people just stop watching. they are video games they are supposed to be fun. and the best part of QL's is the conversation between whom ever is on the QL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeanoXD said:

@Daiphyer said:

I think the excuse "Talking and playing is hard" has been milked to death. Look, I love Brad, but other than Mortal Kombat, he's slow. It's like there is a lag between when he wants to do things and when he does it. It's gotten really difficult for me to watch the recent quick looks because of how bad he is. Having said that, if you watch playing now in Gamespot, they had one for Ico/SOTC and I believe Ryan McDonald was playing. He ran around in that starting area in Ico for like 5 minutes. Again, I really like the guy, but it's like they're not even paying any attention to the game.

and this is a real issue for you? i ask because i am trying to understand why every time one of these threads comes up that anyone really cares. so what if he or any other staff member plays poorly or incorrectly (as you deem it) during a QL WTF does it matter. but if this stuff really bothers some people just stop watching. they are video games they are supposed to be fun. and the best part of QL's is the conversation between whom ever is on the QL.

Because they start blaming the games for their half-wittedness.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Buscemi
@Khann: Brad can't be wrong, it's always the game's fault, didn't you know? We must revere them as gods before we can join them in the next life.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowshi
@DeanoXD said:

@Daiphyer said:

Well, think about it.  How many people were considering buying SOTC before watching the Quick Look?   

It isn't some massively popular game that will sell millions regardless of what anyone says about it.  It's a smaller game that doesn't really deserve to be misrepresented on a video that the entire community will see.  During the end, Brad starts blaming the game for something that is entirely his fault.  If I had never played SOTC and watched that Quick Look, I would have just written it off as not worth my time.   

Of course I would have been wrong.  
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daiphyer
@DeanoXD: Because some of us watch the quick looks to decide whether or not we should get the game; and when he keeps dying over and over or barely getting past a segment just makes the game look bad. I came out of watching that QL with the same exact feeling that someone posted here, that this game is dated and I probably shouldn't get it.  
And even if you are watching for fun, what fun is it to watch someone die in the same segment over and over again? I can understand if you are drinking and watching, I am assuming it's hilarious then, but other than that, I can't think of a reason why it's fun to see someone struggle. 
As for the conversations, I can listen to 2 and half hour of their conversations in the Bombcast, I come to QLs for the games.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sooty

I always found it strange that Brad plays StarCraft at a decent level but fails so hard at some of these games in QLs.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I think the people who bitch and moan about Brad should be rounded up and deserted on an island somewhere. They're annoying as fuck.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I don't mind him making mistakes, I realize that speaking while playing is not easy, but the least he could do is quick-play the parts he's gonna play in the QL before recording, just so he wouldn't keep messing up. 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nail1080

People wonder why is Brad decent at complex games like StarCraft yet he is often kinda poor when he plays a brand new game for the first time. Well the answer to this great puzzle is pretty obvious. It's called being 'human'....sometimes it takes certain people (me included) a bit longer than others to learn or get how to do new things. However, although the initial learning period can take a bit longer than certain other people, I feel that once I get the hang of the new thing I've learned I can excel at it.  

This clearly goes for Brad and, this, combined with the fact that he is talking and playing and is aware of the fact that 100s of people will be judging him can lead to simple mistakes. The minority of the GB community that whine about this every video should really just give it up at this stage.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By mikemcn

When it comes down to it, Brad is the best at most of the games GB covers, in TNTs and in lower pressure situations he does grest, he was the first to beat that bastion arena thing for a reason, and he didnt get as good as he did In Starcraft by chance, and don't forget that he was the guy picked to play through Super Meat Boy for review. I suppose your right about him being good as a passenger in QLs, but he always been the best interviewer on the staff.

Actually, forget all that, Fuck all you haters, Brad quick looks 4 life. Hes awesome, you all deny it, but its true!

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jumanji

I think Brad just has a bit of ADD. In the Fighting Words QL EX, he states at the end of the video that, after twenty minutes of playing, he finally realized that the letters had varying values like in Scrabble. Clearly the solution is a communal Adderall basket in the Whiskey Media office. Then they'd REALLY be a bay-area tech startup....

MarxMygdala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MarxMygdala

I don't really understand how you can forget the mechanics of SotC. 

Particularly if you're the man who reviewed it for GameSpot.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jams

@Mikemcn said:

When it comes down to it, Brad is the best at most of the games GB covers, in TNTs and in lower pressure situations he does grest, he was the first to beat that bastion arena thing for a reason, and he didnt get as good as he did In Starcraft by chance, and don't forget that he was the guy picked to play through Super Meat Boy for review. I suppose your right about him being good as a passenger in QLs, but he always been the best interviewer on the staff. Actually, forget all that, Fuck all you haters, Brad quick looks 4 life. Hes awesome, you all deny it, but its true!

Pretty much this. Although I was getting a little frustrated when they couldn't remember there was a stamina drain. Especially since he reviewed the game. I haven't played the game since it released and I ended up remember what that pink circle was after he started climbing. I figure he's just not good on the spot in front of cameras while talking. Because we all know he can be a really good gamer, what with Star Craft, Bastion and Super Meat Boy.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@benjaebe said:

@CptBedlam said:

I'm with this guy. It wouldn't hurt to do a quick refresher before they start recording, but I find it fun watching either way. My only real problem is how angry people get. I know you love Giant Bomb and all people, but some of you need to calm down.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By 234r2we232

Brad's passenger seat questions: 

I'd like to see this on a PC...

I don't know anything about these games...  they're not very good.

I play a lot of Starcraft 2 and...

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kashif1

Sotc had an odd control scheme, Brad generally sucks on camera anyway.  of course it would end badly

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dagas

I don't mind him dying, but it made SotC look way worse than it is and it's just frustrating to watch him not figure it out, it's not a hate kind of feeling more like a sad kind of feeling, like the feeling a teacher must have when a student fails on the same thing again and again and never learn.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

What's up with people overreacting?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cheesebob

I do find it hilarious that in pretty much every Quick look with brad in it, he either dies, fails or loses in some way

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FateOfNever

I miss hearing the phrase "Pulling a Brad." That's really all I have to offer to this discussion, because as annoying as it may be to watch Brad get hit by a giant club three or four times in a row, or being confused about what to do, it's also mildly amusing, and I know he's not that bad all the time. Maybe he just hasn't been in the driver seat of Quick Looks often enough lately. I know there was a time when he had gotten better at doing QLs because the phrase Pulling a Brad kind of died off, which really only would have happened because he was no longer dying constantly in QLs. Anyway, apparently I did have more to offer to this discussion.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By huntad

Leave him alone. You guys act like there isn't anywhere else you could look for information on these two games. If you don't like what he's doing, which I did not, then go somewhere else and read a review. I do understand though that playing a game that you haven't played in years on camera can make someone a bit flustered.

Give him a break!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mikemcn

@rebgav said:

@Jams said:

we all know he can be a really good gamer, what with Star Craft, Bastion and Super Meat Boy.

You seem to be saying that Brad is best at games which reward rote memorization and the persistence to bang your head against a problem until the solution presents itself.

Thats like 90 percent of videogames, if most people here could utilize actual skill in anything, we wouldn't be wasting our time on some random internet forum.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Cheesebob said:

I do find it hilarious that in pretty much every Quick look with brad in it, he either dies, fails or loses in some way

And blames the game, someone or something else for it more than half of the time. The most recent Quick Look, for example: 

"I just went through the entire quick look not realizing that the letters were weighted." -Brad
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bybeach

PrivateIronTFU said; "I think the people who bitch and moan about Brad should be rounded up and deserted on an island somewhere. They're annoying as fuck."...............I agree, and make sure there is that meme of brad on a standing peice of carboard they can throw coconuts at. It'll keep them from immediatly turning on themselves.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By striderno9

I like when Brad does QLs, he dies a lot, it's funny.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jewunit

It's difficult to play a game and talk at the same time.  When my concentration on a game dips, I am almost certain to screw up or die.  It's one of the reasons why a Quick Look requires two people.  One person needs to play.  The other person needs to explain the game or commentate. 

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GaspoweR

It was kinda refreshing seeing Brad play in the Quake 3 Arena TNT since unlike in the Quick Looks, he was absolutely on fire during that TNT. He was pretty deadly with just about any weapon he got in that TNT.

Well, in Quick Looks he just returns to being the regular Brad.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deanoxd

sorry but nothing any of you who directly responded to me makes any sense, because you watch a QL to see if a game is worth it, but if someone besides you plays it badly the game is tainted somehow? so what if the QL puts you off but the review is 5/5 then what? i thinks its silly to base so much of your opinion of game on how Brad does in a QL. hell i have watched every staff member do things in QL's that have made me shake my head but thats as far as it goes.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By valiantgoat

Pointless