Whoa whats Pachters beef with Giantbomb?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By RobotHamster

So I'm watching the new episode of the bonus round and I hear pachter call out Giantbomb and say how they give games 12's and 20's I guess trying to say they only give out low scores (even though we uses 5 stars).  At first I thought he was joking or something but I'm pretty sure it was a straight diss.  I never really did like the guy but that comment really did bother me a bit.  If you wanna watch its at about the half way point and again at about hree quarters in. 

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/404?ch=1&sd=1   

fei0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#2  Edited By fei0x

I just watched it. I haven't really seen much of the guy but it didn't sound anything like he was after Giantbomb to me. He could have said any reviewer in there. It seemed to be a very broad range generic comment, just trying to get across a point.  After thinking about it though, it's more like props that he used Giantbomb, kinda like a shout out, probably because of popularity.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@RobotHamster said:
" So I'm watching the new episode of the bonus round and I hear pachter call out Giantbomb and say how they give games 12's and 20's I guess trying to say they only give out low scores (even though we uses 5 stars).  At first I thought he was joking or something but I'm pretty sure it was a straight diss.  I never really did like the guy but that comment really did bother me a bit.  If you wanna watch its at about the half way point and again at about hree quarters in. 

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/404?ch=1&sd=1    "
I don't think he was insulting Giant bomb. He just gave a random site/
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Bones8677

If he was insulting Giantbomb because of how the 5 star is translated to 10 or 100 points, then he should have equal beef with G4 and all other sites that use the same 5 star system.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Doesn't this stem from the panel Jeff was on at PAX where they talked about review scores and Metacritic? Maybe the Pach Attack was there, scribbling notes down furiously from the sidelines.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pachter is consistently off-base and out of touch with anything he says. Basically any proclamation he makes is bound to be illogical or straight-up false. 

EDIT: To his defense, however, he's definitely not jabbing Giant Bomb.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By the8bitNacho

That didn't sound like an attack or a "beef" to me at all.  It just sounded like he was using them as an example.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I think he's basically talking about how metacritic makes 1 star equate 20 points and how it essentially makes his job harder because he can't rely on metacritic to do his quality quantization for him.  Dude needs to stop metacriticing.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fallen189

Why take it so personally/at all? GB is just another game site.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn
@MrKlorox said:
" He's talking about how metacritic makes 1 star equate 20 points and how it probably makes his job harder because he can't rely on metacritic to do his quality quantization for him.  Dude needs to stop metacriticing. "
The industry in general needs to stop Metacriticing.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" Pachter is consistently off-base and out of touch with anything he says. Basically any proclamation he makes is bound to be illogical or straight-up false.  "
I disagree. Most points he talks about are always about right. And the ones he was wrong about (like Borderlands selling well,) he points out. Pachter is a great anylist. well, I am trying to say, I have no problem with him.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quacktastic

He was using them as an example, since they were just talking about DI, and Giantbomb gave it the lowest score on metacritic.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By emkeighcameron
@Fallen189 said:
" Why take it so personally/at all? GB is just another game site. "
WHAT
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

That dosent sound like a personal attack on Giant Bomb to me just a random site he thought of that tends to give lower scores compared to other sites or potentially a random site that dosent translate well to metacritic.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" Pachter is consistently off-base and out of touch with anything he says. Basically any proclamation he makes is bound to be illogical or straight-up false. "
I love Pachter. I think he's subject to being wrong about things, just as anybody is - but he doesn't get things quite as wrong as people seem to think. Furthermore I find most of the stuff he has to say is intelligent - it's usually based on the evidence, the zeitgeist, and the goings-on of things at the time. Like @BestUsernameEver:  says, he frequently discusses where he's gone wrong in the past. I mean, look at the guys we listen to on podcasts - they get predictions wrong all the time. Listen to early HotSpot episodes for 2005 and 2006 and see how many wrong things you can count there. (Jeff is an exception to this rule, he seems to get stuff pretty much right all the time.) The same applies to the 1UP folk -- Shane Bettenhausen, Garnett Lee, et al. There's this weird irrational hate for Pachter going around the internet that I just can't comprehend. I think he's great.

Mr_JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr_JPeps
@ZanzibarBreeze:  Jeff wasn't on a panle about review scores at PAX this year, the panel he was on was about sequels, he attended a panel about review scores, but still i dont think this has anything to due with that.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Mr_JPeps: Thanks, Tex. Must have gotten my podcast anecdotes mixed up.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By bonbolapti

you guys hurt easy :P

Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nock

fuck i just thought it was cool the site got a plug. GT more then likely has a bit more traffic then GB so if it helps bring more people here I think that's cool (been on the site since the blog days). Plus I think what he was saying is not so much a knock at GB but that your really have to earn your score with these guys, they don't hand out the 5 outa 5's all the time like some sites, ya I'm looking at you xplay......

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Expletive

When in the video does he say it? 

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yinstarrunner

He wasn't bashing Giantbomb at all, just using them as an example.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Expletive

Oh yeah, I don't think he was bashing.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cazamalos

he wasn't bashing giant bomb it was just an example. instead "we" should be happy for the publicity?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By sjschmidt93

No big deal. Just a joke.

morningdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By morningdrive

yeah i thought he was bashing them too. because he brings them up twice and both times he talks about their review scores. Stephen Totillo kinda corrected Pachter and told him they don't go buy 100 points your twisting their review ratings haha