When creating a character do you prefer male or female?

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By K0rN
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You know it's really off and on. I don't mind playing either, more recently however, I've been playing more female characters like in Mount and Blade.
 The plus side for males is obviously the facial hair, but in other games like Saints Row 2, where all the male voice actors suck, I chose to play as a female protagonist.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Since I have yet to play a game that shows my characters genitals, both at the same time.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@FartyMcNarly: 

Not playing Dragon Age or Mass Effect? I know I haven't.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

Often males when creating.
But if it's something where I choose like L4D I choose female, often to create balance between the genders I chose in video games.
I don't want anyone to think I'm gay.
Wait, instead they'll think I'm lonely. God Dammit.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

if it's a long game that I tend to play all the way through, female 

anything else, I'm gonna be a man.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

Males for my first character, then Females if there will be a noticeable difference (Mass Effect, etc.)

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

eh, it varies. really depends on the game. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

My first ''test run'' through RPG's or other lengthy games that give you that choice, I always choose a man. Then after a couple of hours and i inevitabley decide to start again just to see how differently I could play, I'd go with a female. The female usually sticks as my main from there on.
Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dejkrigeren

Male, I just think there is something creepy about a dude sitting and meticously sculpting their dreamwoman.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Usually I'll play as a male and then on my second playthrough I'll play as a female. As a side note, I cannot play as a female in Mass Effect. I just can't do it.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mariek430

Male most of the time, unless a class can only be male or female(Sacred2 for example). Learned from my years of nothing but female dark elf characters in Everquest, that I dont want to be bothered by some lonely 13 year old.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By K0rN
@natetodamax said:
"Usually I'll play as a male and then on my second playthrough I'll play as a female. As a side note, I cannot play as a female in Mass Effect. I just can't do it. "

Let me guess, because of all the trailers advertised toward Shepard being male?
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Famov

It depends on how the characters look, and how many times I play through the game. Usually male though. 

For MMOs, however, it is exclusively male. I've only ever played WoW, but people tend to assume that you're the gender of your avatar. It goes without saying that there are subtle differences (and not so subtle) with how people treat you based on if they think you're a man/woman. 

The last question I ever want to be asked, whether online or off, is: "Are you really a chick???" There's something very awkward about informing the hopeful guy I'm currently questing with that, no, I am just a guy playing a girl. 

EDIT: I think that someone should do a study on how people are treated differently on MMOs based on the sex of the character they play. It'd be like that fatsuit study except online and with more young men.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Depends on the game. I like playing females if I can still have relationships with the other females of the game. Otherwise male, or when the game is just meant to be played as a male.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Wolverine

I always tend to choose to play as a male. I'm a male and I don't know... I just like playing as a male.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By animateria

Depends on whether or not the character is supposed to represent me or not.

For example, if Persona 3 PSP came out, I'm playing male.

Mass Effect's Shepard is clearly not supposed to be represented as me, so I would then go female instead. 

Of course there's those slightly ambiguous moments like when I used to play WoW. It depends on how fond I am of the looks, I'd play male Tauren, female Blood Elf, Male Dwarf, Dranei female etc.

I guess mostly female in the end, but whatever suits my whims of the moment really.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Ravenousrattler

mostly male characters unless there is an achievement dependent on my characters gender

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Karmum

I'm only answering "male" because I'm used to the male character. Most games I play don't give me the option of a female character, so I'm just used to picking a male character. Mass Effect 1 and 2 being the few exceptions.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i play as male characters. i would only make a girl character if i was playing a mmo and trolling nerdy guys.

fowlowl26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fowlowl26

im male, so i choose male....unless its soul calibur 4 

Ivy2-SC4
Ivy2-SC4

cat fights for the win! XD
Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blackmoore

It really depends. Depends on what? I can't say. For ME2, I made a female Commander Shepard, My ability to create normal looking humans is apparently limited to the female gender, so in a narrative game that involves lots of camera at face (ME or DAO) I generally play females.

DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DJL

Male first time around, then I'll make a female my next playthrough.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Afroman269

My primary is male. For a second playthrough I switch to female.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

Strong female leads always make for interesting characters (Mass Effect is a prominent example). They're also easier on the eyes, females for me. 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Male usually. Unless i can customize the female to have some nice ass and breasts.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By bonbolapti

I usually make male characters. But I made a female character when tony Hawk 3 came out. but she had enough spunk to always be considered whenever a games create a character had those specific face and body options.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It depends on the game for me. For some reason if it's an action game I always pick female characters. Even RPGs, for that matter, unless the game is marketed with a male lead (like Mass Effect). With sports games it's always male, obviously. (BTW, 5 - 3, yo.)

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By guiseppe

Female most of the time.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Famov said:
"

It depends on how the characters look, and how many times I play through the game. Usually male though. 

For MMOs, however, it is exclusively male. I've only ever played WoW, but people tend to assume that you're the gender of your avatar. It goes without saying that there are subtle differences (and not so subtle) with how people treat you based on if they think you're a man/woman. 

The last question I ever want to be asked, whether online or off, is: "Are you really a chick???" There's something very awkward about informing the hopeful guy I'm currently questing with that, no, I am just a guy playing a girl. 

EDIT: I think that someone should do a study on how people are treated differently on MMOs based on the sex of the character they play. It'd be like that fatsuit study except online and with more young men.

"
I always went along with it, females in WoW get shit so much easier!!!! I find it hilarious....