Why haven't Action-RPGs evolved past Diablo II?

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By ATrevelan

I bought Torchlight a few months back to get a quick Action-RPG fix (the $5 asking price didn't hurt either) but it didn't hit me until recently that I didn't need to. I already have Titan Quest, Space Siege, the Dark Alliance games for PS2, and the awesomely bad Sacred 2 to keep me company. 

There's something distinct about all of those games, but nothing that clearly differentiates them from any other loot-based point and click game. Developers have had so much time since Diablo II to move the genre forward and yet they haven't. I'd love for someone to bring something new and interesting to the table, but the more ARPGs I play the more I start to believe that the genre makes that almost impossible.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ATrevelan

I bought Torchlight a few months back to get a quick Action-RPG fix (the $5 asking price didn't hurt either) but it didn't hit me until recently that I didn't need to. I already have Titan Quest, Space Siege, the Dark Alliance games for PS2, and the awesomely bad Sacred 2 to keep me company. 

There's something distinct about all of those games, but nothing that clearly differentiates them from any other loot-based point and click game. Developers have had so much time since Diablo II to move the genre forward and yet they haven't. I'd love for someone to bring something new and interesting to the table, but the more ARPGs I play the more I start to believe that the genre makes that almost impossible.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

I dunno If I'd call those Action-RPGs as much as I would call most of them straight up Diablo clones. I would call Dragon Age more of an action RPG than Torchlight or Titan's Quest.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

They aren't very different from one another, but Torchlight did make some improvements.  I look forward to the MMO the devs of Torchlight want to make.  That's what I need to actually be motivated to search for loot.  I gotta be able to show it off, and use it with my friends in battle to overcome stronger enemies, otherwise it feels too lonely. 

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ATrevelan
@DOUBLESHOCK: I hear you there. I'm not an MMO guy--I tried WoW for a while and it didn't really do it for me--but I'd like to see what they come up with, too. 

Of course, I'll probably just end up waiting for the Old Republic, but I plan to keep an eye on Runic nonetheless.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

because the next step of evolution would be god of war 3 with loot and inventory... oh hey that's not a bad idea.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

They have, only people don't classify them as such if they evolve too much. Kind of like how fighting games that actually try something different aren't "real" fighting games.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By monetarydread

Because people, like me, still have DIablo II on our PC's. It's a solid design and I would pay $60 to Blizzard if they took Diablo II, re-rendered it in HD, then sold the product.

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By ApolloJ85
@MonetaryDread:  
You'll get your chance to do just that when they release Diablo 3 in a couple of years
niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By niamahai
@MonetaryDread said:
" Because people, like me, still have DIablo II on our PC's. It's a solid design and I would pay $60 to Blizzard if they took Diablo II, re-rendered it in HD, then sold the product. "
YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NEW THINGS!
Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the problem is you're still playing pc games.
let the sick dog die

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By niamahai
@hedfone said:
" the problem is you're still playing pc games. let the sick dog die "
oh my. them be  fighting words son!
Yoshiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yoshiya

The problem is that you restrict 'Action RPGs' to a set of games more accurately described as Diablo clones.  That is, they are like Diablo as they were created with the intention to be like Diablo. Perhaps if you tried games like The World Ends with You, Nier or, to a certain extent, Assassin's Creed II, you'd find the Action RPG genre (ie. elements of action based games and RPGs combined) is far from stagnant.

Edit: I suggest you check out the recent episode of Active Time Babble, 1up's RPG podcast, where they discuss exactly what defines an action RPG.  Interesting for any fan of the genre.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
@hedfone said:
" I don't have a PC capable of playing modern PC games and know nothing about them, sour grapes.                                        "
Poor guy.
grossblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By grossblood

nobody even knows what this topic is about anyways!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zityz

Not a huge Improvement, but I love titans quest show of power with physics.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By zombie2011

wouldn't ME2 be considered an action RPG?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jams
@Marz said:
" because the next step of evolution would be god of war 3 with loot and inventory... oh hey that's not a bad idea. "
Wow, I think you nailed that one in the head. I would have never thought of GoW being the next evolutionary step in Diablo style game. But it makes perfect sense.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By damswedon
@jams said:
" @Marz said:
" because the next step of evolution would be god of war 3 with loot and inventory... oh hey that's not a bad idea. "
Wow, I think you nailed that one in the head. I would have never thought of GoW being the next evolutionary step in Diablo style game. But it makes perfect sense. "
what about Fable, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Nier or Kingdom Hearts.
Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Arestice

I had no idea that the game market for ARPGs was flooded with Diablo-esque games.

Because it isn't.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gike987
@zombie2011 said:
" wouldn't ME2 be considered an action RPG? "
Every recent RPG except Dragon age can be considered an action RPG.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jimbo

Torchlight had a dog.  What more do you want?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jams
@damswedon said:
" @jams said:
" @Marz said:
Wow, I think you nailed that one in the head. I would have never thought of GoW being the next evolutionary step in Diablo style game. But it makes perfect sense. "
what about Fable, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Nier or Kingdom Hearts. "
Yeah that's true. I guess God of War just hit me as Diablo. Maybe it's all the gore.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

All those games are basically Diablo clones.  If that's your definition of action-RPG then you're going to be disappointed by things being too similar to Diablo 2.  Games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, and Demon's Souls are action-RPGs that don't have a huge amount in common with Diablo.

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Food

hellgate london made significant changes to the formula but it sucked

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By djaoni
@gike987 said:

" @zombie2011 said:

" wouldn't ME2 be considered an action RPG? "
Every recent RPG except Dragon age can be considered an action RPG. "

Only Borderlands can be called a loot based one though and ME2 is a TPS with some dialog choices.

These days just about everything could be called an Action RPG but it used to be only Diablo clones and that's clearly what he's talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Spoonman671: I'm not sure I would count Oblivion or Fallout 3 as action RPG's.  They are in Real Time (sans VATS), but I don't know if that makes them actiony*.  Diablo II is about clicking Thousands of monsters to death and collecting.  Mass Effect 2 is a mix of shooting stuff and talking to people.  Oblivion and Fallout, for me at least, were really about exploring a space.  The fact that the combat took place in real time always seemed to be more do to the fact that any turn based system would be contrived and annoying. 

Either way, my point is mostly irrelevant to the subject at hand.  There have been some excellent Action RPG's since Diablo II, many of which were more ambitious and more progressive than Diablo II.  However, no game for me has matched Diablo's loot thing.  Your's running that treadmill, but it feels like eating cake.

*fake word.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By penguindust

They have progressed past Diablo II, but if you only view action-RPGs as these Diablo-like games then it will seem like that.  However, games like Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, and even more sandboxy games like InFamous are evolved forms of the genre.  Just because they aren't direct and recognizable versions of Diablo, doesn't mean that they aren't also RPGs that have a strong focus of real-time action or action games with heavy RPG elements.