Which Console Manufacturer do you think will die next?

• 97 results
OptimumNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OptimumNinja
No Caption Provided
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

Enie meanie meinie mo, I hope the PS3 will go :)

OptimumNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OptimumNinja

And maybe who will step into the ring next?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I would say Nintendo... The Wii was a bit of a disappointment in some peoples opinions. This may affect how well Nintendo do in the future.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By 02sfraser

i don't think any of the big 3 are going to go anytime soon. Nintendo have made such a big mark in the handheld and home console market there is no way they are going to stop. Microsoft have near infinite money and Sony (although no preforming as well) are still making top games and money so why would they pull out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know? Honestly, I play the 360 the most, but it'd probably be the most interesting if it left.

And for who's entering? I hope Apple never does, like some people liked to rumor around a while ago.  I'd love for Sega to enter, but that'll never happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CornontheCobbe said:

" I would say Nintendo... The Wii was a bit of a disappointment in some peoples opinions. This may affect how well Nintendo do in the future. "

The people that think the Wii is a disappointment are in the minority compared to all the newcomers who love the Wii and the Wii-only. If by "affect" you mean making Nintendo even more rich than they are now, then yes. I know the Wii isn't that great to people who mainly play 360/PS3, but c'mon now, let's not be ignorant.

But realistically, I don't think any of the 3 will go anytime soon.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Slippy

They all have enough money to sustain themselves for at least another generation.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Ghostiet

Your mom. Ho-ho.

What a pointless topic. Sony and Microsoft have many sources of income and Wii plays it well on a very safe family demography with most games. Also, all 3 consoles are doing very, very well.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't think any of them are going anywhere anytime soon. 
But if I were to pick one, it'd be Sony.  

Nintendo may have upset a lot of core gamers, but they've found a much larger audiance else well.  Even if it becomes nothing but casual and fitness games, they're not going anywhere for as long as they remain this popular.  And Microsoft have established themselves pretty well now too, except in Japan where they still have a reputation for being "American" and "less good".  But considering their biggest audiance is in the US, it hardly matters, especially since the big Japanese developers will continue to support them at least in the West anyway.  Plus MS have the funds to keep the console floating for as long as they want.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Numbers aside, I think Microsoft will be the next to go if they don't plan ahead with the next Xbox, like Sony has with the PS3. People criticized the PS3 for having "too much technology" at first, but it's paid off for them now, while the 360's hardware is quickly becoming obsolete.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" Numbers aside, I think Microsoft will be the next to go if they don't plan ahead with the next Xbox, like Sony has with the PS3. People criticized the PS3 for having "too much technology" at first, but it's paid off for them now, while the 360's hardware is quickly becoming obsolete. "
I disagree with this, I still think Sony including things like blu-ray was a mistake.  It's had no real advantages in terms of gaming and although the PS3 is the more powerful system, not by an amount that's going to make any difference.  Certainly no where near the difference between the original Xbox and PS2.  Sony's plan was to keep the PS3 going for at least 10 years, but as soon as Microsoft or Sony think it's time for them to release a new system, Sony will be forced to release a new one too, just as they had to replace the PS2 despite it being capable of going for much longer.

And with the exception of certain 360 games requiring an HDD to install to, I don't see how any of the technology is obsolete.
Majinken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Majinken

Sony is finally making a profit and Nintendo and Microsoft have infinite moneys. Nokia?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By guiseppe

I don't think any of them will go any time soon. If one of them does go, I think it'll be joined by another one so that there's only one left. However, I think it is far more likely that someone will join the big three, be it Apple or maybe even Sega, I have no idea. But as it is, none of them look like they're in any position to "die", as they are all very successful at what they do.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@TripMasterMunky said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:

" I would say Nintendo... The Wii was a bit of a disappointment in some peoples opinions. This may affect how well Nintendo do in the future. "

The people that think the Wii is a disappointment are in the minority compared to all the newcomers who love the Wii and the Wii-only. If by "affect" you mean making Nintendo even more rich than they are now, then yes. I know the Wii isn't that great to people who mainly play 360/PS3, but c'mon now, let's not be ignorant.  But realistically, I don't think any of the 3 will go anytime soon. "
I'm not trying to be ignorant. Don't get me wrong, i have an XBOX 360, and a Wii and i think it's pretty damn cool : ) A Very innovative product. I'm just thinking that people commonly refer to the Wii as being inferior to the PS3 or XBOX. So in the future, if Nintendo brings out a new console, people could possibly compare that new console to the Wii, and they could say the Wii was pretty bad, so they may be opinionated and say the new console is going to be pretty bad also, and "Nintendo is going downhill."

But i don't think this, i am just going by an assumption that some have made in the past. It's just an assumption. Could be very wrong, of course as we all know Nintendo kicks ass. The NES,  SNES, N64 and Gameboy Color are some of my favorite Nintendo Consoles.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rhaknar

none of those will die, they all make and have too much money

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RiddleBrother
@CornontheCobbe said:
" @TripMasterMunky said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:

The people that think the Wii is a disappointment are in the minority compared to all the newcomers who love the Wii and the Wii-only. If by "affect" you mean making Nintendo even more rich than they are now, then yes. I know the Wii isn't that great to people who mainly play 360/PS3, but c'mon now, let's not be ignorant.  But realistically, I don't think any of the 3 will go anytime soon. "
I'm not trying to be ignorant. Don't get me wrong, i have an XBOX 360, and a Wii and i think it's pretty damn cool : ) A Very innovative product. I'm just thinking that people commonly refer to the Wii as being inferior to the PS3 or XBOX. So in the future, if Nintendo brings out a new console, people could possibly compare that new console to the Wii, and they could say the Wii was pretty bad, so they may be opinionated and say the new console is going to be pretty bad also, and "Nintendo is going downhill."  But i don't think this, i am just going by an assumption that some have made in the past. It's just an assumption. Could be very wrong, of course as we all know Nintendo kicks ass. The NES,  SNES, N64 and Gameboy Color are some of my favorite Nintendo Consoles. "
The Wii has definitely not been a commercial disappointment, so we will see a new Nintendo platform this decade, probably one that expands on the control scheme posited by the Wii. I'm gonna guess it comes out for xmas 2012.
Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lethkhar

I don't think any of them will be leaving anytime soon, though Sony is clearly the weaker of the three in terms of livelihood. It's main competition is with Microsoft, and Microsoft has a habit of swinging its vast resources around to achieve a monopoly.

In all honesty, and I know this is incredibly unlikely given the oligopoly we have right now and all of the barriers to entry, I hope we get some more companies coming in. I miss the you, Sega! The Dreamcast rocked!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By breadfan

None of them. 

I have a feeling this thread is bound for bad places...

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Br3adfan said:
" None of them.  I have a feeling this thread is bound for bad places... "
Probably.  If you force me to guess I guess  I'd say Sony but they finally got their act together with the PS3.  I bet they learn their lessons from the early lifespan of the PS3 though and are better off by the time the PS4 comes around.

I think they're all fine though.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By MeierTheRed
@Chavtheworld said:
" Enie meanie meinie mo, I hope Chavtheworld will go away :) "  

Fixed. 

@Br3adfan said:
" None of them.  I have a feeling this thread is bound for bad places... "
Agree on both things.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

inb4lock.  

Flame bait aaaaaaaaaaand FLAG! 

@OptimumNinja:  
You didn't even try putting something constructive. 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

All.

OnLive destroys them all!

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nemesis

Sony, and good riddance if they go. It would be awesome to see the internet explode with Sony fanboy rage. We only need one hardcore console, and one casual Nintendo console anyways.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nanikore
@Chavtheworld:   

No Caption Provided
@Nemesis: Why do you bring that kind of shit here? There are other places for that.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
All of them will be replaced by books...I have seen the future!
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidS

None of them in the forseeable future. 
Takes a few bad console releases to destroy companies of this size. 
I don't think any of the current consoles can be classified as bad so my guess is someone new will enter the field before we see someone depart.

OptimumNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OptimumNinja

I'm not really saying anyone of them are dying or going to die soon. I just did this for fun to see how people would react and what their opinions are for the future of video games as a whole. I'll admit it though this isn't the best topic I've come up with.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

None of them; at least for awhile. Both Microsoft and Sony have the money to outlast the storm, and Nintendo is a non-factor, though they may be dead in the eyes of some hardcore gamers. If you remember, the Xbox and Gamecube did abysmally compared to the PS2, but it didn't drive either company away. I even believe Microsoft planned their first console to fail. It was really more of a testing the waters sort of thing. Contrast that with the PS3, today, and you already see the PS3 doing spectacular in Japan and much better than before here, largely in part due to necessary price drops and amazing games this year.

Though if I'd be concerned about anyone, it would be Microsoft. They're still doing great now, but their reliance on buying out the competition (for example: GTA DLC exclusivity) can't last forever. And once people either start utilizing the PS3 technical prowess (probably not going to happen in it's lifetime) or the next PS3 is released with more standard architecture, Microsoft won't have that huge advantage of ease of programming. Without it, the PS3 is pretty much hands down the better console.

Of course, on the software side, I was almost willing to give it to Sony. However, after thinking about it, the biggest games that come to mind don't really seem like they can be iterated on for much longer. LittleBigPlanet, which seems a really awesome game to me, but held back in its potential to where it never really took off. Uncharted 2: looks like a simply amazing game, and the definition of a system seller, but the formula honestly can't last for much more than one more game before seeming repetitive, unless releases are spaced much further apart. Final Fantasy XIII: not completely exclusive, but pretty much leading the PS3; I just don't see it hitting as big as you'd expect a Final Fantasy game to, and I think the brand is going to lose a lot of traction for the future, seeing how much ire the JRPG is bringing with it on these shores.

But I guess you could say the same thing about Microsoft and Nintendo. Gears 3, Halo Reach, Fable 3... they're all pretty much the end of the line for those series. They may keep going with them, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in even a Gears of War 3, let alone a 4th one. Nintendo has milked their franchises to the point where I actively hate most of them. If there's one company that needs innovation in software, it's Nintendo. It's amazing to me, because they've got some of the brightest guys working on these first-party Nintendo games, but they either don't "get it" or are just in it for the money, because I swear to God, if I see another side-scrolling, metroidvania style Castlevania game, or another 2D-esque Mario game based off the same games from the past, or another Animal Crossing game that isn't drastically different than all 3 of the same games they've released so far (Wild World might almost be acceptable enough, but it doesn't quite make it for me), or more "here, waggle these phallic controllers in time to dumbed down versions of sports!" (I think it may actually be called Wii Sports, but don't quote me on that)... well, if I see that, rest assured, Nintendo will be dead to me. I guess that'll be okay to them, since they've got the casual market so locked up they'll continue printing money for generations to come.

So honestly, the console race is still so neck-and-neck that I can't make a prediction. I just can't. At this point, I wish a third party with fresh ideas would come in and school everybody on innovation. The only company that I think could get the job done on that front would be Apple, but then, Apple has never really shown much interest in gaming in the past. Don't spout to me that the iPhone counts, because it doesn't. Not yet, at least. Too bad Sega doesn't have enough decent brand names left to re-enter the hardware business.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By trophyhunter

I don't any of them will go they are all selling very well now

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@AndrewB said:
"   Though if I'd be concerned about anyone, it would be Microsoft. They're still doing great now, but their reliance on buying out the competition (for example: GTA DLC exclusivity) can't last forever.  "
I'd remind you that this is the same tactic that Sony used to gain a foothold when they first entered the gaming ring.  The only reason the GTA games, etc were exclusive in the past was because Sony paid for that.  They have moved away from that now, but only because they've been able to establish themselves.  But I do think Microsoft need to start putting more of a focus on creating their own studios, like what Sony have done with Insomniac and Naughty Dog, etc, that can create their own first party properties for them alone.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By AndrewB
@WinterSnowblind: You're right, I totally overlooked that. It's been so long, and I never actually owned a PS2 to begin with, so I didn't keep up with exclusivity that much.

And I keep forgetting, even with a paid service like Live, they continue to be the only company that understands what online gaming is. That will give them a lot of ground going forward.
Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Noxpectius

OnLive, then Nintendo. The Wii has a big userbase and all that, Hell, 6 people that I know that have never bought a console got the Wii, but dont buy or play anything past Wii Sports or Wii Play. So Nintendo is gonna have to come up with something extraordinary for those people to buy another console......or they go the different route and support the Wii for 10 years, and launce another console for the hardcore.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bollard
@nanikore: What the hell, you are calling me a troll? For ANSWERING THE OP? 

This thread was asking for people to put their thoughts across, and you knew what you were going to get when opening it, so why did you bother coming? 

Thirdly, realistically, if one of the console manufacturers HAD to go, judging on this generation, which do you really think would? 

It wouldn't be Nintendo - they've really changed things around and managed to do what game devs have been trying to do for years - market to women/children/families. 

Microsoft comes a narrow second, only because it has the larger user base, came out first, and isn't consistently losing money >.> 

Its narrow, but you have to admit, Sony would be be the one, if one HAD to go.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Binman88

None of them are going to die, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Nintendo.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Dreamcast 2 will rule the future!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think any of them are going to bite the dust anytime soon. Sony and Nintendo have been around forever and Microsoft has enough money to back them no matter what happens.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zabant

Msoft and Ninty are making money, and sony have a huge investment in the ps3.

anyone of them pulling out of the console race would be like cutting their dicks off.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ravensword

I dont think neither are going to go. People like to think that jsut because SONY had one semi off generation that they will be dead in the water now, but thats just stupid. If Nintendo keeps doing what there doing know, I wouldnt miss them being gone.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By torus
@TripMasterMunky said:
" I don't know? Honestly, I play the 360 the most, but it'd probably be the most interesting if it left.  And for who's entering? I hope Apple never does, like some people liked to rumor around a while ago.  I'd love for Sega to enter, but that'll never happen. "
Apple already tried. 

No Caption Provided
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brunchies

None of them are going to die now or in the near future.

Avatar image for ihaxedallreconcodez
iHaxedAllReconCodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the Wii, but it's for familys so those stupid moms will keep buying those Wiis. It could be anyone now, just probably not the Wii (UGGGGGGHHHHHH IT FAILS SOOOO BAD)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By jakob187

Sega.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@torus said:
" @TripMasterMunky said:
" I don't know? Honestly, I play the 360 the most, but it'd probably be the most interesting if it left.  And for who's entering? I hope Apple never does, like some people liked to rumor around a while ago.  I'd love for Sega to enter, but that'll never happen. "
Apple already tried. 

No Caption Provided
"
Haha, the Pippin. 1996's failure of the year.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Karmum

None of the above. Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are all multinational corporations that produce all kinds of products outside video games. I believe it was reported that Nintendo posted a revenue of 20 billion in 2009, and since both Sony and Microsoft sell more kinds of products (TVs and electronics for Sony, Microsoft does the computer thing, obviously), they earned a lot more revenue.

All of them have plenty of money at their disposals to last for awhile. Anybody who thinks either of the three are going to cut their losses are crazy.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dany

No one is done after this generation. I bet old habits die hard as Nintendo won't change habits.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

My Wii will never fail me.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FunExplosions

A dumb question to ask a bunch of random gamers.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#49  Edited By Spiritof

It's going to be a one console future. They're ALL going to die.

Dyack said so!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By c1337us

None of them. Nintendo my not be popular with some people who consider themselves "hardcore" but there is no doubt that they move a shit ton of console both home and hand held. Sony and Microsoft both have the cash to back them up from other parts of their respective companies to help shoulder any financial sticky patches related to the games division.