Who are your favorite fictional Chinese characters in gaming?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello

My personal favorite fictional Chinese characters in gaming are Alice Ip from Konami's Dance Dance Revolution series and Litchi Faye-Ling from BlazBlue series.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I personally really loved both Yu's from Prey (2017)...both Alex as a character, and the Morgan that I became.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is Lu Bu fictional, historical, or legendary? If he counts I’m all in on that guy.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krelmoon said:

Is Lu Bu fictional, historical, or legendary? If he counts I’m all in on that guy.

If you're referring to Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors or Fate/EXTRA, you can count him as a video game character.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lu Bu for sure. He's one of Videogame's baddest mofos.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Stranglehold's Inspector Tequila Yuen. He' got to kill 'em all!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Xiahou Dun kinda guy.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

it's gotta be...

No Caption Provided

right? No contest. But I really liked Ada from REmake2.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ling Xiaoyu is just fun to play as.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

...I don't think I've played as many Chinese characters. Ying from R6Siege is the only one I can think of. Her gadget is great when used well (incredibly annoying for the other team) and she's the first character I aced with. Plus her primary gun is reasonably accurate and has an 80 round magazine so that's great.

I did play RE2 and wasn't aware that Ada is specifically Chinese. I guess I just didn't think about it much.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

Probably Mei from Overwatch.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I didn't think that the topic was that someone had to be aggressively Chinese?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sethmode: i didn't mean "aggressively Chinese", I knew that Ada is from some far East area I just didn't know she was from China. You could have told me she was from Vietnam and I would have believed you. I just pointed that out as a reason for not thinking of Ada until after I had written my post and read a few responses but before clicking post.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I apologize, I was honestly just kidding around! Wasn't trying to make a thing of it. Just thought it was funny phrasing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I found this kind of an interesting question, since I'd played Genshin Impact for nearly 100 hours in Chinese last year as I found it the least annoying of the vocal performances. In that instance alone I really enjoyed the little zombie girl Qiqi. Traversing the world with her she sings all kinds of little jingles to herself that sound vaguely English and reminded me of the video of the little girl putting away the trash while reciting DMX's "y'all gon' make me lose my mind" in a really delightful way. But I'd guess none of those characters are technically Chinese since they all at least pass white and come from fictional lands?

So then I thought...well, Tachibana was pretty cool in Yakuza Zero, but I honestly can't remember if he was a Japanese child smuggled into child labor in China or a Chinese kid escaping the mainland under the guise of a Yakuza (that game!) so I decided to do a pretty wonky Google search for "best Chinese video game characters"...

I didn't realize a lot of the Mortal Kombat characters were specifically Chinese! As someone whose online persona has almost entirely been defined by taking their last name and spelling it backwards because they think it looks and sounds cool, I can't help but side with Noob Saibot, the ultimate form of taking your last name and spelling it backwards because you think it looks and sounds cool.

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Mulan from Disney's Mulan (1998) for the Nintendo Gameboy.

No Caption Provided

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jennifer Mui from Mercenaries 1 and 2, and is namesakingly voiced by Jennifer Hale.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Onemanarmyy
Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Tung Fu Rue from Fatal Fury, who is just Muten Roshi without all the perviness.

Chin Gentsai from King of Fighters, who is just Beggar So from Drunken Master 1.

Mrs. Chu from Sleeping Dogs, who rules.

Zhao the swarthy gang leader from Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22 fisk0  Moderator

Outside of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms inspired games (Sango Fighter, Dynasty Warriors, Total War etc.), the first one that came to mind was Zhang from that XCOM DLC.

I do wish I could think of other more fleshed out original characters.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the antique shop owner in Fahrenheit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

I would posit that, Monkey from Ninja Theory's game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is/was Chinese. In the game without a doubt you PLAY as Monkey, so if we acknowledge that 'basis' of the root story comes from the Chinese epic fable- I think it fits the criteria.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would posit that, Monkey from Ninja Theory's game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is/was Chinese. In the game without a doubt you PLAY as Monkey, so if we acknowledge that 'basis' of the root story comes from the Chinese epic fable- I think it fits the criteria.

Not sure a whitewashed character in a western adaptation of a Chinese story is really in the spirit of the topic. (For the record, I like Enslaved and don't really have much of a problem with a western studio adapting Odyssey of the West to their own perspective. However, just because the original story is Chinese doesn't mean the game gets any "credit" for representation when the characters are not portrayed as Chinese.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

There is always dumb comments on threads about how their left field choice "counts" but this one takes the cake. Congrats.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

As a dog I would like to nominate Panda from the Tekken series,
with special shout out to Ling Xiaoyu for seeming like a nice
caregiver who might be exceptional at belly-rubs.
Wei Shen (sleepy dogs) was cool but didn't pet dogs afaik.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@monkeyking1969 said:

Not sure a whitewashed character in a western adaptation of a Chinese story is really in the spirit of the topic. (For the record, I like Enslaved and don't really have much of a problem with a western studio adapting Odyssey of the West to their own perspective. However, just because the original story is Chinese doesn't mean the game gets any "credit" for representation when the characters are not portrayed as Chinese.

Is it whitewashed or merely stylized like some anime character are? You tell me, I guess.

Is any interpretation of Ming Dynasty literature not good enough unless some who is native Chinese making it? So at that point do we start splitting hairs about Japanese developers writing dilague for, animating and making backstories for Chinese characters? You say Monkey in this game is problematic. Okay, now tell me why any of the other characters listed above doesn't have any westerized or appropriated baggage?

Or, maybe, we can we enjoy artists making art, that is based on other art that they found intriguing and meaningful? What are we gatekeeping, and for whom are we gatekeeping?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Yeah, Chin Li is a good choice. I tend to get more attached to fighting game characters than other genres. There isn't much story or dialogue to go on, but a good developer can make a lot of personality can come through in their design, moveset, and end pose. Give the player just enough to subconsciously fill in the blanks.

Show, don't tell, which is my preference for videogame storytelling.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:
@monkeyking1969 said:

Is it whitewashed or merely stylized like some anime character are? You tell me, I guess.

Is any interpretation of Ming Dynasty literature not good enough unless some who is native Chinese making it? So at that point do we start splitting hairs about Japanese developers writing dilague for, animating and making backstories for Chinese characters? You say Monkey in this game is problematic. Okay, now tell me why any of the other characters listed above doesn't have any westerized or appropriated baggage?

Or, maybe, we can we enjoy artists making art, that is based on other art that they found intriguing and meaningful? What are we gatekeeping, and for whom are we gatekeeping?

Did you even read my comment? I said I like the game and don't really have a problem with a western studio adapting a several hundred year old Chinese story. I never said the character was "problematic."

However, there is a big difference between saying "I like this thing" and "The characters count as Chinese representation actually, despite the fact that there is zero indication aesthetically or in the narrative that they are Chinese."

Also, your anime comparison is total nonsense. The game actually would be pretty problematic if an English studio decided to go for an "art style" that had very little defining characteristics other than "Asian people look like they're white." Luckily that isn't the case.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pork Bun Guy - Sleeping Dogs

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I feel like @gtxforza is rapidly becoming the "Nathan from Tumwater, Washington" of the GB forums.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nophilip said:

I feel like @gtxforza is rapidly becoming the "Nathan from Tumwater, Washington" of the GB forums.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bybeach
No Caption Provided

Tracer Tong-Deus Ex.

Excluding his views about intellectual property which I just could not roll with, He had some interesting societal and political views in Deus Ex. I'm not sure I agree with them now, particularly during the end game of Deus Ex, though I did like them at the time. Perhaps it is my own developed cynicism at mankind being able to make the best decisions concerning it's own future well-being.

I of course want to be wrong...