What's your best unexpected buy of 2009?

• 52 results
Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Farley_Lives

Sure we have been waiting for most of these great games to come out this season, most of which have pleased the likes of us. But there were those Impulse buys or bargin bin deals that snuck up on us, which in some really great ways brought us unexpected joy. SO, what was the game that caught you by surprise this year?

For me it was Plants vs. Zombies, never thought i would own a pop cap game ever. But after seeing in on CO-OP I just went and bought it on steam without really thinking about it, (many of impulse buys of mine come from steam.) For $10 I felt I got my money's worth 3-times over and really enjoyed the game.

Natedog24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Natedog24

Easily Demon Souls for me....

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Spectromancer. I've spent more time on that game than all of my higher profile titles combined. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Dragon Age.

Wasn't all that interested because of the graphics, but it turned out to be a really enjoyable experience.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

god of war collection, i didn't even know it was coming out. i bought it and it is great. the game only cost $40 and came with god of war 1, 2 and a demo for 3. they upgraded the graphics and added trophies.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By RankRabbit

Orange Box for $10 off of Steam. Some promotion they were running one weekend.

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By MrKart

DJ Hero, I was so sick of all of the rhythm games but decided to give the genre one last chance. Very glad I did.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By matthew
Ico for me.  Easily.  Picked it up for 20$ at a STOP for GAMES in near pristine condition.  Controls are slightly off/aged from 9 years ago, but the game is outstanding.
Avatar image for deactivated-59bac4c8db43c
deactivated-59bac4c8db43c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom of Keflings. Addiction has never been fun..ner.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

SMT: Devil Summoner. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I certainly didn't expect to find it when I entered a gamestop earlier this week. Got a great deal on it too, as part of a buy two get one free thing 
@Matthew said:

" Ico for me.  Easily.  Picked it up for 20$ at a STOP for GAMES in near pristine condition.  Controls are slightly off/aged from 9 years ago, but the game is outstanding. "
Picked that up a few weeks ago too on amazon.com. I think it was a little more expensive and the case was trashed, but the box art is fine so I'll just get a new case.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Skald

Left 4 Dead 2. 
I thought it was old hat L4D1 in New Orleans. 
But I've spent more time on L4D2 than MW2, easily.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaunassNZ

THQ pack, but really um QaurtZ was interesting.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Romination

Peggle. I'd heard people talk about it, and just kind of randomly bought it out of nowhere one day. I have since beaten 4 different versions of it and bought it for my computer even.

OlDrtyBstrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OlDrtyBstrd

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
I've always been a fan of Mario rpg's, but I didn't know that this was coming out until the actual day it shipped. So it was an extremely pleasant treat to have an amazing game show up that you had no idea was even in development.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cstrang

Dragon Age: Origins.  I ordered that game as a time filler between Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 (this is only after Dave raving about it).  I didn't expect to still be enjoying it.  It out lasted both Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 (though I did take a good 2 week break from it for Assassin's Creed 2).

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demyx

When I got a new laptop, I pretty much impulsively bought a few games on steam. Mirror's Edge, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Kotor, Saints Row 2.
These are games I didn't plan on every buying.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By imhuntad

Either L4D2 or Dragon Age. Probably Dragon Age.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Dragon age, I had no intention of playing that game until it was cheaper on steam. Everyone kept talking about it and it was one of the best purchase i've made in 2009. Also for the ps3 which I also now have the pc version of batman arkham asylum, there was a deal where batman AA was only $38 the first day it was out. I bought it and it was fun, I later bought a copy on pc for sharper visuals. I also liked infamous, even if I have no intention of playing it again, it was actually fun.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By Wildfire570

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. It was on sale yesterday for $2.50 on Steam and I was very curious about the game.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By rjayb89

Too many to name.  I could say I was surprised by my purchase of both Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves on the same day, where beforehand I wasn't planning on playing either of them.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By angelfan91

Borderlands, Red Faction Guerilla, World of Goo, and Pokemon Platinum
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 1, Madden NFL 10 (just now got into football games, they're pretty fun :O)  and I guess that's it.

Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nock

borderlands

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Capum15

A few, but the best of the best would be Majesty 2. I've found it interesting ever since I saw the Quick Look on it, and the sale Steam had on it made it a must buy.

Easily one of my favorite games.

Others not as awesome but still good: World of Goo, Quantz, THQ pack, Madballs. Yup, everything pretty much from Steam. 

Majesty 2 still kicks their asses.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool

Not a game, but an Xbox 360. 
No RRoD yet, so, so far, so good. 

As for a game - House of Dead: Overkill was the biggest surprise for me.  It exceeded any expectation I had and has been the most fun I have had in a game this year.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By m1k3

Bayonetta... i was going to wait till it gets released in America, but i decided to import it, and i haven't even opened it. So it was an unexpected and bad buy...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust

Torchlight!

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Civ Rev or Arkham Asylum

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By fishmicmuffin
@AgentJ said:

" SMT: Devil Summoner. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I certainly didn't expect to find it when I entered a gamestop earlier this week. Got a great deal on it too, as part of a buy two get one free thing 

SMT: Devil Summoner is an AWESOME game. I guess I'll go ahead and pick that as my biggest surprise this year too. I've beaten it 4 times already and I'm working my way through a fifth. The multiple endings make the game a ton of fun. Building the main character differently is also a bunch of fun. I really recommend it. Just be sure to ALWAYS make Yuki a caster. She DESTROYS everyone late game =]

Also, I'm going to have to mention Batman: AA. That game was a great surprise.
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#30  Edited By tearhead

Noby Noby Boy.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fisher81

Modern Warfare 2.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By pakx

50 Cent 2, bought it mostly as a joke and it ended up on my GOTY list.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunstarRed

'Splosion man.. I had no intention of buying the game until I played the trial... absolutely love that game.
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Siris

Assassin's Creed 2, was not expecting it to be SOOOO much better than the first one. And Left 4 Dead 2.. just bought it last night and I am being blown away by the number of additional gameplay elements added in.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Torchlight.
Came out of no where (at least I don't recall hearing about it), released for cheap and was pure awesome.
I also loved quite a few XBLA games, like 'Splosion Man. 

As for proper big retail releases, I don't think any of them surprised me..  Dragon Age had a terrible marketing campaign, but if you looked past if there was clearly a very strong game behind it.  And again, many people (including myself) were pretty skeptical of Arkham Asylum but as it drew closer to release, it became more and more obvious the gameplay held up just as well as the concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52
deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modern warfare 2
MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MetalR

Batman.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By asurastrike

Assassin's Creed 2, Demon's Souls, or Torchlight.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By moelarrycurly

Batman: Arkham Asylum.  The game wasn't even on my radar until a couple days before it came out.  It got such good reviews that I decided to buy it, and my goodness it was a damn fine game.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bouke

My most unexpected buy was probably UFC undisputed. I've never been interested in boxing or wrestling, or the games based on them.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41  Edited By Cerza

Dragon Age Origins. I had zero intention of buying the game originally, but after seeing Dave's video review of it and hemming and hawing for a day or so I caved and got it and boy am I glad I did. I haven't had a new game that I could sink over 100 hours into and still be enjoying it for quite some time.

I also feel I should mention Torchlight here. That game came out of no where and after seeing the videos for it I took agamble and pre-purchased it from Steam since it was so cheap and the editor gave it the potential to deliver more than it's moneys worth. Thankfully it was a gamble worth taking. The game is so much fun. I love it! It also really makes you wonder what's the hold up with Diablo 3 since Runic Games was able to produce Torchlight in less than a year. Granted Runic Games are the guys who created Diablo, but still.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cerza said:
" Dragon Age Origins. I had zero intention of buying the game originally, but after seeing Dave's video review of it and hemming and hawing for a day or so I caved and got it and boy am I glad I did. I haven't had a new game that I could sink over 100 hours into and still be enjoying it for quite some time.  I also feel I should mention Torchlight here. That game came out of no where and after seeing the videos for it I took agamble and pre-purchased it from Steam since it was so cheap and the editor gave it the potential to deliver more than it's moneys worth. Thankfully it was a gamble worth taking. The game is so much fun. I love it! It also really makes you wonder what's the hold up with Diablo 3 since Runic Games was able to produce Torchlight in less than a year. Granted Runic Games are the guys who created Diablo, but still. "
I think I might get Dragon Age now. I'm in the same position, you know, the "hemming and hawing" stage. Sounds really fun.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Griddler

Left 4 Dead, I knew that it was immensely popular but didn't appeal to me that much but I saw it on sale on Steam and thought I'd give it a chance and although I don't love it as much as some people seem to (I've only played through each campaign twice), it was still a good purchase.

Wabashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wabashy

Dirt 2 and Shadow Complex

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By penguindust
Titan Quest. It was part of the THQ pack I picked up recently.  I can't speak for the rest of the games included in the collection because I can't tear myself away from leveling up in Titan Quest.  I knew I'd like Borderlands and I did, I was certain I'd love Uncharted 2 and I do, but I haven't played Diablo 2 in years, so finding value in that game play this long after is greatly satisfying.  I am positive to make Diablo 3 a day-one purchase now.  Additionally, as soon as Torchlight goes on sale, I know I'll pick that one up, too.
Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Brontes_Muse

Borderlands as well

discost3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By discost3w

To be honest, I tought I was not going to buy MW2, but it is pretty good, but so far this year I bought mostly old games. BF 1943 surely was a good downloadable game.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainObvious

KOTOR II. Awesome game.

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By karneh

MW2

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#50  Edited By citizenkane

I have yet to buy anything this year that wasn't expected.  I am a very calculating person.