What's You're Favorite RPG/JRPG, GO!

• 103 results
JohnnyDonVIto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guy's, JohnnyDonVito here, and I was rummaging through some of my old games, when I came across my copy of Final Fantasy 7. And damn, did it bring back some good memories of endless hours of grinding, epic boss fights and side quests' that had me up late nights trying to complete them all. [Remember, this was way before the "You Completed an Achievement" was introduced into games].

But enough of my ramblings, I'm curious as to what you're favorite RPG's, JRPG's are of all time! Any platform, any console, series of not, just hit up the comments as to what you remember as being that game you couldn't put down. My favorites of all time, are the classic Final Fantasy games. FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8 and FFX, are; in my eyes; the best games of my childhood!

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

RPG - Dragon Age: Origins.

JRPG - Tales of Vesperia.

Though I admittedly don't play very much of either. RPGs because they're primarily such a PC-centric genre, and JRPGs because most I typically find to be unbearable.

Also, this is possibly the first time I've ever seen someone make the classic ''your/you're'' mistake, but the other way around.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

RPG - Baldur's Gate II

JRPG - Final Fantasy VI

My top choices are pretty boilerplate. I think the best J/RPGs are the hidden gems that people really should play but rarely do. Like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Dark Cloud 2.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Favourite jrpg: Persona 3 FES

Favourite RPG: Mass Effect 3

There are few jrpgs I've actually finished, but even so Persona 3 FES is such a trip!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

RPG - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I've played it numerous times since it came out and I still love the characters and the game play. It would be number-one on my wishlist for a next-gen/HD update.

JRPG - Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS version). The story is grand and also personal, but what I really love is the dialogue. Practically everyone has something funny to say.

Now, I've probably logged more hours in Skyrim than either of these, but the Skyrim I love is not the Skyrim Bethesda solely made. It is the one refined by so many talented creative-types out there who love the game and make cool stuff for it.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

RPG - Ultima VI

JRPG - Phantasy Star 2

I don't know if I can choose just one of each, so here's two of my favorites.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

RPG - Fallout 3

JRPG - lol

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG - Icewind Dale

JRPG - Pokemon Fir...Well, all the Pokemon games are the same so it doesn't matter which one.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

RPG - Baldur's Gate 2

JRPG - Probably Chrono Trigger

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Dark Souls.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

JRPG: Pokemon Gold Version. That counts right?

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG: Digimon World

RPG: Digimon World

Video Game: Digimon World

It barely has a story, its gameplay is nothing phenominal, and its a licensed game, but Digimon World manages to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.

It's how all the systems in the game feed back into each other to create one of the most rewarding gameplay loops in gaming. The game can be very difficult and it barely explains itself which turned off a lot of people who played it. But it really rewards those who take the time to learn and master it.

Over a decade of playing that game and I'm still learning new stuff about it and refining my play.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I'll be the boring predictable one and say Persona 4 (particularly Golden). As someone who is iffy about JRPG combat, I think Persona 4's is simple yet fun to execute time and time again. It also has the outside of combat Social Link gameplay which I absolutely adore. A close second would be Chrono Trigger, which still plays pretty damn well even today.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

My favorite Western RPG? Probably Skyrim. Maybe Mass Effect 2. Depends on the day. I love Skyrim for its openness and vistas and potential for exploration (which is sometimes more like sight-seeing, OK with me), not really for its quests or mechanics. Mass Effect 2 for its characters and writing. I don't really know if I want to call it an RPG mechanically though, there's not much in the way of armor and equipment, there are few guns, there's not really much to distributing skill points, etc. I'd be just as likely to call it a third person shooter as I would an RPG. Still, most people call it an RPG, and it's one of my favorites, so it belongs here.

I really like what I've played of Might and Magic X, if you're looking for something that is an honest-to-God CRPG and not a bastard child of action game mechanics and RPG talky bits with some half-hearted experience point distribution in between.

As for JRPG's, my definite favorite is Chrono Trigger. I think Nocturne is also a fantastic JRPG that is a standout of the genre, but it has a handful of issues. It would be nice if I could look at what a skill does outside of battle, for instance. Persona 4 Golden is almost as good as, perhaps on par with, Nocturne, but that game's main story is kinda wobbly and they repeat themselves way too much. Chrono Trigger? Chrono Trigger is brilliant, I just can't think of any real issues I have with that game. You might be able to come up with a handful of plot holes related to time travel, but you can do that with any story about time travel. For the most part, that game's story interrelates several different time periods that are eons apart very, very well. And it builds up a lot of great characters along the way. And it does it in only 25 hours, whereas most JRPG's need 40+ to do the same thing half as well. It's also still a beautiful game and it has a soundtrack to rival any "great" video game soundtrack. It's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Also worth nothing that none of these games mentioned are games that I played in my childhood, so none of it is fueled by nostalgia.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By pweidman

Western RPG for me has to be Mass Effect 2, but I thoroughly loved E.S. Oblivion too.

JRPG is harder; probably Lost Odyssey, and then Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen following closely behind.

EDIT: CRS here: Loved me some Fallout: New Vegas....sooo good...so yeah. :D

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

RPG: Skyrim with Mass Effect and Morrowind as runners up

JRPG: Persona 4/Pokemon Crystal

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By xyzygy

RPG: Morrowind

JRPG: Lost Odyssey

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Suikoden 2 or Persona 4 (PS2.)

Persona 4 has the stronger gameplay, but Suikoden 2 is just one of those games that doesn't come along very often. There's so many things I love about that game that few RPGs go near, much less do right. Admittedly there's probably some nostalgia there, since it was pretty much the first RPG I remember falling deeply in love with and probably a big factor in why I was so deeply invested in JRPGS during the PS2 era, but it's still a legitimately great game.

Persona 4 is a pretty known quantity these days (especially around here) so I don't think I need to explain why I like it. It is one of those games I could probably pick apart for days over little issues and things I would do differently, but ultimately there are few other games that I've been so invested in even after hundreds of hours. I do prefer the PS2 version to Golden though, as I don't think all the changes they made in Golden were for the better.

As far as Western RPGs go, there's really none that have captured my attention like the Mass Effect series did. And that didn't even happen until Mass Effect 2. That being said I actually consider ME3 the pinnacle of that series in a lot of ways. I actually finished replaying it like last week after picking up the DLC and I'm more convinced than ever that that game is pretty great.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

Grandia 2. Fun combat that rewards you for teamwork and canceling enemy attacks.

I always hated how turn based RPGs had characters in a set position. That small detail of having the characters run around in an arena like settting while in combat really made the hours of fighting feel fresh.

Spells even had area of effects that could do more damage the more enemies were bunched up together.

Great dialog, cool characters and fun and simple combat.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FFX - also my favourite game of all time (and includes my favouute song as well).

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG: Despite a number of flaws: Xenogears just for the sheer madness of it all. Xenoblade Chronicles came close to reproducing the magic. I'm sorely tempted to pick up a WiiU for the new Xenowhatever game Monolith is making. Props to Phantasy Star I for introducing me to the genre at a young age and Final Fantasies 4 through 9 for causing more than a few unfinished homework assignments.

RPG: Probably The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, but there are a number of notable ones sitting in my backlog: Dragon Age Origins, Diablo III.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod

JRPG : Xenogears just love both combat systems and the style of the game

WRPG : Was Mass Effect but Mass Effect 3 left me with a very sour taste :( so Dragon Age since is the closest. Maybe the Witcher2 (but not Witcher 1 , didnt liked that one much)

Jawesome RPG: Demon´s / Dark Souls games ... Yeah it get its own category >:3

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the list it's FF6, Xenoblade, The World Ends With You, SMT: Devil Survivor and Knights in the Nightmare.

I really can't choose one.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best game ever made, Vagrant Story.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That one, you know, the one with the guy with the thing and he has to do the thing to stop the other thing.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Mass Effect 2

JRPG: Gonna be boring and say Persona 4. Sorry.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG = Xenogears

RPG = Mass Effect

PC RPG = Morrowind (no the console versions aren't real it was a pc game first, second, and last)

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Skyrim

JRPG: FFX

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By TheBluthCompany

RPG: Knights of the Old Republic. Most influential game I've ever played. Got me to start looking for RPGs to play, now my favorite genre.

JRPG: Pokemon Gold/ Persona 3

baysidejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does an MMO count? Because then it would be my favorite game of all time World Of Warcraft. I played this game more than any other game ever.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By coaxmetal

My favorite RPG happens to also be my favorite game in general, and that is Planescape Torment. I still replay it every few years (likewise with Baldur's Gate 2, which would probably come second for me, or maybe Fallout 1 or 2).

If I consider JRPGs as a separate cateogory, I think my favorite is Chrono Trigger, but I also have a lot of love for FF3/6, Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, and Personas 3 and 4 (though I have never played 4 myself, just watched the endurance run)

e: actually someone above mentioned the Souls games as "jrpgs", so if you count that, probably Demon's Souls.

fidgetwidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There are a ton of greats that spring to mind... Though some might not fall strictly into the RPG category.

My all time favourite series is Ogre Battle. Tactics Ogre above the rest. It's crazy story, and branching paths stands out to me most of all because the first ending I saw had my player character assassinated... 40+ hours of play time, and having seen his sister and best friend have died in this horrible war. I was sold.

Another series I remember fondly were the Phantsy Star games (still sad we never saw a true successor to those). Technology and magic... Combo attacks... 80's Anime art.

Breath of Fire stands out to me too... Most of them do at least. Dragon Quarter among them.

The Mario and Luigi games are charming and mechanically great.

Xenogears (the original) and Xenoblade Chronicles are great games I've returned to recently with the new one on its way... Blue Dragon is one I go back too as well.

On the idea of sequels, Dragons Dogma needs one. The first was good, but lacked story threads to keep you motivated.

One more I'd love to see continued: Ni No Kuni. Just like Dragons Quest an Blue Dragon, that feeling of PURE jrpgness it has does something few games do for me.

I could go on... But I won't.

thanous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wrpg: skyrim

jprg: earthbound (and overall fav)

strategy rpg: final fantasy tactics a2

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG: Final Fantasy VI / Persona 3 (Characters, story, gameplay and music all top notch)

RPG: Knights of the Old Republic (I loved the darker story arc in Star Wars setting. Well written and voiced characters. Amazing character interaction.)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Western RPG: Fallout New Vegas

JRPG: Pokemon (any of them)

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planescape: torment and persona 4: golden. Smt: Nocturne is also up there.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Kotor or New Vegas

JRPG: Final Fantasy V

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

JRPG: Chrono Trigger

WRPG: Dragon Age?

I'd really like to play more Western RPG's but I feel like that genre aged really poorly. It's hard to keep my curiosity going through a 60 hour game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Western

• Mass Effect
  • Elder Scrolls

Eastern

• Ni No Kuni
  • Persona
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pokemon

I'm mainly accounting for series rather than specific titles.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2

JRPG: FF4

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG: Mass Effect or Morrowind depending on what day it is

JRPG: Xenogears. I love this game so damn much and I'm happy to see it get so much love here. You guys warm my heart.

I wanna put Dark Souls somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

RPG: Likely Baldur's Gate 2, though on a different day I might say Might and Magic VII

RPG of the Japanese Persuasion: Persona 3 FES or Final Fantasy V.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 8, I just finished a 41 hour replay this month, no rose-tinted glasses here it's still fantastic.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

RPG: Ultima VII

JRPG: All of the megaten series and its spinoffs.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Trigger and FFVI. I like to go against the grain. Fallout 3 and Skyrim are way up there too.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Favorite RPG: Dragon Age: Origins

Favorite JRPG: Persona 4

P4>DA:O