Why do people like Gears so much?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'm just curious for your opinion on this: Why do people like gears of war so much?  I personally think that while it is a good game,  it's more of that solid AA shooter, not a AAA holy shit shooter, certainly not on the level of something like Halo (dont make it halo vs. gears, just a good example).

So really, do you guys actually like gears that much?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

cuz ther r chaynsow go rrrrrrrrrrrr n teh beestys go graaaaaaa

k?

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Riddler

Because Young Clifford Blizenski is more Sexay than some nerd who coded halo

caption
caption

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan

I just played it for the first time this weekend (all of co-op with my bro), and I think the reason why I enjoyed it so much was it's intensity and realism.

It's a game that emphasized (for me, anyways) teamwork and co-ordination. It is, at times, a very intense experience (near the end I was still being surprised with some of the stuff that was going on. I also liked all of the characters in the main story, the graphics were incredible, I actually noticed that the A.I. was good (in my opinion), I like shooters anyways, and the weapons were pretty wicked (I love me some chainsaws).

Those are the reasons why I liked it, if I think about it.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Well, the multi-player was great before it was broken.....hehe.

I think Gears 2 is going to justify its popularity more then Gears did. Gears was a great start but in retrospect it had some really goofy issues. Plus, they put out some patches for the online portion that really ruined whatever was there.

It's fun though. That's the important thing, it's fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

And this didn't deserve to be put it the Gears of War forum why?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
Gorillawhat said:
"And this didn't deserve to be put it the Gears of War forum why?"

Don't be "that guy."
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I dont know. I just dont know.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Gorillawhat said:
because then I wouldn't get a wide view?  It's like putting up a poll for whether abortion is okay or not in a christain convention
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

I know you don't want to compare Halo and Gears, but Gears is just by far a better game and Halo 3 is just complete shit.
Gears does the better directing, voice acting, animation, graphics, and the dialouge is alot better than Halo.

Gears is a solid 9, while Halo 3 would end up in the 7.0 category if it wasn't for the online.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Gorillawhat said:
because then I wouldn't get a wide view?  It's like putting up a poll for whether abortion is okay or not in a christain convention"

Although the guy is a tool for telling you to do that, all topics go into Newest Topics so a new post or a post that is being bumped frequently will always be viewed.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Player1

It's baddass, theres a lot of blood, the story is compelling enough to keep you playing, there is always new things, the multiplayer is fun. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru

I love Gears of War and I haven't even played the multi-player yet. I just think it's a really solid game. Smooth controls, excellent AI, tons of re-playability, great voice acting, good characters. It also has a good back-story, even though that isn't focused on in the game.

Those are just some of my reasons.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Terrell

Different people have different tastes.... Alot of those people happen to like Gears of War, and alot of people happen to not like it.  That doesn't make either side of those people wrong in any way...

Avatar image for deactivated-597fb42f4841d
deactivated-597fb42f4841d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears is definitely a more adrenaline-filled, cinematic experience than a game like halo. It's just a shame the netcode in the first game was trash, hence undermining it's potential as a multiplayer game. Here's hoping to Gears 2 putting that potential to good use! From what I played, I think it has, I just need to play it online until i form an opinion.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver

Because it's a lot of god damn fun.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It sacrifices nothing for great mechanics. Everything just feels right.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Virago
DualReaver said:
"Because it's a lot of god damn fun."
Yep. That's why people play games. 
I rarely play games because they make me feel miserable. 
Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hulk
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"Well, the multi-player was great before it was broken.....hehe.

I think Gears 2 is going to justify its popularity more then Gears did. Gears was a great start but in retrospect it had some really goofy issues. Plus, they put out some patches for the online portion that really ruined whatever was there.

It's fun though. That's the important thing, it's fun."
This.
jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jlaudio7

because it is fun and BAD. ASS.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By SSbabel

Good story, fast action gameplay, great control mechanics, sweet weapons (chainsaw for destroying faces) and dope visual effects, what isnt there to like about GOW.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas

It's mindless, story second fun. It uses the cover system brilliantly.

And you have rifle. With a FUCKING CHAINSAW on it.
Shad0wsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shad0wsun

Meh, I used to love Gears back when it WAS a tactical shooter. Now it's just about as retarded as Halo. The Lancer is now no more than a Pea-shooter and the shotgun is an overpowered peice of shit that has almost killed the gameplay. Gears never used to be say, Rainbow Six or Brothers in Arms in realism, but now it's just a bunch of people running around shotgunning each other like retards. Hopefully Gears 2 won't be killed by a bunch of updates and have it's player's use tactics other than "Shotgun Bum Rush" or "Sniper Spot Rape".

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Randolph
Gorillawhat said:
The game specific forums are as dead as a doornail.  The point of forum posts is discussion, and these forums need a focused place for that, this "everything has a forum so use them" idea is a spectacular failure.  People will only put up with little to no response so much before they say "fuck it" and walk away from this community for a more active one.  The spread shot forums idea, it just doesn't work.
Alynablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alynablaze

i like i cuz of its chainsaw

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warchief

because it over the top violent, and has some solid gameplay mechanics.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK

lets face it roadie running, host advantage, bullet lag all suck but when you kill someone on gears it's just such a great sensation. there really isn't another game quite like it. i mean HEADSHOT DECAPITATIONS and people falling to bits with chainsaws and shotguns and grenades = unbeatable.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47
SmugDarkLoser said:
"I'm just curious for your opinion on this: Why do people like gears of war so much?  I personally think that while it is a good game,  it's more of that solid AA shooter, not a AAA holy shit shooter, certainly not on the level of something like Halo (dont make it halo vs. gears, just a good example).

So really, do you guys actually like gears that much?"
You have to be joking, Halo stopped being a "AAA" shooter after Halo:CE. Thats a fact, yeah the mulitplayer got better, but the single player took a drive from heaven into hell thanks to halo 2, and then halo 3 just became the clear up crew. Gears of War was very much a set up, and now the are starting to get into everything that they said would make this series great.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Randolph
Pibo47 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"I'm just curious for your opinion on this: Why do people like gears of war so much?  I personally think that while it is a good game,  it's more of that solid AA shooter, not a AAA holy shit shooter, certainly not on the level of something like Halo (dont make it halo vs. gears, just a good example).

You have to be joking, Halo stopped being a "AAA" shooter after Halo:CE. Thats a fact, yeah the mulitplayer got better, but the single player took a drive from heaven into hell thanks to halo 2, and then halo 3 just became the clear up crew. Gears of War was very much a set up, and now the are starting to get into everything that they said would make this series great."
I think you have opinions and facts confused with each other, a basic internet forum goer logical fallacy.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK
Pibo47 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

You have to be joking, Halo stopped being a "AAA" shooter after Halo:CE. Thats a fact, yeah the mulitplayer got better, but the single player took a drive from heaven into hell thanks to halo 2, and then halo 3 just became the clear up crew. Gears of War was very much a set up, and now the are starting to get into everything that they said would make this series great."
failz0r. the single player definitely did get worse (apart from the really awesome huge vehicle based battles of halo 3) but if the multiplayer got better, and leaps and bounds better with 3 how does it stop being AAA? besides halo 1, 2 and 3 are all the same at it's core except halo 1 just had the most amazing SP level design ever. and decent marines.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Meowayne

You didn't really think this was not going to be a  Halo vs. Gears desaster with an opening statement like this?

Halo3 MP > Gears MP
Halo3 3/4-player Co-Op Campaign > Gears Co-Op-Campaign

However

Local Splitscreen Gears Campaign > Halo3 local splitscreen campaign
and
Gears SP Campaign >>> Halo 3 SP Campaign

Also, Gears is a 2005 game, and most of it's fans played it in '05. This must be taken into consideration when judging game quality.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pibo47
crunchUK said:
"Pibo47 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

failz0r. the single player definitely did get worse (apart from the really awesome huge vehicle based battles of halo 3) but if the multiplayer got better, and leaps and bounds better with 3 how does it stop being AAA? besides halo 1, 2 and 3 are all the same at it's core except halo 1 just had the most amazing SP level design ever. and decent marines."
Halo in now way shape or form has the "most amazing SP level design ever". What about the half-life series. WHat about DooM, quake, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bioshock, system shock, deus ex? Dude, your crazy.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pibo47

I love halo, but the only halo game that reaches "god" status is Halo:CE. That is the only one that will go down as one of the greatest FPS's ever. the rest will be forgotten. Gears on the other hand re-invented the cover system, so now everybody is using it, and it has some of the BEST gameplay of any game i have ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiggerBomb said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Gorillawhat said:
because then I wouldn't get a wide view?  It's like putting up a poll for whether abortion is okay or not in a christain convention"

Although the guy is a tool for telling you to do that, all topics go into Newest Topics so a new post or a post that is being bumped frequently will always be viewed."
I didn't mean to be a tool, just pointing out that if everyone posts game specific threads in the general forum all the time then it kind of defeats the purpose of having individual game forums.
Avatar image for deactivated-597fb42f4841d
deactivated-597fb42f4841d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pibo47 said:
"I love halo, but the only halo game that reaches "god" status is Halo:CE. That is the only one that will go down as one of the greatest FPS's ever. the rest will be forgotten. Gears on the other hand re-invented the cover system, so now everybody is using it, and it has some of the BEST gameplay of any game i have ever played."
Not really, it just popularized it.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
TouchMyBox said:
"Pibo47 said:
"I love halo, but the only halo game that reaches "god" status is Halo:CE. That is the only one that will go down as one of the greatest FPS's ever. the rest will be forgotten. Gears on the other hand re-invented the cover system, so now everybody is using it, and it has some of the BEST gameplay of any game i have ever played."
Not really, it just popularized it."
yea.
and if we're comparing it to halo, didn't halo... um... you know... set the trends for just about any modern fps? 

Anyway, boarding > you.
Seriously, do any games besides halo even do boarding?  Not talking about hijacking, but straight up FPS boarding.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK
SmugDarkLoser said:
"TouchMyBox said:
"Pibo47 said:
Not really, it just popularized it."
yea.
and if we're comparing it to halo, didn't halo... um... you know... set the trends for just about any modern fps? 

Anyway, boarding > you.
Seriously, do any games besides halo even do boarding?  Not talking about hijacking, but straight up FPS boarding."
do any games beside halo rock so much? :P
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Relys

Because it's the second best game on the 360. (Besides CoD4).

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crunchUK
Relys said:
"Because it's the second best game on the 360. (Besides CoD4)."
LOLWTFLMAOBBQ?
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Relys
crunchUK said:
"Relys said:
"Because it's the second best game on the 360. (Besides CoD4)."
LOLWTFLMAOBBQ?"
Well, GTA is very good too.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pause422

I'm not a huge fan of gears in general because it has a lot of flaws, but the satisfaction of the kills you got are pretty unmatched to any recent game..it just doesn't compare. Killing people in halo always feels like your shooting them with a damn paintball gun. The guns sound terrible, all the alien weapons look like children toys...so much more. Its simple though, if a game is fun..people 'like' it, or enjoy it..thats why people like gears so much..its fun, and very satisfying to kill people in it...if anyone played games to not enjoy them, then , I'd say they have some issues that need to be worked out.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrGetBonus
pause422 said:
" ....but the satisfaction of the kills you got are pretty unmatched to any recent game..it just doesn't compare..."
Thank you very much. That right there is one of main reasons I still enjoy playing gears. Getting headshots and hearing their head just POP and explode as their body falls lifeless to the ground or seeing someone go around a corner then hear a shotgun blast and see their body parts fly back out is one of the most amazingly  entertaining and satisfying things in game.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pause422

Yep, the same reasons I enjoyed Ninja Gaiden 2 more so then I probably would have if you couldn't cut people into little bits and pieces.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By breadfan

Oh hey, this again.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Edin899

First gears is one of the most amazing multiplayer games i have played, trully amazing and awesome. ! second gears of war is a pile of dog shit.