• 112 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I really dont understand the hate people have for IGN. Theyre usually on the ball with there reviews and there indepth, the Staff is pretty cool, They have cool features, great Podcasts, and they dont come across as biased to me (which many people like to think they do.) theyre better than alot of sites out there, like Gamespot. (and im not really saying that Gamespot is trash either, I just dont like them as much as others. Ill still occasionally look at their site)  and IGN is going to be able to get stuff put up faster than Giantbomb, and be able to Review more games. This is not a slight against GB, its just that IGN is much bigger than GB and has more resources. and I use them also for E3 stuff. They stream the conferences and they have all teh trailers and Video and news like right when it happens. I either use them or gamespot to stream the conferences. gamespot had lower qualtiy video last year, but they were ahead of IGNs stream.

I just cant think why people have so much hate for them.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By fwylo

I dislike that amount of ad's that are up there.  But I don't hate them for it, just not my favorite.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By vinsanity09

for me, it all started when they gave God Hand 3.0 out of 10. I never took their reviews seriously after that

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Who has hate?

I'd like some examples/proof before you start putting words in "people's" mouths.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Anybody remember their Christmas game TV special thing? That's why.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
@vinsanity09:

People have different opinons on stuff. I didnt agree with GBs review of BlazBlue, did that make me hate them or discount there reviews in teh future? of course not.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

I just find the sight cluttered, and with other gaming sites that I enjoy alot (mainly Giantbomb) I don't feel the need to go there.  I don't hate the site or anything.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well for me, it started about here:

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By artofwar420

I like the staff, but I don't really visit as much as GB by a long shot, I like their podcasts. Maybe people confuse the staff and the money-hat overseers who, like in many gaming websites, are just after the money. That's the thing that differentiates GB with the rest.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
@TheMustacheHero:

oh please, dont act like peopel always say, "Oh, its IGN, so who cares." Im not going to pull specific examples for you, just use the seach button.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword
@JJWeatherman:

eh, yeah that was pretty bad. But we shouldnt use Jessica Chobot to critique the whole webstie. and shes not always taht bad.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By hockeymask27
@JJWeatherman said:

" Well for me, it started about here:

"
No!!! i had mange to bury that memory of that ever being said. Now it all just came back man, I cant shake the embarrassment it wont go away No!!!!!!!!!!!!.

On a side note, I never really seen hate for Ign i enjoy their site even if its a little ad heavy.
Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Nasos100

personally i think gamespot is ten times better than ign. 
it actually is.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ravensword
@Hockeymask27:

Well, maybe it was just me thats seen it on the site. But alot of people discount there reviews and such.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword
@Nasos100:

I dont hate Gamespot. theyre just not my Favorite anymore. Ill still use them from time to time.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Hockeymask27 said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

"
No!!! i had mange to bury that memory of that ever being said. Now it all just came back man, I cant shake the embarrassment it wont go away No!!!!!!!!!!!!.  On a side note, I never really seen hate for Ign i enjoy their site even if its a little ad heavy. "
Ha ha. Sorry for that.

More seriously though I really don't hate IGN. I would rather go there from time to time than Gamespot. I--like many of you I would assume--still have somewhat of a grudge against Gamespot for their poor handling of the whole "Jeff situation". I don't know if I will ever get over it.
vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vinsanity09
@Raven_Sword: Oh I know that, there a lot of games on different gaming websites that I thinks should've had better review scores, it's all about opinions. But man, that review of God Hand was the worst that I've read in my entire life, and this shouldn't happen on a big website like IGN. I know that it's the opinion of the reviewer but come on, Gamespot gave this game an 8.0 and I think that it has a score of 7.3 on Metacritic.

It's not so much the 3.0 that stings, but the way the review was written, it was just bad, really really bad. If IGN can allow something like that on their website, then sorry, I can't take them seriously.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GunnBjorn

IGN is an okay site that i frequent from time to time. 
And, yes, i admit it, i find Jessica Chobot to be a pleasant projection on my retina.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword
@JJWeatherman:

I wouldnt take that out on the staff though (not saying you are). that was a Gamespot Big Wig thing, the staff had nothing to do with it, and im sure had no choice in the matter. I think it was CNET that did it right? since they own Gamespot or atleast did. I dont blame the Writing staff for what happened, just the big wigs.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

nerds.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas

don't care.

there new website design annoys me tho.  I was looking for their GOTY stuff and couldn't find it anywhere on their homepage.  I eventually found it in the "related videos" area after watching a trailer for a game.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DukeTogo

Because it's a big corporate entity, I'm so tired of mass-market bullshit that tries to cover everything under the Sun but pretends to be a few people reviewing games.  I grew tired of wading through reviews of random TV episodes, top 40 albums, and the latest horribly elitist movie reviews just to see what they gave a game.  It was the same reason I stopped going to Gamespot, UGO, DailyRadar, and Gametrailers.  It's why Giant Bomb is so cool, it IS a group of dudes playing games and talking about them.  The Quick Look is the perfect way to show games off and makes the old corporate "Preview" look like nothing more than the paid advertisement it was.

I also really started to hate on IGN when they started using that cunt Chobot as their mouthpiece, pandering to the stereotypical neckbeard virgin that beats-off to the gamerchix and thinks Morgan Webb is single and actually plays games.  It's insulting to the game playing community and proves they are still in the old days of thinking, even though they've been covering this shit for years.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

EPIC FOR THE WIN!!! haha that's pretty bad, but IGN is fine for previews but otherwise are kind of soul less.  I do appreciate the early look and everything they get and I go there quite a bit, but I don't put that much stock in anything because I don't have the same sort of connection as say, Giantbomb.

Also, the new website sucks balls, so hard to find anything.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Drebin_893
@JJWeatherman said:

"
I'm going to cry.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dont have anything against them, but there site is a bit ugly and everything looks like its thrown all over the place.   
I cant stand spending more then a few seconds looking at it, no idea why. 

Sorry for the bold but i cant unbold it unless i retype the whole thing.... =]

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

They really disrespect their fans, I'm not into the structure of their reviews at all, and they show off Jessica Chobot like shes really hot or something. Guys, if you think shes the hottest thing ever you don't get out much.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

To many ads make it way to cluttered for me. That site is way to busy.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By JJOR64
@JJWeatherman said:

"

No Caption Provided
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dbz1995
@JJWeatherman said:

"
This is actually a valid reason. 

I personally don't hate on IGN, though their reviews and my opinions are normally completely different. Also, Giantbomb are awesome in every way-why should I ditch them?
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Mushir

I don't really hate them but here are a few reasons why I dislike them:

• The site is very ad-heavy. They even have those ads they call eyeblaster ads, which basically replace the whole site with a flash ad and completely make the site unusable.
  • I don't know how the PS3 and 360 game reviewers are but for the Wii they can be very biased with or against a game. Like how The Conduit got a 8.6 and MW Reflex got a 7 or something. I just really hate that Matt guy.
  • Podcasts are rarely entertaining for me.
  • They post way too many Top 100 or Top 10 lists just to gain hits.
  • They know that sex sells and they aren't afraid to use it all the time all over the site. Seriously I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Jessica Chobot in absolutely every video feature they produce.
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By taccyp

I guess IGN just seems dauntingly huge and commercial at this point (which it is I suppose). 

I still like IGN a lot and I check out the site almost every day, but the reason I visit Giantbomb more than IGN is because the Giantbomb staff reaches out to the community more so than any other site. When I think of Giantbomb I think of Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Dave, and Drew. When I think of IGN I think of some mechanical corporate entity.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think they've been pretty shit ever since they parted with the best videogame journalist ever, fellow Brit Julian Rignall who started them up as Editorial Director in the mid 90's. He put them on the right track and gave them a unique identity as games site, but it's one that has slowly but surely been ebbing away since he left. The site is now far removed from the site he created.

DapperDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DapperDan

I cant think of a better reason than this:

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By sjschmidt93
@vinsanity09 said:
" for me, it all started when they gave God Hand 3.0 out of 10. I never took their reviews seriously after that "
Yeah. One review means you should dismiss it all.@JJWeatherman said:

"

No Caption Provided
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MeierTheRed

I don't hate them they have just as valid opinions as Giantbomb or any other game site has. Though i fucking hate gamer blogs,  they are the trash of the internet.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HaltIamReptar

There is virtually no quality in their writing.

That is the beginning and end for me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@JJWeatherman said:

"
Ugh. That was... painful. And also a perfect reason why I don't like IGN. It's a corporate zombie that tries too hard to be not corporate and ends up feeling wholly artificial as a result. The reviews fully represent the old saying "You can't spell ignorant without IGN". They tend to overrate pretty much everything. Oh, and also the ads have a tendency to slow down my browser with their volume.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By evanbrau

I haven't used their site much but as I've been looking recently for a replacement podcast for Idle Thumbs (RIP) I've heard loads of the IGN ones and while nothing like Idle Thumbs I enjoy the three red lights podcast. Those videos posted above are cringeworthy though. When it comes to reviews and such I use the aggregators instead of relying on one specific site, I've never encountered someone who can reliably recommend to my taste so an average works out better.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daryl

Jessica Robot :)

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By ki11tank
@Nasos100 said:
" personally i think gamespot is ten times better than ign.  it actually is. "
yea if gb doesn't have something i'm looking for i'll still go to gs, ign i rarely visit as i feel the site is cluttered and generally full of shit, actually i'll even go to gt now over ign.

gb wins becasuse it's fucking awesome, and i guess gs still kinda wins for me simply because I've been a member there since i was old enough to actually like games and i still enoy a few features of the site.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Andorski

IGN is great, solely for the reason that they have no problems taking reader comments/reactions and blatantly calling them stupid and childish.

Really though... I don't think IGN is that bad.  I think a lot of their problems stemmed from having their editors dedicated to single platforms, which gave them an unnecessary bias when reviewing games.  Luckily, Hilary Goldstein changed their staff structure since he became EIC.  While they do just publish press releases (freakin' lazy way to relay news to their readers), there recently has been a bigger push for more feature articles.  Most of them aren't that great ('Trophies are better than Achievements' and 'Trophies and Achievements are both stupid' being prime examples), but their new article on when satisfactory game design is not satisfactory anymore was a fun read.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Gamescoop s funny but the community is awful and the reviews tend to be pretty bad.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@Twilight said:
" I don't really hate them but here are a few reasons why I dislike them:

• The site is very ad-heavy. They even have those ads they call eyeblaster ads, which basically replace the whole site with a flash ad and completely make the site unusable.
  • I don't know how the PS3 and 360 game reviewers are but for the Wii they can be very biased with or against a game. Like how The Conduit got a 8.6 and MW Reflex got a 7 or something. I just really hate that Matt guy.
  • Podcasts are rarely entertaining for me.
  • They post way too many Top 100 or Top 10 lists just to gain hits.
  • They know that sex sells and they aren't afraid to use it all the time all over the site. Seriously I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Jessica Chobot in absolutely every video feature they produce.
"
Exactly!  Jessica Chobot does not seem to know too much about games and how they work.  I was watching some of IGN's E3 walkthrough videos, and some pretty stupid stuff came out of her mouth.
Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Valestis

Well I don't hate IGN. I think their Three Red Lights and Game Scoop! podcasts are great, especially when Hilary is on.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By TomA

They try too hard. And they're business practices remind me of post catastrophe Gamespot. They're BUSINESS practices only, i love some of the guys there.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60

That was epic!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

I also might be stopping in now to see their new Quick Look ripoff, if they tend to QL different games than GB on a regular basis. The commentary won't be up to snuff (streaming questions from the IGN community, what are they thinking?) but I'm fond of the concept, so the more people who do that the better.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thecleric

They gave God Hand a 3, they don't know what fun is.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho

That specific review and the petty way the 'reviewer' handled his feedback, literally saying in the same breath "its just one guy's opinion" then lying and saying "everyone in the office felt the same way" when really nobody else even knew about the game (according to another person in the office) kind of sealed the deal on that site's integrity. So they're like children. I can laugh at children, that's why I like their podcast, I just don't listen to children.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50  Edited By Cerza
@DukeTogo said:
" Because it's a big corporate entity, I'm so tired of mass-market bullshit that tries to cover everything under the Sun but pretends to be a few people reviewing games.  I grew tired of wading through reviews of random TV episodes, top 40 albums, and the latest horribly elitist movie reviews just to see what they gave a game.  It was the same reason I stopped going to Gamespot, UGO, DailyRadar, and Gametrailers.  It's why Giant Bomb is so cool, it IS a group of dudes playing games and talking about them.  The Quick Look is the perfect way to show games off and makes the old corporate "Preview" look like nothing more than the paid advertisement it was. I also really started to hate on IGN when they started using that cunt Chobot as their mouthpiece, pandering to the stereotypical neckbeard virgin that beats-off to the gamerchix and thinks Morgan Webb is single and actually plays games.  It's insulting to the game playing community and proves they are still in the old days of thinking, even though they've been covering this shit for years. "
This pretty much sums it up for me.