When gaming becomes a chore...

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By smokemare

I've often thought about how great it would be to have a career which involved playing computer games for money... Having said that I've been in a band - thought that would be good to be paid for, and acted in a play, which was fun, but would nice to be paid for... But if you became a full-time computer games journalist, would it take something enjoy and turn it into work?

Lately I've been feeling a bit retro and have rediscovered the PS1 classic Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.  I've been playing it on my PS2.  Now the trouble is I found myself feeling a little guilty last night.  I was enjoying churning through THPS2, and thinking, 'Really I should be playing a 360 game, working on my achievements...' I resisted the temptation to turn off - boot up Left 4 Dead and try for a few more achievements... Just...

But it  left me a little unsettled… At the same time, I’m playing THPS2, really, wanting my character to have better stats and more tricks, and to be skating on the higher levels… I’m basically ‘jobbing it’ through the lower levels trying to get to the stage where I can really have fun…

Is this gaming in the norm?  It’s a bit like back in the days of old Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies, I would play for so long, and then start thinking, ‘This isn’t efficient, I’m not gaining enough XP per hour at the moment – I ought to go and do something else.’ That something else might be really boring, but efficient in terms of the effort/time for XP gain.  Again, it’s investing time in something that isn’t that much fun, in theory so you can have more fun later.

I suppose this is a truth in most RPG style games, when having a retro- bash the Secret of Mana, I’m slightly conscious that I’m ploughing away with a rusty sword and no spells, so I can enjoy unleashing fiery death on my enemies later.  Power is fun, but games make you work for that power.

An interesting alternative view is that of the Guitar Hero games, playing on Easy difficulty, is frankly boring – but the game is a separate skill in itself.  I defy anyone to pick up Guitar Hero for the first time, no matter how good a musician or gamer you are, and play Through the Fire and Flames or Jordan on Expert… There’s no XP or artificial improving how powerful you are – it’s simply learning a skill, but learning a skill that is essentially playing a particular game.

All this considered, games playing is work, it involves work and always will – so why do we choose to do it?  Doing work which paid, or which would have to pay others to do for us would technically be more useful – so why spend so much of our time working hard at something fun, but unproductive?

I can only guess it’s to escape the mundanity of modern life, to experience ‘flow’ that sense of being so focused on something that the real world doesn’t exist – which you only get from high intensity games.

Ultimately computer games are escapism, finding a career as a games journalist and being forced to play all games, would probably still give that ‘flow’ experience.  Afterwards of course you have to consider the good and bad points and articulate them to your readers….

And you probably have to spend a large chhunk of time playing games which are a complete chore to play and pretty damn awful…

I would still choose that as career having said that.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By smokemare

I've often thought about how great it would be to have a career which involved playing computer games for money... Having said that I've been in a band - thought that would be good to be paid for, and acted in a play, which was fun, but would nice to be paid for... But if you became a full-time computer games journalist, would it take something enjoy and turn it into work?

Lately I've been feeling a bit retro and have rediscovered the PS1 classic Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.  I've been playing it on my PS2.  Now the trouble is I found myself feeling a little guilty last night.  I was enjoying churning through THPS2, and thinking, 'Really I should be playing a 360 game, working on my achievements...' I resisted the temptation to turn off - boot up Left 4 Dead and try for a few more achievements... Just...

But it  left me a little unsettled… At the same time, I’m playing THPS2, really, wanting my character to have better stats and more tricks, and to be skating on the higher levels… I’m basically ‘jobbing it’ through the lower levels trying to get to the stage where I can really have fun…

Is this gaming in the norm?  It’s a bit like back in the days of old Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies, I would play for so long, and then start thinking, ‘This isn’t efficient, I’m not gaining enough XP per hour at the moment – I ought to go and do something else.’ That something else might be really boring, but efficient in terms of the effort/time for XP gain.  Again, it’s investing time in something that isn’t that much fun, in theory so you can have more fun later.

I suppose this is a truth in most RPG style games, when having a retro- bash the Secret of Mana, I’m slightly conscious that I’m ploughing away with a rusty sword and no spells, so I can enjoy unleashing fiery death on my enemies later.  Power is fun, but games make you work for that power.

An interesting alternative view is that of the Guitar Hero games, playing on Easy difficulty, is frankly boring – but the game is a separate skill in itself.  I defy anyone to pick up Guitar Hero for the first time, no matter how good a musician or gamer you are, and play Through the Fire and Flames or Jordan on Expert… There’s no XP or artificial improving how powerful you are – it’s simply learning a skill, but learning a skill that is essentially playing a particular game.

All this considered, games playing is work, it involves work and always will – so why do we choose to do it?  Doing work which paid, or which would have to pay others to do for us would technically be more useful – so why spend so much of our time working hard at something fun, but unproductive?

I can only guess it’s to escape the mundanity of modern life, to experience ‘flow’ that sense of being so focused on something that the real world doesn’t exist – which you only get from high intensity games.

Ultimately computer games are escapism, finding a career as a games journalist and being forced to play all games, would probably still give that ‘flow’ experience.  Afterwards of course you have to consider the good and bad points and articulate them to your readers….

And you probably have to spend a large chhunk of time playing games which are a complete chore to play and pretty damn awful…

I would still choose that as career having said that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust
@smokemare said:

"  ...But it  left me a little unsettled… At the same time, I’m playing THPS2, really, wanting my character to have better stats and more tricks, and to be skating on the higher levels… I’m basically ‘jobbing it’ through the lower levels trying to get to the stage where I can really have fun…Is this gaming in the norm?   

...All this considered, games playing is work, it involves work and always will – so why do we choose to do it?  Doing work which paid, or which would have to pay others to do for us would technically be more useful – so why spend so much of our time working hard at something fun, but unproductive?  

Ultimately computer games are escapism, finding a career as a games journalist and being forced to play all games, would probably still give that ‘flow’ experience.  Afterwards of course you have to consider the good and bad points and articulate them to your readers….And you probably have to spend a large chhunk of time playing games which are a complete chore to play and pretty damn awful…I would still choose that as career having said that.       "

First of all, don't feel bad because you are playing an old game.  I recently spent a lot of time with Knights of the Old Republic and that came out in 2003.  I've also been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.  While not a last (or previous to that) generation game, it isn't current by popular standards.  Old games are sometimes so good they become "classic" and that means they never go out of style.  I have Half-Life 1 installed on my PC so I might boot it up when I have some free time. 

Yes, we all encounter the "work for fun" areas of games occasionally.  As I mentioned above, while playing KOTOR I had to endure the starter Taris levels where you have no jedi abilities and only a portion of your crew.  It takes entirely too long if you're going to do everything and in an RPG, doing as much as you can is important.  We do these things because we know as experienced gamers that the payoff is often worth the effort.  Well, in the better games that is.  Is it work?  Sure, but as long as the tedium doesn't take too long then we're willing to put up with it.  I doubt anyone really liked scanning for minerals in Mass Effect 2, be many of us did it anyway because the benefits improved the quality of our experience.   

Now when the games themselves become mundane, then we should either find a new game, take a break or find a new hobby.  Gaming is supposed to be entertaining.  When it becomes unending drudgery then we should quit (at least for a while).  For two years I was a hardcore World of Warcraft player.  I raided several times a week at scheduled times, plus I felt obligated to keep grinding away for reputation, gathering resources for my guild and improving ALT characters to expand my usefulness within my group.  Each day, I clocked in and then went about the monotony of my routine.  Finally, I realized that the moments of good weren't worth all the humdrum  aggravation.  So, I quit and cancelled my account.  The upside was that I got to play a whole lot of other games which was fun.  However, I am sure for some just about every title seems to be a chore.  It's important to remember that for most of us, if a hobby isn't ultimately rewarding then we shouldn't be burdening ourselves with it.  The world has a lot to offer if we seek it out.  

I believe most professionals in the gaming industry like their job most of the time.  Are there downtimes?  Certainly, I dare you to show me another job where there isn't.  For the games press, the love of writing and sharing is probably first and foremost for them.  I can't imagine too many successful game journalists who hate their job and do nothing but spread disdain.  Even for the negative-nellies,  there must be something gratifying from the work otherwise it all comes down to the money.  I've yet to hear a single video game writer say they're only in it for the money.  That's like a public school teacher saying they got into education to get rich.  The field just doesn't work that way.   

For me, I don't think I would like the job.  I'm simple and I look for games to be a stress release, not a source of new grief.