Why is there no half star rating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

monkeybot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By monkeybot

It seems like they give out way too many perfect scores. I'm not lamenting their reluctance to grade on a 1-10 point scale , but it seems they should and least add a half star. Don't you think?(I do actually read the reviews)

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Because there are words underneath the stars. And those words will always tell a better review than any number you see.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

well a 1-5 scale with halves is a 1-10 scale in a way

but i digress
anyway i think it's simpler and gives the ease of just saying a game is Great, good, decent, not too good, Rock Revolution (worst. christmas. ever.)
also if i remember correctly... they've addressed this before... hopefully someone can enlighten us on that

EDIT: ^ Fr0Br0 is right in many ways XD
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

http://www.giantbomb.com/help/

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
monkeybot said:
"It seems like they give out way too many perfect scores. I'm not lamenting their reluctance to grade on a 1-10 point scale , but it seems they should and least add a half star. Don't you think?(I do actually read the reviews)"
Because there is really no reason. They are trying to tell people whether a game is bad, average, or good, not how game A compares to game B. with your logic, why not have 1/20th of a star?
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Absurd
License_To_Bill said:
"http://www.giantbomb.com/help/"

What's the Deal With Your Rating System?

Giant Bomb reviews games on a five-star scale that does not include half-stars. We feel that this benefits our reviews for a number of reasons. Five-star rating systems are a widely accepted standard outside the field of video games, from Amazon.com to The Source, and we feel that the pervasiveness of the five-star system makes it more intuitive for the reader.

It also helps avoid the hair-splitting that can occur within more granular rating systems. A score is designed to provide the most basic at-a-glance information about a game for those considering making a game purchase--it is not there to justify/attack anyone's entrenched position on the relative value of one video-game franchise, developer, publisher, or hardware manufacturer versus another. We include the full text of the review for those looking for more detail.

We do not use any algorithms to reach our final scores, relying instead on the experience of the reviewer. While fundamental issues such as graphical performance and gameplay originality will almost always be factors in determining a final score, it ultimately comes down to how worthwhile the reviewer found the whole experience to be. If that's not enough, here are some simple illustrations we think you'll find helpful:

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoG

This thread has served its purpose.